Official Sony VPL-AW15 Projector Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Keep it right at the default or just within 5 points higher if you don't want to see the iris working. Pushing it for lower black level will slow down the step down process.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
Big question for everyone that I haven't seen answered much... what mounts are you guys using? I read that someone said that a mount for an HS10\\HS20 would work. I am looking at mountdirect.com right now and they don't list the HS10\\HS20 under Sony mounts. I am stuck on dial-up at the moment so any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I needed a wall mount so I just bought something like this tube TV wall-mount from home depot, inverted it and drilled holes which lined up with my projector. You have to be careful to keep everything level but it works pretty well.... and is dirt cheap.

However, I did that back when projector mounts cost over $150. Now there are quite a few universal mounts for <$100.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 PM

I am about to purchase this projector at a local store. Can anyone comment on the brightness? Can this projector be used with ambient light in the room? What type of screen would work best with this projector for viewing sports, hdtv and movies?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, no projector is going to look good with direct light hitting the screen. But you can get a usable image with some ambient light assuming you optimize your setup. A few simple steps:

1. Absolutely no direct sunlight. You will never have a good image if sun is hitting your screen. Heavy drapes or blackout blinds (the vinyl roller kind) are best for blocking sunlight. Venetian (slat) blinds can help but you'll definitely be left wanting. I live in an apartment with venetian blinds, so I added blackout vinyl rollers behind them. You can't see them at all when they are retracted and they are comparatively pretty cheap.

2. You can add some ambient light in the room so people aren't bumping into each other, but again, nothing directly shining on the screen. The best option would be lights behind the screen (if you have a pull down). However, you can also get away with downward firing can lights built into the ceiling or possibly lamps with dark shades so the light fires up/down but not sideways.

3. Finally, get a screen with ambient light rejection properties. White screens are the worst as any light in the room will light them right up. Grey screens can help dull the impact of ambient light but they also dull the impact of your projector brightness by an equal amount. The best screens, are screens with gain properties as they reflect the light coming from the projector back to a specific area (your couch for instance) instead of scattering it all over the room. They have problems, however, as unless your projector is far away from the screen, you can end up with a "hot spot" which is brighter then the rest of the image. This happens because in short throw situations, your lens is physically closer to the center of the screen than the edges so that part of the screen ends up with more gain. High gain screens can also be a problem because the higher the gain, the narrower the viewing sweet spot. If you leave the sweet spot, brightness falls off... sometimes dramatically and often at different levels across the screen (ie one side becomes brighter than the other as you are still in the sweet spot for half the screen).

There is one high gain screen, however, that is great at rejecting ambient light, doesn't hot spot at short throws, and has even brightness across the screen no matter where you sit... even outside the sweet spot. Go to the screen forum and you find pretty much nothing but praise for the Da-Lite Hi-Power screen (2.8 gain). It is a glass bead retro-reflective screen, so it shines light back to the source instead of angular-reflective which bounces light like a mirror (most high gain screens are angular reflective, hence the problems outlined above). This is great for ambient light so long as you keep lamps and other light sources way off to the side of the screen... it will literally bounce the light from those sources back to the source instead of to the viewer and ruining the picture. The potential hang-up is that it also bounces the projector light back to the source so you ideally want your eyeballs as close to the projector as possible to be in the sweet spot. Usually that means a table mount or a wall mount just above/behind your head if you can swing it. If you can't, however, it still can work well, it will just be dimmer. I have a high wall mount (for all practical purposes, a ceiling mount as the projector is 6 inches from the ceiling) and still use a Hi-power because it is so good at rejecting ambient light and it doesn't show waves like most pull-down screens do. Because my head is about 3-4 feet below the projector, I don't get the full 2.8 gain, but I still probably get about 1.2-1.5 gain... i.e. it is still brighter than a white screen but I get all the other benefits of a retro-reflective screen. And the best part is, even if you have people sitting way off to the side, while it may be slightly less bright than a regular white screen, it still has even brightness across the screen.

Others may disagree, but if you have pretty much any setup other than a dedicated theater with bat-cave like light control, I doubt the Hi-power can be beat for overall picture quality for the vast majority of setups. Another plus... they are pretty cheap in pull-down form (~$150-$250 for 92" - 106" diagonal screens). You can also get free samples by calling Da-Lite but it is very hard to get the full effect until you see the whole screen.

Hope that helps.
-Matt
Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

This thing is plenty bright I run a 106" da-lite HP screen and the image is very nice, but if you are a real black level fan go with a 1.3 gain and I am sure you will be pleased. As with any projector avoid ambient light if you can I just run mine at night and there isnt a problem. My finance can still do her studying directly to the right of the screen and the image is still viewable but a little washed out. In high power mode it is even twice as bright it's no panasonic light cannon but it does give a nice image and that is what counts . Just got done watching a little Star Wars 4 and 5 and that was satisfying on such a large screen, although older dvds upconverted dont look as good as the newer ones, it was still great.

