Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

Shawn,

I have done a lot of tinkering, but my favorite settings are: high contrast, economy lamp, color temp at 6500k, standard picture, and dynamic contrast. Sometimes I prefer the natural picture setting.

I don't think that colors are dialed in precisely at 6500k but they are very close. Images just are incredibly three dimensional and lifelike. After coming from an LCD projector, as I did, that I thought had pretty good blacks, it was very surprising to see the vastly superior blacks that the 12k is capable of. It is best seen rather than described.

The onboard scaler is also excellent and underrated. It does a great job of taking 4:3 material and converting it to 16:9. I also have my cable box set to pass through because the 12k does a much better job of scaling than the cable box does. Make sure you do this.

There is an old Z12000 calibration thread that has been archived. I tried the settings that were recommended there but I went back to the standard ones because they looked better in my opinion.

The HP screen is a great pairing with this PJ, let me know how it all turns out.

Steve

Hey Steve,

How do you put the cable box on pass through? Is there a setting in the menu, or do I just set it to 480i?

I am also using a Panny S97S DVD player. Should I set that to 480i as well? The Panny is supposed to have a pretty good scaler--is the Sharp's better?

Thanks,

bdbaba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Hey Steve,

How do you put the cable box on pass through? Is there a setting in the menu, or do I just set it to 480i?

I am also using a Panny S97S DVD player. Should I set that to 480i as well? The Panny is supposed to have a pretty good scaler--is the Sharp's better?

Thanks,

bdbaba

The answer to that depends on the kind of cable box you have.

On my Scientifica Atlanta box, I have to hit the settings button twice. Then I change the video output setting. The different options are fixed, pass though and
upconvert. Pass through will just send a 480i signal as a 480i and a 720p as a 720p. Then you can mess with the settings on the 12k, there are several levels of sharpening, etc.

Try your DVD player both ways and see which way looks better to you. I like the onobard sharp scaler better than my Oppo's, although they are pretty close for DVDs.

Steve

Affable Nitwit
post #93 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGimp View Post

Seeing the XV-Z9000 manual along with the above conversation confirming the lens shift made me pull the trigger as well. I don't think another similarly priced/featured pj with lens shift that can take advantage of the HP will come around anytime soon.

BTW, here's a really great post on the gain vs. angle of the HP: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5862849

Since I'm going to be using this 50/50 with lights vs. blacked out, 2x+ the ftL in high brightness mode will be nice.

That is what I do as well.

I have canned lighting in the ceiling. I slightly unscrewed the two closest to the screen because they wee washing out the image. As long as there is no light shining directly on the screen, I have a very usuable daytime image. I wouldn't watch movies this way but it is good for sports and light tv.

Affable Nitwit
post #94 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipplemeyer View Post

To the few who seem to have this pj already, how is the image sharpness on this model? Would you say that it is sharper and more detailed than its little brother the Sharp Z3000? I'm curious because one of the primary things I want to upgrade is the image sharpness.

Moe

I have never seen the Z3000 so I can't make the comparison. All I can say is that I am completely satisfied and will not consider a different projector until bulb technology improves. I find picture quality is not just a matter of detail or sharpness. I have a Hitachi 32" HD (not ED) plasma about 4 years old. Compared to my 1 year old 50" Pioneer the Hitachi's picture seems flat because it does not have the "depth" that improved contrast provides. I am sure others can be more technical and relate numbers on lumens, contrast, screen size etc. Believe your eyes. See it in your environment. I think you have 90 days to return it.
post #95 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 AM

Mine is scheduled for delivery today. This will be my 4th projector since I started this hobby a few years ago...upgrading from a Panasonic PT-AX100U; previous to the AX100, I owned the 900, 700, 4805 and an X1. Will be table mounting and projecting to a 106" HP screen.

Can't believe how much prices have come down...this really looks like the best bang for the buck right now esp. considering it's a DC3. This projector MSRP's over 10k and from the reviews the optics/pq seem to be first rate. I will post some results when it comes in; really looking forward to it!
post #96 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Skor, Please let us know your initial impressions of the 12k. I think that you will see dramatic differences between it and your prior PJs.

Affable Nitwit
post #97 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The answer to that depends on the kind of cable box you have.

On my Scientifica Atlanta box, I have to hit the settings button twice. Then I change the video output setting. The different options are fixed, pass though and
upconvert. Pass through will just send a 480i signal as a 480i and a 720p as a 720p. Then you can mess with the settings on the 12k, there are several levels of sharpening, etc.

