Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1271 Old 05-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

Is there any duty on projector since it should be categorized as computer equip? Anyway, the (lack-of) waranty kills the deal with only a ~$400 difference. May be I will wait until Costco start carrying it...

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1271 Old 05-12-2007, 12:09 PM
TCB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

That is bad timing, I would 2nd your friend's recommendation and sell as brand new, since it sounds like you cannot return. By the time you get back, there will be either 1. price drop or other incentive, 2. newer model(s) to consider, or 3. enough negative posts here on AVS to make you feel better about having not kept it.

Aint that the truth!

Check out my Simon and Garfunkel tribute duo:
Feelin' Groovy: The Music of Simon and Garfunkel or my music at
My Music Website
post #393 of 1271 Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Is there any duty on projector since it should be categorized as computer equip? Anyway, the (lack-of) waranty kills the deal with only a ~$400 difference. May be I will wait until Costco start carrying it...

Not sure about canada but in the USA a projector is classified as Video equipment.

page 129
http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/h...ter/0701gn.pdf

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #394 of 1271 Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I'm about ready to take the plunge. This puppy must have some new owners. Plenty of good news. I always skip the good news. Too many owners psychologically like to justify their purchases. What's the dirt?

SDE at 1X throw?
1080P?
Brightness?
Noise?
Scaling?
Exploding lamps?
Explodng heads?

Please, no dust blobs or contrast, no sense beating those to death. BTW, the screen is a Firehawk.

Ken Elliott
post #395 of 1271 Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliot View Post

OK, I'm about ready to take the plunge. This puppy must have some new owners. Plenty of good news. I always skip the good news. Too many owners psychologically like to justify their purchases. What's the dirt?

SDE at 1X throw?
1080P?
Brightness?
Noise?
Scaling?
Exploding lamps?
Explodng heads?

Please, no dust blobs or contrast, no sense beating those to death. BTW, the screen is a Firehawk.

I don't see any SDE, I have to get really close to the screen to see it, within a few feet.

1080p via HD-DVD, 360, PS3, Blu-Ray. Excellent

It's plenty bright, no issues for me.

Noise..I can hear the Iris if I listen for it, in low power mode its pretty silent

Lamp/Head all good here
post #396 of 1271 Old 05-13-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
kelliot -- Since you're going on your 7th year as an AVS member, I assume that your comments were made with your tounge planted firmly in your cheek .

1) SDE -- it depends on how pixel adverse you are. At 1.0x screen width (not the same as "throw" = distance of the PJ from the screen), there may be some SDE if you look for it (it's worse than the 1080p DLPs, but much better than the 720p's). I still haven't had a chance to get over to ChrisW6ATV's place to see his.

2 throuh 4) Read this thread, http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...1080/index.asp, and http://www.projectorreviews.com/Best...2007/index.php.

5 & 6) I would assume that either of these 2 items would be "instantly" reported here (although #6 would be "relative" ).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #397 of 1271 Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:

There is no duty but there is GST and PST.

There is a two year international warranty if you import an Epson from an authorized dealer in Hong Kong.
post #398 of 1271 Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

CT Wiebe, you should get over there and have a look. I agree with Koatikr1, must get within a few feet to see screen door, but I don't have my real screen yet, just projecting on a wall. By the way this thing is so bright in dynamic mode that even in daytime puts out a pretty good pic.
post #399 of 1271 Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post

Is there any where to get this below MSRP??

You may try Hivizone which is an authorized dealer in Hong Kong.
post #400 of 1271 Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

kelliot -- Since you're going on your 7th year as an AVS member, I assume that your comments were made with your tounge planted firmly in your cheek .

1) SDE -- it depends on how pixel adverse you are. At 1.0x screen width (not the same as "throw" = distance of the PJ from the screen), there may be some SDE if you look for it (it's worse than the 1080p DLPs, but much better than the 720p's). I still haven't had a chance to get over to ChrisW6ATV's place to see his.

2 throuh 4) Read this thread, http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...1080/index.asp, and http://www.projectorreviews.com/Best...2007/index.php.

5 & 6) I would assume that either of these 2 items would be "instantly" reported here (although #6 would be "relative" ).

Yes, I've been here a while (7 years? time flies when you are having fun). Yes, a bit of tongue in cheek, but it never hurts to check. I've seen initial glowing reviews many a times to be followed by disappointment or obscure artifacts.

I'm also cheaper (believe it or not) sometimes than RobertWood, the self-professed "King of Cheap". In fact I bought my current PJ, a Proxima rebadged JVC G10 from him. The G10 has great resolution and no SDE but needs some lumens, CR , and sound abatement.