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjohnst View Post

I needed a wall mount so I just bought something like this tube TV wall-mount from home depot, inverted it and drilled holes which lined up with my projector. You have to be careful to keep everything level but it works pretty well.... and is dirt cheap.

However, I did that back when projector mounts cost over $150. Now there are quite a few universal mounts for <$100.

Actually I am looking at a ceiling mount as that is the only thing that will work. So do I have to get a universal mount for this guy or are there other mounts that will work? I would still like to get a mount from mountdirect.com if I can as the prices are very reasonable, but what one of mountdirect.com's models will work with the vpl-aw15?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info mpjohnst & rahimlee54.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM

In a light controlled room, and the smallest possible screen size, would the AW15 give a suitable image with a long throw, say 18-20'? This would about ~120" diag, give or take. Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

120 diag is too large imo for any 720p pj.
You can install the pj at a smaller throw in the middle of the room (say about 13~14')and actually have more lumen out of it.

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

I dont think the AW15 could handle that, in low lamp mode, and still be satisfying. If you wanted to go to high lamp mode and just buy more lamps that would work, or you should just try to get the panasonic and hope for no issues. I love my AW15 if anyone wants xbox screenshots just let me know and I can post them.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 PM

Hey guys! I finally got a great price on this pj and ordered it. It will be here in about a week. I also got a 92" Da-lite HP. Seating is about at 13 feet and the projector will be at 14 feet. I will be hooking it up to a HD STB and a HD DVD player(XA2) and perhaps a xbox 360.

Can't wait to try it all out. Let me know what some of you think in terms of basic calibration for this unit.

HT Installer Chicago Land
Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Low lamp, hi alt fan speed, cinema mode, black level off, contrast 90 and the rest at default. Enjoy it for now and calibrate later.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

120 diag is too large imo for any 720p pj.
You can install the pj at a smaller throw in the middle of the room (say about 13~14')and actually have more lumen out of it.

Caspian.What do you mean by a 120in is to large for any 720p.Was that a typo.I know the new 1080p lcd would not be wise but alot of the 720 have plenty of lumes.THANKS BOB
Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

No typo. It is just my experience that 720 pixel density is not enough for that kinda size.
You will lose saturation, depth and so forth as well as sitting distance becomes problematic. Lumen consideration has nothing to do with resolution of the pj whether it is 720 or 1080.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Another member wanted me to post some xbox360 shots so I figured I put them up tonight. The pictures are bad and I am about 3 feet closer than where I sit but hopefully they will do . As always they look better in person and the camera doesnt do them justice, it is a 5 MP camera my girlfriend has:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Some from HS51a...AW-15 should do better.
All in cinema mode, unaltered images taken with 8 megpx canon reduced to 800x600.
There are some shutter interference.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

I was just wondering how often I should clean my filter and what method I use to clean it, the canned air?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
mjn

In the past Sony filters have been purely replacements, no cleaning. About every 1K hours.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post

In the past Sony filters have been purely replacements, no cleaning. About every 1K hours.

Yup... 1500 hours according to the manual. Here is a more detail from an older post in this thread.
-Matt
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

No typo. It is just my experience that 720 pixel density is not enough for that kinda size.
You will lose saturation, depth and so forth as well as sitting distance becomes problematic. Lumen consideration has nothing to do with resolution of the pj whether it is 720 or 1080.

Thanks I got you now.Never really thought of that.Good points.BOB
Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

I didnt read anything about cleaning in the manual, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I have been considering this projector for about a month now and after reading all 25 pages of posts, I think I am going to pull the trigger.

I have been "planning" a dedicated HT for way too long now and one of the things that had me stalled was trying to find exactly the right pj; you know, just the right for my room, well-reviewed, bang for the buck, etc. Too much research, not enough big-screen film time. Along comes this Sony and it seems like it was custom made for a guy like me: I'm a discerning audiophile, not entirely new to the HT game, but this will be my first pj.

It seems very good, if not great, at most things, in other words a "balanced" pj; easy to set up, and the price is certainly right. I was going to get a Pearl, but the way I look at it, I might as well wade-in at 720p, let the 1080p market settle down some (and hopefully prices will come down as well), and in maybe 2 years, just as I'm starting to think about what I might have done differently if I had it all to do over again, it'll be the right time to upgrade and get into 1080p.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys regarding screen, tweaking, mounting, room, etc. For now, I'm getting the pj so I can figure some of those others out, so I'll start with this: I've read about some of the bad samples out there...should I save a few bucks and order online (reputable, authorized dealer of course) or go BB?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

CDLehner

A guy I work with said that BB doesnt even keep the projectors in stock, but I cant vouch for how true that statement is. If they dont keep them in stock they would just be ordering them from Sony I guess. I ordered mine online and there is nothing wrong with it at all and I got a little off the MSRP as well. If you want addtional info just shoot me a PM.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

