Joined the party. WOW! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK.
I bought a used DV10 with what appears to be a cheapish Panoview screen for $500.
The original owner did not get the Black Friday deal, as he paid $995+ $150 for the screen at a brick and mortar 6 months ago. The bulb had 45 hours on it.

The wife OK'd this after we bought a 42in Panny Plasma 3 weeks ago!

My impressions are as follows.

I will never watch a DVD on the plasma again. The plasma is now for TV and HDTV wile the projector is for movies and video games (Wii).
I'm sure this isn't the best projector around but it definately gives the home theatre experience. I'm getting about 80" with the projector at 8' from the screen, seating at 14' from the screen. Any larger and the picture is too soft for me.
My wife and kids love it. Nintendo Wii bowling is awesome. I feel like telling everyone in my extended family to go out and buy one of these!

Daytime viewing is not the best as I have some ambient light. Will a grey screen help all that much? Will a higher res projector do better at larger sizes even with DVD resolution?

I could easily imagine going HD in a few years when the prices come down.
I had no idea this would be so sweet or I would have joined the party earlier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

try a Dalite HiPower screen.

I use 120" one with my OptomaH31 (same DLP chip as the one have - so same picture quality)

hiPower really helps with contrast!!
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd or plasma? View Post

Daytime viewing is not the best as I have some ambient light. Will a grey screen help all that much? Will a higher res projector do better at larger sizes even with DVD resolution?

If you're sitting closer than 2x the width then yes. The distance from the screen matters more than the size. The DV10 is 854x480p like my 4805 so it's recommended that you sit 2x the width of the screen (however big that is). With that said I've never heard anyone say dvds looked too soft past 80" (I'm assuming you meant diagonal, but I may be wrong). 80" pretty small on this forum (if you're referring to diagonal size and not width). I recently started running my 4805 at 10.5' x 5.9' with DVDs and I am stunned at the sharpness when using them with FFDShow Unsharpen mask filter. It looks very sharp even with a slight defocus trick (when done correctly) to get rid of screen door effect.

A grey screen will help a little with ambient light performance, but blocking as much hard direct light as possible will help more. A projector cannot compete with hard direct sunlight.

BTW, what video connections are you using?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you are like me this will be your first of many projectors.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using the built in DVD so no connections at all. The Wii is connected via the component connection adapter. I'd be really interested in getting more than 80", though I kind of feel spoiled as it is, and a bit guilty for wanting 92"-100". Unfortunately the one thing I did not get from the previous owner was the manual. I can't find it online anywhere. I can't figure out how to change the image size without physically moving the unit forward or backward.

I don't know what "FFDShow Unsharpen mask filter" is, though I assume you are running a computer with some type of DVD player plug in. I use Macs so.......

I'm certainly willing to do more light control as the only thing I've done up until now is place the screen over the largest window, blocking 95% of it.

Honestly I'm stunned at the size and detail coming off of a regular resolution DVD. HD must be astounding.

"With that said I've never heard anyone say dvds looked too soft past 80"
I find this hard to accept. Either this isn't quite accurate or my unit has an issue with focus.

Update-
We've mostly watched computer generated kids movies like the Pixar stuff. This content really shines. Live action doesn't have quite the sharpness and detail, but it is still better than I thought possible with the DVD format.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a link to the manual: http://www.optomausa.com/doc/DV10/DV-10_ebook_r4.pdf

To make the image larger or smaller there's a zoom lever next to the lens. You then turn the ring around the lens to focus the image, which will help sharpness at larger image sizes.

Live GT: Destructorbot PSN: BassTek
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I guess you Google better than I do.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page