post #541 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
tqn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

AIUI, the DLP mirror array is actually 1280x768 whereas the picture is only 720 pixels tall. This would leave 48 rows of pixels that aren't used. From tinkering with the projector, it appears that the unused rows are split between the top and bottom of the display so that you can move the picture up or down a few inches.

Some models are 1280x768, but not the HD1000...it uses a 1280x720 mirror array.

I have my HD1000 hooked up to a HTPC outputting 1280x720 via DVI-HDMI, and with the required 1:1 pixel map settings of overscan 100% and 16:9 aspect ratio, if I use the vertical location feature in either direction, I simply lose that part of the image. So there is image degradation in the sense that the picture will be cut off, but as far as sharpness is concerned, you won't experience any loss of quality. That is, when using vertical location, the projector doesn't "process" the picture like it would when you use keystone; however, you will lose the use of some of the pixels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM

If I want a brighter image, would I want to mount the projector closer to my screen? Are there any negative effects to doing this, because I think I read it's better to have it zoomed all the way out and as far back as possible for image quality.

Chris
post #543 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a question regarding HD programming on this unit.. Has anyone tried it with Dish Network. I currently have Comcast (cable).. debating whether to switch to Dish or not, if Dish quality on this unit (or any unit) is worse then that would make it an easy choice

Mark

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

post #544 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM

ravencr -- all things being equal, closer to the screen will yield a brighter image. I suggest testing it out to see what gives you the best mix of screen size & image brightness. Then, install permanently.

markm75 -- I've only used Comcast. The picture looks incredible, IMO. Are you concerned about any other services as well? I use the Comcast internet connect & have found Comcast customer service to be fairly helpful (coming on site to install a booster, replacing my converter boxes & doing the installs, crediting my account whenever any problems come up)... And, no I don't work for Comcast... maybe you are in a different position than me, but I'd be considering more than the image quality before thinking about a switch.
post #545 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Okay HD1000U owners - I need your help.

My setup includes the HD1000U, the Onkyo HT-S790 receiver and speakers, and an Oppo DV-970HD.

Can anyone tell me how to connect all these cables? HDMI? Component? Coaxial? Optical Digital?
post #546 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 PM

HD1000u owners,
Does anyone know if there is a diagram that shows the ceiling mount screw position dimensions on the bottom of the HD1000u? I know Optoma has nice diagram their manual for this purpose, but don't find any for HD1000u. I have a nice universal mount kit, which uses a thick aluminum plate. If I know the dimensions and the type of screw used, I can prepare in advance for the new projector's arrival. Currently I am using the mount with an Optoma H31.
post #547 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 PM

I just got the HD1000U mounted and screen installed 4 days ago. I'm very impressed so far, but I can't seem to get it calibrated right.

Ceiling is about 7' 8" or so. I made my own mount, similar to the monkeyman mount. The drop is only about 2" and I'm not using any keystoning. You gotta see it, it looks great. how do I post a pic?

The screen is a 92" Wilsonart Designer White laminate with 2" of black border (border tape; not as good as velvet, but it works good). I was considering the Fashion Grey, but I heard reports of hotspotting so I was hesitant with that.

I have a completely light controlled room, so I didn't think I needed it. I made a home-made light for the room; it's a small device utilizing 2 high-powered pure white LEDs with 15 deg optics illuminating just the coffee table in front of the couch with very little light going anywhere else.

Devices...

Cox cable, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD (i think) via HDMI
XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD player via component
Zenith (LG) DVB318 upconverting DVD player via component to VGA (firmware hack)

I couldn't really tell a difference between the HDMI and Component outputs on the cable box after calibrating. I didn't like the fact that you can't change COLOR using the HDMI.

I'd have to say the color looked BETTER on XR-10X when watching HD cable and HD-DVD. The only way I can get it comparable on the HD1000 is to use the Sports Gamma and turn down the contrast, but it seems to crush the whites a bit.

I use Warm color temp on pretty much every input except some games on the
Xbox, but sometimes the Warm seems to push the red too much. I would like a custom setting between Medium and Warm.

The Cinema gamma looked good for DVD. Video setting was the best for Xbox 360. The Sports setting really brings out the color on HD cable and HD-DVD but crushed the whites a little.

