post #451 of 813 Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

I agree that it would be nice if Panasonic would do this for us but they have already extended the warranty on existing units due to all of the complaints.

How have they "extended" the warranty? The unit already comes with a 2 year warranty as standard (at least in Europe and Australasia).

MY HT BUILD BLOG

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/MarkH

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105927
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 813 Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 AM

Liked: 10
I bought mine online from the Uk, although you may be referring to mainland europe, and it had a one year Panasonic warranty.

My Iris died at about 500hours. Panny fixed it without fuss, but it was still under warranty anyway. I've been chatting to other people that got their's fixed, and the understanding is, that if the old iris type was installed, it will just die again anyway. I don't care about that, it's the shutting down that is the problem, the lack of contrast I'd live with, although it's part of the units marketing hype. Pity, the techs seem to have no way of setting up a bypass on the iris self check when the pj boots up, so if it dies, the pj still works.
post #453 of 813 Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all

Well I got mine back yesturday. In the tech report it just says iris replaced. I powered it up and Yeah it did not power back off like it use too. Honestly I can not tell one bit of difference picture quality wise. At least not in the eight or so hours that I have watched it over the last two days. Also all of my pictures setting were retained, wich i was sure I was going to loose. It does have the new Blue Test screen that some have mentioned, it was the white one when I sent it out.

So anyways all fixed with no fuss and covered under warrenty. Lets see how long this iris last.

Jerry
post #454 of 813 Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Hi everyone
I bought the TH-ax100 from "eastporters" in Jan/07 knowing the menu was Japanese only but firgured either using an english manual to firgure out the set up was ok or maybe a firmware update later would allow me to add an english menu. Anyone had any experience or fortune in getting this change add?
Also now have 712 hours on the unit and starting to see some odd flickering and on 2 occassions it shutdown on its own. It's starting to look like the iris bug is hitting me as well. It sucks because I love this PJ for hdtv sports and HD DVD movies.
Easporters no longer sells any PJs and when they were, if there was a problem with there units they would ship them back to Japan (a long and expensive ordeal).
My questions are in regard to the extended warranty (15 months /2000 hours)whether it might apply to the TH-ax100 and whether service dealers locally (Canada or US- everyone talks about heartland) would do the needed repairs and upgrades, even if I had to pay for it? Or maybe just one of the DYI methods but does that cure the flicker?

I did call Panasonic Canada and they told me they have no record of a TH-ax100 only the pt-ax100 therefore they wouldn't touch it since they don't have the specific manual for it.
I did see one early thread (#104- dljewer) who found a place in Kitchener, Ontario to repair their TH-ax100 (I'm in Toronto), did it work for you? Should I just PM this person?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks
post #455 of 813 Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Hi There,

The company your looking for is called Steves TV in Kitchner http://www.stevestv[dot]com (remove the brackets).

Roger is the technician. He is very on the ball and has done many TH's from Eastporters.

They charge 270 shipped to do the replacement. I sent mine in around 800 hrs. I am now on my second bulb at about 3000hrs total and have had no issues since the fix.

I recommend and had a good experience with them.

At the time when I did mine (about a year ago) he was not comfortable updating the firmware but maybe he has done it since. Please ask him and let us know I would be interested.

Second tip I can give you is for replacement bulbs. From a recommendation here at AVS, I got mine from Japan[dot]com. It cost a total of 245 shipped to my door, no import tax. Quite a good deal if you ask me!.

Good luck,

z
post #456 of 813 Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM

Found Vegasjefs pictures of the original ax100 iris, page 6, post 178 this thread. By just removing the bulb, I can see that the replacement iris in my ax100 does not have the snap ring on the lower pivot and appears to have the same pivot mechanism as the one seen on the upper iris pivot in the Vegasjef post. That would make it the ax200 assembly I'm sure. You can only see the bottom pivot from the lamp bay by the way.

So I did get a the correct assembly it seems. I am lost as to why I was not told this after several requests as to the nature of the fix. It was clear I was well versed with the issue, and had made it clear I knew the only real fix was the redesigned iris - one wonders.

