Hitachi PJTX100 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 778 Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's interesting. So the scaler in the dvd player is better than the scaler in the projector? I output the dvd player at 720 via dvi cable and the picture looks better than 480p through component.
Is this another example of the older technology in the Hitachi? The scalers have no doubt improved since this projector was state of the art.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 778 Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bse53 View Post

That's interesting. So the scaler in the dvd player is better than the scaler in the projector? I output the dvd player at 720 via dvi cable and the picture looks better than 480p through component.
Is this another example of the older technology in the Hitachi? The scalers have no doubt improved since this projector was state of the art.

The scaler in the dvd player has the advantage of starting with a digital signal. It scales and then it sends it to the pj at its native resolution in a digital format.

WHen you use componet the dvd player deinterlaces then converts the signal into analog to send over component. The PJ then receives it converts the analog into digital then at that point gets to scale the image.

Do to all the digital to analog conversions the PJ starts with a much lower quality image to begin with so it is at a disadvantage.

Not saying the PJ is better but not a fare comparison.

You could try sending it 480p or 480i over DVI and see if it looks better.

The PJ may have a better deinterlacer and scaler or may not.

Let us know if you try this it would be interesting which way is better.
post #183 of 778 Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Hmmm..I may have sat on the fence for too long. PP doesn't have it listed anymore. I was just about ready to bite the bullet on this for a cheapo holdover.

Doh!

--Elliott--
(gamertag: hoofdpijn)

"Weck up to thees!"
post #184 of 778 Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 PM

B&H photo has it.
post #185 of 778 Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 PM

PM me for the vendor I got from. Lowest price I could find on the net.
post #186 of 778 Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 PM

I painted a Black Flame screen tonight (see screen forums) , and I am really starting to be impressed at what this projector can do

If any of you are considering painting a screen, you should look into it! Seems to have some gain, the blacks are blacker, the whites are about the same or a little less white, but brighter, and all of the colors for once just seem to be spot on. For the first time with a digital projector it reminded me of watching a CRT TV set. Unreal.
post #187 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bse53 View Post

Hitachi 51" CRT RPTV.
I'll upload some pictures when I get a chance.
Got to put another movie on.
Brian

Thanks Brian for posting your experiences with your new proj.
I have been watching my 57" Sony HD digital CRT RPTV, ISF calibrated, for about 7 years now and YOU, and others here, can probably answer the one question that I have had for years. How does the sharpness of the pictures compare?? I felt that a 92" screen would give a much softer picture. How do the two compare in the area of focus and sharpness??

Pan-n-scan vs. OAR? Excellent, easy to understand example:

www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
post #188 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott25 View Post

Hmmm..I may have sat on the fence for too long. PP doesn't have it listed anymore. I was just about ready to bite the bullet on this for a cheapo holdover.

Doh!

Try calling them - ask for Rich Morgan.

Watched 2 movies last night - haven't done that in a LONG time.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend on SD-DVD - silly but fun. Gorgeous picture.
King Kong HD-DVD - just amazing. And the sound out of my A1's 5.1 outputs - wow.

I'm still amazed at how much better the picture is than on my X1, and for the few hundred dollars it cost to upgrade.
post #189 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post

As for optics, I don't think it matters. The Optoma HD70 has a plastic lens with huge offset, the Mitsubishi has a glass lens with sizeable offset. The TX100 has an outstanding lens and zero offset.

You should be more accurate with your potentially disparaging remarks.

The Optoma has less offset than the Mitsubishi. Offset in DLPs are because of the way the DLP light engine is designed.

Also, the plastic you are casually throwing out there like it is a disadvantage is better than the plastic people pay good money for at the eyeglass shop or doctor's office. Please cite one study showing the documented quality of the optics of any of the low cost 720p PJs.