For some reason, my cable box won't display 480i through the HDMI when the ouput is set to "Auto DVI/HDMI", is this right? I have to set it to "upconvert-1" or "upconvert-2" (1080i or 720p). I have to either convert all HD cable to one or the other on the cable box if I want the to see SD on the projector. I ended up setting it to 1080i. Here's why. HD channels on 1080i look slighty better at 1080i than down-converted to 720p. 720p channels didn't look as good when upconverted to 1080i, but I don't watch that much sports, so this is what I chose. following me?

Oh... I noticed the picture looked better when upconverting DVD to 1080i rather than 720p on the DVB318. I don't know why, but it just does. Maybe it's the player. It looks smoother (softer mind you) but smoother and less grainy.

Anyone notice more color using the Sports gamma?
post #548 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 PM

lilmarvin,
Where did you manage to get the mount dimensions. What is monkeyman mount? I want to make my own mount. Appreciate any inputs. Thx
post #549 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baum Threat View Post

My setup includes the HD1000U, the Onkyo HT-S790 receiver and speakers, and an Oppo DV-970HD.

Can anyone tell me how to connect all these cables? HDMI? Component? Coaxial? Optical Digital?

I've got the exact same setup, and here's what I did:

1) 35' HDMI out of DVD to the PJ
2) 6' Digital Coaxial from DVD to Onkyo Receiver
3) I ran 50' S-video out of my non-HD Dish Network receiver to the projector
4) RCA's from Dish Network receiver to the Onkyo Receiver
5) I used 2 port savers from Monoprice, because I ran 35' of 22g HDMI

That should do it!

Chris
post #550 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baum Threat View Post

Component for the video and optical (or coaxial) for the sound. Let the receiver switch the DVD signal so that you can just plug more things in later. IOW, run component cables between the Onkyo receiver and the HD1000, no audio run is necessary (or even possible ;-). Run components from the Oppo to the receiver's DVD input and also run an optical cable from the DVD player to one of the digital audio inputs on the Onkyo receiver. You will then need to assign the digital audio input to the DVD input on the receiver. You may need to tell the DVD player to send a Dolby Digital signal to the receiver instead of a plain PCM signal. I have a TX-SR604 receiver so your mileage may vary, but it should go something like I described.
post #551 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Awesome - thanks for the quick answers ravencr and anthony!
post #552 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony fremont View Post

AIUI, the DLP mirror array is actually 1280x768 whereas the picture is only 720 pixels tall. This would leave 48 rows of pixels that aren't used. From tinkering with the projector, it appears that the unused rows are split between the top and bottom of the display so that you can move the picture up or down a few inches.

I played around a bit more with my set-up and it seems to me that the vertical adjustment is moving the image up or down by making the image smaller as you continue the adjustment. This would seem to make the vertical adjustment option more of a digitally scaling operation that allows the image to shrink and be re-sized to move it up or down. This would be a destructive option. I'm going to send an email to Mits. tech support to get a final answer or if anyone else here knows for sure an answer then let me know.

To update my set-up, I just turned off all digital keystoning and vertical adjustment. I now have a slightly trapizoidal image. That also works pretty fine for me. I'll be haning a black border I just built and that should hopefully square everything up. I still don't say a dramatic improvement over no keystoning vs. keystoning all the way up to -12. It probably does look slightly better with no keystoning but it's NOT A BIG DEAL. Shelf mounting will be fine. Live with the trapizoid, keystone, or black out with a good frame and use the frame to square everything. It can be done and it works just fine.
post #553 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Great review! These are the kind of reviews that will really help people on the fence or who are looking for more info in making their decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post

DVD content: Tested it last night for the first time with Galaxy Quest. Decent picture quality, the sort of thing that someone with no projector experience would probably love, but a noticeably grainier image than with the H30. It won't matter for most movies, but for effects-based, glossy-looking movies, I think it will be a negative. So for traditional DVDs, I'd say this thing is probably a step down (but I'll withhold judgment until I see the Star Wars DVDs).

It seems to be a noted point right now that the internal scaler in the HD1000U isn't the top of the line. An upconverting DVD player will do a much better job with DVD and HDMI will make a nice improvement across the board. I picked up the Bravo D1 on closeout from Newegg for like $40 and the picture is stunning. I wasn't expecting much. I had given up on DVD on HD projectors a while ago but the upconvert was very impressive. Not HD but pretty respectable. Watching lots of DVDs once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post

Overall, definitely worth it. HD content really is much, much better (depending, of course, on the source material). Regular TV is disappointing, but I guess that's why I keep a regular TV around. DVDs will take more testing, but I think I may have to seriously consider an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player sooner than I had intended.