Anyway, I am now ready to kiss and make up with Panny, but .... I 'm not yet ready to take it further, although we have had a relationship dating back a few decades. As relationships go, Panny stays up to date with the newest trends, and remains sexy to me after many years. Better then any other relationship I've been in. Glad I don't use my real name, the other fleshy woman in my life would be jealous, maybe even leave me. But, I'd still have my lovely fixed up Panny to entertain me with glorious images of Ashley and Jessica in the masterpiece ' Into the Blue.'
post #457 of 813 Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 PM

I have a long story that will be condensed with the PT-AX100. I purchased mine in November'06. Four months later, mine had the oh-so-familiar problem with it shutting off(with ~1200 hours). I turned it in to get it repaired and received it back 4 months later. It worked great for about 6 months and the problem happened again. First, once it would shut off, then twice, etc. now it is to the point that, today, I reset it every time, every minute or so when it shut off, for about an hour and a half. I have been looking for an answer for this problem and I found this forum today with all of the 18+pages of people reporting bout the same thing. Somebody reported about taking out the lamp through the access door and lubing up the dynamic iris bottom "pivoting point". I only had lithium grease and greased it directly. I put it bacl togethre and have been watching it for half an hour straight with no flaws. I am amazed. The part I left out was that my buddy with the same exact projector has the same exact problem but his has only been doing it for about 3 months with 1600 hours. I originally looked for a replacement part from panasonic in these forums and will continue to do so but I figured this would be a "GREAT" temp fix. I will continue to look for a part# til I find someone who was able to get an exact one. Panasonic has a parts breakdon and I saw an iris kit for $97 but Idon't want buy it til i'm sure.
Hope this helps somebody!!
post #458 of 813 Old 02-17-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeps_01 View Post

I have a long story that will be condensed with the PT-AX100. I purchased mine in November'06. Four months later, mine had the oh-so-familiar problem with it shutting off(with ~1200 hours). I turned it in to get it repaired and received it back 4 months later. It worked great for about 6 months and the problem happened again. First, once it would shut off, then twice, etc. now it is to the point that, today, I reset it every time, every minute or so when it shut off, for about an hour and a half. I have been looking for an answer for this problem and I found this forum today with all of the 18+pages of people reporting bout the same thing. Somebody reported about taking out the lamp through the access door and lubing up the dynamic iris bottom "pivoting point". I only had lithium grease and greased it directly. I put it bacl togethre and have been watching it for half an hour straight with no flaws. I am amazed. The part I left out was that my buddy with the same exact projector has the same exact problem but his has only been doing it for about 3 months with 1600 hours. I originally looked for a replacement part from panasonic in these forums and will continue to do so but I figured this would be a "GREAT" temp fix. I will continue to look for a part# til I find someone who was able to get an exact one. Panasonic has a parts breakdon and I saw an iris kit for $97 but Idon't want buy it til i'm sure.
Hope this helps somebody!!

I think you have areal issue with Heartand or who ever serviced your PJ. Until the AX200 came out, the defective iris in the AX was repalced with another defective iris, which usually failed. This is a very embarassing thing for Panasonic, and I would be surprised if you couldn't convince them to substitute the newly designed iris from the 200 for you. It sure doesn't look good for Panny to have a lot of publicity that they knowingly placed defective parts in projectors. So before you get 'all greasy' consider a warm and friendly call to Heartlans and Panny if needed.
Best wishes, Barry

Barry
post #459 of 813 Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM

wow, z...wish you had posted that information a lot eariler for all us canadians. after having no luck getting a local panasonic repair shop to fix it i ended up sending mine to heartland in states where they seem to know what they are doing. i called them and asked them the status today and they are 'calculating the cost' as it was not under warranty. which sounds scary to me. cost me 40$ to send it fedex ground to them from toronto so far.

i'll post the full cost when i find the good or bad news.
post #460 of 813 Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Hi ggenglish,

That info was here in the forums, that's where I found it.
And I answered your post two hours after you posted, don't
think I could've been earlier!

Good luck with the repair,

z
post #461 of 813 Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggenglish View Post

wow, z...wish you had posted that information a lot eariler for all us canadians. after having no luck getting a local panasonic repair shop to fix it i ended up sending mine to heartland in states where they seem to know what they are doing. i called them and asked them the status today and they are 'calculating the cost' as it was not under warranty. which sounds scary to me. cost me 40$ to send it fedex ground to them from toronto so far.

i'll post the full cost when i find the good or bad news.