Try your DVD player both ways and see which way looks better to you. I like the onobard sharp scaler better than my Oppo's, although they are pretty close for DVDs.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Sounds easy enough. I have the SA 8300--sounds like the same one you have. What settings in the PJ are you talking about and what did you set yours at?

bdbaba
post #98 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My SA8300-HD STB operates a little different. Hit the settings button once, then the A button for advanced options and then scroll down to the output option. To get full passthrough, you need to select all the options (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) and thus the 8300 will not do any deinterlacing nor scaling.
post #99 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 PM

I just ordered mine. This will be to replace a panny 900 which replaced a SP4805. I was very let down with the image that the 900 produced vs the 4805. LCD does not produce the depth of image that DLP does. I can wait to see what kind of an improvement this is over the panny.

What would be the recomended screen gain for this pj? I am in a light controlled basement, 84" diag. screen. I can get either 1.0 or 1.4 gain. I will be sitting 10' away from the screen.

Thanks
post #100 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Okay, a question WRT to screen size fellas. When you say 92" wide, you do mean 'wide' as opposed to 92" diagonal right?

Also, if you do in fact mean 'wide' would this PJ work well enough (in the interim) with an 48"x85.3" homemade BOC screen from about 14 feet?

Thanks

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #101 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I'm hoping someone would be willing to share their experience with HD-DVD or Bluray movies. In particular, I have a 360 with HD-DVD addon and a PS3 so I'm covered either way, but my question involves the input selection. I currently run my 360 via the VGA port on my 4805 and would prefer this method were I to buy this PJ. Of course the MK2 appears to have only DVI and component input. Is that correct? If so, what are people's experience using the component inputs with HD-DVD or Bluray?

Sorry for the rambling nature but I'm in kind of a hurry right now.

Thanks

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #102 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 PM

dchayer - I'd go with the higher gain. When you do the math the ultimateav review puts the lumens much lower than the hometheatermag review (probably different aged bulbs and different throw distances). Either way this pj isn't very bright in high contrast mode.

Your best bet would be to wait to get the pj, and project either on a wall, a do-able board, or some other cheap/easy screen. Then you can tell whether a slight or more drastic gain is needed. Given how dim this pj is to begin with, the Da-Lite High Power is a great match. Putting the pj vertically within the height of the screen allows one to take advantage of most of the gain. And remember within 500-1000 hours the bulb is likely going to be half as bright. Of course the High Power's gain drops off as you go far to the left or right, so if your seating is 10 feet wide it may not be the best choice. The High Power also happens to be dirt cheap. I got my 92" wide for well under $300 from Jason here at AVscience.
post #103 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipplemeyer View Post

Would you say that it is sharper and more detailed than its little brother the Sharp Z3000? I'm curious because one of the primary things I want to upgrade is the image sharpness.

I'll let you know when I get mine. I had to return my DT-500 due to dust blobs a few weeks ago, but I remember the ~1pixels of green/magenta chomatic aberration it had. I expect this unit's optics to be close to perfect, but we'll see.
post #104 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my Sharp came today. I have been watching it for about an hour and a half on various HD-DVDs.

The good..... the lens shift is fine for getting the projector inside the screen edges. So no problems with a HP screen setup at all. The increase dynamic range (contrast) over the AE900 is apparent. It is quite a bit sharper then it as well. From an initial impression of the image quality it looks like it would be a nice upgrade there. The ability to switch from high contrast mode to higher brightness modes could be handy when we are watching football in the theater.

The not so good. It is louder then I'd like. This I could work around if needed.
SDE it is worse then the AE900. With the AE900 on some white text I could just barely make out SDE from the front row. With the Sharp I'm seeing it like that from the back row of seats. From the front row I can see it clearly on most of the image and that is before the pixel size increases with my ISCO II. The ISCO might also help to blur the SDE a little but I don't have a way to mount it with the Sharp yet.

The bad.... rainbows rainbows rainbows. I'm seeing them all over the place on 'Serenity' and 'Batman Returns.' At one point in 'Serenity' Mal's face turned into a splash of color which made me blink and it did it again. Very distracting.

