Image flicker on X1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had my X1 for around 3 years now, but only have about 700 hours on it. Was playing some Xbox last night and after about 2 or 3 hours of play I started noticing the image flickering. It would suddenly dim a bit, then pop back up to normal brightness. It was very slight...the best way I can explain is when your signal cable is a bit loose and the image flickers very slightly if the cable is moved.

360 is connected to the VGA port via the component-vga adapter, X1 is ceiling mounted and never moved. The only thing I've done lately is take out the bulb to clean the screens (did that on Monday), but it played fine for a few hours before I noticed it flicker.

The problem seemed to go away after a while....it probably did that for an hour or so, then seemed to fix itself.

Anything I can do, or is it just "one of those things"?

Gamertag: crud monkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 AM

Liked: 90
I had an X1 for 3.5 years and it is "just one of those things". Always went away with me.

You can do a search here at AVS and find out more about it. (You might need to look in archives.)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

Had my X1 for around 3 years now, but only have about 700 hours on it. Was playing some Xbox last night and after about 2 or 3 hours of play I started noticing the image flickering. It would suddenly dim a bit, then pop back up to normal brightness. It was very slight...the best way I can explain is when your signal cable is a bit loose and the image flickers very slightly if the cable is moved.

360 is connected to the VGA port via the component-vga adapter, X1 is ceiling mounted and never moved. The only thing I've done lately is take out the bulb to clean the screens (did that on Monday), but it played fine for a few hours before I noticed it flicker.

The problem seemed to go away after a while....it probably did that for an hour or so, then seemed to fix itself.

Anything I can do, or is it just "one of those things"?

I had this happening too - it always went away...
post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos View Post

I had this happening too - it always went away...

I believe its a colorwheel motor sync issue...mine still does it and its only getting worse in my buddys basement....I first noticed it right before mylast bulb exploded... the bulb thats in it now only has 300hrs on it and it does it constantly....Do you get the buzzsaw noise once in a while as well That would indicate the motor is on its way out.. I do believe its the same motor as many cdroms use or floppy drives so it shouldn't be too expensive to have the local repair show fix..
post #5 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^

Never had the buzzsaw issue...heard plenty about it, but it's always made the same noises. This is the only thing *different* I've ever had it do.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #6 of 8 Old 12-27-2006, 04:19 PM

my Infocus 4800 lamp flickered sometimes. After a few minutes it would stop. I believe this is consider normal and the casue is the arc in the lamp is moving.

From technut x-1 faq....

"Small changes in brightness that occur periodically over many minutes are normal for most arc-lamp projectors. The brightness change indicates a repositioning of the arc and does not correspond to any serious problem with the projector. However, if the lamp is changing brightness quickly or pulsing, then you should get it replaced under warranty."

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - Neal Peart, Rush
post #7 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I, too, have suffered with the flickering on my X1. I don't get much free time so my 2 year old X1 only has 330 hours on it. It began to pulsate around 250 hours and it does it nonstop now. I've tried everything to fix it. I put it upside down for 20 hours and let it run all day - still flickers. I put a speaker on top of it so the magnet could help reburn the arc for around 30 hours - still flickers. I really want to sell it and get a new projector but I don't want the next guy to have the same problem. Can you guys recommend anything? I've read about shaking the bulb for 5-7 seconds but I'm not so sure I want to try that!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM

Same thing happened to mine; only happened once and has not come back. ::knock on wood::

Just curious: I have my 360 hooked up similar, what kind of resolution are you getting? The games I play say that they are in 1080i, but whenever it says "Setting up image" it then flashes 480p right before it disappears. I guessed since the techology is a few years old, it isnt fully 'up to par.' Same with you?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page