post #361 of 2606 Old 12-28-2006, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Likes_Games View Post

Now, bring on Halo 3!

The 360 and HD1000U combo is something beautiful.... Right now it is the only source I have connected to the PJ and it look KILLER. Santa brought me PGR3 for Xmas and it is AWESOME on that large of a screen at 720p....

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2606 Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM

I just purchased this machine, moving up from the SP4805... I have a white screen right now and was planning to sell it with my 4805...

I have a gallon of the Behr Silverscreen paint from home D., which had been recommended on this forum for the 4805.... Do you think this would be good for the HD1000U? Otherwise I just have flat white walls... but thinking the silverscreen would be better.

I do plan to mask off my screen also, trying to design a good easily moveable masking for different content. fun stuff!

Thanks!

Dale Jacobs
post #363 of 2606 Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeradin View Post

I just purchased this machine, moving up from the SP4805... I have a white screen right now and was planning to sell it with my 4805...

I have a gallon of the Behr Silverscreen paint from home D., which had been recommended on this forum for the 4805.... Do you think this would be good for the HD1000U? Otherwise I just have flat white walls... but thinking the silverscreen would be better.

I do plan to mask off my screen also, trying to design a good easily moveable masking for different content. fun stuff!

Thanks!

Dale Jacobs

its a better fit for the mits than it was for the 4805 due to the added lumens...and it should help black level
post #364 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 AM

I did purchase Mit1000U and it is been 2 weeks. The movie looks darker than my friends projector Infocus 4805. Dark movies like MI3 and Pirates of Carib are not enjoyable to watch in this projector. Darker seens are even darker and Bright seens are Brighter(Break UP movie). Anyone experiencing this issue? Dark movies are not enjoyable? I tried lamp to Standard still no help. Here is my setup? Can please someone help me to diagnose this problem?

HD1000U Ceiling Mounted 15' Away from Screen
106" Elitech Grey Screen
Sony DVP-NS75H DVD player Tried both (480i and 480P)
Component Cable Connection (25 feet)
Dark Blue Ceiling, Skyblue Wall.

Is there anything I can do with Gamma or Color Temp to increase the brightness? Can someone explain what it does? Dark movies are not enjoyable.. Please help?

Thanks
post #365 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 AM

Okay - probably not the absolutely correct forum, but it might be the correct audience for this question....

1. I am a newbie
2. I have ordered a HD1000U which will be delivered today
3. I have purchased a Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB to go with it

So HD1000U users - please tell me what DVD player YOU would buy to go with this stuff. The only DVD players we have in the house now are some rinky-dink APEX machines we picked up at WalMart for about $50 or less - I am guessing I need to upgrade

Oh and since I haven't actually set any of this up yet - please please feel free to tell me exactly what cables and accessories I still need to buy.

Thank you so much in advance!
post #366 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 07:26 AM

To add to Baum Threat's great questions, I have a related one. I have had my HD1000U for a couple weeks and just in the last few days, I have noticed lines moving up the picture. It is not noticable all the time, but is a concern for sure. They are green or purple in color usually. I am guessing it is the component cable I am using. I had it hooked up to the cable box through the receiver and then tried to hook it up directly to the cable box -- same thing. I have shut off the cable box and they are still present with a black screen. I don't have a DVD player yet (used my xbox which has a composite hookup) so I can't test it on anything else. I have not tried any other cables because the only other ones I have are only 6 ft and my PJ is mounted to the ceiling.

Has anyone else experienced this?
post #367 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayVeera View Post

I did purchase Mit1000U and it is been 2 weeks. The movie looks darker than my friends projector Infocus 4805. Dark movies like MI3 and Pirates of Carib are not enjoyable to watch in this projector. Darker seens are even darker and Bright seens are Brighter(Break UP movie). Anyone experiencing this issue? Dark movies are not enjoyable? I tried lamp to Standard still no help. Here is my setup? Can please someone help me to diagnose this problem?

106" Elitech Grey Screen

Is there anything I can do with Gamma or Color Temp to increase the brightness? Can someone explain what it does? Dark movies are not enjoyable.. Please help?

Thanks

I'd start by running a calibration dvd for starters under the conditions you do your critical viewing in
post #368 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baum Threat View Post

Okay - probably not the absolutely correct forum, but it might be the correct audience for this question....

1. I am a newbie
2. I have ordered a HD1000U which will be delivered today
3. I have purchased a Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB to go with it

So HD1000U users - please tell me what DVD player YOU would buy to go with this stuff. The only DVD players we have in the house now are some rinky-dink APEX machines we picked up at WalMart for about $50 or less - I am guessing I need to upgrade

Oh and since I haven't actually set any of this up yet - please please feel free to tell me exactly what cables and accessories I still need to buy.