Love your PJ like all PJ owners do, but keep your remarks to what you know.
post #190 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 09:29 AM

A couple of things I've noticed.
Watched The Fifth Element last night and it may be the quality of the DVD, but the images were fantastic!
I switched from 480p to 720p on my cheap RCA player and couldn't really identify a difference. The pictures I've included were taken with the movie in a Magnavox player through component. So the scaler in the Hitachi must be good.
I wonder how much difference a quality up-converting player such as the Oppo 970 would make?
The 92" image is sharp. The only difference between this and my 51" RPTV is SIZE!
I'm more impressed with the red filter tweak. The colors are saturated and the blacks looks like black. I'm using a 4" gel. Right now static keeps the filter on the lens ring.
The Magnavox is a recorder, so I hooked up the analog cable and it looks surprisingly good, considering the source.
LL
LL
LL
post #191 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 09:33 AM

Some more pictures
LL
LL
LL
post #192 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Did you have any trouble tweaking after using the red filter? And, did you need to go into the service menu?
post #193 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 AM

no, all the settings are in the main menu.
In fact i just used the values in the review of the projector here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...04-part-1.html
(whoops, don't know how to turn that into a link)
I've slightly adjusted the brightness and contrast a couple of notches, and I adjust the iris based on the light, but I haven't adjusted the gamma.

OK, here's a couple more pictures.
LL
LL
post #194 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 09:57 AM

Great pictures! Thanks for the link, I have read that before, but did not realize they showed shots of the tweaking used to get the 6500k calibration with the filter
post #195 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM

I don't have any calibration equipment other than DVE. I put that in last night to check the gray scale, and it appears to be ok.
Without equipment though, basically it's just adjusting the picture until it looks 'right'.
The values in the review look just fine to me.
post #196 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should be more accurate with your potentially disparaging remarks.

The Optoma has less offset than the Mitsubishi. Offset in DLPs are because of the way the DLP light engine is designed.

Also, the plastic you are casually throwing out there like it is a disadvantage is better than the plastic people pay good money for at the eyeglass shop or doctor's office. Please cite one study showing the documented quality of the optics of any of the low cost 720p PJs.

Love your PJ like all PJ owners do, but keep your remarks to what you know.

You should read the post before YOU make potentially disparaging remarks. I did NOT say that the plastic lens was bad, I didn't even imply it, I simply stated a fact. I did NOT say that the Mitsubishi has less offset than the Optoma, again, another false inference on your part...I stated another fact in that they both have substantial amounts of offset. And as for the optics, again I made no comment one way or another, other than to say that the Lens in the Hitachi is very nice...which is yet again, a fact. Before you belittle people, you should actually take the time to read their posts...If I was berating your beloved DLP's you'd know it. As for loving my projector, My DT-500 and I get along very nicely, thank you!
post #197 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Where does on get this red lens?
post #198 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Any large photography store should have them available. I got mine at B&H photo for $20. This is not a glass filter-- which would be cost prohibitive given the size of the Hitachi lens. A 4"x4" filter just fits over the outside of the lens ring. I plan to cut it so that is just friction fits inside the lens ring.
Normally these filters are designed to fit in a holder that attaches to a lens ring, but I doubt they would have the lens ring for this large of lens.
One caveat-- I don't know whether these will fade over time. They are designed to be used in photography, not to have concentrated light projected through them.
I know that in the theater, gels that are used in lighting will fade over time, although these are different material and the amount of light isn't nearly as 'hot'.
I'm certainly pleased with the results.
As the reviewer shows, the extra blue at the lower IRE produces blacks that have a blue cast to them. This technique lowers the blue level and raises the red level and produces blacks that are closer to black and raises the contrast at the same time.
When I get the filter mounted I'll post a picture. Right now the static in the plastic is holding it in place when the projector is running.
post #199 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice pictures bse...looks fantastic!!
post #200 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 02:28 PM

I got mine yesterday and hooked it up last night.

My screen did not come yet, so I am projecting on a white bedsheet since my wall is a slanted one.

Out of the box, the image is fantastic, even on a sheet (pretty low thread count too I admit)

I tweaked around a little bit but not too much.

I watched a little bit of Fifth Element, all of Sin City, all the The Warriors, and selected scenes from Chicago and Bad Boys 2 (which were my favorite reference disks with my old RPTV)

Wow, I was just blown away by this thing. Whatever is the opposite of buyers remorse is what I have right now.

The Warriors looked great for a 30 year old film. Colors where nice and the black levels where really impressive. Almost the whole movie is set at night, and the projector handled it well.

