The Acer PH530 - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some of you guys that have problems with an hdmi connected to a hi def reciever I dont think its the projector.I to was going to get an Acer but now tiger direct is out of stock so I am thinking about a HD70, but back to the hdmi I have my hi def reciever connected to an lcd and I couldnt use the hdmi either.I know this is just a Acer thread but I thought the info might be useful and remember I have it hooked up to my Olieva lcd through component because the hdmi wouldnt work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 View Post

Some of you guys that have problems with an hdmi connected to a hi def reciever I dont think its the projector.I to was going to get an Acer but now tiger direct is out of stock so I am thinking about a HD70, but back to the hdmi I have my hi def reciever connected to an lcd and I couldnt use the hdmi either.I know this is just a Acer thread but I thought the info might be useful and remember I have it hooked up to my Olieva lcd through component because the hdmi wouldnt work

Do you have to use the receiver? I skip mine and just use a powered HDMI switcher with remote.

// Front Projection Enthusiast //
BenQ W1070 - 103" EasyFlex Painted Screen
Onkyo TX-NR646 - JBL Northridge 5.1 - SVS PB-1000
Roku 3 - Amazon FireTv - Sony BDPS5500 - Kangaroo PC
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 View Post

I never had a problem with the HDMI through the HD receiver just the one DVD player..

Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an FYi TD has gone out of stock a few times over the last 2 months. Hopefully they will be back in stock again.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Hey guys, I just joined the site!!
Well I couldn't resist and had to order an Acer yesterday and it's shipped!
FYI: When I called customer service, they told me they will have 230 or so in inventory by Monday.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do you like that! I ordered Wednesday evening (from TD/Shop.com) and it is already out for Delivery according to UPS. I'll post some impressions and pics when I get it going tonight!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

I am Pretty sure the Projector and Screen are Level. I dont think turning it will fix the Problem as it is 2" smaller then the other side but looks level when looking at the Letterbox Blank spaces look level it is just the Picture within the Letterbox that is Off or Perhaps you are correct I Really dont know this is my First Projector

I'm not talking about the image being level, I'm talking about the projector's lens being centered in relation to the center of the screen. Keep in mind that the lens iteself is a few inches from the center of the projector, and thus, you must mount the actual entire unit a few inches from what appears to be centered to the screen in order from the lens to be centered properly. It's a common mistake. Now, your brain (or maybe someone else) is going to tell you to just use keystone to correct the issue and be done with it. That is NOT recommended. Avoid keystone at all costs, as it completely destroys your image. Just measure the distance from the center of the PJ to the lens and slide the unit over that same distance.

The reason your current image appears to seem fine with letterbox, is that your eyes are capable of compensating for a minor error, but when presented with the frame edge, it becomes quite clear. Either that, or your screen is actually mis-shapen. A tape measure will confirm either way. Good luck.

Quote:

The Cable Box is a DCH 3416.

What are the output settings? Did you get no picture with both HD and SD material?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 623
WELL, THANKS TO tattootearz, LOOKS LIKE WE WILL FINALLY GET AN OFFICIAL PROFESSIONAL REVIEW OF THE PH530.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=907583
Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 623
spyder696969, it's also possible that The_Nephilim1's problem may be a very crooked wall. If the wall is not "square" with the room, then it could cause the same problem. Granted that it would have to be one mighty crooked wall. More than likely, most of the problem lies in not having the pj lens not being centered with the center of the screen... just like you already stated.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM
jay

Liked: 11
WOW this projector's sales has really taken off the last month it seems like!!! I'm pretty sure 90% of the owners of this projector end up buying this projector because of this thread!! I think Acer now owes us a sub $1500 1080p projector!!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

spyder696969, it's also possible that The_Nephilim1's problem may be a very crooked wall. If the wall is not "square" with the room, then it could cause the same problem. Granted that it would have to be one mighty crooked wall. More than likely, most of the problem lies in not having the pj lens not being centered with the center of the screen... just like you already stated.

Most houses are not square or plumb. I've seen many where the top of the wall is off by almost an inch from the bottom.

==Cocophone==
Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well guys, I am patiently awaiting UPS' delivery of my new unit. I bought the Optoma HD70 into the office with me to ship out via FEDEX overnight to Optoma's service center in CA. However, I will not ship it out until I get my Acer...

Once I ship it out, I expect to have it back within 7 business days as per other user's feedback regarding the way Optoma expedites these repairs. I'm saying all this because as soon as I get the HD70 back and confirm that it is working as it should, I am going to ship the Acer off to ART for the review.

Anyone interested in helping with the shipping costs of both sending and receiving, should PM me for my paypal address. You can expect me to play fair with money collections as I only need enough to cover the overnight shipping of the unit to Art and cost to have him ship it back to me via overnight. I dont think this is too much to ask, considering I will be sacrificing my own unit for roughly 2.5 weeks while this review is conducted.

So again, please PM me for my paypal address to send a couple bucks to cover shipping. Damn, I feel like this is a Telethon... lol.

Smarty-pants, thanks for all the assistance on this my man.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In a real old house... you are lucky if one of your walls is half straight. I have seen several inches off like you have described in older homes... even newer houses can be off by more than what you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone View Post

Most houses are not square or plumb. I've seen many where the top of the wall is off by almost an inch from the bottom.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 AM

While not all houses are made into perfect squares, it has little to do with an image being smaller (as opposed to skewed) on one edge than the other, given the assumption that one is using a screen to project upon. The fact that this unit has such a large offset value will exponentially compound any small error in placement.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ladies & Gents.... The "Ace" has arrived!!

Here are a few HD70 vs PH530 'physical' few shots for the curious...

As you can see, these units share an eerie since of similarity.... they also share the same Mounting configuration, so putting the "Ace" up in my theater this evening should be a snap. BTW, packaging on this unit was top notch. Kudos to Tigerdirect & Acer on this. The unit was triple-boxed and enclosed in it's carry pouch with absorption foam as well.

More to come!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well my wife will probably say "I told you so", when she sees the pics. The HD70 is definitely nicer looking. Damn WAF.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

I'm not talking about the image being level, I'm talking about the projector's lens being centered in relation to the center of the screen. Keep in mind that the lens iteself is a few inches from the center of the projector, and thus, you must mount the actual entire unit a few inches from what appears to be centered to the screen in order from the lens to be centered properly. It's a common mistake. Now, your brain (or maybe someone else) is going to tell you to just use keystone to correct the issue and be done with it. That is NOT recommended. Avoid keystone at all costs, as it completely destroys your image. Just measure the distance from the center of the PJ to the lens and slide the unit over that same distance.

The reason your current image appears to seem fine with letterbox, is that your eyes are capable of compensating for a minor error, but when presented with the frame edge, it becomes quite clear. Either that, or your screen is actually mis-shapen. A tape measure will confirm either way. Good luck.

What are the output settings? Did you get no picture with both HD and SD material?

I see now I will get the Tape Measure and check, But I am Sure I measured the lens to the Center of the Screen. I dont think tha wall is that out of wac I built the Room myself and the House is Only 11 years Old!!

I just checked it appears the Center of the Lens and center of the Screen are out of alignment by 1" Wiil that make it go off like I see?? If so I just want to double check as it is going to be a Project to move it over!! I could also Move the Screen as well instead of the Projector as that would be easier??

THNX for the Help Spyder

I did get No Picture with HD or SD, is that a handshake issue?? The Output on the HD cable box?? It was set to HDMI Output

Other than these Small bugs I am Very Happy with the Projector thus Far!!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:

...the Center of the Lens and center of the Screen are out of alignment by 1" Wiil that make it go off like I see?? I could also Move the Screen as well instead of the Projector as that would be easier??

THNX for the Help Spyder

1" off-center will make your picture wonky. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with my first PJ, hence my suspicions. If moving the screen is easier, definitely go that route. No prob with the help, that's what AVS is for!

Quote:

I did get No Picture with HD or SD...

Make certain the output settings are 720p, if available.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well guys... It was a breeze to get this puppy mounted, powered-up and projecting 92".

Are you ready for a a serious shocker...

I havent done any major tinkering aside from checking out the menu and so forth, but I will certainly say this now.... SO FAR, I like this unit better than the HD70. *sigh*.... I dont wanna start shooting off too much and look like an idiot later, plus it's probably too soon for such a statement. But I have to be honest, on first impression, I like this unit better so far.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:03 PM
jay

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

I havent done any major tinkering aside from checking out the menu and so forth, but I will certainly say this now.... SO FAR, I like this unit better than the HD70. *sigh*.... I dont wanna start shooting off too much and look like an idiot later, plus it's probably too soon for such a statement. But I have to be honest, on first impression, I like this unit better so far.

Sounds good.. Now how many lamp hours you got on your Optoma HD70? And can you kind of go into detail if you can on why you like it better?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just came back from calibrating white & black level using GetGray's DVD. So far, so good. Image is even better now.

Jay, my HD70 has a brand new bulb in it with less than 10hrs of use on it. I am very happy with the HD70 and it has been the highlight of my home theater for the last year with no complaints. For some reason, the Acer does seem "brighter" than the HD70. I havent become familiar enough with the Acer unit to specify my preferences for it in a way that makes sense to you. But I can tell you that there is a certain type of feel that I got for the unit after such a short time that has already got me planning to put the HD70 in the secondary Theater upstairs when it comes back from being serviced.

So far, I've also noticed that the Acer has a sharper picture than the HD70. I think this has been said already but I just want to reiterate that.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

1" off-center will make your picture wonky. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with my first PJ, hence my suspicions. If moving the screen is easier, definitely go that route. No prob with the help, that's what AVS is for!

Make certain the output settings are 720p, if available.

I will get the Screen moved just seems to easy a Solution for the Problem but hey what do I know I'm just a Noob I would of never thought of the Projector Lens being off center of the Screen.

