Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Aloha All,

My PJ arrived today--a day ahead of time! Go UPS. Shipped in the Dealer box--no double box--but it does not look too beat up. I will fire it up tonight and report about noise levels and such in the AM.

By the way, there is a guy selling a three month old Oppo 970 DVD player here on island for $100. I guess he bought a PS3. I think that this is the one that does 480i over HDMI? Also has SACD/DVD Audio.

Should I scoop it up to match with this Sharp?

Thanks.

bdbaba

The sharp doesn't have hdmi, does it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2537 Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister View Post

No it does not.
post #183 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister View Post

No HDMI, but it does have DVI. I had it plugged in via HDMI with a DVI/HDMI adapter tonight. This was from my Panny S97S and from my cable box. I would assume this will work with the Oppo as well. I would like to send the PJ the 480i signal and let it do the scaling.

Too late to get into much, but it is a very nice PJ. It is humongous! Makes my ae900 look like a toy.

The fan is louder then the panny, but from where I have it in the back of the room, not an issue at all. I did not see an option to change the fan speed. Is there one?

It was plenty bright on my painted wall--I actually had the brightness down almost all the way. I put it in economy mode as well, with all the irises engaged. I have not done any calibration yet.

Love the lens shift. Colors are pretty damn good out of the box.

More to follow. Now to sleep.
post #184 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No HDMI, but it does have DVI. I had it plugged in via HDMI with a DVI/HDMI adapter tonight. This was from my Panny S97S and from my cable box. I would assume this will work with the Oppo as well. I would like to send the PJ the 480i signal and let it do the scaling.

Too late to get into much, but it is a very nice PJ. It is humongous! Makes my ae900 look like a toy.

The fan is louder then the panny, but from where I have it in the back of the room, not an issue at all. I did not see an option to change the fan speed. Is there one?

It was plenty bright on my painted wall--I actually had the brightness down almost all the way. I put it in economy mode as well, with all the irises engaged. I have not done any calibration yet.

After I posted, I realized hdmi/dvi connector - doh!

Oh well, thanks for the comments.

post #185 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:

I am also upgrading from an ae900. Is the image sharper with more depth than the panny? When I upgraded from my IF4805 I always missed the 3d like depth and sharpness of DLP.
post #186 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"Is the image sharper with more depth than the panny?"

Yes, but depending upon seating distance you may have more SDE too. I had a touch of VB on the AE900 (couldn't dial it all the way out in the service menus) and of course that is gone with the Sharp as well.

If you are far enough back so SDE isn't a problem and don't see rainbows from a picture quality point of view this is a very nice upgrade over the AE900.

Benefits for the AE900 is it is quieter and also more flexible in installation.

Shawn
post #187 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Shawn,

Have you officially decided to bring yours back? If so, what are you getting to replace it?

Affable Nitwit
post #188 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

"Have you officially decided to bring yours back? If so, what are you getting to replace it?"

I have not decided yet. Trying to spend more time to see if maybe the rainbows will go away. I am still seeing them but they are not quite as distracting as before... though I haven't tried Batman Begins or Serenity again.

The thing throws such a nice picture which is what is making the choice a little bit tougher.

If it goes back I would be going with the JVC RS-1. Which of course will fix the rainbow problem, reduce the SDE, higher resolution, more contrast and should be a little quieter. On the negatives are the potential for shading errors, uncorrectable colors, potential for misconvergence... and 2.25x the cost.

At this point I am leaning toward the JVC but saving the money would be nice too.

Shawn
post #189 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone jumping from a Panasonic 900 even with the filter mods will be blown away with the difference. It's not even close. The image this thing throws is amazing.

Anybody know if there was a big thread over this or the non MKII version? Info seems kinda scarce around here for these. I'd really like to find a way to eliminate the overscan on 1080i signals, as it's adding a fair amount of ringing when being fed 1080i.
post #190 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatenbacktolife View Post

Anyone jumping from a Panasonic 900 even with the filter mods will be blown away with the difference. It's not even close. The image this thing throws is amazing.

Anybody know if there was a big thread over this or the non MKII version? Info seems kinda scarce around here for these. I'd really like to find a way to eliminate the overscan on 1080i signals, as it's adding a fair amount of ringing when being fed 1080i.

