HDMI cords, is there a real difference????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to know from anyone who has tried to compare but walmart has a hdmi cord for $35 compared to monsters $120 one..... will there be a big difference in picture quality?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably none. Monster is a total rip off. Tyr www.monoprice.com. good quality and price
post #3 of 26 Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

but i just wanted to know why some are $15 to $20 but then the rest are $80 to $150 !!?!?!?!?!?!??!
post #4 of 26 Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

It did make a difference for me. I had been using a 125 dollar Infocus cable that was about 32 feet long, that would not work with my PS3 and projector. So I bought a 35ft Monoprice one for 50 bucks, that fired right up. Sold me on Monoprice.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

anybody know anything about the Atlona flat cables?? I'm interested in running a 50 footer in white in an outside-the-wall setup.... $179, HDMI 1.3 rated....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #6 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I still can't believe that Monster is getting away with charging such high prices. I guess the Big Box stores love them because of their advertising and the high profit margins they provide. I just noticed that C.C. charges $119 for a 6' HDMI cable from them. I like my Monoprice 6' cable better since it has ferrite cores at each end. It cost about $6. when you buy two.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 07:03 AM

Liked: 14
When buying a cable from Monster Cable, you are paying mostly for R&D.

Just like buying a drug from Merck & Co. or Johnson & Johnson, you are paying a premium. As compared to a generic company who has a very R&D department, its mostly a copy department. Merck & Co. invented it, but generic companies make it cheaper.

My DIY Rack
I took the RED pill.    ...and still haven't swallowed the BLUE pill.

post #8 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdoberman View Post

Just like buying a drug from Merck & Co. or Johnson & Johnson, you are paying a premium. As compared to a generic company who has a very R&D department, its mostly a copy department. Merck & Co. invented it, but generic companies make it cheaper.

So exactly which type of cable did Monster invent or improve upon?

The only thing Monster researches or develops are marketing trends analyses.

Viver e nao ter a vergonha de ser feliz
post #9 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I would also like specific examples of the R&D that Monster did. I do know that they had a deceptive display showing the difference in cables. Drug companies do spend Billions on R&D and that has to be taken into account that is why they alone can offer the drug for 17 years. I would like to know what patents Monster has on their HDMi cables. What cables do they only offer? What you are paying for at Monster is high profits for the company and the stores that sell their products. The fact is that you can easily find out if a digital cable works. Test it. The picture will be the same if it works. The cable is passing 0 & 1's. I will save my money and stick with the Monoprice cables. I hate to be ripped off by that Monster company.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of monoprice, which guage wire is good for a 25-35' HDMI cable run? Does it have to be gold plated or is silver plated good enough?
post #11 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
gr1

hoops10 - i have the same question? what cable is everyone buying from monoprice
post #12 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Me too, as I need to buy a cable. I was wondering about the connectors. I ran my other cables at 50ft each. However, I have some slack, but not sure if it is 15 feet or not.

Thomas
post #13 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdoberman View Post

You're not paying for any R&D, you're paying for marketing. Monster didn't invent or improve anything.

Also:

post #14 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
gr1

what kind of power supply would u recommend for hdtv projector/pc/xbox 360 if not going with monster power type solution?
post #15 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I would think for a projector, PC and xbox 360, a UPS would be a better solution than a power supply.

post #16 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 AM

I have both a 25 foot, 24 AWG HDMI cable (#2109,) and a 25 foot, 26 AWG HDMI cable (#2841) from Monoprice. Zero problems with either one. The previous poster was correct, it either passes the signal or it does not. If it does not you will get "sparklies" on the screen indicating dropouts. There is no "better picture" involved with buying a more expensive cable. The Zeros and Ones either arrive or not. Note that Monopprice has a 21 day guarantee with no restocking fee if you are not happy. I've placed six orders from them for a varietly of interconnects and speaker wire and have had no reason to regret it. First class service and the best price anywhere.

I will say that Monster makes very fine surge protectors, and is not afraid to back them up with a hefty equipment replacement policy. I've seen other posts in these forums that indicate they will pay off without a hassle if your stuff gets fried. And they are often available on a certain auction site for a mere 10-20% of full retail :-)

Personally, my plamsa is protected with a Belkin 1100 VA AVR UPS, which covers any possible problems. Twenty years of working around electronics makes me believe that it isn't just surges, but also sags that kill equipment.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Some time ago, I worked at a computer retailer. We sold Printer cables for $19.99 - which was cheap for it's time - our cost on these cables was under $3.