Thank you so much in advance!

I am using an Oppo 970 hooked up via HDMI, a Pioneer 578A via component, and also the xbox360 HD-DVD drive via VGA.

The HD drive is simply jaw dropping. The Oppo is no slouch as it can upconvert, and the Pioneer is still really good as a 480p machine.

Personally, the Oppo is your best "out of the box" option IMHO. ($150)

Below are two screenshots. The first is the Oppo of the regular King Kong DVD set to output 1080i. The second pic is just about the same frame via the HD-DVD drive into the Mits VGA input. Each input had minimal calibration when i took these pics (low lamp mode was only adjustment.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #369 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 08:33 AM

I'm a new owner as well & I'm thrilled with my unit .... Can you suggest where to get a decent calibration cd ??? Also, I'm still waiting to hear from other owners that may have added a video processor. I understand the HD1000 has a VP built in but I've read where a VP can still improve the PQ ..... especially SD.
post #370 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebedaman View Post

To add to Baum Threat's great questions, I have a related one. I have had my HD1000U for a couple weeks and just in the last few days, I have noticed lines moving up the picture. It is not noticable all the time, but is a concern for sure. They are green or purple in color usually. I am guessing it is the component cable I am using. I had it hooked up to the cable box through the receiver and then tried to hook it up directly to the cable box -- same thing. I have shut off the cable box and they are still present with a black screen. I don't have a DVD player yet (used my xbox which has a composite hookup) so I can't test it on anything else. I have not tried any other cables because the only other ones I have are only 6 ft and my PJ is mounted to the ceiling.

If it is shaded bands moving up the picture, it could be a groundloop problem. But what you describe sounds more like an individual black or purple line...is that correct?
post #371 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 09:35 AM

I'm not sure how to describe it exactly. It is a line or set of lines moving up the picture in a steady motion. I think the color of the lines depends on the picture itself. What is a groundloop problem?
post #372 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens View Post

I got my HD1000u over the holidays, updated from an X1. I love the picture! also I decided to try the Samsung dtb-h260f Hdtv tuner, (there is a thread here with the info on it). I can't believe how good the Hd looks through the projector! It tuned about 34 Digital signal channels- more than I would have thought. I'm about 20 miles and over the hill from most of the towers using an attic antenna I put up there 8 years ago. Thanks to all of you for your input on this projector! I have read this forum for years now, and have really got some great info here! Happy Holidays!!

I think the SIR-TS360 will do the trick--i.e. give me OTA HD and serve as a tuner for analog cable. I want OTA HD as well as the the capability for OTA HD, but I don't want to shell out the extra $$$ right now for digital cable. I see it's available on Ebay for $50-$180. Does this sound like the best solution?
post #373 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM

Just ordered mine today, I was shocked at how low the price was.

Question: Does anyone have any calibration numbers, particularly if you are using low lamp or a white/BOC screen?

My first proj, and I want to get right to evaluating it and not burn up lamp time (and the window I can return it in if I don't like it) by calibrating. I'll do my own calibration also (GetGray) after I'm certain I'll keep it, but for now I just want some numbers to plug in and go.
post #374 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EocThermos View Post

Question: Does anyone have any calibration numbers, particularly if you are using low lamp or a white/BOC screen?

I'm interested in knowing this info as well. When I set the PJ up in the house I would like to hit the ground running with a basic config that is better then out-of-the-box... Although if you ask me the out-of-the-box config is pretty good, but then again, I am projecting on a doorway for now.....

Mark

post #375 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I've been looking at screen samples to try to pick a screen for my hd1000u projector, and my experience to date (with Carada and Dalite grey screens) is that high contrast grey screens look relatively bad with this projector - exactly as you describe (and as those companies predicted). The flat white 0.95 or 1.0 gain white screens, on the other hand, look great (IMHO)! I've got my projector stopped down about as far as it can go, and it still looks good - great brights, great blacks.

So, I'm not familiar with the Elitech grey screen, but you may want to try it on a white screen. Most/all of the companies will happily send you samples - just call em.

-Reid
post #376 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid_T View Post

I've been looking at screen samples to try to pick a screen for my hd1000u projector, and my experience to date (with Carada and Dalite grey screens) is that high contrast grey screens look relatively bad with this projector - exactly as you describe (and as those companies predicted). The flat white 0.95 or 1.0 gain white screens, on the other hand, look great (IMHO)! I've got my projector stopped down about as far as it can go, and it still looks good - great brights, great blacks.

So, I'm not familiar with the Elitech grey screen, but you may want to try it on a white screen. Most/all of the companies will happily send you samples - just call em.

-Reid

to impove blacks a gray screen also crushes all the other colors just as much...
Thats why I stand by my theory that plain old blackout cloth is as good as any screen in a light controlled room...(flat white surface)
post #377 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrx View Post

Below are two screenshots. The first is the Oppo of the regular King Kong DVD set to output 1080i.

