Z1 to Z5 upgrade- want your opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been thinking about this for a while (upgrading from my current Z1). When I got my Z1 last year, I figured I would use it until the 1080's come down in price however Z5 prices keep getting better. I've now got several HD sources (DishHD, HD-DVD and TWC-HD). Other than SD-DVD's, I find myself only watching HD content.

I've got a DIY JoAnn Fabrics blackout cloth screen at the moment- may upgrade this soon. The Z1 is my first PJ so of course I think it looks amazing. I sit about 11 ft from the screen. The Z1 prob only has 300 hours on it. Money is really not a big factor- other than I don't want to feel like I wasted $1200 after getting it.

I realize you will be providing opinions- this is exactly what I want.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it will be a big upgrade in every respect--color, contrast, resolution, screen door. If money is not an object, I don't think you will be dissapointed.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Liked: 13
How long have you had the Z1? 300 hours seems awfully low for bulb hours to be replacing it. If you think it looks great and it has tons of life in it left, why replace it?

Cheers
post #4 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

If money's not a big factor, jump on the 1080p bandwagon! Epson is about to release an under 3k 1080p projector and it seems pretty good from the looks of it. That would be my advice, although I have owned a Z4 and can vouch that it's pretty damn good and the Z5 can only be better.

BD- 134
HD DVD- 98

"I have been told by a very reliable contact that Universal should announce neutrality during CES 2008..." -beatboy77
post #5 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uabcar View Post

I've been thinking about this for a while (upgrading from my current Z1). When I got my Z1 last year, I figured I would use it until the 1080's come down in price however Z5 prices keep getting better. I've now got several HD sources (DishHD, HD-DVD and TWC-HD). Other than SD-DVD's, I find myself only watching HD content.

I've got a DIY JoAnn Fabrics blackout cloth screen at the moment- may upgrade this soon. The Z1 is my first PJ so of course I think it looks amazing. I sit about 11 ft from the screen. The Z1 prob only has 300 hours on it. Money is really not a big factor- other than I don't want to feel like I wasted $1200 after getting it.

I realize you will be providing opinions- this is exactly what I want.

What would you do?

With Sony and Epson recent announcement/releases, you may want to wait until more facts are released about the Z6 and the next gen Panny. I know there's always another product revision around the corner, but I am going to wait until some solid info about the Z6 is released, then decide on the Z5.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait for the 1080. I have a Z1 and my friend went from the Z1 to Z5. Obviously it does look better but HD content pretty damn good on the Z1 as well. I would do something else with the money or save it and wait for the 1080.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
uabcar, I'm exactly in the same boat. I agree the Z1 looks very good, but "amazing"? I know, it's your first. It's all relative. I also built a DIY blockout cloth screen. I'm torn between the AX100, Z5, Eps TW700, etc. which all have rebates - pretty compelling. Then the Sony AW15 is coming on the scene. And the 1080 pj's which some are arguing to go for. My issue with the Z1 is brightness, contrast/shadow detail, and SDE -- all of which will be solved with any new pj. I just have to see it with my own eyes. Wish I could take my Z1 to someone's house -- someone who has a new pj -- a true A-B comparison.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Since I'm relatively new to PJs, I'm probably not even really sure what I'm missing relative to things like brightness, black level, SDE, contract etc. I've seen a Sony Pearl in person and it looked very close to plasma levels but it's also in a different price class. I know I should not expect a Z5 to look as good given it 1/3 the price.

Guess ignorance is bliss ;-)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The guy who sits next to me here coincedentally enough upgraded from the Z1 to the Z5 a little over a month ago.
Said the difference in picture quality was amazing. His other note was, with the Z1 he could only use it at night when the lights were out. With his Z5, he's watching stuff during the day.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2007, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

During a weak moment today I put the order through. Ordered through Visual Apex. Seemed like a good deal given the $300 in rebates. A family member will likely buy my Z1 for $300 or so. Figured that since almost everything I watch is HD, I might as well get it.

I'm in OH, any ideas how long it will take to get here. They day 5-7 days. Looks like they are in Seattle.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page