PT-AX100 problem? - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 816 Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

An update. My local repair shop tells me it's a bad power supply. $72 parts, and $150 labor.

Picked it up this evening. The invoice says "MOSFETS & capacitors on Power Supply". With some stabilization help from my wife (standing on a sofa while trying to mount a projector is precarious at best) we got it up and running. So far, so good. It's been on a couple hours with no temp light coming on.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 816 Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

No words of wisdom? I'd really hate to have to buy another projector if I can salvage this one at all.

post #813 of 816 Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNoch View Post

No words of wisdom? I'd really hate to have to buy another projector if I can salvage this one at all.

OK, here's what's wierd. Before the repair the projector would make grinding noises on startup and occasionally while watching. Pretty sure this was symptomatic of the iris lubrication issue. I've used 3in1 on a Q-tip several times to combat this issue, usually successfully for a while. Since the power supply repair it has been very quiet. The fans fire up on start up but are as quiet as new, AFAIK. Almost like a new lease on life. Time will tell. I doubt that I will spend this much on another repair. It's been stalwart if not too bright.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #814 of 816 Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still running after 17 months since cleaning pivot points

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4bkv View Post
I've been experiencing the auto-iris problem for several years now and each time it started acting up, I would apply WD-40 per previous instructions in this thread. Even with additional applications of WD-40, the projector got to the point where multiple power on cycles were required to get it to stay on. Eventually, that stopped working about a month ago as the projector would not stay on for more than a few minutes at a time. As I looked inside the projector around the auto-iris pivot points, I noticed fine dust buildup along the airflow channel. The dust seemed to be made harder by the fact that it was was heated significantly by the bulb when the projector was in operation. It occurred to me that the dust could be building up on the pivot points, so I sprayed some automotive mass air flow sensor cleaner (safe for plastics) over each pivot point making sure to not get the cleaner on any other parts. Since the cleaner evaporates by itself fairly quickly, there was no need to clean anything up after application. After cleanup, I powered up the projector and it stayed on! For now I'm going to leave the lube out since I think it was the cause of the eventual failure. I've been up and running flawlessly for a month now.

Just one word of caution: The cleaner is flammable, so make sure you let it fully evaporate and allow the projector to air out prior to power up.
Following cleanup of the auto-iris pivot points with mass air flow cleaner back in Oct '13, the projector continues to run without any issues. I'm now convinced that the pivot points were becoming clogged with dust sticking to the lubricant applied to those points. I now have 8000+ hours on this projector since it was installed in 2006.
post #815 of 816 Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4bkv View Post
Following cleanup of the auto-iris pivot points with mass air flow cleaner back in Oct '13, the projector continues to run without any issues. I'm now convinced that the pivot points were becoming clogged with dust sticking to the lubricant applied to those points. I now have 8000+ hours on this projector since it was installed in 2006.
Can you elaborate a bit more on these "iris pivot points"? Do you mean the metal rod that the iris rotates and gets stuck on? The points on the rod that are on each side of the plastic piece that gets stuck? In other words, from the videos and pics I've seen, most people just open the one small panel to gain access to the plastic iris piece that gets stuck and apply WD-40 or the lube of their choice on the rod to each side of the plastic piece. Are you saying to apply the mass air flow cleaner in the same manner?

I hope that makes sense.
post #816 of 816 Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana Man View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more on these "iris pivot points"? Do you mean the metal rod that the iris rotates and gets stuck on? The points on the rod that are on each side of the plastic piece that gets stuck? In other words, from the videos and pics I've seen, most people just open the one small panel to gain access to the plastic iris piece that gets stuck and apply WD-40 or the lube of their choice on the rod to each side of the plastic piece. Are you saying to apply the mass air flow cleaner in the same manner?

I hope that makes sense.
Yes, the pivot points being the points that people apply the lube to in the pics and videos that you've seen. I'm sure some may ding me for this, but since cleaning the points with mass air flow cleaner 18 months ago, I have not reapplied any lubricant. I image if you do apply lubricant following cleaning, the projector will run fine for a while until dust collects around those points again. As I pointed out in the original post, if you do use the mass air flow cleaner, take care not to get it on any other parts other than the pivot points and wait for it all to evaporate before turning the projector back on. If I remember correctly, I didn't spray it directly on the pivot points... or if I did, I did it very carefully. I think I ended up spraying some into a cup and then soaked the pivot points with a q-tip to dissolve any old lubricant and to clean off any muck. There's a significant force when the spray comes directly out of the can, so wearing some safety glasses is a good idea as well.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ax100u Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread - Ax100u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page