The Mitsubishi HD1000U and my ceiling...(with pictures!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My viewing room is slightly unique. I have very high vaulted ceilings and this H-type structure between my dining area and the TV room. Currently my projector is table mounted, but our 7 month old is becoming mobile and I will be getting the HD1000U in a few weeks and want to ceiling mount it. The first thing I thought of was simply hanging it from the bar on the H by constructing a "box" around the bar. I don't trust just putting it into the board of the H itself as it seems very thin. That would be like so:

This was all fine and good until I researched the offset for the projector, which would place the image less than 2 feet off the ground, which would unfortunately clip into my entertainment center that contains all my HT components. So I thought about it and thought that (please someone tell me if I am wrong here) that if I mounted it upside down, ie on top of the H-bar, and used the Mirrored inverse (since the projector would be right-side up but needing to project down instead of up, that it might work better because it would throw the image about where I needed it to. That would be like this:

Finally, I thought that if I were going to put it on top of the H, I might as well just put a platform in on the top and "build up" and hang the projector from a piece of board that would be like a ceiling, that way I didn't have to mess with any weird inversing or whatever. I also figure that if I do it this way, I can get it near exactly where I want it heigh-wise on the wall. That would look like this:

Please let me know what you think my best option is. I am really sold on this projector and can't wait to get it, I just want to get everything ready for it so I can just set it up when it gets here.

Also, what is a good hardware-type item to use that will pin cable to a wall? I can't exactly run thru the wall with the way the H is set up, so I am going to run behind, up and over. Any suggestions on things to use to do this would be great too.

I really appreciate all of your guys help and input on this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice CAD drawing. I like the first option as it's the most natural and least odd looking (also easiest to construct IMHO). If offset is an issue then the 2nd method is best.

Huey ;-]
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post

Nice CAD drawing. I like the first option as it's the most natural and least odd looking (also easiest to construct IMHO). If offset is an issue then the 2nd method is best.

second wont work because he nedds to flipp the projector upside down or the offset will send the image on the ceiling. You can flip the image but not the offset.

your last option although you can probably get more creative is the best.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops, yeah, forgot about mounting holes being on bottom of PJ

Huey ;-]
post #5 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Something that might look cool - if you are handy - would be to use a curved piece of wood like an arc that was on top of the cross beam. The pj could be mounted hanging from the top of the arc.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRob View Post

Something that might look cool - if you are handy - would be to use a curved piece of wood like an arc that was on top of the cross beam. The pj could be mounted hanging from the top of the arc.

Me and handy don't exactly go hand in hand.

I am leaning towards the last option, though if anyone has any suggestions, I'll take those too
post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

After thinking about it some more I think I am going to go with option 3. Anyone have any advice about my cabling question in the first post?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Maybe I missed something but can't you use a standard mount with an extension pole to hang the projector from the ceiling above the "H"? I know you said you had vaulted ceilings but don't they make mounts for that?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 PM

Awesome pictures, definitely worth 1k words... I would have to vote for the 3rd setup. I like what KillRob suggested.... even if you didn't want to take on that task with wood, you could do it with some sort of piece bent metal... Kinda like this:
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page