Shallow projector mount recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The ceiling height in my almost completed theater is 6' 11". For this reason I have decided on the Infocus IN76 projector which has a small offset. For the width of my screen (96") the offset is about 8.4". In other words, the top of my screen needs to be at least 8.4" below the center of the lens. Whatever additional distance the mount moves the projector down needs to be added to the 8.4". I would like to find a mount, whether commercially available or homemade, that is shallow. Preferably I would like to find a mounting solution that only takes up about 2". This puts my screen 10.4" from the ceiling.

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I slightly modified the DIY mount found on this site (plexiglass and plumbers pipes) to make a pretty shallow mount.

The basic idea is simple:

-small piece of plexiglass with holes drilled in to match the mounting holes of your pj
-small screws with bolt to attach the plexiglass to the pj, the bolts rais and lower for some minor fine tunning adjustments
-a plumber floor flang attached to the plexiglass
-a plumber floor flang attached to ceiling joist (or heavy duty drywall anchors)
-a pipe nipple for the size (length) needed to go between the two floor flanges

The thing is, if with the smallest pipe nipple, I wanted shorter. So instead of metal pipe floor flange, I found the same size in plastic sprinkler pipe. I then cut to the shortest size I felt safe with. This means when screwed on the two floor flanges actually touch together.

This is a pretty low profile set up and still allows for some minor adjustments.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sdallnct,

What was the final height of your mount? This is distance from the ceiling to the projector
post #4 of 4 Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HendersonD View Post

Sdallnct,

What was the final height of your mount? This is distance from the ceiling to the projector

Right at 1.75 inches. And I could probably make it a touch closer, pertty close 1.5 inches. I need to decide on a new screen material, screen height, then will adjust the PJ mount as needed.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page