Projector vs. HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm new to the boards here, but read recently that instead of purchasing an HDTV, a projector is the way to go for a true theater experience.

Can someone explain why, or link me to a page for this information? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion007 View Post

Hello, I'm new to the boards here, but read recently that instead of purchasing an HDTV, a projector is the way to go for a true theater experience.

Can someone explain why, or link me to a page for this information? Thanks.

Can you say immersive, engulfing, or, ok, how about BIG
?

Movies, especially action/adventure, take on a whole NEW dimension. There simply is no substitute. And, big sound with big image ices the cake.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 PM

Also the subject of your thread is somewhat confusing, which may help you as well...

The term HDTV ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdtv ) refers to the signal going to your display device. Please see link for more information. Short story: HDTV = higher resolution picture and 5.1 sound

When people say they have an "HDTV" typically what they are saying is they have a 16:9 (widescreen) or similar television set.

You can get an "HD-Ready" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd-ready ) CRT TV, rear projection TV, front projection projector, plasma, LCD, etc... which means it is CAPABLE of showing the HDTV signal and taking advantage of the additional resolution quality.

Conclusion, your thread subject should have been LCD/Plasma/RPTV vs. Projector (FPTV)

Hope this helps clear up some of your questions..

P.S. As for the advantages of front projection, the 2nd post about sums it up minus the technical advantages.

Mark
XBox 360 Gamertag: Y2KFirehawk
post #4 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Many of the people who post here with projector setups have screens of 100" or larger.

That about sums it up.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
4x the picture size is so much more immersive and cinema like than a RPTV. A RPTV is simply a somewhat oversized tv. They're far too tiny to be called a "theater".
post #6 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

chicks dig big.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

Can you say immersive, engulfing, or, ok, how about BIG
?

Movies, especially action/adventure, take on a whole NEW dimension. There simply is no substitute. And, big sound with big image ices the cake.

I'd like to add: movable, portable, easy to get into your house, easy to sell when you want to upgrade - all of these in contrast to a 50"+ rptv, and oh, how about generally 50% or more lower cost?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Though some people use projectors for viewing TV I think most use them for movies. I have a projector and a 42" plasma. I use the plasma for hdtv and the projector for movies. There is nothing like a projector for movies.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM

The original question is a nice softball for everyone who wants to champion the merits of projectors. And I am one of them... My short story:

Late last year, I was bitten by the HD bug pretty hard, but honestly, I couldn't see spending $3K+ to get a TV that, while better than my SD-Sony CRT, was simply not big enough! I was all set to throw in the towel.

Enter Consumer Reports & their issue which had scores rating the top PJs well above any other product at a fraction of the cost. I had to learn more...

To keep things brief, I found this site, took in as much information as I could here & elsewhere, then ... bought my HD1000U, made my own over 100" screen, etc. and am now in immersion-heaven

Buy it, set it up, have a friend over (maybe one who bought a 'huge' 60"-65" DLP ) and let the WOW factor take over! Especially if you take all the money you saved in buying a PJ & put it into the sound side of the equation!
post #10 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 PM

And don't think that you can't use a PJ for "everyday" use as there are a lot of users (myself included) that do this. I view SDTV, HDTV, DVD, Xbox, you name it, I throw it up on my PJ...

Mark
XBox 360 Gamertag: Y2KFirehawk
post #11 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 PM

I'm trying to decide which is most appropriate for me...

I'm an apartment-dweller. I currently have a 1-bedroom place with a 14-foot living room and easy control over ambient light. Next year I'll be sharing a 2br with much, much smaller living area & no guarantees. ($1600 rent vs $750 rent)

...If I had a house this wouldn't even be a question.

I'm looking at either a 720p LCD PJ+92" screen combo for about $1700, OR a 60" 1080p RPTV for about $2200. (both include mounts/stands/etc)

Advice?
post #12 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
In the last few weeks I have gone from my 55" widescreen Mitsubishi HD big screen I have had for about six years to a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector with a 92" screen.

The 55" set had a great high definition pic that was great to watch. The HD1000 proj. with my 92" screen is an amazing picture that, as others here have said, is immersive!!!

As most people who have been in my home theater since I set it up put it, it is just like going to the movie theater!

You become much more a part of the action on the screen that when watching a smaller pic. I used to only go to the movie theater for big sfx flicks but now I don't really have a reason to do even that.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Liked: 11
The one caveat to the projector route being best is that you MUST have light control in the room you are going to be using. If not and there will be a lot of ambient light then you probably would be happier with a smaller rear projection set, plasma, or DLP.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 PM

I recently bought my first projector, the panasonic pt-ax100. I had shopped around forever just about the "projector vs. big TV" decision. A close friend has a new Panasonic Plasma TV, and I know a few people with LCD flat panels. I made a few decisions based on what I liked and wanted from a "TV". I knew that I loved watching movies at theaters, I would even go alone occasionally if I had to just to see a movie I wanted to see in the theater. I dont watch that much regular TV, but some so I knew that Movies were priority. I also looked at my room, I have a large perfectly square living room. Perfect for a projector. I also like to watch movies in total darkness, and I have good curtains for limited light. So that was it, I knew I wanted a projector. I wont go into why on the specific one I picked but that was what made the basic decision. Now that I bought one, even my Plasma/LCD friends are bringing their xbox 360's to my house, which looks rediculous in HD. It looks amazing. I would say that it looks nearly like a Plasma or LCD TV, and I watch it at about 140" most of the time. I havent even bought a screen yet! I am never going back to a regular TV in my living room. How could I? hope this helps your decision.

PS: I had my mom watch a sceen from Pirates of the carribean, and one part they are falling down a cliff in cage, and she got butterflys like she was on a rollercoaster because your basicly engulfed by the picture when its that big. ya its that impressive.

chris

Keeping the cleanroom dirty since march 06'
post #15 of 15 Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 AM

I was really worried about getting a PJ, as it would be my MAIN tv and obviously a theater.

What would it look like in ambient light?
Of course it is washed out, but not nearly as bad as I expected.

I don't know a thing about projectors, will I be able to figure it out?
All I had to do was throw a mount on the rear wall and i was good to go!

Do I really NEED that big of a screen?
Heck Yes, My PJ setup never fails to get compliments

What will it look like for non-hd images?
Of course you can see some of the pixels, but it doesn't bother me anymore than the artifacts on my RPTV. (Note: My PJ throws a 106' image, which is the max it can display at the distance i have it set at it, so if i zoom in there would be less)

I also live in an apartment and I am really happy I replaced my 55' Sony RPTV(Rear Projection, Typical 'new' big screen) with a Sanyo Z5. So I encourage you wholeheartedly to get a PJ

Hope this helped, once the bug bites, your hooked
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page