As a Canadian, living in the USA, i wish you the best of luck. It is my understanding that a new iris assembly from the AX200 is over $600.00! But for others who may not yet have purchased a projectior, please remember that they are extaordinarily complex machines sold for a ridiculously low price (for what you get), and knocked out so quickly they have no time to thoroughly test them. That is why an extended warranty is essential for this kind of component even if you never purchase them for other items. Remember that Costco, Visa and Amexco all double the manufactureres warranty, and Visa and others sell extended waranties as well. I am sitting on 4 years of worry free viewing for $168.00. If you haven't yet purchased, think of the service after, and extend your coverage,Barry.

Barry
post #462 of 813 Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee12 View Post

Hi There,

The company your looking for is called Steves TV in Kitchner http://www.stevestv[dot]com (remove the brackets).

Roger is the technician. He is very on the ball and has done many TH's from Eastporters.

They charge 270 shipped to do the replacement. I sent mine in around 800 hrs. I am now on my second bulb at about 3000hrs total and have had no issues since the fix.

I recommend and had a good experience with them.

At the time when I did mine (about a year ago) he was not comfortable updating the firmware but maybe he has done it since. Please ask him and let us know I would be interested.

Second tip I can give you is for replacement bulbs. From a recommendation here at AVS, I got mine from Japan[dot]com. It cost a total of 245 shipped to my door, no import tax. Quite a good deal if you ask me!.

Good luck,

z

Hey Zee, please supply more info on the great deal on the bulb. I tried japan.com and couldn't find it. Your help would be appreciated, Barry.

Barry
post #463 of 813 Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM

Hi Barry (et al),

My typo, it is not japan.com it is (remove all brackets) [price][japan][dot]com.

Here is the page - remove the bracket, add the http:, the slashes, and the www.

[price][japan][dot]com/front/e_good_info.php?code=248&category=7

It's actually lower now at 21,000 yen. ($198 greenbacks).

z
post #464 of 813 Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 PM

I am still having the problem. I repaired it temporarily with the lithium grease but I need a more temporary fix. I told my friend to do it to his and he is doing good so far. As soon as I got home, I turned my projector on. A minute later, it shut off on me. I tried it two more times to no avail. I took the lamp off again and worked the iris and sprayed a little more lithium grease in there. Now it works perfectly again but for how long? Anybody know the part # on panasonic.com for the PT-AX200 for the correct iris or what is needed? I know I can do it myself considering I have taken many, many electronics apart and my computer science degree, even though when I talked to panasonic, they strongly advised otherwise. They even admitted they knew about the problem but they could not give me a part number due to liability reasons. I returned that I would sign a waiver, but they still fought on helping me with any part number. If anybody got their unit repaired and could possibly help me with, maybe a part number on their invoice or any info, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I love this unit and I do not want to let it go.
post #465 of 813 Old 02-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweekme View Post

Ok, got my AX100 back via UPS RED this morning.

They did the following:
New Iris Assembly (the AX200 new one)
Firmware update to 1.12 (was on 1.08)
New Optical Block
New Lamp

Thanks, Scott K.

you couldn't by chance find out the part # for the new iris could you? the parts list on the panasonic site lists the iris # for the 100 (see image) but not the 200. i'm guessing they just call it something else... because it looks like every single part is listed. it'sd be nice to find out if i could just order the new part directly and replace it myself...
LL

Waiting For Neural Implants.
post #466 of 813 Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

doesn't seem to be listed here...
LL

Waiting For Neural Implants.
post #467 of 813 Old 02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

So what's the consensus on what to do if your warranty is about to expire and the iris problem has yet to occur? Given the number of cases in this thread alone, it sounds like a definite.

(I'm asking on my behalf of my technophobe older brother, to whom I recommended this PJ in the first place and am thus responsible by default for anything that goes wrong with it).
post #468 of 813 Old 02-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensibull View Post

So what's the consensus on what to do if your warranty is about to expire and the iris problem has yet to occur? Given the number of cases in this thread alone, it sounds like a definite.

(I'm asking on my behalf of my technophobe older brother, to whom I recommended this PJ in the first place and am thus responsible by default for anything that goes wrong with it).

And on behalf on me (thanks sensibull), who bought this PJ on closeout just 45 days ago. My wife will have 2000 hours on it by October (it's her [our?] primary TV). Any way to make it go bad prematurely?

