post #91 of 100 Old 05-25-2007, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister View Post

I think you have that backwards.

You are right. Should be 3000 in enonomy and 2000 in normal. I should also add that with the 12K I believe at 1900 hours a warning light comes on reminding the user to replace the bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 05-25-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by erniec View Post

I hate to spend other folks money but I feel that at this level HD-DVD or Blue-Ray is mandatory. My experience was that going from the AX100 to the 12K the improvement in HD was greater than with SD. I don't think it has anything to do with scaling or deinterlacing I just think that the 12k is more resolving and thrives on state of the art source material.

I have a five year old Denon Reciever and I use coaxial for my 5.1 audio with my Toshiba XA1 and it works great. I am pretty sure that Best Buys has the A2 on sale with rebate for $200 plus 3 or 5 free HD-DVD's I think the sale ends this Sat.

Don't let the tale (audio compromises) wag the dog (state of the art video).

Yes, they have the A2 but it doesn't have 5.1 outs I think...not sure if they sell the XA2 but if so its more like $700...I can't wait until players with analogue outs and 1080P become affordable...should just be a few more minutes...
post #93 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Any comments on the scaling performance of these projectors? My PJ is fed signals from 480i on up.

Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Any comments on the scaling performance of these projectors? My PJ is fed signals from 480i on up.

Thanks,

Scaling is pretty mediocre on the AX100. I saw lots of jaggies, blocking, etc. My older HS10 had much better scaling IMO. The Sharp 12K OTOH has fantastic scaling. Now that I have it dialed in, 480i is the best I've seen and HD is supposed to be superlative even though I don't have an HD source yet. When I did have an HD source the Panasonic looked much worse than my old HS10. Too much information was lost somehow and the image just didn't have all the extra realism my HS10 displayed. It was more in the realm of a somewhat better DVD transfer.

I just watched The Fifth Element SB on the 12K and it was absolutely stunning. I've watched this movie hundreds of times (even in HD) and it never looked this amazing. I MUST get HD!!!

The way our theater is set up, there's one row of seats at the optimum distance (1.8 screen lengths) and the other way too close (maybe 1.0 or less). Since our seating is limited I spend lots of time in the cheap (close up) seats. With the 12K it's actually pleasurable now to watch movies that close up, because all the nasty LCD artifacts are gone along with excellent scaling. I also use DNC (digital noise reduction) at its lowest setting, and it works better than I've ever seen, cleaning things up for close seating with no noticeable loss of detail or any other unnatural looking effects.
post #95 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Eventually I'll just pull the trigger some where but...for those that know..what would you go with? I have a 20X40 covered porch (i.e. will block some light during the day) and thought the Panny's cannon would do me great but I will also be watching movies and HD at night...so...if you were installing a projector in this type of area....which one (or send me down another path) would you go with?
post #96 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Read the last few pages of posts about the panasonic AX100U.

If you STILL want to buy the panny after reading all those threads, more power to you.
I had a panny and LOVED it and I had zero problems with mine. That said, I wouldn't buy another one.

<a href="
" > My Outdoor Theater</a>
post #97 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM

My room is 14x14 feet and I have a 100" screen. Will this projector work? It would be ceiling mounted as far back as possible. Seats are at the back wall too. If not, what's the biggest screen I can use?
post #98 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a link handy, but search google for projector calculator.
100" would be pushing it at 14 feet. The projector is actually almost 2 feet long. The lens would be no more than 12 feet from the front wall. You also need some space behind the projector for running the cables and airflow.

I don't know the 100" distance, but for 119, minimum is 15'4. You might make it but I'd guess based on that distance, 92" is probably more optimal for you.

<a href="
post #99 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister View Post

Read the last few pages of posts about the panasonic AX100U.

If you STILL want to buy the panny after reading all those threads, more power to you.
I had a panny and LOVED it and I had zero problems with mine. That said, I wouldn't buy another one.

I gotcha but....would there be, in your opinion, acceptable PQ iand brightness if it played in the middle of the day with all the ambient light..? After reading...I understand what I'd be getting now....
post #100 of 100 Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Ambient light is a killer for any projector.
The sharp in High Brightness mode is pretty darn bright, but I don't know if it's bright enough for ambient light.

<a href="
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page