post #151 of 2537 Old 04-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Cool, looking forward to your opinion on the noise factor! I really want to pull the trigger on the Sharp, but the noise is the only thing I can't figure out yet. If the Sharp was as quiet at 6 feet as my H31 is at 4 feet I'd get it in a heartbeat, especially since the Mits would need to be directly overhead. Some say the Mits is quiet, some say it isn't. I just don't know...!

I'm sure I'll get the math wrong - it's been a while since I looked at acoustic power level formulas. But if I recall, the sound level halves as you double the distance. Now the way we perceive sound loudness is not linear, and a halving of sound energy is equivalent to 6dB measured drop.

Sooo, if I have the math right (and I'm sure to be corrected here shortly) then let's suppose the HD100u measures 25dB at 3' from your head. A projector that is rated at 31dB would sound the same as the HD1000u at a distance of 6' (which another way of looking at it is that the second project will sound twice as loud as the HD1000u if they are at the same distance from your ears). So, if the Sharp z12000 is measured to be 33dB at 3', then it would need to be about 8' back for it to sound the same (25db, or an 8dB drop) as the HD1000u. Of course this all assumes the starting numbers of 25dB and 33dB are measured the same way and at the same distance and my assumption is to use 3' as a standard measurement distance.

Cheers,
daggerNC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2537 Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

In my room I have good light control, but I have a white ceiling and tan walls. Even so, I never felt the need to go with a higher gain screen. I keep my H31 on low power, and the picture seems plenty bright, with a lot of snap! Hope this helps! Edit: I have about 600 hours on my lamp, but it still looks good on low power!

Many thanks for your feedback. Makes me rethink my decision to go with BW - I'm planning to use mostly black and very dark colors in my HT with full light control. But I am guessing 1.4 gain is not that high to begin with. I remember reading that someone actually measured less than 1.2 gain with this screen in his setup.
post #153 of 2537 Old 04-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like there is a variable vertical aspect ratio size adjustment for this projector under the keystone menu. This would be valuable for 2.35 CIH setups. Can anyone verify whether the black bars can be completely eliminated (leaving everything tall & skinny) on a 2.35:1 movie using this function?

Mike

post #154 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I don't think it does accept 480i over DVI. I think I tried it and it did not accept the signal. I use component and have no complaints. I couldn't notice and difference between component and a digital signal.

I read a review in Consumer Report that said even though in theory HDMI since it is all digital should be better, but when they tested digital vs component they could not preceive any difference. Many of the potential features to of HMDI are not widely available yet; HDMI has more to do with preventing illegal coping and pricacy of content.

"trust but verify"
post #155 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Well, I use HDMI with my z3k solely because my HD-A1 will upscale via HDMI only. HD via component/HDMI looks the same to my consumer level eyes.

I love the z3k but the z12k new . . . well that's amazing.

Too bad I just reconfigured my theater/living room for the short throw z3k. The z12k would have been a drop-in for my old long throw Hitachi.
post #156 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM

How long did it take for the store that must not be shamed to ship your order? I ordered mine at 2pm on friday and my order status has not changed.

Thanks
post #157 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchayer View Post

How long did it take for the store that must not be shamed to ship your order? I ordered mine at 2pm on friday and my order status has not changed.

Thanks

I ordered mine at about 10 AM on Thursday and I have not received a "shipped" email yet. Hopefully order fulfillment is just running a bit behind because of Easter.
post #158 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

I ordered mine at about 10 AM on Thursday and I have not received a "shipped" email yet. Hopefully order fulfillment is just running a bit behind because of Easter.

This store has a habit of shipping without ever updating your tracking information. It happend to me on an unrelated purchase.

Affable Nitwit
post #159 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This store has a habit of shipping without ever updating your tracking information. It happend to me on an unrelated purchase.

Interesting. I hope they send me a tracking number soon--I like to be here when UPS delivers. "Oops" likes to leave packages outside my door when I am not around, and it can be hot and sunny one second and pouring rain the next here on the windward side.

A soggy PJ is just not fun at all!
post #160 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info, glad to know I am not the only one.
post #161 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think it took 3 days for them to ship mine last week.

Shawn
post #162 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I ordered Thursday night and I'm still "in process".

Rob
post #163 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BQC-XVZ100005 is the part for replacement lamp ($500--ouch). Not much cheaper froogling for me.