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #469 of 813 Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 AM

Hello GLBright.

When the iris goes, and it will, you have to turn on and off the power a few times to get the pj to stay on. So the red 'ok' in the service menu (don't bother with that) reverts to green or whatever colour it is. It done that on mine, point being, that it's enough to say you had to switch it on and off. So just say you had to power the pj on and off a few times to get it to stay on, and your sure it's iris issue as talked about on this forum. Panny will look after you.

I'm more honest then most, but in this case, it's a component that just doesn't work well and needs replacing for free, as it's a case of Research and Development that wasn't fully implemented, or so it seems. Three guys I know off, one is a friend, who live in my own city have the ax100, and the iris failed on each of them. I found Panasonic very easy and pleasent to deal with, and will continue to buy their brand. And as has been said, it's amazing technology for the money, so we have to try remain calm and collect, pleasent even, since panny seems to be fixing them.
post #470 of 813 Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Good advice smartbodydublin, but do you think the lack of a "red" flag in the service menu will give up the lie?
post #471 of 813 Old 02-23-2008, 06:00 AM

As I explained, and as all the owners of failed ax100 irises know, you have to power up the unit a few times to get it to work. In doing so, the red 'ok' reverts back to normal. You just say it started happening, and you have to power it up a few times to get it to work. When it's sent it's just in green because you powered it up.. It's not a lie when you are anticipaing a high probability event like a well reported component failure - that is forward planing, and maintaining your investment such that you do not have to pay more for something then was necessary! May take till your on your second bulb, but I really doubt that. Option 2, is to take out an extended guarentee with a third party provider as I did. They can then source the part in a year or 2 if you need it repaired.

Mine went around 500hours, my friends at over 1500hrs, but I've read they tend to go mostly under 1000hrs, at least on these treads.

To remember what it's all about, I just enjoyed a great movie on my ax100 last night. It was in SD, on a 106' screen, and it was a good transfer, and the pj picture was superb.

Hope you get it fixed. The wd40 on a cotton bud is option if you have no joy. read back a bit and you'll see referances to it.
post #472 of 813 Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you kindly, smartbodydublin. I hadn't grokked that the red signal reverts to green (I misunderstood it be a flag of having occurred, not a current state). Hopefully my brother will take my advice and send it in.
post #473 of 813 Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM

mine has just started doing this and unfortunatley i do not have the orignal box, will panansonic not accept it in the original box?
post #474 of 813 Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
ike

Three weeks ago, I sent my AX100u in for repair for the IRIS problem and another strange issue. They told me their turn-around was 2 days !! So, I said great !!!

Three weeks later, I still don't have my projector. To be fair though, the people at Heartland have called me 3 times over the course of the 3 weeks, giving me an update and discussing my issues.

Last Friday they called and said it shipped. But today, they called and said that it still didn't ship as there was still a problem with it. When I asked them what the problem was, they said there's a problem with the latest firmware that affected the picture. So, Heartland had to work with Panasonic to correct this problem with the picture.

I wonder what the firmware problem is/was all about ???
post #475 of 813 Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post

Three weeks ago, I sent my AX100u in for repair for the IRIS problem and another strange issue. They told me their turn-around was 2 days !! So, I said great !!!

Three weeks later, I still don't have my projector. To be fair though, the people at Heartland have called me 3 times over the course of the 3 weeks, giving me an update and discussing my issues.

Last Friday they called and said it shipped. But today, they called and said that it still didn't ship as there was still a problem with it. When I asked them what the problem was, they said there's a problem with the latest firmware that affected the picture. So, Heartland had to work with Panasonic to correct this problem with the picture.

I wonder what the firmware problem is/was all about ???

If you find out more please post the details (firmware version etc).
post #476 of 813 Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahedz View Post

mine has just started doing this and unfortunatley i do not have the orignal box, will panansonic not accept it in the original box?

You will have to get a big sturdy box which is at least 4 inches bigger all around then the ax100. Then pack it all around with old (clean) cloths stuffed fairly tight, so the ax100 is well padded from bumps. Panny wont care, it's up to you to ship it in good protective box.

I found out that Ashly Scott from the classic movie, Into the Blue, also staring Jessica Alba is married....!!

I did not know this, and I find it distressing.. Just saying.. ):
post #477 of 813 Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnaron View Post

If you find out more please post the details (firmware version etc).

