Any Mitsubishi HD1000U owners out there? - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 85  86  87
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Any Mitsubishi HD1000U owners out there?
sroberts's Avatar sroberts 04:06 PM 01-20-2013
I finally replaced my HD1000U after over 6 years and many resets of the bulb counter. I now have an Epson 5020 UB and it works great. Funny thing though, folks were blown away by the picture from my 6-year HD1000U in my dedicated theater, and for all content except full 1080p BluRay and 3D, there isn't an appreciable improvement in picture quality.

irmaly's Avatar irmaly 04:16 PM 01-20-2013
Glad to see this thread still alive. I'm still going strong on the Mit1000U. Lamp warning is now flashing, and I have around 2800 hours. If I reset the lamp hours (lamp is still strong), once the lamp is out for real, will it blow up in my projector or something? Or just not fire up? It won't damage the projector to run the thing til it's dead or too dim, right?
sroberts's Avatar sroberts 06:57 AM 01-21-2013
Hey irmaly, I reset my bulb at least 5 times. I suggest you study up on the risk of the bulb popping when it goes, it could release harmful mercury vapor. I've never heard of that happening but you need to be aware of the risk in case you decide to push your bulb life.
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 05:02 PM 01-21-2013
I have about 6000+ hours on my bulb and the picture still looks terrific... even though the projector is mounted in a family room with light contamination from outside or the connected kitchen.

Obviously if all the lights are on the image is fairly washed out... but still viewable even then.

I keep planning on buying a replacement for it but just have not had a "need" to replace it or my InFocus 7210 that is in a dedicated theater room. I do keep looking and reading, but just have not gotten off the couch yet.

Thanks for the update.
sroberts's Avatar sroberts 03:29 PM 01-22-2013
I probably would have kept my HD1000U a lot longer if the darned color wheel hadn't been so noisy. Even in the hush box it was bothersome. I like the 3D on my new Epson, but I went on a major 3D bummer when I found out there's very little 3D content.
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 12:51 PM 01-25-2013
Sorry to hear you had a noisy color wheel... in my townhouse my HD1000 is mounted on the 9' ceiling about 2.5' behind and 4' to the right of where I normally sit. Even if I sit directly in front of the projector color wheel noise has gratefully never been an issue for me. Perhaps a positive aspect of a life spent in aviation around whining engines :-)

Which Epson did you buy and what are your impressions vis a vie the Mits HD1000?
sroberts's Avatar sroberts 01:07 PM 01-26-2013
I got the Epson 5020 UB (see 6 posts above) - I didn't notice a big difference in picture quality over the 6-year old HD1000U.
jessejames's Avatar jessejames 04:33 PM 02-22-2013
Just wanted to update everyone on my high-hour HD1000U.. I had posted up a while back once I had hit 10,000 hours on it and purchased a new bulb for it.. Well, we've now hit 20,000 hours and still going. I got another 10,000 hours on the most recent bulb, which is still going, but has become a bit dim. I just placed an order for bulb #3 today, so we'll see if we can hit 30,000 hours with that one.

This projector is used as the main television in our house and is on for at least 12-16 hours a day, as my significant other works swing shift compared to me and is usually watching it in the morning while I'm at work.. So, its on for 8 hours in the morning, then usually another 8 hours at night!

After hitting 20,000 hours on this unit, I'm thoroughly convinced that bulb longevity is maximized by reducing the number of heat cycles. Its not how long it stays on, its how often it gets cycled. So, despite the hours, the projector is still going strong. The color wheel is starting to whine a bit, but we'll put up with it for a while longer.

What a fantastic projector... I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it.
marcusvb05's Avatar marcusvb05 07:26 AM 02-24-2013
My HD1000 has been dependable for the last six years but now it will not turn on. I'm not sure the lamp hours has exceeded or it's a hardware problem. I tried resetting the lamp operation timer twice (press Power and < > buttons) but still does not help. Reading the manual, the pj should display lamp replacement warning/msg after the bulb has 2850hrs but I don't recall seeing any messages. The power indicator is 'red' and status blinks 'green' for about one minute. I unplug/reconnect and tried power on a few times but same problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.
dslunceford's Avatar dslunceford 07:10 PM 02-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post

Just wanted to update everyone on my high-hour HD1000U.. I had posted up a while back once I had hit 10,000 hours on it and purchased a new bulb for it.. Well, we've now hit 20,000 hours and still going. I got another 10,000 hours on the most recent bulb, which is still going, but has become a bit dim. I just placed an order for bulb #3 today, so we'll see if we can hit 30,000 hours with that one.