The Epson looks pretty darn good. I would just like to do one last sanity check before I write the check. and then find out about the "killer artifact" or find that it is a "weapon of mass destruction".

And yeah, I've read the reviews.

Ken Elliott
post #401 of 1271 Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlin View Post

I have mine connected to the dvi output of a myhd-130 daughter card. hd video looks awesome but most computer text looks terrible. It glows with different colors and it hurts your eyes to read it.

I have the same problem with the text and a white background is actual shades of different colors. I'm exchanging mine as I'm pretty sure that's a problem it should not have.

Does anyone know what normally causes this type of problem? Seems like some alignment of the panels.

Chuck
post #402 of 1271 Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi all new poster here and new to the world of projectors as well. I'm 90% sure I'm going to go with the Home Cinema, and quite honestly, my head is still spinning from all the details/review/spec sheets I read to make sure that this is exactly what I'm looking for. For the most part, I believe it is, but a little confirmation from you guys wouldn't hurt I'm sure.

I'm looking to set this up in my living room, so I'll have very little to no light control (other than blinds, curtains, lights off). The room also has a beige paint, so I understand I won't get a "total darkness" theatre environment. I'll be watching anything from high-def movies, sports HD broadcasts, and PC output (most likely through VGA, since people seem to be having some issues with DVI-HDMI) during daytime with lots of light and at night with little lighting in the room.

Another thing that I'm going to be doing and I'd like you guys opinion on this is I am NOT doing ceiling mounting. From what I read about the 1080, positioning doesn't seem to be an issue with it, so I am most likely going to opt to place it on the top of a shelf (shelf will also house my other devices, i.e. cable box, PS3, Wii, PC). My concern is that from end-to-end, I'm probably looking at about 19 feet. Even if I account for the size of the shelf (and the positioning of the tip of the projector lens), it's still going to be roughly 18 feet from the screen. Would this be a problem if I project it on a 100" screen?

My second concern is the screen. If I understood all the things that I've read, a grey screen would be the ideal for the kind of setup I'm looking for. While I'm tempted to go with the more expensive Da-lite HC grey screens, I found a place that would sell the Elite EZFrame at roughly 1/3 the price of Da-lite. Is the difference in quality between the two brands really worth nearly $800? My wallet says no =P But I'd like to hear what your thoughts are regarding those two screens. Will the Elite be able to handle the versatility I look for on my setup? I've heard that the 1080 is pretty bright (if not the brightest 1080p projector out right now), but will the throw distance (18 ft), along with the light conditions, be enough that it will degrade the brightness of the picture?

EDIT: Also, the screen would most likely be about 10 ft away from the viewing area. 100" screen should be fine for that distance, am I correct?
post #403 of 1271 Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckvb View Post

I have the same problem with the text and a white background is actual shades of different colors. I'm exchanging mine as I'm pretty sure that's a problem it should not have.

Does anyone know what normally causes this type of problem? Seems like some alignment of the panels.

Chuck

Where did you buy yours? I got mine at Visual Apex because of all the good things I heard about them on here and they tell me there's nothing wrong with my projector and that no projector does everything perfect.
post #404 of 1271 Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 PM

Liked: 12
Is anyone able to compare the 1080 to the Sanyo Z4 for "sharpness" and other features? The Sanyo has great scaling for all sources but is only a 'one megapixel' 3LCD display rather than two [1080x1920].
post #405 of 1271 Old 05-16-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemfi View Post

There is no duty but there is GST and PST.

There is a two year international warranty if you import an Epson from an authorized dealer in Hong Kong.

Thanks! Sounds like I should get it from HK (funny, I've just been there 4 months ago and decided not to get it...)
post #406 of 1271 Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 AM

Hi All,
So I decided to keep the Home 1080, and I'll figure out what happens if and when I get transfered overseas. I have a couple of 'default' questions. First, when I fired up the 1080 my out of the box colour mode was Theatre Black 1 - should this be right? Also, the output scaling was set to 92%, and the auto iris was off. I'm just wondering if this is how the PJ comes or are there variations in the default settings, unit to unit. I only played with it for about an hour but I am very impressed.
Thanks
post #407 of 1271 Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN View Post

...when I fired up the 1080 my out of the box colour mode was Theatre Black 1 - should this be right? Also, the output scaling was set to 92%, and the auto iris was off. I'm just wondering if this is how the PJ comes or are there variations in the default settings, unit to unit...

