Zoombox review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First, let me thank my friend Dr. Eduardo for loaning me his zoombox. I brought it home to test it and see how a 234i pj will do.

My theater is a converted bedroom with full light control. The screen is a wall paint in lowe's valspar plank grey flat interior. The best "image" you can attain before the pixellation becomes too unbearable is about 50" 4:3. Obviously, you need a darkened room but even with the theater door open it is still bright enough for viewing. The throw for a 50" is about 6'9" or so.

The screen is 66x86

My ht and the zoombox

One interesting note about the projector is that it handle anamorphic. I set my outboard dvd player (you can only connect externally via composite, hence the "234i" rating) to watch in widescreen mode as well as my Samsung OTA HD receiver and the projector stretched it correctly.

There is no keystoning so the middle of the lens is the middle of the picture. using the stand results in a slight trapezoid look. Not too bad but no keystoning is definitely better.

All images are at 50" 4:3. The images are brighter but not much more than what you see.

Pablo from the Backyardigans (the image is a little brighter than this (but not much)

Mission Impossible 2

Same image with closeup of car (note pixellation)

Background "detail"

DVD player pause icon

Overall, it's not a bad projector. The delay time is what you'd expect from a low res lcd which hasbro used, but still okay for video games (I suppose)

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Think small, project big!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Liked: 10
cool thanks!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 PM

First, I'd like to thank you. This is the first time anyone has ever actually posted pictures of the zoombox in action.

I wonder if it would be possible to simply install a brighter bulb? I think it uses a standard 12v halogen bulb... so in theory you could just get another 12v bulb that's brighter and perhaps add a fan inside for extra cooling.

anyone?

tech-bum
post #4 of 9 Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A one word review would suffice for this projector: "Garbage.".
post #5 of 9 Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-bum View Post

First, I'd like to thank you. This is the first time anyone has ever actually posted pictures of the zoombox in action.

I wonder if it would be possible to simply install a brighter bulb? I think it uses a standard 12v halogen bulb... so in theory you could just get another 12v bulb that's brighter and perhaps add a fan inside for extra cooling.

anyone?

tech-bum

And you'd still be stuck with the horrible resolution.

Put it to you this way- I recently "built" a projector for my kids playroom (my old pool table room ) and the I bought from craigslist a $12.00 ovehead projector and a $20.00 projection panel from a surplus computer store. The panel was a model Sharp 1850 and had a resolution of 640x480. It had S-video, vga, and composite inputs. Even doing this old fashioned setup the picture compared to the zoombox was brighter, sharper, clearer. The only thing the zoombox has going for it is sex appeal (built-in dvd player, gloss black stylish case) and nothing else. Even the cheap stuff coming out of China now will blow this model out the water.

Wait for version 2.0

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Think small, project big!

post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Does anyone know how to reset the picture my zoombox is out of center help
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Does Any one Know How to recenter the zoombox projector help
post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
try unplugging the unit for 1min
post #9 of 9 Old 02-17-2007, 03:41 PM

i just love love love my zoombox. i'm el cheapo. no 1000$ plus projector for me. i use 51 inch wide silver type wrapping paper for my screen, the white side nice bright image. i 'm snug as a bug in a rug., paid 75.00 for zoombox 15.00 for screen.all on ebay wala
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page