Shawn
post #105 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 04:07 PM

Received mine today but havn't had a chance to open the box. I noticed the box was re-sealed. Am I getting a return unit?
post #106 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 04:16 PM

One way to tell may be in the service menu if there's a total hours used for the projector. If it's not zero like the bulb timer then it's a used unit. Here's a service menu access thread (not sure if it'll work on the mk II): http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=536645

Does the rest of the unit look used at all (dusty lens, etc.)?
post #107 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogg View Post

Well, my Sharp came today. I have been watching it for about an hour and a half on various HD-DVDs.

The good..... the lens shift is fine for getting the projector inside the screen edges. So no problems with a HP screen setup at all. The increase dynamic range (contrast) over the AE900 is apparent. It is quite a bit sharper then it as well. From an initial impression of the image quality it looks like it would be a nice upgrade there. The ability to switch from high contrast mode to higher brightness modes could be handy when we are watching football in the theater.

The not so good. It is louder then I'd like. This I could work around if needed.
SDE it is worse then the AE900. With the AE900 on some white text I could just barely make out SDE from the front row. With the Sharp I'm seeing it like that from the back row of seats. From the front row I can see it clearly on most of the image and that is before the pixel size increases with my ISCO II. The ISCO might also help to blur the SDE a little but I don't have a way to mount it with the Sharp yet.

The bad.... rainbows rainbows rainbows. I'm seeing them all over the place on 'Serenity' and 'Batman Returns.' At one point in 'Serenity' Mal's face turned into a splash of color which made me blink and it did it again. Very distracting.

Shawn

That's too bad. At least you can bring it back if it is not right for you.

Affable Nitwit
post #108 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

"Received mine today but havn't had a chance to open the box. I noticed the box was re-sealed. Am I getting a return unit?"

Mine was resealed too. Costco puts an order paper in the box so it might be simply from that. The rest of the unit looked like it was still factory wrapped and the hour meter was at 0.

Shawn
post #109 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

"That's too bad. At least you can bring it back if it is not right for you."

I'm going to spend more time with it but if it doesn't work out it is easy enough to return it. So no worries there. I would nt have tried it without the return ability.

If one isn't bothered by rainbows this looks like it would be a heck of a unit at this price. It is kind of odd as I haven't noticed rainbows this badly on my friends (slower) DLPs. Probably related to my seating distance/brightness or something.

Shawn
post #110 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the link. Will check it out tonight... and hope I can keep it. Her reason: my delicated HT won't be ready in 2 months, and there will be better ones then. The reason I get it now because of my low ceiling, 7.5' and I want DLP.

Whose side are you on?
post #111 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to clarify, I looked at the manual and this PJ does offer RGB/HV via RCA connectors. So one really has six connection options:

Composite
S-video
Component
RGB/HV via 5 RCA terminals
DVI
HDMI (via convertor)

For the 360 VGA connection all one would need is a HD15 to RGB/HV breakout cable. The DVI to HDMI breakout cable is included.

post #112 of 2537 Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Just get her to agree to buying an RS1 if this is sold out in 2 months. 2 months less warranty, etc. For anyone on the fence you can try adding 999 of these to your cart to see how many they have left. I'd imagine there are quite a few lurkers reading this thread as they seem to be selling a few a day.

I'm definitely interested if anyone can say whether that service menu code works and report anything interesting. I'd love it if this thing would go down to 4x in wheel speed (for me that's the only advantage the HD1000U has over this).
post #113 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just get her to agree to buying an RS1 if this is sold out in 2 months. 2 months less warranty, etc. For anyone on the fence you can try adding 999 of these to your cart to see how many they have left. I'd imagine there are quite a few lurkers reading this thread as they seem to be selling a few a day.

I'm definitely interested if anyone can say whether that service menu code works and report anything interesting. I'd love it if this thing would go down to 4x in wheel speed (for me that's the only advantage the HD1000U has over this).

Hey FlyingGimp,

What is the benefit of having a slower wheel speed? I thought higher is better--less rainbows. Does a higher speed degrade the PQ?

I had the XV-Z3K and I thought that the PQ was fantastic. Too bad I had 2 bum units. Hopefully we both have better luck with this unit.

bdbaba
post #114 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

sfogg,

I have never heard that rainbows are more visible based on seating. The only variable that I have ever heard discussed is the color wheel speed. Have you heard otherwise?

If I had the problems you describe it would be a deal killer for me. The problem is that you have to spend a lot more money to get comparable PQ without the threat of rainbows.

Affable Nitwit
post #115 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

"I have never heard that rainbows are more visible based on seating. The only variable that I have ever heard discussed is the color wheel speed. Have you heard otherwise?"