Where have you picked up your bulbs? I'm going on 5000 hours for the original bulb and its gotten too dim. Haven't decided on a PJ to upgrade to, so want to get another year or so out of the HD1000U
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 08:55 PM 02-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post

Where have you picked up your bulbs? I'm going on 5000 hours for the original bulb and its gotten too dim. Haven't decided on a PJ to upgrade to, so want to get another year or so out of the HD1000U
provantage.com is where I bought the OEM Mitsubishi lamp for my HC3000 and I am over 3000 hours with no sign of dimming. I think the HD1000 and HC3000 use the same lamp, so search by the Mitsubishi part number.. should be near the end of the users guide. Then again I could be wrong and the HD1000 is different than the HC3000
http://www.provantage.com/mitsubishi-vlt-hc910lp~7MITP056.htm.
vgmarques's Avatar vgmarques 07:40 AM 03-29-2013
Guys, I need help...

My HD1000 shows distorted colors image. When Mitsubishi logo appears during start, the white background is not white along screen. Almost half of screen has yellowish color... eek.gif

I unmounted HD1000 to verify the color wheel. It does not have any stain...

Any help?
Nox's Avatar Nox 11:42 AM 03-29-2013
Anyone know how much the HD1000 is worth? One of my wife's co-workers asked if I'd want to sell it, and I really was't sure what to tell him. It's the original bulb with 1500hrs, and I have the original box with all the contents.

I didn't find any in the classified section for reference.
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 12:25 PM 03-29-2013
I wouldn't think more than $100-$125 since a new lamp is going to be $300 and the Colorwheels are know to fail..
vgmarques's Avatar vgmarques 02:54 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgmarques View Post

Guys, I need help...

My HD1000 shows distorted colors image. When Mitsubishi logo appears during start, the white background is not white along screen. Almost half of screen has yellowish color... eek.gif

I unmounted HD1000 to verify the color wheel. It does not have any stain...

Any help?

When I project white color (I used an empty power point slide), the right region of the screen has yellow/violet color....

Some conclusions:

1. Color wheel - The wheel seems to be great. I rotated the wheel and used a flashlight to verify the colors.

2. Reading about DLP technology, I discover that color wheel probably sends the right information about its position. Otherwise, the entire screen would have distorted colors... If only a region has distorted colors, it doesn´t make sense to be a color wheel problem.
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 03:01 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgmarques View Post

When I project white color (I used an empty power point slide), the right region of the screen has yellow/violet color....

Some conclusions:

1. Color wheel - The wheel seems to be great. I rotated the wheel and used a flashlight to verify the colors.

2. Reading about DLP technology, I discover that color wheel probably sends the right information about its position. Otherwise, the entire screen would have distorted colors... If only a region has distorted colors, it doesn´t make sense to be a color wheel problem.

Do a google for DLP Collapsed light tunnel and see if that looks like you issue.
vgmarques's Avatar vgmarques 06:39 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Do a google for DLP Collapsed light tunnel and see if that looks like you issue.

Thanks, Airscapes!

After learning about DLP, I´ve suspected something was wrong inside "light box", so I unmounted it. I found a degenerated mirror inside it, as explained (with pictures!) in this topic.

Now, I need to know where I can find that degenerated mirror.
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 08:41 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgmarques View Post

Thanks, Airscapes!

After learning about DLP, I´ve suspected something was wrong inside "light box", so I unmounted it. I found a degenerated mirror inside it, as explained (with pictures!) in this topic.

Now, I need to know where I can find that degenerated mirror.