I'm curious. Why would you not upconvert to 720p and achieve 1:1 pixel mapping on the HD1000U in this case?
post #378 of 2606 Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokus View Post

I'm curious. Why would you not upconvert to 720p and achieve 1:1 pixel mapping on the HD1000U in this case?

some like higher software interpreted res better...the projector can utilize the added res from 1080i...its not just downscaled to 720p...like everyone seems to think....just like a 1200dpi hardware scanner can software interpolate up to 2400dpi the projector software interpolates...with the scaler and does its best to display 1080i lines of added detail on 720p lines of res...actually 1080i isn't 1080 lines of res to begin win since its interlaced (1080P is)..I'm probably wrong about this part but I thought it was only 540 lines at a time...alternating real fast.. Anyway the 1080i can look better than 720p on a 720p projector especially if the native res of the acually image feed is 1080i. But sharper things like text won't be as crisp...this is the same reason HDTV looks better than standard native dvd on a 480p projector...

My theroy has always been if you have the added (real) resolution itsbest to feed it to the projector and see what the scaler/ deinterlacer can do with it rather than rely on the scaler of the feeding source to take it away.
post #379 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 05:46 AM

Do you think a video processor is worthwhile with the HD1000U ????
post #380 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebedaman View Post

I'm putting the farm on cabling. I just add a 360 to my arsenal and I bought a switchbox. The switchbox did not close to what you are saying but exactly what you are saying on my LCD TV and LCD Projector. I took the switchbox out and it's all-clean again. So with that it's a switchbox or cables in some manner. It was very noticeable to me in Corpse Bride's B&W'ish scenes. Heck the wife saw it, lol.
post #381 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

106" Elitech Grey Screen

Thanks

One thing that sticks out is the Grey Screen.
post #382 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post

My preference for HD1000u is 1) Bravo D1 via DVI->HDMI at 1280X720X59.94 Hz on "real" (1:1 pixel mapping) mode, 2) Zenith DVB-318 via 1080i component, 3) HTPC via DVI->HDMI at 1280X720X59.94 Hz on "real" (1:1 pixel mapping) mode. This ranking is based on PQ and ease of use. I hope that Sylvania HDMI 720p or 1080i will be right behind Bravo D1 as I'm not sure how long Bravo will last.

Huey,
I am on the verge of getting the Mits HD 1000u. I may have missed something so I apologize in advance.

1. How do you set teh Bravo D1 (already own one, no mods) custom to 1280X720X59.94?
2. Why do you set it for 59.94 and not 60 hz?
Thanks.
-mahesh-

-mahesh-
post #383 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 PM

sorry no help here only questions as i continue reading this thread and 50 others. amen for work and a computer. haha. now back to the question. 12 foot room got 5 feet of viewable space over a sofa i cant move. mitsu 1000 is still in the ball park? ceiling is 8 foot. and i want to get the biggest picture naturally. fix offset going to leave me with the panny pt instead? trying to save the money to get upscale hd dvd player.
post #384 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I've been lusting after a PJ for a little over a year now. I saw some $25k+ Sony proj at their headquarters in Tokyo about 2.5 years ago and even though it was only about a 70-80" image, it's always stuck out in my mind because it looked amazing.

So I'm considering going with the HD1000U and having a manual screen in front of probably a 42" plasma(maybe LCD, but I still don't like their off viewing axis). The room has moderate light control during the day, but not total control. I can close curtains, but light leaks in through them a bit and spills in from the kitchen. During the night obviously this won't be a problem.

The whole thing that stops me is that the absolute smallest screen I get with the HD1000U is about 120" diagonal. Something more like 124" would fit a bit better with how far I have to put the unit back, but I think I can hit this "magic number" with putting the PJ a little farther forward on an inverted shelf arrangement on the back wall. Height is not a problem(12' cathedral ceiling in the center of the 20'x20' room). My thoughts are that even though this is a bright projector, this 120" size is just too much for it(13 ft-L with a 1.0 gain screen on projectorcentral's site). This would pretty much mean no daytime viewing without complete light control right?

I sit about 13-14' back, and while I can shift this maybe 1' either way, I almost think a 120" screen might be TOO much at that distance. I have a 50" plasma now, and it seems tiny to me after I got used to it from this distance, but 120" is just a whole nother ballgame. Hard to comprehend without seeing it ya know.

So what do you guys think about a 120" screen pulled down in front of a smaller plasma/LCD in my main room? I'm a bachelor, so don't have a WAF to deal with, and I constantly find myself wishing I had a projector as I think that it's pretty much the pinnacle of "ridiculous big screen TV-dom" - and that appeals to the red blooded male in me immensely. I watch a mix of source material, but I'd likely watch movies/HDTV/the occasional SD TV broadcast just when I want to see it really big(F1 racing comes to mind).

