Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1647 Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I just received the TW700 (810) Epson, however all the on screen menu's and manual are all in Japanese, anyone know how to change it to English???

According to teh TW700 user manual (downloadable link posted by Joe_Black earlier on in this thread), you can set the language from the Settings->Language menu item. The Settings menu option is the 3rd menu item from the top on the main menu and the Language menu option is the 2nd from the bottom on that Settings menu. HTH.

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1647 Old 12-15-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the 810 have the ability to vertically stretch 2:35:1 material to fill the screen?
post #363 of 1647 Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

According to teh TW700 user manual (downloadable link posted by Joe_Black earlier on in this thread), you can set the language from the Settings->Language menu item. The Settings menu option is the 3rd menu item from the top on the main menu and the Language menu option is the 2nd from the bottom on that Settings menu. HTH.

Got it- Thanks. Who and where would one order calibration software or recommended settings?

I've very impressed with this pj, my buddy and I spend a few hours today scrutinizing the images and settings. We compared sources between ps3 bluray,dvd, and xbox hd dvd. At a 96" screen sitting 11' away you see no sde. Dvd vs. HD source is incredible, we froze frames in King Kong between the two formats and where very impressed with hd. I paid around $2200 from eastporters who I'd recommend.
Any questions let me know
post #364 of 1647 Old 12-15-2006, 03:11 PM

[quote=dan webster]I just received my epson 700 . I am very impressed so far. I upgraded from a sanyo Z2, which i was very happy with. The owners manual howevewr is in japanese. I was able to finally change the pj menu to english after printing out pics of projector reviews , review of the epson 800.
Two questions. anybody know where i can download the epson 700 menu in english ? QUOTE]

I just googled mine, I'm printing out a 60 page booklet as I type.
post #365 of 1647 Old 12-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=JRC128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

I just received my epson 700 . I am very impressed so far. I upgraded from a panny 900, which i was very happy with. The owners manual howevewr is in japanese. I was able to finally change the pj menu to english after printing out pics of projector reviews , review of the epson 800.
Two questions. anybody know where i can download the epson 700 menu in english ? QUOTE]

I just googled mine, I'm printing out a 60 page booklet as I type.

I downloaded the manual too. I guess we both have upgraded from a panny 900. It is certainly sharper than the panny with much more contrast. I have however begun to see some faint VB. It was not there at first but now it is slightly noticable. I guess that is the price you pay for going LCD. Other than the VB i am thrilled with it.
Let me know if you can see any on yours. Im wondering if it varies from unit to unit.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #366 of 1647 Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC128 View Post

Got it- Thanks. Who and where would one order calibration software or recommended settings?

I've very impressed with this pj, my buddy and I spend a few hours today scrutinizing the images and settings. We compared sources between ps3 bluray,dvd, and xbox hd dvd. At a 96" screen sitting 11' away you see no sde. Dvd vs. HD source is incredible, we froze frames in King Kong between the two formats and where very impressed with hd. I paid around $2200 from eastporters who I'd recommend.
Any questions let me know

I may be sitting at 11' as well, but with a 118 inch diag screen. Can you tell me how close you can get BEFORE seeing SDE?
post #367 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

In my last post i mentioned VB. After several hours of experimenting with different hookups it seems it is not VB. It is some kind of interferance caused my either my processor or maybee a ground loop hum.
There is no VB at all when i use hdmi on either cable or hd dvd. HOwever when i watch cable or sd dvd through component video switched throiugh my rotel 1098 the VB is there. I can pause a scene on either then switch back and forth between hdmi and component and see the difference.
Good news is it is not the projector. Bad news is that i now have to do some changes top my equipment rack which includes 3 dvd players hd cable box, xbox 360 all going to both the epson and a vizio 32 inch lcd tv.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #368 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Good news is it is not the projector. Bad news is that i now have to do some changes top my equipment rack which includes 3 dvd players hd cable box, xbox 360 all going to both the epson and a vizio 32 inch lcd tv.

Your Xbox 360, is it connected via component or VGA? What do you think of the quality of the image compared to hdmi?
If you look at projectorcentral slash epson_cinema_810 dot htm : 'Image sharpness on the Cinema 810 varies. High definition content suffers from softness, especially when compared to other 720p LCD projectors." Could it be an issue with component? Or is it a "subjective" soft image?
post #369 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'd like to know if the soft image they referred to was via HDMI or component.
post #370 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I cant find the site for the review. It does not seem to be posted yet on projector central. The projector is extremely sharp imo onall inputs.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #371 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
www.projectorcentral/epson_cinema_810.htm

I was able to see it earlier, but now it is not available..hhmm.
post #372 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

thanks anyway. guess i will have to wait.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #373 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

try this one: http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_cinema_810.htm

If this is the final review (it does not appear to be public yet) then it is a bit underwhelming and you have to question how the AX100 can get 5 stars for performance.