That's exactly how my HC1080 came and I am extremely impressed with the color, contrast and black level even without the auto-iris on. This projector is a beauty!
post #408 of 1271 Old 05-17-2007, 05:43 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

What's up with the Audioholics review stating the unability to pass blacker than black? BTB Pluge.
post #409 of 1271 Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Played with the 1080 some more tonight. Gotta say this is on fine PJ. Watched some of 'Day After Tommorrow' on Fox in HD and it looked fantastic! My worries about the possible lack of sharpness are completely gone! This thing puts out an image that is sharp as a tack! Watched some baseball and hockey in HD as well. Beautiful! I did notice something with the 1080 and my Toshiba HD A2 that I didn't with my Z3. When the HD DVD logo appears at the bottom right of the 'blank' screen, it is not completely white. It goes from white to a faint red to a faint blue-green. Is this normal? Also when I was watching the Detroit - Anaheim hockey game, it didn't seem that when the image was all ice, it was a consistent white or at least a dirty white. The bottom right has a very faint blue tinge to it. I have heard that convergence is never perfect on LCD PJ's. It's only noticable if you're really actually staring at that bottom corner. But my question was whether or not the 'white' image is ever absolutely perfect on LCD PJ's. It wasn't visible on any other image. Maybe I just need to let the 1080 get some hours on it? Thanks. Oh, and black levels are WAY better than on my old Z3.
post #410 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:

When the HD DVD logo appears at the bottom right of the 'blank' screen, it is not completely white. It goes from white to a faint red to a faint blue-green. Is this normal?

Yes...
post #411 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 09:51 AM

Sorry, - Yes, 'wink' ? or just yes?
post #412 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Yes in that it shows up that way with my two projectors and CRT, but you never know who may have differing results...
post #413 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks DigVid. Is there anyway to get a solid 'white' image to check to see if everything is hunky-dory with the PJ?
post #414 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks DigVid. Is there anyway to get a solid 'white' image to check to see if everything is hunky-dory with the PJ?

...and has anybody found out if there is a service menu for tweaking the colour uniformity like the way the Hitachi TX100 and 200 do?

thanks,

post #415 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 PM

Sorry, but I just wanted to clarify my colour question regarding the HD A2 and the 1080. It's not that the colours change when viewing the HD DVD logo, but rather, the logo essentially displays three colours. Going from left to right. White - faint red - faint blue-green. I'll try hooking up the player to my old Trinitron to see what it displays there. Thanks again guys!
post #416 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 04:55 PM

I called Epson about the problems with the Home 1080 I bought and they agreed to exchange it.

Fantastic service by Epson by the way.

Guess what they sent me in exchange?

Well, imagine my surprise upon checking the box and opening it up - a PowerLite Pro 1080!

Mind you no spare bulb or mount, but the PJ itself came complete with ISF settings in the menu, though of course not calibrated.

No problems on sharpness, or color saturation on this unit - nice picture indeed!

Interesting thing about both this unit and the Home 1080 I sent back. When examing the ID sticker on the bottom of the projector, they are both identified as the EMP-TW1000. Except for the case color and the ISF settings, the PJ's seem the same.

Does this mean I have to go to the over $3,000.00 forum?
post #417 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 05:11 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

You lucky bass-turd. I guess...or does it really matter that you now have a Pro? Either way, you've got a new projector now to replace the faulty one.

So does the new unit have really good sharpness compared to your first unit? It's obvious your first unit was faulty?

Way to go man
post #418 of 1271 Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorite View Post

I called Epson about the problems with the Home 1080 I bought and they agreed to exchange it.

Fantastic service by Epson by the way.

Guess what they sent me in exchange?

Well, imagine my surprise upon checking the box and opening it up - a PowerLite Pro 1080!

Mind you no spare bulb or mount, but the PJ itself came complete with ISF settings in the menu, though of course not calibrated.

No problems on sharpness, or color saturation on this unit - nice picture indeed!

Interesting thing about both this unit and the Home 1080 I sent back. When examing the ID sticker on the bottom of the projector, they are both identified as the EMP-TW1000. Except for the case color and the ISF settings, the PJ's seem the same.

Does this mean I have to go to the over $3,000.00 forum?

I would double check your credit card... you never know, they might have thought you had a pro and charge your card for a pro when they don't receive a pro (hopefully not).

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #419 of 1271 Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I would double check your credit card... you never know, they might have thought you had a pro and charge your card for a pro when they don't receive a pro (hopefully not).

You can be sure that I will be checking this.

I did call Epson when I received the unit to verify that they sent what was intended and they did verify that.
post #420 of 1271 Old 05-19-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

You lucky bass-turd. I guess...or does it really matter that you now have a Pro? Either way, you've got a new projector now to replace the faulty one.

So does the new unit have really good sharpness compared to your first unit? It's obvious your first unit was faulty?

Way to go man

The first unit was clearly faulty, and yes this unit is very sharp.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae1000u High Definition Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page