You will probably have to cut it yourself, do a google for First surface mirror
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 08:30 PM 06-30-2013
I need to reset my lamp timer... (for the 3rd time LoL)... when the projector was powering up I held the < and > buttons for about 5 seconds but the timer did not reset??
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 06:26 AM 07-01-2013
From page 32 of the owners manual
Reset of the lamp operation time
Plug in the power cord and reset the lamp operation time by
holding down the < > , and POWER buttons on the control
panel at the same time about three seconds.

HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 09:09 AM 07-01-2013
Thanks Doug... forgot I had to hold the power button down at the same time as the other two...
rutlian's Avatar rutlian 03:05 AM 07-14-2013
I just did my first reset after 9 yrs, I just noticed the warning that the lamp will shut off soon but I thought it will show up only when it reach 2850 and my is only 2285 hrs. But anyway went ahead and reset it. This pj still rock. Very solid.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 06:47 AM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

I just did my first reset after 9 yrs, I just noticed the warning that the lamp will shut off soon but I thought it will show up only when it reach 2850 and my is only 2285 hrs. But anyway went ahead and reset it. This pj still rock. Very solid.

That's a neat trick considering this projector first shipped in August 2006.
KKBuchanan's Avatar KKBuchanan 12:12 PM 07-23-2013
I just purchased a hd1000u on eBay that was advertised as having a new lamp. Looking at the "Lamp Time (LOW)" in the installation menu, its' telling me 228 Hours. Does this mean the lamp has actually been used for 228 hours, or that there are 228 hours left, or something else? Trying not to jump to negative conclusions here but I have to admit I'm feeling a little ripped off.

Also, on a completely different subject, trying to hook it up to my Mac Mini through HDMI gives it a very bluish tint. When I change the Computer Input from Auto to ycbcr/ypbpr the blue tint goes away but it appears a bit greenish/yellow now. Any troubleshooting suggestions? I've already messed around with the color temp., brightness, contrast, gamma mode, wiggled the cable, all that good stuff. I've also played with the settings on the computer with no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.
nickoakdl's Avatar nickoakdl 01:11 PM 07-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKBuchanan View Post

I just purchased a hd1000u on eBay that was advertised as having a new lamp. Looking at the "Lamp Time (LOW)" in the installation menu, its' telling me 228 Hours. Does this mean the lamp has actually been used for 228 hours, or that there are 228 hours left, or something else? Trying not to jump to negative conclusions here but I have to admit I'm feeling a little ripped off.

Thanks for any suggestions.

That means the lamp has been used 228 hours. I wouldn't really sweat that, it's still relatively new in the grand scheme of things. I owned this projector a few years back and sold mine on craigslist with around 2500 hours on the lamp and the buyer was so impressed with the image he happily took it. Those lamps age pretty well, at least mine did.
airscapes's Avatar airscapes 06:46 AM 07-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKBuchanan View Post

I just purchased a hd1000u on eBay that was advertised as having a new lamp. Looking at the "Lamp Time (LOW)" in the installation menu, its' telling me 228 Hours. Does this mean the lamp has actually been used for 228 hours, or that there are 228 hours left, or something else? Trying not to jump to negative conclusions here but I have to admit I'm feeling a little ripped off.

Also, on a completely different subject, trying to hook it up to my Mac Mini through HDMI gives it a very bluish tint. When I change the Computer Input from Auto to ycbcr/ypbpr the blue tint goes away but it appears a bit greenish/yellow now. Any troubleshooting suggestions? I've already messed around with the color temp., brightness, contrast, gamma mode, wiggled the cable, all that good stuff. I've also played with the settings on the computer with no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

That is how many usage hours has passed since the lamp timer was last reset. There is no way to know if the lamp was replaced the last time the counter was set. Hopefully you only paid $150-$300 tops for that projector and the image is nice and bright. If it was an OEM lamp you can expect to get 4000 hours out of it. My HC3000 which i picked up almost 4 years ago on criags for $150 and replaced the lamp with a new OEM ($300) has almost 4000 hour on that lamp and going strong on low lamp with iris closed.

Hooking up computers to a home theater projector can be problematic can't really help with that, good luck
First ... 85  86  87

Up