Keeping a regular TV I think is a great idea. I don't consider SD TV worthy of my projector. If it's not in HD, it doesn't get the honor. That included DVDs until I discovered such a cheap and outstanding option to breath new life into the old DVD. But Blu-Ray is soon to come for me. Just waiting for the prices to come donw.
post #554 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn View Post

Some models are 1280x768, but not the HD1000...it uses a 1280x720 mirror array.

I have my HD1000 hooked up to a HTPC outputting 1280x720 via DVI-HDMI, and with the required 1:1 pixel map settings of overscan 100% and 16:9 aspect ratio, if I use the vertical location feature in either direction, I simply lose that part of the image. So there is image degradation in the sense that the picture will be cut off, but as far as sharpness is concerned, you won't experience any loss of quality. That is, when using vertical location, the projector doesn't "process" the picture like it would when you use keystone; however, you will lose the use of some of the pixels.

On a video input like HDMI it doesn't seem to be working like that for me. I'd check in the manual but it doesn't tell you anything useful so I'm out of luck.
post #555 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM
agm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post

It seems to be a noted point right now that the internal scaler in the HD1000U isn't the top of the line. An upconverting DVD player will do a much better job with DVD and HDMI will make a nice improvement across the board. I picked up the Bravo D1 on closeout from Newegg for like $40 and the picture is stunning. I wasn't expecting much. I had given up on DVD on HD projectors a while ago but the upconvert was very impressive. Not HD but pretty respectable. Watching lots of DVDs once again.

No HDMI for me - the room is wired for component only, and re-doing it is NOT an option for at least two years.
post #556 of 2606 Old 01-09-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064 View Post

I just got the HD1000U mounted and screen installed 4 days ago. I'm very impressed so far, but I can't seem to get it calibrated right.

Ceiling is about 7' 8" or so. I made my own mount, similar to the monkeyman mount. The drop is only about 2" and I'm not using any keystoning. You gotta see it, it looks great. how do I post a pic?

The screen is a 92" Wilsonart Designer White laminate with 2" of black border (border tape; not as good as velvet, but it works good). I was considering the Fashion Grey, but I heard reports of hotspotting so I was hesitant with that.

I have a completely light controlled room, so I didn't think I needed it. I made a home-made light for the room; it's a small device utilizing 2 high-powered pure white LEDs with 15 deg optics illuminating just the coffee table in front of the couch with very little light going anywhere else.

Devices...

Cox cable, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD (i think) via HDMI
XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD player via component
Zenith (LG) DVB318 upconverting DVD player via component to VGA (firmware hack)

I couldn't really tell a difference between the HDMI and Component outputs on the cable box after calibrating. I didn't like the fact that you can't change COLOR using the HDMI.

I'd have to say the color looked BETTER on XR-10X when watching HD cable and HD-DVD. The only way I can get it comparable on the HD1000 is to use the Sports Gamma and turn down the contrast, but it seems to crush the whites a bit.

I use Warm color temp on pretty much every input except some games on the
Xbox, but sometimes the Warm seems to push the red too much. I would like a custom setting between Medium and Warm.

The Cinema gamma looked good for DVD. Video setting was the best for Xbox 360. The Sports setting really brings out the color on HD cable and HD-DVD but crushed the whites a little.

For some reason, my cable box won't display 480i through the HDMI when the ouput is set to "Auto DVI/HDMI", is this right? I have to set it to "upconvert-1" or "upconvert-2" (1080i or 720p). I have to either convert all HD cable to one or the other on the cable box if I want the to see SD on the projector. I ended up setting it to 1080i. Here's why. HD channels on 1080i look slighty better at 1080i than down-converted to 720p. 720p channels didn't look as good when upconverted to 1080i, but I don't watch that much sports, so this is what I chose. following me?

Oh... I noticed the picture looked better when upconverting DVD to 1080i rather than 720p on the DVB318. I don't know why, but it just does. Maybe it's the player. It looks smoother (softer mind you) but smoother and less grainy.

Anyone notice more color using the Sports gamma?

track lighting pointing away from the screen on a dimmer works great as well....
post #557 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 AM
agm

My review yesterday was with the PJ's default, out-of-the-box settings, since I don't want to spend any time calibrating it until it's mounted. But last night I decided to make a couple of the basic, obvious corrections. I bumped overscan to 100%, and dropped sharpness to 0. Big, big difference. The graininess on Galaxy Quest (a repeat showing to test the change) was significantly reduced. The image was slightly soft, more so than on my old Optoma H30, but still a big improvement, and very watchable. Regular TV showed similar improvements. HD still looked awesome, although CSI: Miami was not quite as sharp and had slightly less pop.