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/hom_man_XVZ12000.pdf is link to the 12k manual. Have fun reading 97 pages .

Here is a screen calculator for this PJ: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Shar...ulator-pro.htm

This is an AWESOME value guys. Even now most reliable places sells this PJ over $5K (Froogle and you'll see).

Huey ;-]
post #164 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM

I ordered the 12k on Friday and just checked and it shipped today--should be here on Friday. Now I have to take back the DT-500, which never seemed to look quite right--I had thought about getting a second unit, but then I saw the 12k and jumped.

What I'm curious about is why a pj like the BenQ 8720 can have a sound level of 23/26 db, when this thing is at 33db. More efficient air movement? Heat sink? Just a quieter fan?
post #165 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjuliani View Post

I ordered the 12k on Friday and just checked and it shipped today--should be here on Friday. Now I have to take back the DT-500, which never seemed to look quite right--I had thought about getting a second unit, but then I saw the 12k and jumped.

What I'm curious about is why a pj like the BenQ 8720 can have a sound level of 23/26 db, when this thing is at 33db. More efficient air movement? Heat sink? Just a quieter fan?

Woo Hoo! Mine has shipped as well! That is one heavy PJ.

Type: Package
Scheduled Delivery: 04/11/2007
Shipped or Billed on: 04/09/2007
Service Type: 2ND DAY AIR
Weight: 31.60 Lbs

I am curious about the noise thing as well. Seems like a huge beast like this would keep cooler just because of the extra space in the thing.

Can't wait to get this puppy up and running.
post #166 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had a chance to hook mine up today...this thing is pretty damn big. You know ahead of time it's big, but once you take it out of the box, the "girth" is still surprising....and it is loud. Probably my major complaint. Not sure if it's a dealbreaker yet, I'll have to watch a few movies first. It walks all over the Sony HS60 in terms of image depth and shadow detail for sure. Black levels are better too. Noticed some flickering though, hopefully it goes away...
post #167 of 2537 Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

OK, Just ordered mine tonight. The generous 90-day return policy (albeit not as generous as before!) forced me to check this one out. High quality long throw glass lens, DC3 chip, fully featured CMS and calibration control, top notch internal scaler and the PRICE compared to original MSRP was too much to resist for what you get.

Noise is a concern, size not too big of a concern (for the quality), and the long throw is great for an anamorphic lens...hopefully the vertical size adjust will work for CIH too (potential bonus).
post #168 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post

I had a chance to hook mine up today...this thing is pretty damn big. You know ahead of time it's big, but once you take it out of the box, the "girth" is still surprising....and it is loud. Probably my major complaint. Not sure if it's a dealbreaker yet, I'll have to watch a few movies first. It walks all over the Sony HS60 in terms of image depth and shadow detail for sure. Black levels are better too. Noticed some flickering though, hopefully it goes away...

From what I understand, flickering is almost always exclusively a lamp issue. It will probably settle down. If not, call Sharp and seek their assistance. Failing that, return it. You should not have any flickering.

As for the size, the 12k is similarly sized to other projectors in its class. I know of no top tier projector that is "small."

As for noise, I would just say that although it is not as quiet as I would like, it has honestly never been a distraction when watching anything. I spent the other night trying to judge if this was true or not. For instance, when watching the Sopranos (not a loud show) with the volume at only a moderate level, I did not notice the projector unless I thought about listening for the projector. It is the kind of white noise that your brain easily overlooks unless you are trying to listen for it.

Affable Nitwit
post #169 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 AM

Mine shipped and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I also ordered a new Carada BW screen that is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. and to top it all off my 4 berkline motorized leather recliners where just delivered. It is going to be a great week! I am never going to leave my theater!
post #170 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchayer View Post

Mine shipped and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I also ordered a new Carada BW screen that is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. and to top it all off my 4 berkline motorized leather recliners where just delivered. It is going to be a great week! I am never going to leave my theater!

dchayer, we must be doing the same research I received my Z12000 last night. I am also planning to get Carada BW and 4 Berklines. What size and AR Carada are you getting?
post #171 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 AM

What ceiling mount would be suggested for this projector? I am going to go look at one in a showroom today, and then will decide or not to pull the trigger.