I did have the Setting on 720P I still did not get a Pic either SD or HD. What could be wrong?? THNX

Gerald

Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Do you have to use the receiver? I skip mine and just use a powered HDMI switcher

with remote.

Sorry I had to leave but I had to use the reciever because I subscribed to Direct tv and their HD content. We tried a few boxes and still couldnt get it to work but I havent used the hdmi slot with any other device but I am going to buy the hd a2 and hook it up and see what happens
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

Well guys... It was a breeze to get this puppy mounted, powered-up and projecting 92".

Are you ready for a a serious shocker...

That's interesting because I had read some speculation that the Acer might be a "clone" of the HD70, internally. When you mentioned the "eerie similarities" between the two from an initial glance, I thought that might actually be the case. Sounds like something is definitely different somewhere, hardware-wise. Could it be the lamp specs? you perceived it as being brighter....

And yes, the packaging does seem to be designed to stop bullets.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:40 PM

Well I think I got one of the last ones from TD because I have a tracking number and it will be here on 09/19/07.
I have benq pb6100 and will compare and report back.
Sure from what I read I will be happy.

* Also I found best picture with PB6100 is component to vga adapter.
We will see if hdmi or Component to vga is best for Cox DH dvr service on PH530.

I love new stuff and starting to get excited!
lol
Old 09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanChan View Post

That's interesting because I had read some speculation that the Acer might be a "clone" of the HD70, internally. When you mentioned the "eerie similarities" between the two from an initial glance, I thought that might actually be the case. Sounds like something is definitely different somewhere, hardware-wise. Could it be the lamp specs? you perceived it as being brighter....

And yes, the packaging does seem to be designed to stop bullets.

After toying with the "Ace" for a few hours, I can confirm that it is NOT a clone of the HD70.

- There is NO "H or V Positioning" options on any input except VGA, and so far, I havent had much luck on the accuracy of the colors. Each RGB channel is set to 100 by default... I cant wait for Art to take a stab at this unit because I suck at working with Color decoders. So far though, in terms of color accuracy out of the box, the HD70 is a hands down winner.

P.S. I've also noticed some mild Video tearing at 72hz, which was non existent on the HD70.... although it is mild, I still feel it is note worthy.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproket View Post

Well I think I got one of the last ones from TD because I have a tracking number and it will be here on 09/19/07.
I have benq pb6100 and will compare and report back.
Sure from what I read I will be happy.

I got you beat by one day... Mine is scheduled for UPS delivery on the 20th. Sometimes it sucks to be on the left coast. I'll be comparing my Acer to my old faithful X1. It shouldn't be hard to improve on it's image quality.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is my first PJ and I'm blown away by the picture on my dirty white wall. I don't want to go back to TV ever again =)

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 III and couldn't get it to work with the Acer via the supplied HDMI cable. The Acer recognizes that there is a signal, but nothing shows up.

Component works fine. Any one have success with this combo?

Is it worth trying HDMI to VGA or do you think Component will look fine?

Switched back and forth between 1080i and 720p for the Motorola and am not sure which I prefer. I think 1080i has less snowy' look. There isn't an 'Auto' on this box.

Are you guys using the default settings and just changing the modes between bright and theater depending on ambient light?

What is the default saturation on this and what is saturation for? I was playing around with it and didn't realize that it changed it for all modes.

If anyone has calibrated with Avia or DVE, please post your settings.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM

I missed out as TD was sold out last night and ordered at Amazon. Guess what??!! Today it's like $80 more. Anyway I got the "It's shipped" email and expect it anytime between the 20th-24th. Hope it comes sooner. I'm also taking the advice of my earlier in the week and looking at the Draper screen. I'm looking for something < $100. Can't wait to fire up the Ace. About 2 weeks ago I was set on the HD70.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well guys... I have good news & bad news.

The Good:

I managed to fix the issue with my HD70 on my own, which means that I probably wont be sending it to Optoma for repairs. This means I can immediately ship out the Acer to Art by mid next week. As a result, we will get our review of the Acer unit much sooner than expected.

The Bad:

After re-attaching my HD70, I have to be honest and say that the color reproduction of the HD70 is much better. Hopefully, Art will be able to calibrate the Ace to look alot more natural. It's almost too sharp on many tests I've ran.

At this point however, to my semi-trained eye, the HD70 is a better projector for video color reproduction. The Ace can probably be calibrated to display just as well but we'll have to wait on a more experienced calibrator for that.

I can tell you, if comparing the HD70 to the Ace "out of the box" with only Color, Tint, White & Black adjusted... the HD70 is the clear winner. Beats the Ace on black level also.

P.S. I apologize for my posts, as they may seem to be random but I am giving it to you as I experience it. Plus, so far I may be the only guy here with both the HD70 and Ace in his immediate possession and at this price point, these 2 units are head to head. Anyone who is considering buying the Ace, is more than likely a candidate for the HD70 and vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement