Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EDIT: Going to get it serviced.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Moderately common. Worst is "stuck on" pixels. I had one stuck red on my last LCD. But my DLP has some lazy mirrors, so both technologies have issues with this. Remember how many of them there are, hundreds or thousands+
post #3 of 25 Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hopefully Sanyo does me right.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #4 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Good luck to you. That's what scared me away from LCD's. Also vertical banding.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Good luck to you. That's what scared me away from LCD's. Also vertical banding.

So you now own a CRT ?
post #6 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennRW View Post

So you now own a CRT ?

Well said.

On a side note, to the original poster, a dead/stuck pixel will look like a pinpoint on your screen. Nothing larger than the tip of a ball-point pen.
If what you are seeing is larger than that, you've got some other issue.

On a side note, over the past couple of years - the odds of you seeing a dead pixel on a home theater projector is almost to the point of improbable if not impossible.

I see thousands of projectors go out on a monthly basis and can't think of the last time I heard of one coming back with a dead/stuck pixel. It's been at least a year.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

It is far more common on LCD monitors and televisions. The worst part is that the industry deems a certain number of dead and stuck pixels "acceptable" and won't exchange them under their warranties. That is why I would never buy one.

But my LCD projector has been flawless and I am very happy I bought one.

John
post #8 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

It is far more common on LCD monitors and televisions. The worst part is that the industry deems a certain number of dead and stuck pixels "acceptable" and won't exchange them under their warranties. That is why I would never buy one.

But my LCD projector has been flawless and I am very happy I bought one.

John

Do you mean far more noticable??...I would think an lcd projector would be just as likely as a larger lcd....
BTW knock on wood both my dlps have been great in this regard for the last 4 years...but I have had a dead pixel on the computer monitor (LCD) since I got it used about three years ago.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 05:38 AM

Liked: 11
Stuck or "dead" pixels are largely an LCD problem. While DLPs can have mirror issues, it's extremely rare. This is why Optoma can offer a 2 year "zero dead pixels" warranty on their DLP PJs. Try getting that from an LCD manufacturer!
post #10 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Stuck or "dead" pixels are largely an LCD problem. While DLPs can have mirror issues, it's extremely rare. This is why Optoma can offer a 2 year "zero dead pixels" warranty on their DLP PJs. Try getting that from an LCD manufacturer!

What?????????

You do realize LCD manufacturers offer it as well ... right?

(Epson ... Panasonic ... Hitachi ... heck, the only manufacturer I can think of who would openly state a dead pixel is "ok" on a LCD projector would be Sanyo. But even they will swap out a LCD block if you complain under warranty of a dead/stuck pixel)

And if you think there is less opportunity for a stuck mirror on a DLP, you are sadly mistaken. TI just has an easier method of testing them during production. Thus, they are weeded out sooner.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I've owned a Sony, a Sharp and now a Yamaha lcd and have not encountered a dead pixel. Just luck ? I don't know. I also own a dlp and it doesn't have any stuck mirrors.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericbres View Post

What?????????

You do realize LCD manufacturers offer it as well ... right?

(Epson ... Panasonic ... Hitachi ... heck, the only manufacturer I can think of who would openly state a dead pixel is "ok" on a LCD projector would be Sanyo. But even they will swap out a LCD block if you complain under warranty of a dead/stuck pixel)

And if you think there is less opportunity for a stuck mirror on a DLP, you are sadly mistaken. TI just has an easier method of testing them during production. Thus, they are weeded out sooner.

It's been my understanding that virtually all LCD display manufacturers claim a certain number of "stuck" pixels to be within spec. The forum is full of people complaining about lack of warranty service for only one or two dead pixels. If I'm wrong please provide a link to the manufacturers warranty page where it states "zero dead pixels". This has been a major factor in my continued support of DLP, any clarification would be helpful!
post #13 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been my understanding that virtually all LCD display manufacturers claim a certain number of "stuck" pixels to be within spec. The forum is full of people complaining about lack of warranty service for only one or two dead pixels. If I'm wrong please provide a link to the manufacturers warranty page where it states "zero dead pixels". This has been a major factor in my continued support of DLP, any clarification would be helpful!

800/639-3010 .... ask for Technical Support or Service department. Ask them what happens if you buy a Panasonic AX100U from them and receive it w/ a dead pixel.

Buy a projector from bob's camera in the Bronx? Yes - the manufacturer is going to tell you that you are out of luck if you have a dead pixed.

Buy a projector from an authorized dealer and no manufacturer that I can think of will leave you hanging with a dead pixel. I can speak with direct experience on Panasonic home theater projectors, Sanyo home theater projectors, Epson home theater projectors and Hitachi home theater projectors.

