The Mitsubishi HD1000u vs. HD70 Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HD 70 and the Mitsubishi finally go head to head today. The room has total light control, however, the wall is slightly off white- kind of yellow. It may not be an ideal setup, but take it for what its worth.

---

So I've finally got the Mitsubishi in today. After calibrating with a THX test disc, I and four other individuals today sat through a test. Here are the brief brief conclusions.

Brightness: No contest, Mitsubishi hands down.

Color accuracy: After back and forth between the projectors, all of us except one person seemed to prefer the Mitsubishi.

Contrast: Mitsubishi in spades. We all honestly felt Mitsubishi was better in this term.

Black Levels: I give this one to HD70. My friend also agreed with me that the HD70 had slightly better blacks. When I say slight, I really mean SLIGHT. However, the other two preferred the Mitsubishi.

In the end we all unanimously agreed, the Mitsubishi is a better projector hands down.

This is just MY opinion- and three other college friends who hung around a tweeter and palm audio/video too much while we were in highschool. We aren't graduates of Videophile University, but there is no way getting around how clearly superior the Mitsubishi is.

That is that. The HD70 goes back today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One small request: My wallet is really hurting after paying 150 dollar restocking fee to circuit city. I am hoping someone can pm me and volunteer to give advice on how to make a 106 inch DIY screen. We have 5 able bodied men here, who want to truly taste what this projector offers. Thanks!
post #3 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 12:38 AM

awesome, thanx for the review,this is what everyone expect。
i have thought the Color accuracy on hd1000 is way ahead of hd70。looks they are not much difference。

en ,by the way,the sreen forum has a lot of good information on diy screen。
post #4 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks thuway. As far as black level, did you have the HD70's "AI" on or off?
post #5 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Image AI was on.

In any case I think it works like this: The black level in the HD1000u is not as good (acceptible) becuase of how damn bright the thing is. It hurts my eyes at times, and its at the LOWEST setting )
post #6 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If it was that close in black level with Image AI on then if Image AI was off the H1000U would most likely win. Image AI is not a feature many seem to like using for serious viewing though. I imagine it can get very distracting at times.
post #7 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway View Post

One small request: My wallet is really hurting after paying 150 dollar restocking fee to circuit city. I am hoping someone can pm me and volunteer to give advice on how to make a 106 inch DIY screen. We have 5 able bodied men here, who want to truly taste what this projector offers. Thanks!

As mentioned, checkout the DIY screen forum. There are some really good ideas in there that should help you guys make a top notch screen. You can probably do something very basic with paint(s) for under $30, some of the more impressive paint mixes will cost more, or try something newer such as a laminate which will run you a little over $100. If this is going in a dorm (sounds like it might be), consider the very durable laminate. Either way, there's certainly no reason you can't do a very nice DIY screen for well under $200.
post #8 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check out the "Do-able" board thread. I built my screen out of this material for my Mits HD1000U. Simply fantastic. I paid $15 for the board (had them cut it) and I made a frame wrapped with velvet - attached the board and hung like a picture. Total of about $70 including everything I used.
post #9 of 95 Old 12-13-2006, 01:07 PM

I was pumped about this stuff and I even found in a thread where a Plano Lowe's had DO-ABLE in stock but that was several years ago and I'm not able to find it here in Texas now. If you can get some do-able that would be a great savings and from what I've seen the pictures is great on this board/composite. Good luck man! Oh yeah head over to the DIY screen forum like the others have suggested.
post #10 of 95 Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

You can deepen blacks by setting the % to 7.5% and/or low lamp mode. I like mine at 3.75%. Thanks for confirming what we all suspected.

Huey ;-]
post #11 of 95 Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM

Built a wood frame and cover it with BO (Black Out) cloth from Joan's Fabrics or any place that sells curtains or fabric. You should be able to build a 106" Diag 16x9 screen for under $100:

$30 for wood (to make frame) and hardware
$20 for Black Out cloth (Project on rubbery side)
$15 for 3" black felt/velvet (masking boarder, so make frame 6" longer for Height and Width)
$15 for staple gun and staples
$20 for a case of good beer.

2 guys and 2 hours later you will have a great DIY screen. Plenty of threads in the DIY screen section.
post #12 of 95 Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_rd View Post

Built a wood frame and cover it with BO (Black Out) cloth from Joan's Fabrics or any place that sells curtains or fabric. You should be able to build a 106" Diag 16x9 screen for under $100:

$30 for wood (to make frame) and hardware
$20 for Black Out cloth (Project on rubbery side)
$15 for 3" black felt/velvet (masking boarder, so make frame 6" longer for Height and Width)
$15 for staple gun and staples
$20 for a case of good beer.

2 guys and 2 hours later you will have a great DIY screen. Plenty of threads in the DIY screen section.

