Optoma HD 72 Bulb just went... I Think... - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 406 Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me the bulb to purchase? Searching on the web, I found this model number: BL-FU220A. Here is a link on CDW. http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...OD%3aBL-FU220a. Is this the right bulb? Are they any other alternatives.

This is my first pj, so I don't have a lot of experience and have never bought a bulb. I was surprised to see how much they are. Has anyone ever tried to buy a "bare bulb" and put it into the housing cartridge to save money?

Any bulb advice would be appreciated.

- Hal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 406 Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Yes, that's the right bulb. And, there are no other alternatives.

You may want to try this site.

http://www.complete-it.ca/Replacemen...aBL-FU220A.php

But you'll have to ask them if they ship to the U.S.A. If they do, you can save a few bucks considering the low value of the Canadian dollar right now.

-------------------

EDIT:

But you can't order by phone. Their website to order is:

http://www.projectorbulbs.ca/

Note: the BL-FU220a is their #8 top seller.
post #273 of 406 Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Fox View Post

Well, I've just had the same lamp off problem. Mine is HD6800 bought in August 2006 from Costco.ca. 788 hours on the lamp. I had it in Bright mode and Image AI was on. I turned them off and it's working again so far. Will see how much more I can get out of it.

OK, at 856 hours it started to do this 30-sec shutdown again. I bought and installed the new lamp. Will see...
post #274 of 406 Old 10-31-2008, 07:10 PM

This thread really doesn't need another post, and enough has been said about what I think is not just a random problem with the HD 72/6800, but what appears to be a case of engineered obsolescence. I recall Apple had toyed with the idea of a two year life-span for electronics (either by means of keyed software or hardware failure tolerances). It appears Optoma has implemented this strategy, or am I just imagining that most of the failures are happening in roughly the same time-frame as determined by lamp-hours?

That having been said, I've contacted Optoma; same song and dance as most of you have experience, and I have no intention of having them inform me that there is a bulb issue for a price-tag of some 500+ dollars. So,I took the machine apart, cleaned the inside, removed and reinstalled the bulb . . . and had the bulb stay on for a full 30 seconds longer than usual for my trouble. Strange that this should have made any difference.

In any event, I do have a question: what is the shortest time a replacement bulb has lasted after the replacement of the initial bulb? More to the point, would it be worth the $360.00 CDN investment in a new bulb? That's six times less than an Epson 1080UB, but I don't want to have six times the trouble either. So, would anyone hazard giving advice as to whether even that amount of money is worth putting into this machine?

Finally, if this were a baby bottle issue we'd probably find more sympathy for our plight with this projector. I suspect even consumer protection advocates would not come to the aid of something that really is a luxury and an indulgence (an oblique reference to certain events of October 31, 1517)

Anyway, just a brief note as to whether the current crop of bulbs might be more stable would be helpful.
post #275 of 406 Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in with my issues....

I bought my HD6800 in November of 2006 and currently have about 1300 hours of use out of it. My first bulb died at 1100 hours and through Costco's Concierge service, I convinced them that this was ridiculous for a bulb to last 1100 out of a possible 3000 hours (econo mode 99% of the time) so they replaced it. But when i got it back, the color wheel whine, that was present only when I first purchased it, had returned along with a bunch of dust in the lens.

Paying for shipping again, I sent it to Optoma where they cleaned out the dust and replaced the lamp driver, which I am sure is a standard procedure for when these things come in for repair.

When I got it back this time, the whine is still very present (even my wife can hear it), and Optoma said that the noise was within tolerances when they checked it out. At this point, I have been without my projector for almost 2 months and I am out $100 in shipping costs (or about $18us ).

I am now in the process of trying to get Costco Concierge to take this thing back. As much as I love the image quality, my experience with this Optoma product is tainted and I refused the "fully refurbished" unit they offered to replace mine with. I am currently waiting to hear back from a Costco regional manager to see what they can do to help me out.

Gamertag: Big Turk
post #276 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Well add me to the list. It happened to me last night after 2 years and approximately 750 hours. But from what others may be saying about the counter, my actual hours may be around 1500. I've always had it on the economode and no AI image. Should I even bother sending it in to Optoma Canada since the warranty has expired and waste $100 in shipping? Should I spend the $360CDN for a new bulb? Options are limited since I can't return it to Costco.ca. Hopefully technology to make a better bulb has improved in 2 years times.

Sunny Surrey, B.C. Canada
post #277 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
... I can't return it to ...

why ?

i did
post #278 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP88 View Post

Well add me to the list. It happened to me last night after 2 years and approximately 750 hours. But from what others may be saying about the counter, my actual hours may be around 1500. I've always had it on the economode and no AI image. Should I even bother sending it in to Optoma Canada since the warranty has expired and waste $100 in shipping? Should I spend the $360CDN for a new bulb? Options are limited since I can't return it to Costco.ca. Hopefully technology to make a better bulb has improved in 2 years times.

Considering that you got about 50% lifespan out of that bulb, I'd say that's about right these days.

My first bulb got 55% lifespan with bright-mode-off.

And my second bulb got about 60% lifespan with bright-mode-on and Image-AI-on.

Save your money. Don't bother sending it into Optoma. You'll have to pay $34.95 for shipping and handling, $90 for diagnostic fee or $120/hour labour.

Bite the bullet and pay for a new bulb and hope you get more than 50% lifespan.
post #279 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP88 View Post

Are you not within the 2-year Costco Concierge warranty anymore?

post #280 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaZeeMan View Post

Are you not within the 2-year Costco Concierge warranty anymore?

No. I purchased the projector in August 2006. I don't really have any leverage like you do because I don't have any other problems with it. I might have to bite the bullet on this and pay for a new bulb. Thanks Dragon Reborn. Has it come to this? Low life expectancy of lamps? Are the new ones any better? After 2 years, has any one built a better bulb? If this one goes, no more Optoma and maybe an LED projector. The wife is not going to like this one.

post #281 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure about other manufacturers' lamp quality. However, at the very least, anybody-but-Optoma's customer service just has to be better than theirs.

And, unfortunately, the HD72 is not the only Optoma product with crappy bulbs and/or flawed design. You'll find many complaints if you do a search of avsforum.

Chalk it up to Optoma engineers and/or technicians either:

a) not knowing what the hell they're doing
b) knowing there is a problem but not acknowledging it
c) laughing all the way to the bank with our lamp money

STP88, considering that you don't use your projector too much, although I hate to say this, you may want to consider a new bulb for now. This would last you another 2 years, hopefully, and by then, LED projector technology may be more commonplace. Then you and I can dump this Optoma garbage.
post #282 of 406 Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

I'm not sure about other manufacturers' lamp quality. However, at the very least, anybody-but-Optoma's customer service just has to be better than theirs.

And, unfortunately, the HD72 is not the only Optoma product with crappy bulbs and/or flawed design. You'll find many complaints if you do a search of avsforum.

Chalk it up to Optoma engineers and/or technicians either:

a) not knowing what the hell they're doing
b) knowing there is a problem but not acknowledging it
c) laughing all the way to the bank with our lamp money

STP88, considering that you don't use your projector too much, although I hate to say this, you may want to consider a new bulb for now. This would last you another 2 years, hopefully, and by then, LED projector technology may be more commonplace. Then you and I can dump this Optoma garbage.

Good point Dragon Reborn. I'll get a new bulb for now.

post #283 of 406 Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Jeeze... And I had to listen to Consumer Reports which rated the HD72 highly. Unit is on bulb number 4. I just got pj back about a week ago from repair depot (Not Optoma). I had purchased an extended warranty. Maybe my HD72 is the reason Circuit City is in chapter 11. It was purchased December 2006 as my 20th anniversary present. My wife's gift was a bit more, a lotta bits more.

I wonder what precentage of units manufactured are exhibiting this symptom? Is there a consumer products lawyer out there that is also an owner? If not, is there a consumer products lawyer out there that would like to own an HD72? Can we force a recall? Can we start a class action? While it is not a safety issue (unless you count tripping over the couch when the lamp went out), it sounds like to me that they may be guilty of deceptive adverstisement. We do have lemon laws in my state.