There is lots of info in the avs archives.

search in:

archives.avsforum.com

or

archives.avsforum.com

Affable Nitwit
post #191 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogg View Post

If it goes back I would be going with the JVC RS-1. Which of course will fix the rainbow problem, reduce the SDE, higher resolution, more contrast and should be a little quieter. On the negatives are the potential for shading errors, uncorrectable colors, potential for misconvergence... and 2.25x the cost.

It also has bright corners on fade to black, but offers more lumens overall too while delivering higher contrast (at least in the middle).

I hope to see the RS1 also before settling on the Sharp to see how "bad" the RS1 negatives really are. Fortunately I don't see rainbows so that's a bonus for the Sharp.

I'm looking forward to your comparison. Does your RS1 arrive soon?
post #192 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

"It also has bright corners on fade to black, but offers more lumens overall too while delivering higher contrast (at least in the middle)."

Yup, might have that too. It is likely going to be too bright for my setup. I think it is roughly equivalent to the Sharp in high brightness mode. That is painfully bright on the High Power screen. I will have to knock down the JVCs brightness with a ND filter until the lamp dims I think or put a shorter pipe on the Chief mount to get less gain from the screen. That will of course make the blacks blacker too.

"Fortunately I don't see rainbows so that's a bonus for the Sharp."

That is a big bonus. The rainbows are by far my biggest complaint. I'd like less SDE but once I get into a movie I wasn't noticing it as much from the front row. When I looked for it I can easily see it though. A hushbox would take care of the noise.

"Does your RS1 arrive soon?"

I don't really know. If I am in the third batch of pre-orders that should mean second week of May or so.

Shawn
post #193 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are willing to spend the money, the RS1 is a no-brainer. Why put up with rainbows and SDE that are bothering you? I almost jumped on that bandwagon as well. Two things stopped me.

First, I had no idea when I might get one.

Second, I saw the Sharp 20K that some people prefer to the RS1. When I had to look very hard to see a difference between my 12k and the 20k, I decided that maybe I would not get that much of a better picture for the extra dollars that I would have to spend.

If I saw rainbows and sat as close as you do, I would probably feel differently about it.

It is a strange feeling for me to actually be content with the decision NOT to upgrade. Then again, I haven't actually seen an RS1 yet.

Affable Nitwit
post #194 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM

I pulled the trigger on this today. Saw it in the local AVS showroom yesterday, it was selling for 6k. I loved the picture. Also, I would like to thank Lawguy for taking the time yesterday to end my buyers remorse. Seems like to good of deal to be true. Part of the reason I was unsure, if that makes sense. Will probably team this up with a Da-lite HP.

My HT will not be ready till end of May, but should have time to evaluate it in its setting for 30 days or so.

I am looking forward to my new adventure.
-thanks,
tony
post #195 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 10:33 AM

On the rainbows with the 12K, do you have a rough idea of the ftL on the screen? I'm someone for which rainbows becomes a problem only on a bright DLP. With the HP you could try just watching off-axis to see if reduced brightness helps.

And you were dead-on earlier with the comment on HP's gain being the angle from the PJ to screen to person's head. I was just generalizing from my case where the middle of the screen happens to be the best spot for me.

The really great thing about this pj is that the six light level adjustments with iris and lamp mode really let you dial in the brightness. And speaking of filters, running the numbers for my setup I may be able to lose half my high lamp / high contrast lumens to a filter. From the www.cine4home.de Mk I review it looked like the lamp spectrum was a decent match for an FL-D. True contrast of 7000:1 should be enough to hold me off for a cost reduced version of the RS1 (though honestly with little kids around, the idea of hanging $6K on the wall is frightening).

Since we have some AE900 refugees in here, are there any others who will be monkeying with filters on the 12K?
post #196 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

politicalpunk,

I hope that you are happy with your purchase.

Let us know how your home theater is coming and which audio components you choose.

Good luck.

Steve

Affable Nitwit
post #197 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

"On the rainbows with the 12K, do you have a rough idea of the ftL on the screen? I'm someone for which rainbows becomes a problem only on a bright DLP. With the HP you could try just watching off-axis to see if reduced brightness helps."

I ordered a light meter last week but it hasn't come in yet. So just estimates at this point.

I have it on eco mode in high contrast mode near the short end of the throw and it is bright.

If the projector has around 300 lumens in that mode with the new bulb if I'm getting 2.5x gain from the HP in the back row (about 12" below the projector) that is around 38 foot lamberts. If the front row is 1.3x gain it is about 19 foot lamberts. I was watching from the front row last night and still seeing rainbows.