So I guess I was a bit premature. Overall, the Optoma H30 was still stronger on DVD and standard definition TV, but less so than I thought yesterday.
post #558 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM

"track lighting pointing away from the screen on a dimmer works great as well.... "

true, but I live in an apartment , so I needed something less permanent. This light I made attaches to the ceiling with just a little piece of adhesive velcro. It's pure white light, dimmable with no color variation, will never burn out, can be run on batteries or plugged into the wall, and blasts out 60 lumens @ 2 watts.

I need to post a pic. I'll bet anyone who has a projector will want one of these.
post #559 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 07:16 AM

The best 1000U review yet. I watched a movie last night and both my kids 10 and 13 years old said this is cool all the dots are gone. My old unit was a 4805.
post #560 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Just upgraded my H30 to the Mits HD1000..... the only thing I can say is WOW

HD Cable is a BIG improvement over the H30, no comparison at all. Had people over to watch the OSU/Florida game and they all immediately noticed the difference.

DVD's using my progressive scan Sony was also an improvement over the H30, but not as dramatic. Looking to get a new upconverting DVD player to see if there is any improvement. Right now I have everything in Component going to my Onkyo receiver then from receiver to Projector. A previous user said that DVD quality was better on the H30... 4 out of 4 people preferred the Mits ( I have the H30 ceiling mounted and the Mits on a table until my new ceiling mount arrives)

I would let not a low ceiling deter you from this projector. I have 7' 6" ceilings, projector 15 feet from my 110" homemade screen with black border. Keystone at 4 gives me a square image, and nobody noticed any difference in picture quality. I also set the keystone to 0, and with my black border the picture was great.
post #561 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 AM

Is there a cheap way to hook up a XBox360 to the HD1000 without buying a switcher. It would need a component to HDMI adapter. The A/V rack is too far to hook up directly to the PJ. I've looked at the Sima but it has 3 HDMI in & 1 HDMI out. I would need a switcher with a component in & 2 HDMI in with 1 HDMI out. I'm considering a VP so I don't want to invest too much into a switcher right now.
post #562 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckster View Post

Is there a cheap way to hook up a XBox360 to the HD1000 without buying a switcher. It would need a component to HDMI adapter. The A/V rack is too far to hook up directly to the PJ. I've looked at the Sima but it has 3 HDMI in & 1 HDMI out. I would need a switcher with a component in & 2 HDMI in with 1 HDMI out. I'm considering a VP so I don't want to invest too much into a switcher right now.

You could always just get a long component cable and one of these...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
post #563 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the idea but I'r\\m trying to avoid hooking it directly to the HD1000 which is ceiling mounted. I currently have all cables & wires running thru the ceiling to the Comcast DVR ... nothing hanging. This is temporary set-up as my son is the 1 setting up the XBox & he's a student & only comes home once or twice a month. Is there an adapter like that that has component female to HDMI female ??
post #564 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM

I don't think so. Component is analog and HDMI is digital. You're not just adapting one cable to the other, you have to convert the signal from analog to digital. Can't imagine that would be a cheap solution. I think some new Receivers will upconvert all inputs (composite, s-video, and component) to HDMI.
post #565 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have my eye on this projector right now but I am afraid my ceiling might be a little too low.

My room is long at around 23', but the ceiling is only 8 feet, I also need to mount the projector so that the lens is about 6 inches from the top of the ceiling, as a crossbeam would probably block the light, though I haven't worked that out yet.

Anyway, does anyone think I will be able to do a 114" diag screen (56" tall) with an 8 foot ceiling and still have plenty of room between the bottom of the screen and the ceiling.

I think I have it worked out to be something like this:

Celing is 96" tall
A 114" screen requires just over 15" of offset
The projector will be mounted 6" from ceiling,
So I will need 23" from the ceiling to the top of the screen. That will leave 19" between the bottom of the screen and the floor.

Does that sound about right? And is 19" off the floor way to low? I would have much prefered a good two feet from the floor, but I don't think it is doable if I went with this projector. Also, is it even possible to find a mount that would have the lens be only 6 inches from the ceiling?

Thanks
post #566 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

I have my eye on this projector right now but I am afraid my ceiling might be a little too low.