I fully expect to be on bulb 5 in 7 months.
post #284 of 406 Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the multiple bulb failures for some folks do tell me one thing: the lamp driver they replaced that "didn't cause the problem" (I was skeptical at the time ...why are you replacing it if it is no problem?)... was probably a big part of the problem.

Anyone that has sent one of the projectors in more recently has gotten a new driver.

What I haven't heard is anyone reporting another premature bulb failure after Optoma has switched out the lamp driver. Has that happened to anyone? Or are the multiple bulb failures all folks that haven't had a lamp driver replacement?

My 2nd bulb has quite a ways to go on the new lamp driver before I'll know if I have a repeat issue.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #285 of 406 Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe this is part of a new strategy, make the PJ's cheap and get the money back on the bulbs (like razors). :-)

Anyway, for people who post how many months a bulb lasted, I would also be interested in knowing how many hours the bulb lasted. For me after 2 years and 1000 hours, the bulb started going out in bright mode. Switching to regular mode, the bulb is still working after about 50 hours. I have never sent the PJ in and so I assume it has the "regular" lamp driver.

Since the number one activity for PJ usage in my house is the kids playing Xbox on it, I think I will put a meter on it and make them pay .50cents for every hour. They can subsidize my movie watching. :-)

Regards
-hal
post #286 of 406 Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Well I ordered my bulb from Complete-IT Monday. I should be getting it today...I hope. I'll keep everybody informed about this bulb's life. I suspect my counter is wrong.

post #287 of 406 Old 11-13-2008, 11:52 AM

I ordered the bulb Monday from Complete-IT for over night delivery. I guess it didn't come on Tuesday because of the holiday. It came yesterday around 7:30 pm by an oaf from UPS who dropped the package as he was handing it to me.Talk about cutting it close. Put the bulb in and now I'm back in business. I had it running for about 1.75 hours, and as I suspected, the lamp counter was still at 0. WTF?

post #288 of 406 Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Are you guys getting new bulbs, have you done the RMA to Optoma for the new lamp driver like they gave most of us?

I dunno if I'd be popping in a new bulb without getting that done. I have a sneaking suspicion that was the root cause of the short lifespan for my first bulb.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #289 of 406 Old 12-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

So, projector quit working. Setting the projector to normal mode from bright mode coaxed 6 more weeks from the bulb. Unfortunately, I might not be able to get a new one until after the holidays.
post #290 of 406 Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM

I sent my HD72 in last august for the bulb problem with about 1050 hours. I haven't had problems with my bulb since I got it back. I had to replace the bulb after about putting an additional 1700 hours on it though since it has become too dim. I'm still a little apprehensive that the problem will return with the new bulb though. Hopefully it'll last long enough so that I will find a good 1080 replacement within my price range.
post #291 of 406 Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Guys, I feel your pain.

Every time I think this thread is dead, another user reports bulb failure with Optoma.

One interesting thing I just learned at avsforum though. They say that every time you turn on the projector, that itself equates to 2 hours of use. If so, that would explain why people are not getting the expected bulb life out of these.

However, it still doesn't explain why the lamp works for a minute and then shuts off, instead of only dimming when it's near its end.

Shame on Optoma for releasing such a lemon. I will never ever buy or recommend Optoma again. Not only is their product faulty, their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced in any industry.

So, I plan to get a Kuro and use my pj less often (but for longer when I do).
post #292 of 406 Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

I've asked this before but I never seem to see an answer. Has anyone had a repeat bulb failure AFTER RMA to Optoma and having the lamp driver replaced?

post #293 of 406 Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

I've asked this before but I never seem to see an answer. Has anyone had a repeat bulb failure AFTER RMA to Optoma and having the lamp driver replaced?

I sent my in for RMA at the 6 month point. They replaced the ballust/driver and told me that the bulb needed to be replaced. However, they went ahead and put a new bulb in (not sure why...or maybe they left a test bulb in). The exact same problem happened 12 months later (exactly to the day...coincidentally). I sent it back in for RMA and they sent it back to me saying it was just the bulb....with nothing replaced/repaired. However, since getting it back, the bulb has lasted another 6 months (on bright)....and I did not put in a new bulb. So...either they fixed something (without telling me) or they put in a new bulb...or possibly left a test bulb in there (again).