Ditto I've built 2 of these my last a 108" screen and its just as good as any white screen Ive seen...But where did you get the felt.....Joanns as well, I could'nt find any (I was looking for velvet...too expensive) I used flat black paints outside corner trim
post #13 of 95 Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah ditto on the thanks for the review. Nothing like obsessing for a purchase for 2 months, buying and then having that purchase validated shortly thereafter

I've been reading that the white segment is off on the HD1000u when BC is set to 0 - but if so why the poor black level?
post #14 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WRT to your screen, I would recommend stopping by Woodcraft and picking up one these two items:

beadLOCK® Tenon Joinery System

or

Pock'it Jig Kit

I built one screen using miter joints Gorilla Glued together with flat metal brackets on the backside. That was a freaking out-of-square disaster, so, I bought some more lumber, salvaged what I could from the old frame, and used the pocket-hole jig on the second frame. I butt-jointed the frame joints BTW.

It worked great comparatively speaking. The only caveat is that you need to clamp it very well, otherwise your joints won't be square. I had the benefit of using some old miter clamps I picked up years ago, but you need to make sure that you clamp the top and the bottom faces as well.

NOTE: You'll also have to pick up some appropriately sized Kreg pocket-hole screws.

That said, I recently picked up the beadlock system and I think it may produce even better results. The joinery method seems more sound to me due to the mortise/tenon nature of the joint. As well it affords much more surface area for glue.

Otherwise, go to Hancock or JoAnn fabrics, pick up a roll of BO cloth and be on your merry way. Get that screen up and start watching movies the way they're intended to be watched.

BTW, I do recommend using Gorilla Glue. That stuff is awesome. Just heed the instructions, and don't use too much. IOW, read the directions!

PS:

To mount my screen, I used a french cleat. It's a very elegant solution. You just have to be sure to shim the the screen a bit if doesn't hang square. To make it I sawed a 3' section of 2" x 4" lengthwise on a 45 degree angle using my circle saw. I flush mounted the screws to make sure that there was no interferance with the cleat or the wall surface.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #15 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys sorry can we take the screen talk (esp since it's limited to the HD1000u) to the screen setion? There are several HD70 vs HD1000u threads and this is probably the most useful one, but let's keep it on topic.
post #16 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

One more thing back to the OP - any thoughts on sharpness? Some have said the plastic lens of the HD70 makes it less sharp on HD material than the glass lens Mits, did you look for that at all?
post #17 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The sharpness in the hd1000u is definetely a significan improvement over the HD70s.

I am not very adept at the vernacular most videophiles use, however, I can assure one thing:

The Mitsubishi is a significan upgrade from the Optoma in virtuall all aspects. This is going to be the one to beat.
post #18 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 AM

thread useful like this should be bumped 。。
post #19 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i honestly thought there would be more interest in this thread. oh well shrug.
post #20 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I think your evaluation was very helpful. But it is so "to the point" that there is not much to debate. Nice job!

I do wish you had calibrated with AVIA as well as THX though because the HD70 color is so poorly calibrated out of the box.

Do you see a noticeable difference black level with Brilliant color off on the HD1000? Supposedly this shuts down the white segment.
post #21 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 03:12 PM

I can tell you the HD1000 looks everybit as good as the Optoma HD72 as I just returned the HD72 because of how good of a price I got on the HD1000.I know for sure the HD72 is better than the HD70.
post #22 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may be slow because a lot of people have already made their decision and pulled the trigger, and therefore aren't really concerned with comparisons between the two any more... it's still helpful to have the opinions though!

Don't taze me, bro!!
post #23 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:

It could be that the HD1000U just trounces the HD70. I don't think I've seen a review yet that the HD70 comes out on top, the best is does is break even. At the current pricing, I believe the HD1000U is also a little cheaper as it can be easily had for less than MSRP.

The only thing the HD70 has going for it is the 2 year warranty and easier availablity. You can pick up an HD70 at serveral brick and morter places around Houston, but the Mits is rare. It may be that there just aren't that many people who own the Mits comparted to the Optoma.

BTW, I went with the HD1000U off the web. The HD70 was also on my short list.

-Mike
post #24 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll be interested in your review with Bravo D1 at 1280X720X48Hz with your new HD1000u via DVI. I have HD1000u and has Bravo D1 but can't use my PJ till Xmas

Huey ;-]
post #25 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 07:33 PM

i also has interest in thuway experiment result of DIY screen .Then came back with thread like this "Most value combination ,hd1000,and DIY SCREEN"。。
post #26 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

Wilson Art Designer Laminate Designer White is available nationwide for a 5x8 sheet for around $80-90 including shipping from Home Depot.

See the laminate thread under DIY Screen section.

Parkland Plastic comes in 4x8 sheets enough for a 96 diagonal screen.

DIY FYI Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=646534

Laminate Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708240

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #27 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Anybody see a Mits HC3000 and the HC1000.

Thats the comparison point a lot of people aer pondering.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #28 of 95 Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The HC3000 has gotten excellent reviews, but it's also $500 more than the HD1000.
post #29 of 95 Old 12-16-2006, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Anybody see a Mits HC3000 and the HC1000.

Thats the comparison point a lot of people aer pondering.

To my eyes, the 3000 is noticeably superior (contrast, blacks, pic quality, color balance) to both the 70 and the 1000. The quality difference between the 70 and the 1000 is much less, in my opinion, than the difference between both of these projectors and the 3000.

Brian
post #30 of 95 Old 12-16-2006, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Maybe the lack of comments is b/c there's a much bigger thread here dealing with comparisons not on yellow walls in dorm rooms

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=1&pp=30

Best,

Brian
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page