I have a ND2 filter I can try with it. That would give me around 19 ft-l in the back row and about 10 ft-l in the front row. Assuming the lumens from the projector is accurate along with the screen gain.

"Since we have some AE900 refugees in here, are there any others who will be monkeying with filters on the 12K?"

If I end up keeping it I probably will. The 81EF worked well on my AE900.

Shawn
post #198 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 AM

It has arrived. Holy Sh*t is this thing big and heavy! Can't wait to fire it up!
post #199 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchayer View Post

I am also upgrading from an ae900. Is the image sharper with more depth than the panny? When I upgraded from my IF4805 I always missed the 3d like depth and sharpness of DLP.

Hey bqmeister--no problems at all. I think I am going to get the Oppo today. At $100 I do not have much to lose.

dchayer--The picture is very nice on this Sharp. It is definitely better then the Panny, with more depth. However, i can't say I am completely blown away yet. In some ways, the XVZ3K seemed to have a bit more contrast to me then this one, but that could be past imagination. I am going to reserve judgment until I can dial the pic in better.

I am one that sees RBE. I have not seen any with this PJ so far, but i have not watched many movies yet. I guess i should go get the "sin city torture test" and see what happens. On HDTV and such, I have not had any problems yet.

As far as the noise from the fan, because you can have this PJ so far back, it really seems to be a non-issue, for me at least. If it was close by your head, this could be a problem for some. My PJ is about four to five feet back from where I sit. However, this also means that I cannot get as large a picture as I could from the Panny or the XVZ3K of course, but it is big enough. It would have been nice if the zoom was a bit larger, but this is not a big deal at all.

Love the lens shift on this baby!

The XVZ3K seemed to have a better over-scan option. I am curious to hear from anyone that came from a Z3K or DT500 to see how you think they compared to this one.

I do have some questions for people that have one of these already.

Is the only way to work the overs-can with the picture resizing mode on the remote? I did not see any over-scan key in the menu. The XVZ3K seemed to have a better over-scan option. I am curious to hear from anyone that came from a Z3K or DT500 to see how you think they compared to this one.

Is there a way to put the fan in a slower or higher speed, or is it just one speed.

Thanks,

bdbaba
post #200 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

"However, i can't say I am completely blown away yet. In some ways, the XVZ3K seemed to have a bit more contrast to me then this one, but that could be past imagination. I am going to reserve judgment until I can dial the pic in better."

Make sure you put up a gray ramp or black bars or something and adjust brightness/contrast in the menu. Fed from my Lumagen I had to set them to something like +12, -12 with the Lumagen's internal patterns to keep from crushing black/white. That made a big difference in contrast.

"Is there a way to put the fan in a slower or higher speed, or is it just one speed."

Only change in fan speed I have seen so far is with economy mode turned on. If you turn on economy mode after it has been running in full power after a little bit of time the projector backs down the fan speed.

Shawn
post #201 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm at -17 for brightness, and around +9 - 10 for contrast. Color and tint at 0, and sharpness between -7 and -9. The black bars on 2.35 material are very close to the velvet border of my carada BW screen.

bdbaba, the only non overscan option I found is to run your source at 720p, and change the aspect to "dot by dot" mode. You have two aspect choices at 720p, and none at 1080i. So far, 1080i has noticeable ringing for me....I need to start searching the archives to see if you can disable the overscan at 1080, maybe via service menu.
post #202 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You are projecting on a wall, correct? I expect that you need to calibarate around that fact.

As far as I know, there is now way to change the fan speed. Let us know what comes of Sin City.

Affable Nitwit
post #203 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Make sure you put up a gray ramp or black bars or something and adjust brightness/contrast in the menu. Fed from my Lumagen I had to set them to something like +12, -12 with the Lumagen's internal patterns to keep from crushing black/white. That made a big difference in contrast.

Only change in fan speed I have seen so far is with economy mode turned on. If you turn on economy mode after it has been running in full power after a little bit of time the projector backs down the fan speed.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn. I will play around with it.