My room is long at around 23', but the ceiling is only 8 feet, I also need to mount the projector so that the lens is about 6 inches from the top of the ceiling, as a crossbeam would probably block the light, though I haven't worked that out yet.

Anyway, does anyone think I will be able to do a 114" diag screen (56" tall) with an 8 foot ceiling and still have plenty of room between the bottom of the screen and the ceiling.

I think I have it worked out to be something like this:

Celing is 96" tall
A 114" screen requires just over 15" of offset
The projector will be mounted 6" from ceiling,
So I will need 23" from the ceiling to the top of the screen. That will leave 19" between the bottom of the screen and the floor.

Does that sound about right? And is 19" off the floor way to low? I would have much prefered a good two feet from the floor, but I don't think it is doable if I went with this projector. Also, is it even possible to find a mount that would have the lens be only 6 inches from the ceiling?

Thanks

A 56" screen will have an offset of 19.6" not 15". Calculated like so. 35% offset times 56" high screen is 19.6". This puts your scree at 14.4" from the floor which is too low in my opinion.
post #567 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Hey guys,

I am trying to get a bit more height off the floor for my screen and wondered if anyone recesses their projector mount? I have 9ft ceilings in my basement but unfortunately where my projector is, I have a sofit that is at 8ft. The duct work that the sofit is covering is about 8+ inches up so I was thinking of taking my mount and screwing it up inside the sofit about 3.5". The mount is from Mount Direct and I have about 5" to the top of the projector. Figuring 1/2" for the drywall, that will leave me a 1" gap on one side of the projector. It will only be that close on the left side and on the right side I can have the drywall go up the 3.5" to the height of the mount.

This might look odd but it would help with my screen and my riser height. I worry about cooling or adjusting issues with that little play. I think the vents are on the front so I think that might be ok but it will be close to the ceiling.

Any thoughts? I could use Keystone but I would rather not.
post #568 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Any HD1000 owners that also have a HTPC ?? I've posted on the HTPC forum but not getting much response. What will a HTPC do for a HD1000. I don't have anything now except a HDMI from my cable HDDVR to my PJ. I have an old AVR (Denon 3200) which probably needs upgrading but I'm more interested in PQ than audio. I could use a video switcher & an upconverting DVD player. Would like a nice video processor but can't afford the good ones. Will a HTPC help a HD1000 with scaling & de-interlacing ??
post #569 of 2606 Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

HD1000u does not like 720p via VGA but does like it via DVI->HDMI. A good upconverting DVD player like Oppo 981/970, Bravo D1, LG DVB418 will look just as good if not better (depending how powerful your HTPC and video card are and how many software filters you use) with much less tweaking. Of course HTPC offers DivX, MP3, gaming, net surfing, WMV, WMV-HD, HD files playback, DVR, etc. I personally use both and swap HDMI cables (you can get a mechanical, passive, HDMI switcher from Monoprice for $30). STB DVD player will ALWAYS beat HTPC on video type DVDs like anime, TV shows, concerts, etc. HTPC is very good on film based DVDs and with appropriate tweaking with software filters using FFDSHOW and appropriate software decoders like Purevideo by Nvidia or free Dscaler5 codecs, it can be unbeaten. Unfortunately you need a powerful HTPC to beat a cheap, good, upscaling DVD player.

Huey ;-]
post #570 of 2606 Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post

HD1000u does not like 720p via VGA but does like it via DVI->HDMI. A good upconverting DVD player like Oppo 981/970, Bravo D1, LG DVB418 will look just as good if not better (depending how powerful your HTPC and video card are and how many software filters you use) with much less tweaking. Of course HTPC offers DivX, MP3, gaming, net surfing, WMV, WMV-HD, HD files playback, DVR, etc. I personally use both and swap HDMI cables (you can get a mechanical, passive, HDMI switcher from Monoprice for $30). STB DVD player will ALWAYS beat HTPC on video type DVDs like anime, TV shows, concerts, etc. HTPC is very good on film based DVDs and with appropriate tweaking with software filters using FFDSHOW and appropriate software decoders like Purevideo by Nvidia or free Dscaler5 codecs, it can be unbeaten. Unfortunately you need a powerful HTPC to beat a cheap, good, upscaling DVD player.

Slight curiousity here.. I thought there were lots of people using the 360 in here with a VGA cable and essentially 720p (1280x720 or maybe 1368x720 overscanned?)...

Cheerio.

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page