To answer your question more directly....YES....it has happened to me after RMA.
post #294 of 406 Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Sully View Post

I sent my in for RMA at the 6 month point. They replaced the ballust/driver and told me that the bulb needed to be replaced. However, they went ahead and put a new bulb in (not sure why...or maybe they left a test bulb in). The exact same problem happened 12 months later (exactly to the day...coincidentally). I sent it back in for RMA and they sent it back to me saying it was just the bulb....with nothing replaced/repaired. However, since getting it back, the bulb has lasted another 6 months (on bright)....and I did not put in a new bulb. So...either they fixed something (without telling me) or they put in a new bulb...or possibly left a test bulb in there (again).

To answer your question more directly....YES....it has happened to me after RMA.

My bulb lasted about 400 hours after the lamp driver replacement. I think the flaky lamp driver was making the bulbs go bad (although Optoma wouldn't admit it).

I'm just curious how many failures of new bulbs we've seen following lamp driver replacement.

post #295 of 406 Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 PM

You can chalk another one in with a failed lamp (right in time for the holidays) not even making it to 700 hours. Mine doesn't even boot up to give a 30 second warning though. The projector (PJ) tries to boot us several times and eventually the lamp light comes on and it stops trying to boot up. The one I got, 14 months ago, was a Costco Optoma HD6800: which is pretty much a clone of the HD72 as far as I can tell... Looks like the problems with the HD72 were also cloned.

After going through this thread, I think that I will take my chances with another bulb instead of wasting time with Optoma "customer service"[i]

I will let you know how it turns out.

Happy? Holidays
post #296 of 406 Old 12-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantastik View Post

You can chalk another one in with a failed lamp (right in time for the holidays) not even making it to 700 hours. Mine doesn't even boot up to give a 30 second warning though. The projector (PJ) tries to boot us several times and eventually the lamp light comes on and it stops trying to boot up. The one I got, 14 months ago, was a Costco Optoma HD6800: which is pretty much a clone of the HD72 as far as I can tell... Looks like the problems with the HD72 were also cloned.

After going through this thread, I think that I will take my chances with another bulb instead of wasting time with Optoma "customer service"[i]

Happy? Holidays

You really need to RMA it to Optoma. If the lamp driver they replace is causing the problem (although they insist the problem didn't affect bulb life) then it'll toasty your next bulb also.

post #297 of 406 Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

As Clint Eastwood would say "Do you feel lucky?" You might want to consider a non-oem bulb that fits in the old bulb housing. If the oem bulbs are the problem, perhaps a non-oem substitution from a reputable company might work as it should for 3000-4000 hours. It is cheaper too... I also have an Optoma HD72 and the sweating it out until the bulb unexpectedly fails is making me write off Optoma for any further purchases because they will not step up and take responsibility for a pervasive problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Optoma-HD72-...742.m153.l1262
post #298 of 406 Old 12-20-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantastik View Post

Happy? Holidays

After dealing with Costco Concierge service for warranty issues (You should still be covered as it is retroactive), I finally told them I wasn't going to ship the projector back for a 3rd time for something that I believed was a defective product.

After getting approval to return it back to my local Costco after 23 months, the girl at my local Costco said I shouldn't have wasted my time with the concierge service and just returned it to the store in the first place since the Concierge service was introduced after my purchase. The Concierge service was basically introduced to prevent the "lifetime return policy", which I have never taken advantage of, until now. She credited the full amount to my debit card and I promptly purchased the BenQ W5000 from them and haven't looked back.

post #299 of 406 Old 12-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

You really need to RMA it to Optoma. If the lamp driver they replace is causing the problem (although they insist the problem didn't affect bulb life) then it'll toasty your next bulb also.

Yeah, I think that is an automatic with Optoma. I sent it in for an extremely loud color wheel and they updated the lamp driver and did nothing to the color wheel, stating it was "within specifications".

post #300 of 406 Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 AM

My projector just started cutting out 30s-1min after power up with 832 hours on the clock - non-bright mode.
So I tried Altitude adjustment and lamp reset and neither of them fixed it.
Then I took the projector off the upside down ceiling mount per mdl's suggestion and mounted normal way up and it works.
Does anyone know how long I need to run it right way up in order for me to re-install it inverted and it will work? Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page