Our dedicated room is just getting started and the contractor we use is kind of slow. He is finishing off half the basement and I want to make sure I can use the full 90 days. Meaning the HT gets done in time to mount and test within the 90 day return period. So many complications and I keep refreshing the retailers site to see if they are taken down yet. Its funny what we do. I would be able to test it, but want to make sure I have time with it in my dedicated HT room.

Thanks -
tony
post #172 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreev View Post

dchayer, we must be doing the same research I received my Z12000 last night. I am also planning to get Carada BW and 4 Berklines. What size and AR Carada are you getting?

I got the 16:9 84" precision screen. I will only be sitting 10 feet away so I did not want to go any larger.

If you haven't purchased your berklines yet I would highly recommend Roman, screen name rsh, who you can find over in the Theater Room Items & Accessories forum.
post #173 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

From what I understand, flickering is almost always exclusively a lamp issue. It will probably settle down. If not, call Sharp and seek their assistance. Failing that, return it. You should not have any flickering.

As for the size, the 12k is similarly sized to other projectors in its class. I know of no top tier projector that is "small."

As for noise, I would just say that although it is not as quiet as I would like, it has honestly never been a distraction when watching anything. I spent the other night trying to judge if this was true or not. For instance, when watching the Sopranos (not a loud show) with the volume at only a moderate level, I did not notice the projector unless I thought about listening for the projector. It is the kind of white noise that your brain easily overlooks unless you are trying to listen for it.

I wasn't complaining about it's size...I actually think it's a very good looking projector and it looks nice hanging from the ceiling.

How far is your seating distance from the projector? I measured and my head is 5' from the front of the case. I'll for sure watch a couple of movies and see if I can block it out.
post #174 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Hey Guitarman,

what did you think of the brightness and PQ of the 12000 MkII?
post #175 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post

I wasn't complaining about it's size...I actually think it's a very good looking projector and it looks nice hanging from the ceiling.

How far is your seating distance from the projector? I measured and my head is 5' from the front of the case. I'll for sure watch a couple of movies and see if I can block it out.

I am about 1 foot in front and 2 below the projector.

Affable Nitwit
post #176 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalpunk View Post

What ceiling mount would be suggested for this projector? I am going to go look at one in a showroom today, and then will decide or not to pull the trigger.

Our dedicated room is just getting started and the contractor we use is kind of slow. He is finishing off half the basement and I want to make sure I can use the full 90 days. Meaning the HT gets done in time to mount and test within the 90 day return period. So many complications and I keep refreshing the retailers site to see if they are taken down yet. Its funny what we do. I would be able to test it, but want to make sure I have time with it in my dedicated HT room.

Thanks -
tony

You can check the number that they have left by putting in 999 in the qty box and then going to checkout it will adjust the qty to the availabe inventory balance. I checked today and there were 86 units left.

"trust but verify"
post #177 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Since this is an older unit, would there ever be the possibility of not being able to find a replacement lamp? Is there problems like this with FP.
Thanks,
tony
post #178 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby1300 View Post

Hey Guitarman,

what did you think of the brightness and PQ of the 12000 MkII?

Super 720p image for clarity and color saturation plus color tones, black level, everything looked excellent. Mine was a 500 hour old demo and high contrast iris was a little darker than I'm use to. But I could use it at night. Plus I'm using a HP screen. I'm tempted to try one of these because there's not one review of the Sharp DC3, or at least one with the lumens and CR numbers I'd feel safe with.

A good guess would be CR is 4300.1 in HC/closed Iris and around just under 300 or 400 lumens when in high contrast mode. Iris wide open it's probably 1,000 lumens.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #179 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Aloha All,

My PJ arrived today--a day ahead of time! Go UPS. Shipped in the Dealer box--no double box--but it does not look too beat up. I will fire it up tonight and report about noise levels and such in the AM.

By the way, there is a guy selling a three month old Oppo 970 DVD player here on island for $100. I guess he bought a PS3. I think that this is the one that does 480i over HDMI? Also has SACD/DVD Audio.

Should I scoop it up to match with this Sharp?

Thanks.

bdbaba
post #180 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalpunk View Post

Since this is an older unit, would there ever be the possibility of not being able to find a replacement lamp? Is there problems like this with FP.
Thanks,
tony

There s/b plenty of these lamps around for a long time.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page