My local BB stock them. Just go to local BB and see they have one.
If their price is right for you get it locally and make sure they take returns and exchanges w/o restocking an have them write on the proof of purchase.
Having exchanges on mail order is a headacke and they do change their tune sometime when you call them back and want to return for refund and exchanges take forever.
Mail/phone/web orders are fine as long as you know the implications.
If you are on bb's mail list, they send 10% off and 12% for reward. That adds up.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post

CDLehner

A guy I work with said that BB doesnt even keep the projectors in stock, but I cant vouch for how true that statement is. If they dont keep them in stock they would just be ordering them from Sony I guess. I ordered mine online and there is nothing wrong with it at all and I got a little off the MSRP as well. If you want addtional info just shoot me a PM.

I picked up an AW15 today (long story) from my local bestbuy, just add it to your cart online then check local pickup for stock at your store. They wouldnt take my reward zone coupon sadly but its on sale and it comes with 3yrs interest free finance.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the other reasons I might have mentioned in my earlier post, as to why this PJ should work out nicely for me, is I plan to watch 95-97% movies (maybe a Super Bowl or HD sporting event here or there...I don't even know if I'll install an STB initially) and my room is totally light controlled. I mean that's about the only real knock against this thing, is it's not a light canon, right?

Well, that and the SDE thing...which brings me to this second post: initially, I was dead set on buying the pj and screen and working the rest of the room around that. Of course it's a little bass-ackwards, and I was trying to find "just the right screen" without even having built the screen-wall frame or hung the first piece of sheetrock. At first I hoping to go as BIG as possible and was thinking 110" (d). After thinking about my room dimensions, seating positions, wall width, etc. I had "settled" on 106". But after everything that I've read about this pj, that's probably a little ambitious, huh?

I've got an A-frame, walk-up attic and the finished dimensions of the HT will be ~18' x 12' (w), with my seating positions probably at about 11' and 17'. Now I'd probably have no problem from the back row, even at 106" (106d is 92w...92 x 1.8 = ~165...165 / 12 = ~14'), but I'd likely have SDE from the closer front row, right? On the other hand, if it's mostly me and the little missus, and we can hog the back row, and when we do have company they just have to stand a little SDE...lol...should I opt to go as big as the optimum seat position will allow, or cater to the worst seats in the house? Also keeping in mind, like I mentioned earlier, I plan (like everyone else I'm sure) to upgrade to 1080p in the not-too-distant future, so do you future-proof or buy for your pj now? I've sort of been through this ad nauseam in Screens and even my Construction thread, but I figured why not get it right from the horses mouth. What's my sweet spot here guys?

While I'm at it, I guess I should ask about gain: of course I hear great things about Da-Lite High Power, in general, and it seems some people even like it with this pj. Others say it defeats the very strength of this pj, and that a 1.3 gain should be plenty. With my room, which has great light control, where should I be looking? Lots of questions I know...have pity on the poor newbie.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

At 14' you should be ok in terms of sde. I use 110" unity and plenty bright at least not dim at near 400 hrs and it is HS51A with 135W lamp. Aw15 is brighter. Get that 110" and stick to 1.3~5 gain. With two row seat arrangement you will limit the brightness cone for your second row if you install the pj at the end of the room and worse any closer. And rear wall installtion means less light output by about 20%.
Plan on least throw and a quality 1.3 gain and you will be amazed how good this pj is hours after hours.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

I am right at 13-14 feet from a 106 inch high power and I can only see SDE on the common things like text and if i look hard in bright scenes so I wouldnt really worry about SDE unless it bothers you alot but if SDE is your enemy you should probably be looking at 1080p or DLP right?

Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok Guys, help me out here...I was all set to take the plunge on the AW15 and I have documented some of the reasons why; just seems like a nice, easy-out-of-the-box, balanced, good first pj choice. My room is light-controlled, so I don't need to worry about getting a light canon, and I'm prepared to work-around or deal with any SDE. Oh, and the price is GREAT, so it was the right time to stop planning and start watching.

But the more I read, this thread aside, the lukewarm reviews of the AW15 and read stellar things about the Z5, the more I am hedging my bet. Obviously you guys chose the AW15; was it just a matter of the approximately $600 difference in price?

I plan to post an AW15 v. Z5 poll in the general, where I suspect the Sony will get killed. I think there's a reason Sony sometimes gets an unfair wrap; let's face it, among Internet-aficionado types, finding the hidden gem is king...a real coo. You don't get a whole lot of style points for saying good things about a product as mainstream as a Sony Bravia pj. So I want to hear actual owners of this pj defend it. Caspian, you seem to be the staunchest supporter of this pj...thoughts about how it stacks up against the Z5 and why you went with the Sony?

Thanks,
CD