The same thing exists today if you buy a printer - you need a USB cable, which the stores try and sell you for $20-30, and cost is probably even lower now, as there is less wire.

HDMI cables aren't much different. It's a way for the store to add an extra $100 of profit to each Low profit TV sale.

Go with the cheapest that works.

-Jack
post #18 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice also sells a product that can help prevent HDMI issues for some. Their "Port Saver" is a short 8 inch extension that helps to put less stress from the heavy cables on the internal ports. It is a really inexpensive tweak and it helps to prevent the heavy cables from damaging the ports. It works great when you need long heavy 22g cables with ferrite cores. I always keep a few extra cables around so I don't get stuck going to the Big Box stores and getting ripped off. Monoprice has been great since their price and shipping goes down when you buy a few of each item.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Monoprice also sells a product that can help prevent HDMI issues for some. Their "Port Saver" is a short 8 inch extension that helps to put less stress from the heavy cables on the internal ports. It is a really inexpensive tweak and it helps to prevent the heavy cables from damaging the ports. It works great when you need long heavy 22g cables with ferrite cores. I always keep a few extra cables around so I don't get stuck going to the Big Box stores and getting ripped off. Monoprice has been great since their price and shipping goes down when you buy a few of each item.

I apologize for the dumb question, but how would a long heavy cable damage a hdmi port?
post #20 of 26 Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake9b View Post

I apologize for the dumb question, but how would a long heavy cable damage a hdmi port?

Go to www.monoprice.com and search on port saver and click on more information. There is a good explanation of the benefits of such.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 AM

"more information" takes me directly to 2 customer reviews where one states "Highly recommended by me, but I have no experience other than my recent experiences with getting my HD setup here at the house."

I was hoping for a more professional explanation.

I presume it's just easier to twist the smaller cord into the ports?
post #22 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 07:52 AM

I have found no diffrence between 6" of HDMI Radio Shack Monster cable and 40" of a budget brand that was twice as much as the 6".

People also get crazy on surge protectors and UPS. I did have a UPS on my reciever only to save programmable settings during short power outages which were a PITA to program. Now I use it for my projector, just in case the power goes out before I can complete a lamp cool down.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The heavy cables often put stress on the internal connectors causing the cables to come loose. It is cheper to add the "Port Saver" than to have the heavy cables ruin your internal HDMi ports.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Liked: 14
Well, you may think that Monster Cable doesn't have a R&D department...or should I say use it. They do...and people who buy Monster Cable products are supporting it.

They have 123 patents on file since their first one in 1983. And since they are a private company, there are no public financial records available to review.

I said, you are paying for R&D, this does include: marketing reseach.

Whatever, it looks like we are all on the same page. Moster Cables are WAY over priced and not any better then cables from the Alliance Members on this website...Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice Cables.

Personally, I hate Monster Cables and have never and will never buy a cable from them.

I have no idea how accerate this link is, but it is a pretty funny read.

http://www.monstergreed.com/Index%20...about%20MC.htm

I will continue to buy from Blue Jeans Cable, because they are knowledgeable, nice, easy to work with, and I get what I pay for. A custom cable length that works well. Plain and simple.

My DIY Rack
I took the RED pill.    ...and still haven't swallowed the BLUE pill.

post #25 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for your reply, Doberman.

I work for a pharma company (neither of the ones you mentioned), and I know what real R&D looks like. I guess I am sensitive to the subject because I believe a lot of the cost of R&D gets ignored when slamming pharma sales. (I would agree that the prices are still sometimes quite high, but in fairness, most people don't understand or acknowledge the cost of R&D, particularly in a regulated industry.)

I wouldn't put Monster anywhere near that description with their "R&D". I don't think they have ever improved or invented anything worth mentioning, and their patents are all marketing ploys to give the impression that they're actually doing something unique.

Viver e nao ter a vergonha de ser feliz
post #26 of 26 Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake9b View Post

"more information" takes me directly to 2 customer reviews where one states "Highly recommended by me, but I have no experience other than my recent experiences with getting my HD setup here at the house."

I was hoping for a more professional explanation.

I presume it's just easier to twist the smaller cord into the ports?

It is very simple. Smaller gauge wire from the back of your hdmi equipped projector/receiver etc is easier to route and puts much less pressure on hdmi ports which are fairly fragile compared to vga and component.

Hope this helps.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page