Any Mitsubishi HD1000U owners out there? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the same experience, initially declined, but the bulb coupon came yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone please help me understand what is going on?

I've had my HD1000U for a few weeks now and I've just started farting around with both the projector and DVD player settings. Right now I'm getting a better picture with my DVD player (non upconverting Philips 963 SA) set to interlaced rather than progressive scanning and I not sure I understand why.

My HD1000U is my first projector so go easy on me. I know enough to be dangerous, but it's obvious that I need to educate myself some more.

When running the DVD player in progressive scan, I get a pretty poor picture (the pj shows that it is indeed receiving a 480p signal). The smoothness, for lack of a better term, of lines is not very good. I believe this might be called jaggies, but I'm not sure. As an example, when viewing the movie Cars, the eye lids of the cars appear stepped and not smooth. In addition, the verbiage of the disk menu also appears to very blocky and stepped. Needless to say it's been very disappointing set in progressive scan.

Experimenting last night, I switched my DVD player back to interlaced scanning. BAM the picture quality dramatically changed for the better. It's not perfect, but much better. No more jaggies. Every line was smooth. Even the disk menu verbiage and the anti-piracy wording looked great.

Everything I've read tells me the opposite should be happening going to progressive scanning. What the heck is going on?

Please help this clueless knucklehead out..

Almost forgot, I'm using the component connections to project a 92 inch picture.
post #633 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 PM

If you feed the Mits a progressive signal (480p), you bypass the internal de-interlacer. It could be that the DVD player is doing a poor job of de-interlacing. I read at Hometheaterhifi that you have to manually enable the Genesis processing chip. Have you tried that?

Home Theater HiFi

Quote:

The 963 uses the Genesis FLI2200 chip and did well with our tests as expected. One thing you need to make sure of if you decide on this player, or you have it already, is to enable the DCDi processing. This setting is set to OFF by default.

post #634 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post

If you feed the Mits a progressive signal (480p), you bypass the internal de-interlacer. It could be that the DVD player is doing a poor job of de-interlacing. I read at Hometheaterhifi that you have to manually enable the Genesis processing chip. Have you tried that?

Home Theater HiFi

Yup, checked that today. It's a toggle "yes" or "no". It's set to yes.
post #635 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorror View Post

Whats with the light on top and bottom? I am using component to vga, tried out hdtv stations, couple of things that I know are 16:9 such as 24 season 5 dvd. No matter what I did I couldn't get the light that is projected on the top and bottom to go away.

It's light leakage from the unit. Because the unit has a white segement in the color wheel it will never put out full black when the screen is supposed to be completly black. the extra light will be larger if you're using digital keystone correction, but even with none there still is some mainly on the bottom of the frame with my unit. A black frame or black bordered screen will fix that all up by eating up any of that overspill. This isn't an abnormal feature with a projector. All the projectors I've ownened LCD and DLP have all had some light overspill. that's why black borders and black frames are such a must to really set the screen off and make it pop. It really makes all the difference.
post #636 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 10:11 PM

I've seen a lot of people posting about the cheaper prices they've gotten, and I'm considering purchasing one of these myself. What are some of the better places to buy this online?

Allprojectors seems to have it for $928, and Projector People has it as a demo unit for $899, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen better.
post #637 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Got mine for $850 shipped... read the thread about where people bought.

Mike Napurano
post #638 of 2606 Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 PM

Projector people has brand new units for $899 and will price match those lower priced sites. just ask.

PP has the three year bulb warantee for $99 too.

Jim
post #639 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppy View Post

Can someone please help me understand what is going on?

I've had my HD1000U for a few weeks now and I've just started farting around with both the projector and DVD player settings. Right now I'm getting a better picture with my DVD player (non upconverting Philips 963 SA) set to interlaced rather than progressive scanning and I not sure I understand why.

My HD1000U is my first projector so go easy on me. I know enough to be dangerous, but it's obvious that I need to educate myself some more.

When running the DVD player in progressive scan, I get a pretty poor picture (the pj shows that it is indeed receiving a 480p signal). The smoothness, for lack of a better term, of lines is not very good. I believe this might be called jaggies, but I'm not sure. As an example, when viewing the movie Cars, the eye lids of the cars appear stepped and not smooth. In addition, the verbiage of the disk menu also appears to very blocky and stepped. Needless to say it's been very disappointing set in progressive scan.

Experimenting last night, I switched my DVD player back to interlaced scanning. BAM the picture quality dramatically changed for the better. It's not perfect, but much better. No more jaggies. Every line was smooth. Even the disk menu verbiage and the anti-piracy wording looked great.

Everything I've read tells me the opposite should be happening going to progressive scanning. What the heck is going on?

Please help this clueless knucklehead out..

Almost forgot, I'm using the component connections to project a 92 inch picture.

