Infocus LP350 RS232 adaptor for firmware upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I know the LP350 is very dated now, but I'm calling out LP350 owners who may own the RS232 serial adaptor required to upgrade the firmware or the proprietary 5 Pin Mini Din to DB9 serial cable for the Cablewizard 1 and 2...

I'm willing to pay for it if you are selling it and I'm willing to pay to borrow it and send it back to you.

I've got a Cablewizard 2 but do not have the rare proprietary serial cable required to connect via RS232 DB9 serial.

If anyone has either adaptor or serial cable for sale, rent or can even provide the pinouts for either adaptor, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm running firmware 1.8 and 2.1 has better lamp life. I recently exploded my lamp and I have a new one I just installed but would prefer to upgrade to 2.1 before I begin using it. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If you find the cable I'd be interested too for my LP330 firmware upgrade
post #3 of 15 Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely.

Even if I only obtain the pinout info, I'd be happy and can construct my own adaptor or cables. Thanks in advance!
post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I guess, nobody has this cable or adaptor anymore?

I'm going to get a male Mini Din 5 pin connector this weekend along with a DB9 connector... armed with a multi-meter, I'm going to attempt to locate the pinouts... I figure as long as I match the ground and 5v connections, the tx rx being swapped around may not harm anything...

The local Infocus Service center will not perform the upgrade as they stopped servicing the LP350 last summer. I don't want to send my PJ to Projector Doctor, though they mentioned that they potentially have access to firmware upgrades that are not offered on the Infocus site... might be hogwash but who knows.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

what u need is the Infocus SP-DVI-D or M1 -> DVI & USB cable $59
but hey go instead to MonoPrice $6.73
post #6 of 15 Old 04-28-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Mouw, thanks for the tip. I actually already have this cable but when you plug in LP350 via the USB it shows up on the computer as an HID device (mouse control) and the Infocus upgrade software does not see it as it needs to link via a Comm port (1-4).

The instructions for the LP350 firmware upgrade specifically state that you need either the Cablewizard / RS232 adaptor or a Cablewizard / Cablewizard2 with an Infocus (prorietary / discontinued) serial cable.

I basically need a terminal connection and to be able to send terminal commands to it and the older LP350 cannot accept this through the USB port...
post #7 of 15 Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

yes....it seems i didn't go far enough
even Infocus on their SUPPORT PAGE give the WRONG cable
actually now i remember.....Infocus did the FirmWare upgrade for me
after they put in a NEW power supply (their answer to Y the Lamp blew with only 450 hours)
my experience with Null modem without handshaking for FW upgrades
is you only need 3 wires.... since you know the Ground already, u might be able to guess the other connections for Infocus special connector.
OR better yet.....just call INFOCUS Technical Support and ask them to give you the PIN out for their silly connector, especially since they NO longer sell the adapter. All some1 has to do is Look in Repair Manual for Ground-Rx-Tx

another thought-- ask Leckian (member avsforums)
i believe he also had the LP350 at 1 time.....and he may have done FW upgrade
post #8 of 15 Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Mouw!

I'll try the 3 wire combination. I've detected -8.9v from 2 of the wires from the 5 Pin Mini Din when the Infocus PJ powers up.

I've also detected a -5.4v from the TxD pin and 6.1v from both the RTS and DTR pins from the laptop's DB9 connector when I initiate the "detect / download" button in the Infocus Firware update software. That leads me to suspect that Flow Control of some kind may need to be present... or this could be a Red Herring...

Infocus basically said, get a new PJ or go away and that they have no data on the pinouts. I'll call back and be a bit more forceful this time...
post #9 of 15 Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Leckian is helping me look for the adaptor. I'm still trying the pinouts but no success yet... going to try some more combinations tonight...
post #10 of 15 Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

After I sent a letter to Infocus with regards to my issue with the LP350, they responded and provided me with a schematic / design doc of the 210-0107-00 serial cable that connects to the Cablewizard.

After looking at that diagram, I realized that there was no way I could have figured it out by just trying different pin permutations... there is a loop connection at the DB9 connector that I would not have figured out...
post #11 of 15 Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Final update...

With the schematic, I was able to create the proper adaptor from the Cablewizard to my laptop and performed the 2.1 firmware update. The Windows program is too old and will not work properly in Win XP. Probably needs Win2000 or Win 98... I created a boot CDROM and put the LP350 2.1 update programs on it. It came with a command line updater. I ran the batch file and the upgrade worked flawlessly.

I immediately noticed that the internal fans ran faster and confimed from Infocus today that it is the fan algorithm that is updated in the 2.1 firmware to increase the speed and increase cooling. I am going to try to increase airflow externally as well to help.

According to Infocus, the power supply issue was a supplier issue rather than a flawed design. They had to change suppliers of the PS unit and thus were forced to change the design specs of the lamps. The old PS with old Lamps are compatible and will work fine with the updated 2.1 firmware. The newer PS requires the newer Lamps to be compatible and will also benefit from the 2.1 firmware.

That's it... I'll by a new PJ when this lamp dies... hopefully in 1-2 years...
post #12 of 15 Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Hi, I'd also be interested in buying, borrowing (and returning), renting, a cable to update the firmware on my Infocus LP350. Even I had the schematics I might be able to havea cable made to do it. Thanks much.

John
post #13 of 15 Old 08-16-2007, 08:23 PM

Hi there,

I own the Infocus LP350 projector as well and looking for a way to upgrade the firmware for a longtime. Is there anyway, I can borrow a cable and return it once I upgrade the firmware or I am willing to pay as well.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post

Final update...

With the schematic, I was able to create the proper adaptor from the Cablewizard to my laptop and performed the 2.1 firmware update. The Windows program is too old and will not work properly in Win XP. Probably needs Win2000 or Win 98... I created a boot CDROM and put the LP350 2.1 update programs on it. It came with a command line updater. I ran the batch file and the upgrade worked flawlessly.

I immediately noticed that the internal fans ran faster and confimed from Infocus today that it is the fan algorithm that is updated in the 2.1 firmware to increase the speed and increase cooling. I am going to try to increase airflow externally as well to help.

According to Infocus, the power supply issue was a supplier issue rather than a flawed design. They had to change suppliers of the PS unit and thus were forced to change the design specs of the lamps. The old PS with old Lamps are compatible and will work fine with the updated 2.1 firmware. The newer PS requires the newer Lamps to be compatible and will also benefit from the 2.1 firmware.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi I found your post while looking for a pinout for a LP330, Im not sure if they are the same, but you would mind sharing the cable pinout / schematic? I called Infocus and they said they do not have the docs anymore since the projector was made in 1999 time frame.

Thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post

Final update...

post #15 of 15 Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM

I hate to revive an old thread but I'm actually in need of this same cable to update the firmware on a LP350 that I have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP