DLP Projector vs LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the process of researching my next television. I live in canada and all the products and prices mentioned below will reflect that.

I have been pondering whether a projector or a LCD would be a better fit? I will be setting up a Home Theatre in my basement, and thus i have complete control of lighting. From very dark to quite bright.

I have a budged of $1,500.00 maximum for my television, however i would like to spend no more than $1,200.00 on a tv, taxes in.

For LCD I am considering the Acer 37" either 1080p if i can find a good deal, or just regular HD, and the viewsonic 37" both around $1,000.00 CDN.

For a projector i am considering the Optoma HD70 as it has the required connections (HDMI, VGA, Component) (again around $1,000.00 CDN.)

What are some of the pro's / con's / things i should be aware of?

For instance, if i buy a projector and ceiling mount it, i will then (i suspect) have to buy at least 20' cables to be able to position my components near my screen?

What are some other things to be wary of?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath553 View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the process of researching my next television. I live in canada and all the products and prices mentioned below will reflect that.

I have been pondering whether a projector or a LCD would be a better fit? I will be setting up a Home Theatre in my basement, and thus i have complete control of lighting. From very dark to quite bright.

I have a budged of $1,500.00 maximum for my television, however i would like to spend no more than $1,200.00 on a tv, taxes in.

For LCD I am considering the Acer 37" either 1080p if i can find a good deal, or just regular HD, and the viewsonic 37" both around $1,000.00 CDN.

For a projector i am considering the Optoma HD70 as it has the required connections (HDMI, VGA, Component) (again around $1,000.00 CDN.)

For instance, if i buy a projector and ceiling mount it, i will then (i suspect) have to buy at least 20' cables to be able to position my components near my screen?

Let's see...37" LCD or a 100" projector...doesn't seem like a tough decision to me.

My advice to you would be to contact a PJ distributor that sells the Optoma and tell them your situation (e.g. budget, room size, desired screen size, etc) and they can tell you what options you have. I have sent Michael at ProjectorsPlus numerous questions in the past and he has always given me straightforward answers.

Seriously though...you are talking about the difference between a TV (and a small one at that) and a movie screen. The difference is quite literally night and day.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 AM
SJK
Advanced Member

37" - Why not just get a video iPod and hold it close to your nose?

Best Regards,
SJK
post #4 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath553 View Post

Hello Everyone,

It really depends on various things. What is your intended use? Are you going to be turning it off and on constantly? How far away from the screen are you going to be sitting?

LCD advantages:

- No bulb to burn out
- Higher resolution
- easy placement
- works well in reasonably bright light

Projector advantages:

- *much* larger screen

In anything but a tiny room, the projector is going to provide a much better experience for movie watching. It'll be more of a pain to setup and you'll have to maintain it, but the LCD won't give you anywhere near the same kind of effect. The LCD on the other hand can easily be moved around a room or a house with little work. It doesn't require a lot of maintenance. You don't need to worry about a screen or light control. Basically if you just want something that you can watch TV or Movies on with a decent (though small) picture and no work it'll serve you better.

Nite_Hawk
post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Liked: 90
If you have a space that is light controllable you owe it to yourself (and your audience ) to get a projector. The Mits HD1000U and the Optoma HD70 can both be found for $100 - $200 under $1k. Later you can add an LCD for watching news and such. LCDs are coming way down in price. A 42" LCD will be under $1K soon.

Good luck!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 AM

With full light control it would be a shame (no, make that a crime!) to go with a flat panel television rather than a projector. A others have said, the difference is night and day, and with a projector you will find that you have brought a movie theater into you house, it is that dramatic of change. I am at the three year anniversary of my first projector and I can still clearly remember what an impact it had.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

LCDs are coming way down in price. A 42" LCD will be under $1K soon.

Good luck!

As we speak/write at the 'no postings' place. And, Off Depot, NewEgg, etc , etc if you shop around. Usually off brand.
Members should contact AVS vendors, however. They often price match AND spiff up deals to boot...such as FREE shipping.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

As we speak/write at the 'no postings' place.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM

There is no question about it... go with the projector UNLESS you are concerned about light issues. (but I don't think you have any) As well, using a projector requires dimmer lights for movies, so hopefully that doesn't bother you.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great replies, i guess i am gonna look into a projector then, haha.

Now all i have to do is watch for a good deal and pounce on it!

Thanks again!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There isn't much maintenance for a projector, is there? Don't the newer models have sealed optics so there are no filters to clean? Aside from putting the lens cap on when you're done, doing a quick focus adjustment when turning it on, and eventually (maybe) replacing the bulb, I don't think there's any real maintenance.

Yeah, the main thing would be how you are going to use it. You can't just turn it on and off like a TV. Every power cycle eats at the bulb life, so you kind of have to make it appointment viewing, turning it on for a few (or several) hours and then leaving it off until the next day or later.

Of course, adding an LCD TV to a projector makes a great combination, since you then have a display for casual viewing to go along with the serious viewing of the projector.

You mentioned something about having your components near your screen. You don't really need to do that. You can put them in the back or to the sides, as long as you don't mind pointing the remote towards those areas. I actually prefer this since the indicator lights aren't in my line of sight, and the remote usually works anyway (maybe the screen is reflecting the infrared light?). Of course, if you have or are considering a PS3, it has a Bluetooth remote available that will work from anywhere in the area. The cables, even longer ones, aren't really that expensive if you get them from Monoprice.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page