Ideally I'd get a Panasonic AX100U and shoot a 100-106" screen from about 18' away, but I really don't think that's in the budget.

Sorry for the long post, but I figure I might get some real world experiences in the HD1000U megapost.
post #385 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshfd View Post

Huey,
I am on the verge of getting the Mits HD 1000u. I may have missed something so I apologize in advance.

1. How do you set teh Bravo D1 (already own one, no mods) custom to 1280X720X59.94?
2. Why do you set it for 59.94 and not 60 hz?
Thanks.
-mahesh-

1) I find the stock 720P DVI setting of the D1 to be pretty good. I don't know how different it is from a custom setting. See the
InFocus 4805 Bravo Specific Thread for how to set up custom resolutions. There is a program in that thread that will calculate the numbers to use in the custom resolution menu.

2) I'd like to know this as well.

What I like doing with the D1 is setting it up for 720p at 48Hz. This results in the exact same frame rate as when the original film was projected in theaters. Downsides are rainbows are a little easier to see and DVD from 480i video sources will display choppy. I can live with both of these issues.

The Bravo D1 and HD1000u is a good combination. You just have to be able to put up with the fussyness of the Bravo. I have two, and they both lock up sometimes, but its rare enough that it does not bother me consdiering the song I paid for them.

-Mike
post #386 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

DIY "Do-able" laminate white screen here - around 1.0 gain. Low lamp mode. This is with "out of the box" settings excepy contrast (9) and overscan (100%)

Blacks look pretty black to me....

post #387 of 2606 Old 12-30-2006, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post

One thing that sticks out is the Grey Screen.

Sounds like a calibration issue to me. A grey screen dramatically improves dark scenes with digitals. Sounds like he's crushing too much dark detail. That can be corrected with calibration (brightness and/or gamma)

I don't know how dark of a grey his screen is, but if it's too dark the brighter scenes will suffer more noticeably while the dark scenes dramatically improve even further (if it's calibrated for the screen). I have a dark grey Dazian rear screen that can be used as a front projection screen and dark scenes look WAY better on it, but it's too dark to use with a decently sized front projection image, because brighter scenes are darkened too much and it becomes too much of a trade off.
post #388 of 2606 Old 12-31-2006, 06:36 AM

Still looking for suggestions on a decent calibration CD & where.

Also looking for comments on the video processor the HD1000 had built in. I'm considering an external VP (iSync Pro) to help with SD & motion.
post #389 of 2606 Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Digital Video Essentials is a good calibration DVD. It may be rentable from Netflix or Blockbuster online (may be even locally).

Bravo D1 has the ability to pixel map which matches the native panel resolution of HD1000u which is the main advantage of HTPC. Bravo D1 DVI gives better image than my HTPC using Radeon 9800 Pro, Dscaler codecs, FFDSHOW, VMR9 renderless at 1280X720X60Hz.

The reason to use 59.94 Hz is that it is the exact required frequency needed by HD1000u without conversion. 60 Hz will do the same but if you can reduce any processing by HD1000u it may give it a better, more fluid image. 48 Hz is actually 47.95 Hz. Bravo lets you do custom resolution so why not use it.

The program that gives you all the numbers needed for Bravo D1 is attached. Unzip it and click on the little wand icon to enter 1280, 720, 59.94 (or 47.95 Hz) which then gives you a bunch of numbers that corresponds to D1's custom resolution screen (pulled up via remote codes outlined in the SP4805 and Bravo thread). If your Bravo can't pullup this custom resolution screen then you don't have the latest firmware from 2003. You can disguise your email with asterisks to avoid spyware and I can send you the zipped ISO if you need the latest firmware. Cavu has it and so does Vinc techsupport (they take about 3-4 days to respond if you send a couple of emails).

Here is how to access the custom resolution menu:

Go DOWN to Video Setting
Go RIGHT to DVI OUT.
Key in 9713 on the remote.

With that said, 720p in the default DVI resolution is very, very close as well but if you want 48 Hz or be exact then custom resolution is what you need.

cr4v880.zip 239.3720703125k . file

Huey ;-]
post #390 of 2606 Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrx View Post

DIY "Do-able" laminate white screen here - around 1.0 gain. Low lamp mode. This is with "out of the box" settings excepy contrast (9) and overscan (100%)

Blacks look pretty black to me....

That is the problem with pictures. I could make my Z2 look every bit as black as that when I take a digital photo of it and fool a non-trained Joe. Not saying you aren't getting that black, but again if I took a picture of my milky Z2 it would look much "blacker" in the photo then in real life.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page