Just Purchased HD1000U - Screen and Mount Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased a HD1000U this morning. After two years of waiting, I'm extremely excited to hook this up for some HDTV/HTPC/DVD/PS3/Wii action.

Next things on the list:

Screen
I have heard that the GWII is a poor choice in combination with a ceiling mounted HD1000U - any merit to this? How would the powered Monoprice screen perform? While I'm deciding what could be a cheap alternative to use to test the projector?
Monoprice Screen

The projector placement in my apartment is up in the air at the moment. I'm still looking for some advice/recommendations. Currently, I'm planning on blasting the image over the fireplace and wall mounting the projector.

Wall Mount

Any recommendations for a wall mount? I am considering this Mount Direct mount along with a DIY MonkeyMan Mod
Mount Direct Wall Mount

Cables - please find pdf below
I have component coming out of the Wii and the dvd player (eventual upgrade to upconverting)
HDMI out of the PS3
DVI out of the Cablebox and HTPC
I'm thinking some DVI>HDMI cables for the Cablebox and HTPC and feed it along with the PS3 to a HDMI switch (Monoprice)
Link
I have a 30 CRT HDTV for SD TV viewing that I would like to split some signals too - this is not an immediate concern.

Cable Looms or Covers? For cable run to projector
Cable Cover1
Cable Cover2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey I'm no expert on screens, but that monoprice seems like a great deal. $150ish w/ remote. Is that the size you wanted? I've gone for a gray screen with my HD1000u (well, already had it, bought the brighter than normal mits with that screen in mind) but 1.0 gain shouldn't disappont. How's the light control in your room?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Light control is moderate in the room; however I will be using the projector when it's completely dark 90% of the time so it's not a big issue.

Edit: here's the floorplan
post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Attachment's not showing up for me, could be my flaky ISP (bloody asian earthquake) or.. it didn't work. I'm not much of an installation guru anyway.

I will offer my one piece of stock advice: before you spend $200 on an upconverting DVD player think long and hard about a $300-400 HD-DVD player that's also a stellar upconverter. I know a lot of people are inclined to sit back and wait the war out, but I think they'll co-exist for some time (like DVD+/-R) and yeah, there is no better signal to feed your new HT projector. BRD on your PS3 will be great too, I'm sure, but I killing 2 birds with 1 stone (more titles on HD-DVD than BRD right now, Universal has a lot of blockbusters + the upconversion) is a strong proposition.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Anyone have any experience with that screen? Thats a phenomenal price for a 108 inch electric screen :O

Also, thats not much more than wilsonart DW laminate... any idea how the image quality would compare?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice - Since purchasing a Projector, PS3 and Wii in the last 30 days I'm going to hold off for a while on the HD-DVD Player. It's definitely something I'll consider within the next year or so.

I've added a jpeg of my floor plan again. I'm undecided on the projector placement but plan on shooting a image over the fireplace.

I attached a photo showing the wiring of the theatre using a HDMI switch. I was trying to avoid spending another $120 on a switch but at the moment can't imagine any other methods for connecting all of the sources. Is everyone else's setup this complicated? This is becoming more costly than I planned because of the wiring.

With all game consoles etc sitting in front of the TV I now need to build a Entertainment rack. Recommendations?

No further advice on the mount or screen?
LL

Theatre.pdf 9.3349609375k . file
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a couple more thoughts before bed, Blake.

I understanding the big expentiture all in 1 go. Not a big console gamer I'd say sell that PS3 and you're set to buy HD-DVD + a library but that's no helpful advice. There is lots of talk about a price drop or similar bargain-minded announcement from the HD-DVD camp at CES shortly, wait a month or two then dive in!

As for the screen, I don't have much to contribute that's actually concrete. You know there is a designated 'screens' sub-forum, right? I'm sure there are HD1000u threads there, and probably one on the monoprice unit since they're so popular with AVSers.

It's another expense, but chew on this idea. Rather than spending $120 on a HDMI switch, think about $300 on a HDMI receiver (you call yours 'old' as it is). I don't know what audio the PS3 can pass from next gen discs, but HDMI audio decoding is a must-have feature on my next receiver to get the lossless PCM bit streams, so if that's something on your upgrade list you could kill two birds with one stone.

I'm inching towards re-doing my entire HT gear. Bought HD1000u, HD-A2 HD-DVD player and 28 movies in the last month, now I'm eyeing new speakers and receiver shopping. Then a new sub, then a new house that's more theater-friendly, good thing my wife likes movies too
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

*Bump*

I'm pretty set on the Monoprice screen. Has anyone had any experience with it's performance relative to this projector?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page