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
post #374 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

I would rather see projector reviews review of the unit. They seem much more unbiased and they are more comprehensive. Projector central gives 4 stars for ease of use. The epson has better lens shift, longer throw distance, very easy menu to navigate and more user memory settings compared to the panny 100.
GO figure. Oh by the way i did not notice as ,many links to purchase the epson as the panny.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #375 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

They were equally underwhelmed with the Cinema 400, and Art at projector reviews seemed to like it. I'd be interested to see him review the 810 as well.
post #376 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Dan, if you type in the address the way the wrote it, the review is there. It's a little strange though. The Australian site measured the TW700 at 2300 lumens, equal to the Panasonic AX100, but here they measured the 810 at 1390, that's a pretty large discrepancy. Also odd that they say the Epson was soft when folks have said it was much sharper than the Panasonic AX100 they'd seen.

I'll have one in my hands tomorrow and can compare it to my Panasonic 500.
post #377 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

www.projectorcentral/epson_cinema_810.htm

I was able to see it earlier, but now it is not available..hhmm.

Try this link, I just used yours, but put in the .com after the website name:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_cinema_810.htm
post #378 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

I'd like to know if the soft image they referred to was via HDMI or component.

Based on page 63 of the manual, it appears that they were using component (at least for some parts of the review). Since the review refers to the "larger" function (not "auto") when talking about over scan. "Larger" applies to component connections, while auto applies to HDMI.
post #379 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Dan, if you type in the address the way the wrote it, the review is there. It's a little strange though. The Australian site measured the TW700 at 2300 lumens, equal to the Panasonic AX100, but here they measured the 810 at 1390, that's a pretty large discrepancy. Also odd that they say the Epson was soft when folks have said it was much sharper than the Panasonic AX100 they'd seen.

I'll have one in my hands tomorrow and can compare it to my Panasonic 500.

projectorcentral's numbers are wrong, or should I say, biased.

These are the brightness numbers Art from projector reviews reported on the Epson 400 also rated at 1600 lumens on Epson's spec which happens to use the same lamp as the 810/TW700

* Theater Dark1: 468 lumens (pre calibration) 433 post calibration
* Theater: 515 lumens
* Living Room: 1107 lumens
* Dynamic: a breathtaking 1979 lumens!

I had to laugh when I read about PJC's soft comment. In all honesty the Epson's picture is razor sharp. If the Epson's picture is soft, then the Panny is like watching thru the bottom of a glass coke bottle.
post #380 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

I had to laugh when I read about PJC's soft comment. In all honesty the Epson's picture is razor sharp. If the Epson's picture is soft, then the Panny is like watching thru the bottom of a glass coke bottle.

I wonder if they watched multiple HD programming (or HD DVDs). Perhaps it was the source they used in doing the review? Some HD programs looks soft no matter what the hardware is.
post #381 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

projectorcentral's numbers are wrong, or should I say, biased.

These are the brightness numbers Art from projector reviews reported on the Epson 400 also rated at 1600 lumens on Epson's spec which happens to use the same lamp as the 810/TW700

* Theater Dark1: 468 lumens (pre calibration) 433 post calibration
* Theater: 515 lumens
* Living Room: 1107 lumens
* Dynamic: a breathtaking 1979 lumens!

I agree 100% This projector is like looking at the sun on dynamic mode compared to any of my other projectors. I was able to watch hd football today in my basement theater with the LIGHTS ON and it looked really good. No not as good as with no light in one of the dark modes but still pretty darn good.
I can never go back to a dimmer pj again, no matter how much better the picture may be. With my vb issue gone i am 100% satisfied with my purchase and a rarely ever say that.
AS far as the pj not being sharp on hd modes i cant disagree more. It is razor sharp on most hd sources through hdmi. Through component it is nearly as sharp. Only a side by side would show the difference. The review is correct about sd dvd's. they arer amazing compared to my previous projectors. I watched some of the INcredibles through hdmi on my toshiba hd1 and it look like hd.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #382 of 1647 Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

You'll be hard pressed to find ANY problems whatsoever with the Epson. It works amazingly well and the excellent optics and processing are fantastic. It's bewildering to try to understand how PJC gave it the rating and review that it did.

Then you read posts like this and wonder how PJC gave it and maintained a 5 star rating despite all the reported QC and build quality issues.

Joe
post #383 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll be hard pressed to find ANY problems whatsoever with the Epson. It works amazingly well and the excellent optics and processing are fantastic. It's bewildering to try to understand how PJC gave it the rating and review that it did.

Then you read posts like this and wonder how PJC gave it and maintained a 5 star rating despite all the reported QC and build quality issues.

Joe

Its clear why. The rating is based largely on the cost. Its not a pure video quality rating.

The very first paragraph of the review says this:

"While there is no doubt in its ability as a good, solid home theater projector, its price is something of a sticking point."

While the ax100 is a nice projector too, I was always wary of its reviews, since they too seemed to be focused on the LOW cost of that projector.

It would be nice to see reviews based strictly on quality, and then simply let the consumer see the msrp and make their own decisions on that.
post #384 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Joe and other owners:

I have had the 810 now for a couple of weeks, and have been experimenting with the various settings. I tend to watch either movies or football. This projector seems to handle both quite well, but I was wondering if some of you could share your favorite color modes (Natural, Cinema Black etc.) and any other tweaks that
you may have uncovered. I have used AVIA to some extent, but it doesn't do much good for non-DVD sources like football. So far, I have settled on Natural as my all around mode.

On another note, I have always used the forum for purchasing these kinds of items, and rely less on the "professional reviews". If the professional review backs up the real world observations then its a winner. The projector central review of the 810 baffles me. I had the Z5 projector for a short while, and it's regarded as a relatively sharp projector. I traded it in for the 810 due to the color problems I was having. This 810 is every bit as sharp as the Z5 in all modes with the addition of having more brightness and better color accuracy. I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I can't believe the reviewer and I are seeing the same projector ( they rated the Z5 way over the 810 ).

I know that price was a major mark againt the projector in his mind, but I can't believe that the performance was also down-graded. It makes me wonder if this whole projector review thing is a lot more subjective. Or there is a lot of variability between actual production units.

Mark
post #385 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post

Joe and other owners:

I have had the 810 now for a couple of weeks, and have been experimenting with the various settings. I tend to watch either movies or football. This projector seems to handle both quite well, but I was wondering if some of you could share your favorite color modes (Natural, Cinema Black etc.) and any other tweaks that
you may have uncovered. I have used AVIA to some extent, but it doesn't do much good for non-DVD sources like football. So far, I have settled on Natural as my all around mode.

On another note, I have always used the forum for purchasing these kinds of items, and rely less on the "professional reviews". If the professional review backs up the real world observations then its a winner. The projector central review of the 810 baffles me. I had the Z5 projector for a short while, and it's regarded as a relatively sharp projector. I traded it in for the 810 due to the color problems I was having. This 810 is every bit as sharp as the Z5 in all modes with the addition of having more brightness and better color accuracy. I am the furthest thing from an expert, but I can't believe the reviewer and I are seeing the same projector ( they rated the Z5 way over the 810 ).

I know that price was a major mark againt the projector in his mind, but I can't believe that the performance was also down-graded. It makes me wonder if this whole projector review thing is a lot more subjective. Or there is a lot of variability between actual production units.

Mark

Mark:

Could you focus on SDE with this projector. Where does it begin to be bad for you as you move closer to the screen (how many feet back from the screen)? And how wide is your screen?

Thanks.
post #386 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems like the price should only come into play on the value rating, not on performance.
post #387 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
ceasar1:

I have a 100" diagonal screen and now sit 10 feet away. I actually moved the couch up from where my last projector was due to the lack of SDE on this projector. If I remember, I could see very faint SDE at a little over 8 feet on extremely bright scenes. You really have to constantly focus to see it at all at that distance.

Mark
post #388 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 AM

The 810 projector review by projector central is an absolute joke - it's so bad you have to laugh !!

this is a weird snipet and leads me to believe that they have no clue what they are doing over there

"No projector is without its quirks. On the Cinema 810, deinterlacing must be activated manually through the menu system. This is a bit of a hassle, but it only needs to be done once. The projector also clips a good bit of the image by default, so output scaling should be changed from "Normal" to "Larger" in order to reduce unnecessary overscan."

This satement is only true when you send it a 480i signal via component - if you send it 720P or 1080i through HDMI then the setting is greyed out and you can't mess with it because it automatically deinterlaces the signal if you send it 1080i - based on this statement God only knows what source material they were testing this out . This snipet is also basically a cut and paste from the 400 review.

They are obviously in bed with Panni and Sanyo etc - As i said, this review is just soooooooo far from the truth it's funny.

If you are thinking of getting this projector do not be put off by this totally biased review - read this thread and make your decisions based on what other people who have this projector are saying.

cheers - Tom
post #389 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post

ceasar1:

I have a 100" diagonal screen and now sit 10 feet away. I actually moved the couch up from where my last projector was due to the lack of SDE on this projector. If I remember, I could see very faint SDE at a little over 8 feet on extremely bright scenes. You really have to constantly focus to see it at all at that distance.

Mark

Cool. Your screen is 87 inches wide. If you multiply 87 x 1.2 (and divide by 12) -- you get: 8.7 feet

So at greater than or equal to roughly 1.2 times the screen width it seems like SDE will NOT be an issue.

My eyeballs will be at 11 feet from the screen -- with a 103 inch wide (118 diag) screen.

103 x 1.2 /12 = 10.3 feet

So I should be okay then. I'll be sitting at roughly 1.3 x screen width. Thanks!
post #390 of 1647 Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM

Seems like a lot of people are po'd about the review. I have not seen it yet, but am curious. There has been no discussion here on affiliation of these sites, but someone who is IN THE KNOW big-time told me that both projector central and projector reviews are affiliated with retailers (one of them was www.projectorpeople.com) and over time they have seen unobjective and downright woeful reviews because they don't have access to authorized distribution of all the pjs and they rate the pjs they can actually sell through their retailing division higher. I think we were specifically discussing the Sony Pearl when he relayed this to me, but maybe it applies to Epson also.

I am sure someone here knows the truth on this skinny. I bet these thread readers would be interested to know.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page