Yes, will do. I'm hoping that some details of what they did come with the projector. But at a minimum, I can post the firmware version.
post #478 of 813 Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM

Hi folks,
Here in the UK the updated firmware is version 1.15,this cures the purple/green streak problem,when using the hdmi connection.i think the original number was 1.02.hope this helps
post #479 of 813 Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmi View Post

I studied the case and I found the real problem, That's not the grease (sorry). Here you have my detailed brainstorming:

-The projector turn off when the iris doesn't move.

-If the iris is not jammed in the origin position (open) the projector will not shutdown. Even after 3 hours. Grease problem? hum...???

-When the iris is jammed, the linear motor (it's like an hard disk) vibrates and you can hear that if you turn-off your sound system. After a few secondes the projector protect itself (I dont figure the reason yet) by an automatic shutdown.

-Why the iris stay in open position at the startup?

-I have removed the top cover only to see the iris section.

- With a little screwdriver I played with the iris mechanism (maybe an hour).

- When the iris is in origin position, there is a little bit more friction to begin the rotation. After this startup friction, the mechanism is very smooth to move even in a cold grease condition.

- To test my theory without breaking or over modify the unit, I soldered a copper wire (18 gauge) on the little holed plate on the top. This wire is to stop the iris mechanism before the complet origin position (open). If you are interested I will take a picture of the mod.

Surprise! The projector doesn't go to protect shutdown after the mod. I dont hear no more the vibration of jammed motor.
DMI

Great post DMI. Sorry to see that you haven't posted again recently. Would be great to get an update on how this solution worked over a longer period.

I experienced the exact same IRIS failure issue on my AX200U after just 265 hours (3 months) of use. Same symptom of hearing the IRIS motoring and clicking noises, with screen going bright / dim, then projector shutdown. Also, with red IRIS OK in the status menu etc. etc.

This happened every time I powered up, so the projector was unusable. Also, as I had imported after US release (even though before available locally) the local Panasonic office refuses to repair even if I am happy to pay, on the basis that it is a parallel import!

To avoid the cost of return freight back to the US, I thought I would read up this thread. DMI's post caught my eye.

I didn't want to solder anything, or open the unit up (f possible). I noticed that the bottom IRIS pivot is clearly visible from the lamp housing, even with the lamp installed.

So what I did was get a spade lug, and attach a short right angle piece of firm wire (actually cut-off tail from a 1w resistor). Cut to the right length so it creates a stop point but does not interfere with the pivot when the IRIS is fully closed, this creates an easily adjustable stop for the lower IRIS pivot, by simply sliding the spade lug under one of the lamp mounting screws, and tightening the screw when the IRIS pivot is moved just off it's stop point to a more horizontal "full open" position.

I noted that at it's normal stop the IRIS is actually past horizontal (ie. past the full open point), so it did seem logical that perhaps a new stop point that positioned the IRIS flap a more horizontal stop point may assist.

OK, so I powered up the projector, and Woohoo! for the first time in many power-up attempts, the projector operated normally! No clicking, no flashing, and no shutdown!

Note that I did not open the projector, and I have not done anything with grease or WD40 or anything else.

Time will tell of-course, as I have only powered up 3 times with this fix so far, all without the problem re-occurring. But this modification of the stop point that DMI identified, certainly fixed the 100% consistent IRIS power-up failure that I was experiencing, and in my case this was not complicated by any other fix methods being attempted (ie. no grease, lube, or even opening of the projector).

Only other issue, is that I do not know whether the AX200 lamp mounting / IRIS access layout is identical to the AX100 (as I do not have one), so not sure if this 'no-solder' mounting point IRIS stop point fix will also work for the AX100.

If others are interested, I can try and take some photo's of what I have done.
post #480 of 813 Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Further to the above post, attached are a couple of photos to show the adjustable IRIS full-open stop point, fashioned from a spade lug with piece of stiff wire attached and bent to a right angle and cut to a length so that it provides a full-open "horizontal" stop point, without interfering with IRIS motion through to the fully closed position.

The spade lug is attached to the closest lamp mounting screw and adjusted by holding the lug so that the IRIS pivot is in a horizontal position (which in my case was about a millimeter rotation off the normal full-open stop point), and then tightening the lamp mounting screw.
LL
LL
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax100u Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page