Bad Boys 2 looked fantastic, from the KKK rally scene at night near the beginning, to the bright car chase scenes, everything just looked so good for such a large image.

SDE was complete unnoticeable from 9' away.

I am using an OPPO 971 thru DVI.

I will post screen shots when I get my real screen and do some tweaking.

I'm on cloud 9 right now.
post #201 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Congratulations, Lecterman.
I know how you feel.
After watching The Fifth Element last night, I turned the 51" RPTV on and my reaction was, "Wow, what a puny screen."
In my situation, 92" was the biggest I could squeeze in.
Brian
post #202 of 778 Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 PM

I'm happy as a clam with this projector. Just started using it with a Toshiba HD XA1. Fantastic combination (whenever the HDMI/DVI connection works!). No problems with component (480P), but I really prefer the 1080i picture. Have not done any calibration/tweaking on the projector itself. That gel filter thingy sounds like a worthwhile tweak. The blue tint is really noticeable. I'm hoping the next Toshiba firmware (coming soon) fixes the HDMI/DVI issue, otherwise, I'm sending the XA1 for repair. The Hitachi PJ is a great deal, IMO.
post #203 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM

Received mine on Friday. I have a crappy old Toshiba non-progressive DVD player and I see SDE very easily on a screen which is about 90" diagonal from about 12 feet away. I'm going to buy an OPPO in the next few weeks so I assume that will help. Other than that, put up my do-able board last night, fired up Terminator 3 and Too Fast Too Furious and love the color, love the size, all the adjustments....great buy for the money.
post #204 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM

Where you seeing the screen door effect from the projected LCD squares, or was it the de interlacing of the DVD player you noticed? I only as because at 10 feet I have a hard time seeing SDE on a 110" screen, it is there, but not really that noticeable. On a white screen it was more pronounced for sure though.
post #205 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 02:00 PM

It looked like SDE but this is the first projector I"ve owned so I could be mistaken. I'm picking up a decent DVD player today so I'll be checking it out tonight.
post #206 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 72" wide (about 85" diagonal?) image and I do not see screen door at 11 feet.
post #207 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Liked: 12
Ordered an Hitachi PJTX-100 yesterday. I have an AE900U that works perfectly but I also read a C/Net review where the Hitachi was A-B compared with a Panasonic AE-900U that they were reviewing and they thought the overall picture quality went slightly to Hitachi on the strength of three characteristics: the image was brighter, the black level on a brighter image was darker, and the focus was razor sharp. The Panny got kudos for its color saturation and film like image but the Hitachi was also capable of excellent color too.

Apparently the Hitachi's ANSI 1200:1 contrast is for real.

They particularly commented that the user selectable iris in a dark room allowed black levels that are normally seen only in DLP projectors when watching the space scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" or the shadows in "Alien".

That did it for me. C/Net is notoriously fussy.
post #208 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I love my pj, but you sure they weren't comparing the TX200 to the 900u? I don't see the TX100 able to compete with the 900U without a dynamic iris- the TX200 has a dynamic iris. I would really be interested to hear what you think once you get the Hitachi and compare it to the Panny.

Scott

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #209 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

I love my pj, but you sure they weren't comparing the TX200 to the 900u? I don't see the TX100 able to compete with the 900U without a dynamic iris- the TX200 has a dynamic iris. I would really be interested to hear what you think once you get the Hitachi and compare it to the Panny.

Scott

Not the TX200. Sure of that but I went back and now I couldn't find the specific write up.

CNET has started a process of rerating their ratings and now give the Panny AE900U a 7.1, the Hitachi PJTX-100 a 7.0 and the Optoma HD72 a 7.0.

They also list the Hitachi PJTX-100 as the most popular projector amongst their membership.

I just learned another promising feature when I looked back, however. As you would expect, the Hitachi will take a computer through its VGA input. It will also take a computer through its DVI input if you have a video card that has a DVI output. It has to be selected in the menues to do this but that means it will handle the computer input digitally.That can be a big deal for someone with a computer set up for HT.

I'll post when I've had a chance to compare. Its liable to be a couple weeks, however.
post #210 of 778 Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

CNET isn't exactly a source I'd rely on.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page