In print, yes, many will leave an open window just in case. Basically it is my understanding in talking with various service managers with the manufacturers, this is for the "big box" stores who wouldn't be able to handle the returns/exchanges. Assuming your average consumer who buys from "big box" America doesn't know what a dead pixel is anyway.

However - where you listed Optoma for DLP, I'll at least throw out a LCD - Epson.
Check their home cinema lineup. No dead pixels for the lifetime of the warranty.

Hope this helps!
post #14 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The forum is full of people complaining about lack of warranty service for only one or two dead pixels.

On a side note, and to address this seperately ...

I will argue, as I have for the past 4 years or so on here, that these folks are unfortunate victims of dealing with the wrong dealer or getting the wrong support person on the phone.

I worked directly in technical support handling initial problems with projectors for my first 2 years of working in the industry.
I can count on 1 hand (after chopping off 3 fingers) the amount of times I've had to tell someone "sorry, you will have to deal with that dead/stuck pixel. It is natural and not covered under warranty." In each instance - it was a Sony.

99.999% of the time it was as quick and painless as "let me email you a shipping label Mr Customer - we'll get a new unit out to you ASAP".
post #15 of 25 Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM

I read the warranty on their website, but I didn't find anything regarding stuck pixels, just the standard 2 year warranty and disclaimers. Where exactly did you find this?
post #16 of 25 Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

It seems like the LCD mfg. have gotten the dead pixel thing pretty much under control. In the past three years I have had two computer monitors, one LCD 32 inch tv and two Sanyo projectors and have not seen any dead pixels. It's almost a non issue.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read the warranty on their website, but I didn't find anything regarding stuck pixels, just the standard 2 year warranty and disclaimers. Where exactly did you find this?

If you honestly can't find it ... I'll post it when I get back to the office on Monday morning.
I heard the words come directly from the mouth of Jeff w/ Epson when he was in showing us the Epson 800 when it was new ... the Epson 800 HQV when he came in to do a side by side ... and the Epson 1080 when he brought it in as a product release.

To be honest, you seem to have been around for a while. I am quite shocked that this is "new news" to you. Seriously. Epson's no-dead-pixel policy is as "understood" as the comment the sky is blue.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you honestly can't find it ... I'll post it when I get back to the office on Monday morning.
I heard the words come directly from the mouth of Jeff w/ Epson when he was in showing us the Epson 800 when it was new ... the Epson 800 HQV when he came in to do a side by side ... and the Epson 1080 when he brought it in as a product release.

To be honest, you seem to have been around for a while. I am quite shocked that this is "new news" to you. Seriously. Epson's no-dead-pixel policy is as "understood" as the comment the sky is blue.

It is a bigger problem with TVs and computer monitors especially the latter. I haven't read reports about the projectors having the problem (mine doesn't).

Virtually all of the manufacturers have the disclaimers and the biggest consumer complaints come from computer monitor owners. I believe the industry sticks it to the public because they buy the panels from outsourced companies so who do they take it out on? - you.

John
post #19 of 25 Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra View Post

It seems like the LCD mfg. have gotten the dead pixel thing pretty much under control. In the past three years I have had two computer monitors, one LCD 32 inch tv and two Sanyo projectors and have not seen any dead pixels. It's almost a non issue.

Non-issue?

Completely false. Go check User Reviews at places that sell them and see for yourself. (TVs and computer monitors)

John
post #20 of 25 Old 04-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint, but I have never "understood" Epsons policy on dead pixels! I have always believed that if it isn't spelled out in the warranty, then you're on your own with regards to service. If it indeed states that they will repair even 1 dead pixel then yes, please post it, as it would be very useful to those interested in LCD.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

Non-issue?

Completely false. Go check User Reviews at places that sell them and see for yourself. (TVs and computer monitors)

John

Well, it's a non issue in my case! I can't speak for others. My mistake.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-15-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
well I traded my blackberry in two weeks ago because of a error caused by a design flaw and low and behold there's a deadpixel almostdead center on my new one... I think its just a hit or miss thing....
post #23 of 25 Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Were you able to find that link to the no dead pixels warranty? This would be great news, especially in light of the recently introduced Home Cinema 1080 PJ. Without the worry of dead pixels that PJ sounds like a winner!
post #24 of 25 Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 AM

Hmmm, maybe Epson doesn't offer a "no dead pixel" warranty after all, bummer!
post #25 of 25 Old 04-17-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't care what people on the phone might say about dead pixels. If it's not in writing on official documentation, it's worthless.

Unfortunately, Mitsubishi is in the crowd that claims up to a certain percentage of dead pixels as "normal". But I wasn't too worried since I got a DLP projector from Mitsubishi - and all the mirrors are fine.

While I haven't monitored these forums every day for the past several years, I remember seeing only one thread regarding a dead DLP pixel.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page