Sounds like the HD1000 is doing a better job of deinterlacing than your DVD player.
post #640 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post

It's light leakage from the unit. Because the unit has a white segement in the color wheel it will never put out full black when the screen is supposed to be completly black. the extra light will be larger if you're using digital keystone correction, but even with none there still is some mainly on the bottom of the frame with my unit. A black frame or black bordered screen will fix that all up by eating up any of that overspill. This isn't an abnormal feature with a projector. All the projectors I've ownened LCD and DLP have all had some light overspill. that's why black borders and black frames are such a must to really set the screen off and make it pop. It really makes all the difference.

The white segment may add some light leakage, but the 1000 is no different than any other of the current LCD/DLP's as you say at the end. All of them leak some light.

darkhorror, the extra light leakage you're seeing even when displaying a full screen image is from the HD1000's DLP chip being 1280x768 resolution, but only 1280x720 being used. So you have 24 pixels top/bottom that are unused, but still leak light. Also, a lot of movies are 1.85:1 ratio, which doesn't quite fill a 16x9 screen (1.78:1).
post #641 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post

Got mine for $850 shipped... read the thread about where people bought.

Which thread is that? I cannot seem to find it.
The best price I have been given is $860 + $30 shipping.
post #642 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

Sounds like the HD1000 is doing a better job of deinterlacing than your DVD player.

I was wondering if that was the issue. The Philips I have got pretty good reviews for video.
post #643 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the extra light leakage you're seeing even when displaying a full screen image is from the HD1000's DLP chip being 1280x768 resolution, but only 1280x720 being used. So you have 24 pixels top/bottom that are unused, but still leak light.

All the information I've read says this is incorrect. The DMD used in the 1000U is 1280x720, not 1280x768. I could be confused, I see alot of PJ specs...but I'm pretty sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #644 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream1 View Post

All the information I've read says this is incorrect. The DMD used in the 1000U is 1280x720, not 1280x768. I could be confused, I see alot of PJ specs...but I'm pretty sure.

Yea, I've read that also, but it still appears to have additional light spill top/bottom. I'm assuming that's the cause. It also had more light spill than my 4805 when I compared them side by side while viewing 2:35:1 material.

I agree though, it's supposed to be a 720p chip. I'll take another look at it when I get a chance.
post #645 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm I haven't got my hands on my unit yet, but you might be onto something. I'm assuming there is no corresponding light leakage on the sides? Care to measure to tell us if it's 48pixels worth of light leakage :P
post #646 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My HD1000 has the light border spill on all 4 sides of the image. And on a 133"D screen it goes past my 2" black boarders.
I've never had any light spill on any of my other PJ's.

Mike
post #647 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 01:37 PM

I just got my HD1000 last week - it isn't installed yet since the room is still under construction... I'm planning my cable runs from the equipment rack to the PJ, and I have a question.

It looks like as consolidated as I can make the wiring, I will still have a composite video and a component video running to the projector. These are all running from an Onkyo A/V receiver, and I don't know if it "mutes" an inactive video output or not - Assuming it does, there would only be 1 active video feed to the projector at any given time, even with 2 plugged in.

Does the PJ auto-switch to an "active" video input if more than 1 input is connected?

Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread - I'll admit, I didn't read all 600+ posts looking for this info.

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #648 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoyguy View Post

I just got my HD1000 last week - it isn't installed yet since the room is still under construction... I'm planning my cable runs from the equipment rack to the PJ, and I have a question.

It looks like as consolidated as I can make the wiring, I will still have a composite video and a component video running to the projector. These are all running from an Onkyo A/V receiver, and I don't know if it "mutes" an inactive video output or not - Assuming it does, there would only be 1 active video feed to the projector at any given time, even with 2 plugged in.

Does the PJ auto-switch to an "active" video input if more than 1 input is connected?

Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread - I'll admit, I didn't read all 600+ posts looking for this info.

No.

"You got what you want; now give the people the air."
post #649 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 02:11 PM

it doesn't auto-select even if there is only 1 connection with active video? That's a bummer if that's the case...

Also - semi-related... I read somewhere that in order to get the benefit of an upconverting DVD player, you have to use HDMI (as opposed to component) - is that correct? I can't find any reference to this in the owners manual for my DVD player (LG DN191H)

Jeff
"Victory Lane Theater"

post #650 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblob View Post

Which thread is that? I cannot seem to find it.
The best price I have been given is $860 + $30 shipping.

Got the $850 shipped from www.theprojectorplace.com Got it quick too.

Mike Napurano
post #651 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post

Got the $850 shipped from www.theprojectorplace.com Got it quick too.

For the record, I was told that that was an AVS forum member "special" price and I had to ask for it. Might wanna remember that if you order from them.

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #652 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

Hmm I haven't got my hands on my unit yet, but you might be onto something. I'm assuming there is no corresponding light leakage on the sides? Care to measure to tell us if it's 48pixels worth of light leakage :P

It's approx. 2" top and bottom on my 130" screen (which would be close to 24 pixels). There is also some additional spill on the sides as well, maybe .5"-1".