Just a theory since I had not seen so many rainbows on my friends slower DLPs but there I sat further away. I think distance might be a component though. The closer you get to the screen the more the screen fills your field of vision which results in both movement on screen being 'larger/faster' from a field of vision point of view and you need to move your eyes more to take in the whole screen.

I can't move further back in my room (back wall) to test that theory though.

"If I had the problems you describe it would be a deal killer for me. The problem is that you have to spend a lot more money to get comparable PQ without the threat of rainbows."

Yeah, I watched Seabiscuit on HD-DVD and it was beautiful from the back row. I have actually have a RS-1 on pre-order since November. I was trying the Sharp to see about maybe just going with it at less then half the cost. The rainbows are probably going to end up making that an easy choice though. Which is a shame as the Sharp does look great not counting rainbows.

Shawn
post #116 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Good luck. At least your path is clear although your wallet will be a bit lighter. The RS1 looks like a great projector. I have not seen one yet.

Your theory makes a lot of sense. I sit about 1 1/2 screen widths back and perhaps my eyes need not dart back and forth to follow things. I prefer it at that distance so I guess I am just lucky.

Affable Nitwit
post #117 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 01:43 PM

bdbaba - faster colorwheel speed means less time for the mirrors to switch and data to be delivered to the DMD. I believe the Mk II also came out before the newer/faster DPP3020 DMD controller. The 5x speed and the extra dark green segment leaves the potential for more temporal dithering artifacts. I noticed them on the DT-500 a fair amount, so I won't describe them in detail. No sense in training your eye to see a defect. They'd have to be much worse on the Mk II to be a dealbreaker for me.

Of course the most obvious temporal dithering artifacts are the DLP "green worms" on a near black screen. Since the Mk II's dark green segment eliminates these it will be interesting to see how this area compares overall.
post #118 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 02:59 PM

How would this projector compare to the following -
Panasonic PT-AX100U or Sanyo PLV-Z5

BTW - I understand the basic differences between DLP and LCD...

I am in the market for PJ and gonna have my dedicated HT room done in a couple of months.

Also, I have a Samsung 43inch DLP and love it. See rainbows once in awhile but nothing bad.

Any advice would be welcome. I dont mind spending the extra cash if this PJ is so much better.

My dedicated room has controlled light and was looking at a 110 inch screen. The room is 14 x 22.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
post #119 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Here is another review by Cine4Home. Pick your translator.

First, the HC3000 is not the equal of the 12k in PQ. It is really that simply. If you want better PQ go with the Sharp. If you are willing to sacrifice PQ for smaller size or less noise, go with the Mitsu.

It is not fair to label the 12k as "not bright." It is not as bright with the Iris closed. If you want it brighter, open the iris. It is simple as that. I run it that way myself when I am watching sports and don't want to be in a dark room. The HC3000 has no iris to close. Isn't it nice to have the option?

As for fan noise and size, pick your poison. Have you seen the dimensions of a Ruby, Pearl, Z20000 or RS1? Big projectors tend to be better. I can understand why you don't want to hear the fan. If you think it will bother you that much, don't get this projector.

I know what the specs say but my Mits HC3000 is not quite! I saw the sharp at a dealer and could not hear it on low lamp mode. I thought something was wrong as it was a lot quiter then my mits. My guess is Mits and Sharp employee different measuring techniques. Plus the sharp wheel spins faster so I would assume that might help those that are rainbow sensitive.
post #120 of 2537 Old 04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

bdbaba - faster colorwheel speed means less time for the mirrors to switch and data to be delivered to the DMD. I believe the Mk II also came out before the newer/faster DPP3020 DMD controller. The 5x speed and the extra dark green segment leaves the potential for more temporal dithering artifacts. I noticed them on the DT-500 a fair amount, so I won't describe them in detail. No sense in training your eye to see a defect. They'd have to be much worse on the Mk II to be a dealbreaker for me.

Of course the most obvious temporal dithering artifacts are the DLP "green worms" on a near black screen. Since the Mk II's dark green segment eliminates these it will be interesting to see how this area compares overall.

Hey FlyingGimp,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I do see RBE, but I did not have any problems with the XV-Z3K. Hopedully I won't with this one either. I ordered mine on Thursday, but it still has not shipped. Bummer. I am interested to hear what your experience is with this PJ when you get it.

Aloha,

bdbaba
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page