I do have it set to economy. I also have it in high contrast with all irises engaged. I think my settings that I did on the fly last night were:

Contrast +7
Brightness -23
Sharpness -9

I did not mess with the color at all yet. The colors seem pretty good out of the box--better then the xvz3k, which had a limey green. I had the pic set at the standard I think? Whichever one is D6500K. DOn't get me wrong, I do think the image is very nice--just was not completely floored. Maybe with some adjustments I will get my jaw to drop some more.

bdbaba, the only non overscan option I found is to run your source at 720p, and change the aspect to "dot by dot" mode. You have two aspect choices at 720p, and none at 1080i. So far, 1080i has noticeable ringing for me....I need to start searching the archives to see if you can disable the overscan at 1080, maybe via service menu.

Thanks eatenbacktolife--Our numbers our pretty similar. I did that dot-to-dot thing as well. When the over-scan is on it really eats up the picture space. Let us know what you find out about 1080i.

bdbaba
You are projecting on a wall, correct? I expect that you need to calibarate around that fact.

As far as I know, there is now way to change the fan speed. Let us know what comes of Sin City.

Hey Steve--Hope all is well. Yep. I am just using a wall painted with a bunch of coats of Behr ultra white. I will let you know how "RBE City" is as soon as I get a chance to watch it. On my Bro's H31 it was almost impossible for me to watch. It should be a fun test for the Sharp.

Aloha All!
bdbaba
post #204 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

What resolution are you guys feeding it that lets you adjust the sharpness control?

I feed mine 720p (from a scaler) and the Sharpness control appears to be not available with 720p in. Not that it looks like it needs to be turned down, I haven't seen any ringing.

No overscan and it is mapped 1:1 as confirmed by test patterns.

Shawn
post #205 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

bdbada, I am pretty sure that the color temp setting is independant from the "standard, dynamic, natural" settings. I am pretty sure that I had to dial in the 6500k setting independantly of the color setting. Am I right?

Affable Nitwit
post #206 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker on here and am in the process of redoing my basement. I decided to do a dedicated theater. Through all my reading this seemed like a great deal so I pulled the trigger this morning. Can anyone give me any sugesstions on Screen, chairs etc...?

My room is 14x20 with no windows or any natural lighting. I have been trying to educate myself and thanks to all your posts.

Right now I have ordered the Sharp and have all my audio equipment, but I will need 8 chairs, a screen and any other suggestions.
post #207 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryL View Post

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker on here and am in the process of redoing my basement. I decided to do a dedicated theater. Through all my reading this seemed like a great deal so I pulled the trigger this morning. Can anyone give me any sugesstions on Screen, chairs etc...?

My room is 14x20 with no windows or any natural lighting. I have been trying to educate myself and thanks to all your posts.

Right now I have ordered the Sharp and have all my audio equipment, but I will need 8 chairs, a screen and any other suggestions.

The Dalite High Power is a very popular screen. I use it and really love it. Check out the Screens thread for a very detailed discussion of it. It does not work for everyone but if you can mount your projector near eye level, it helps create a really great image.

Seating is a very personal thing. There is no right answer. Check out the Theater Items and Accessories forum for the discussions there. Some AVS-affiliated companies run power-buys on seating on a regular basis. You can get a good price on those deals.

Affable Nitwit
post #208 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

bdbada, I am pretty sure that the color temp setting is independant from the "standard, dynamic, natural" settings. I am pretty sure that I had to dial in the 6500k setting independantly of the color setting. Am I right?

I think it happens automatically depending on which one you choose. Some of them were at 8500k or something like that. I picked the one that was at 6500k--I think that was standar, but it could have been natural? Anyone remember which is which? I bet you can dial it in yourself as well, but i just went for the stock setting right now.

Did you use any of the other options like that white emphasis?
post #209 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

The Dalite High Power is a very popular screen. I use it and really love it. Check out the Screens thread for a very detailed discussion of it. It does not work for everyone but if you can mount your projector near eye level, it helps create a really great image.

Seating is a very personal thing. There is no right answer. Check out the Theater Items and Accessories forum for the discussions there. Some AVS-affiliated companies run power-buys on seating on a regular basis. You can get a good price on those deals.

Noticed you were trying to sell your Sharp XV-Z12000 back in February. Did you sell it? You seem pretty high on this projector but I noticed the comment
"I am determined to sell it and be done with it all by Wednesday"
Was their a negative about this projector that was causing your need to get rid of it?
post #210 of 2537 Old 04-11-2007, 02:36 PM

I have it mounted and am now watching Discovery HD. This thing trounces my old panny ae900! It is a little loader but the picture is amazing. What a bargain.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page