Dunno where it's coming from for sure, but it's there. Not a problem since my entire screen wall is blacked out, but I could see it being a problem if it wasn't.
post #653 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:

It's approx. 2" top and bottom on my 130" screen (which would be close to 24 pixels). There is also some additional spill on the sides as well, maybe .5"-1".

Dunno where it's coming from for sure, but it's there. Not a problem since my entire screen wall is blacked out, but I could see it being a problem if it wasn't.

I ordered the HD1000U on Friday. I am replacing my H31. After reading these posts, i am really concerned about the light spill in this PJ. H31 has no light spill at all. My previous pj Benq6100 was worse in light spill. If HD1000 turns out to have too much light spill, I will go with HD70. My room is fully light controlled. I have a DIY screen with black borders, but the wall out side the border is white.
post #654 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer View Post

For the record, I was told that that was an AVS forum member "special" price and I had to ask for it. Might wanna remember that if you order from them.

I just ordered from them on Friday evening, and I was given $899. I will call on Monday and ask for this price, if not will cancel the order, anyway now I am not sure if I really want to go with HD1000 after reading about all the light spill issues.
post #655 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 05:48 PM

received my mitsubishi 1000 last week. I love the picture. I am using it with a stewart screen (10 years old) and the oppo 970 connected via hdmi.
I have one rather big problem. Although the fan noise is pretty low, when the lamp activates I get a sort of buzzing sound from the projector. It is very annoying! Could that buzz be the color wheel spinning?

Please somebody help me. It is driving me crazy!!!!
post #656 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

Why would it be 48 pixels? it's a 720 chip.
This light spill is there even without video showing. (ie blue default screen)

Mike
post #657 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

The light spill was covered in the Projectorreviews review of the PJ, was it not?

Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #658 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream1 View Post

The light spill was covered in the Projectorreviews review of the PJ, was it not?

Yes it was covered. But from Projectorreviews review the impression you get is, the light spill is not visible at all unless you really look for it. But many users are reporting the light spill under normal viewing conditions.
post #659 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 06:50 PM

My impression from reading Art's review was that the lens was allowing unintended light to be projected not that the DMD was 1280x768. It was more the inability to block all light from the unit during all black scenes.

But, the most important comment made by Art in this regard is, "The amount is extremely small, and I do not consider it to be anything you would notice while watching..."

For the record, I've been viewing for over a week now and never noticed any light leakage. The unit itself does emit more transient light than did my previous SP4805, but, it's unnoticeable unless I look at the PJ while it's on. I don't do that as that's not where the image is.
post #660 of 2606 Old 01-14-2007, 07:17 PM
TSO

Liked: 13
Coming in late to the discussion - sorry if this has been covered...

It seems that you all are referring to two different tyoes of "Light spill".

The first is the traditional use of the term - light leaking out from the PJ in areas other than the lens.
THe 1000 has a TINY bit of light from various spots - I'm looking at it right now. However, its negligible. One way to check this it to put up an all black image, then place your hands on the projector on either side of the lens, or in various places, and move them about while watching the screen. If you can't see shadows or movement, the light leakage is minimal. Even if you CAN see very light shadows or other, it is rendered moot whn there is an image on the screen. Having seen projectors with noticeable light spill, I can say that with the hd1000 its a moot point - can't be seen.

The other "Light spill" mentioned above is extra "projection" to the screen other than usable pixels. The HD1000 has this as well. There was an in depth discussion on this several months ago. Here are my findings -

I am convinced that the HD1000 actulaly uses the 768 pixel DMD or some other iteration, and simply doesn't send signal to them. Here's why -

While testing the HD1000 for the best image size in my room, I zoomed in the picture smaller than the black border on my screen, after a while of viewing, I noticed a small "bezel" around the projected image. It was very dark, but after comparing it to an area of definitely "non projected" screen, it was a tiny bit lighter, and well defined, meaning the projector was actually projecting it. I became concerned that somewhere in the sigmal path some processing was being done, and my pristine 1280x720 signal was for some reason being scaled slightly smaller. I tried every setting possible, even hooked up my computer to play with resolutions. THose pixels never displayed, nor nor went away.

This sparked a lively thread discussing what this could mean. However, though every HD1000 does this, no one had a good answer.

The slight overage of projection doesn't bother me - its buried in my screen border, and even if it wasn't its REALLY dark. The idea that I wasn't getting full resolution DID though, so here's what I did to check. Please don't ridcule me for my anal retentive personality...

Using post it notes, I discovered that I could zoom the projector to make each post it exactly 24 pixels across. I then projected a 720p image and froze it, then began posting notes all the was across the bottom of my screen and one side. I was EXTREMELY careful to lign them up exactly. After checking and double checking, the image was EXACTLY 1280 by 720 pixels in size. I checked several different ways - with a tape measure, yardstick, etc. Alwasy the same.

And yet, there was still this bezel of about an inch in width all the way around. This seemed to me to be irrefutable proof that the chip is actually something other than 1280x720.

However - it just deosn't matter. On EITHER types of "spill". It doesn't affect the projected image in the least.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page