Optoma HD 72 Bulb just went... I Think... - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 406 Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I guess I'm a lucky one. 5.5 years (1700) hours before the ballast problem occurred. I refuse to replace the part if the problem hasn't been resolved. (One in my area is for sale for $150 after they replaced the ballast and bulb and it had the same problem 50 hours later).

Has anyone heard if Optoma has corrected the problem, or will I still get a potentially defective part?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 406 Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
Just thought I'd post this: I just talked to Optoma, and the new price for the new lamp driver module (part number 75.83J01G002) is just $59 + $12 S/H (at least that's the shipping to my location). Not in stock though, expected back in later in the month...

I'm having the same issue of lamp going out after a minute or so. I'm gonna try replacing the lamp driver and lamp (got a lamp in USA on Ebay for $100 +free shipping).

Cheers.
post #393 of 406 Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamibansi View Post

Just thought I'd post this: I just talked to Optoma, and the new price for the new lamp driver module (part number 75.83J01G002) is just $59 + $12 S/H (at least that's the shipping to my location). Not in stock though, expected back in later in the month...

I'm having the same issue of lamp going out after a minute or so. I'm gonna try replacing the lamp driver and lamp (got a lamp in USA on Ebay for $100 +free shipping).

Cheers.

Does "new lamp driver module" mean that it is different than the original lamp driver module?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #394 of 406 Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I took mine down from the ceiling mount after confirming it still has this issue.

Removed the mount and for the fun of it, flipped it over and fired it up. It ran 90 minutes without any issues. I then flipped it upside down and it ran another 20 minutes without any issues before I shut it off.

I'm afraid to re-mount it to the ceiling as it will probably start happening again. Anyone else have this strange phenomenon happen to them? (My projector has 1650 hours on it all with bright mode off)

My Little Theater
post #395 of 406 Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

While I'm not certain if ceiling mounting is contributing to the problem or not, I think your pj is "running on borrowed time." I'm guessing that you would rather have the pj ceiling mounted, but if you can get some more life out of it in its current placement, then you might want to order another bulb now so that you're not totally stuck without pj use when it finally happens.

I had my pj ceiling mounted, and when my 2nd bulb started acting up, I took it out of Bright mode and was able to get 50-75 hours more out of it. I ended up replacing the bulb before it totally cut out, so I might have been able to eek some more out of it if I had wanted to try. As a result, I've kept that old bulb as a "reserve" bulb to use in the future if I need something temporarily (e.g. while waiting for delivery of a new bulb).

!!!!!!! okay ive had the Optoma HD800XLV DLP for about 2 years and has run without problem. then i decided to mount it upside down. after a few seconds the projector went off. i tried turning it on again but the same problem after a few seconds. (the lamp led would light up red) so i open the projector up and checked all connections and dust filters. everything looked fine and the fans were all working. i noticed that if i start the projector the normal way round it runs fine. but once you put it upside down the lamp goes off. so...

what i did was remove the lamp and loosen the 3 clamps holding the lamp in place, then i rotated the lamp by 180 degrees and put it back into the holder. as the wires are differnet lenghts i had to swap them therefore i also swapped the wires on the connection to the pcb ( the white connection (4slot only using the outside 2slots) ) boxed everything back and expected that it would still have the same problem but no it work just fine. the only problem i have now is when i want to turn the projector the normal way round it doesnt work.
post #396 of 406 Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnDing View Post

!!!!!!! okay ive had the Optoma HD800XLV DLP for about 2 years and has run without problem. then i decided to mount it upside down. after a few seconds the projector went off. i tried turning it on again but the same problem after a few seconds. (the lamp led would light up red) so i open the projector up and checked all connections and dust filters. everything looked fine and the fans were all working. i noticed that if i start the projector the normal way round it runs fine. but once you put it upside down the lamp goes off. so...

what i did was remove the lamp and loosen the 3 clamps holding the lamp in place, then i rotated the lamp by 180 degrees and put it back into the holder. as the wires are differnet lenghts i had to swap them therefore i also swapped the wires on the connection to the pcb ( the white connection (4slot only using the outside 2slots) ) boxed everything back and expected that it would still have the same problem but no it work just fine. the only problem i have now is when i want to turn the projector the normal way round it doesnt work.

The problem most were having with the HD72 wasn't heat related and no error LED's would ever appear. The lamp would just turn off and the projector thought everything was running fine.

My Little Theater
post #397 of 406 Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

The problem most were having with the HD72 wasn't heat related and no error LED's would ever appear. The lamp would just turn off and the projector thought everything was running fine.

well at first thats what i thought was happening. it wasnt until i read the fourm and found people talking about the lamp led that i noticed mine was also remaining on.

anyways i only trying to help and to me if i can get more life from a lamp i should share.
post #398 of 406 Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Folks,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but my long out of warranty HD72 was recently having the same issue. I bought the ballast / lamp controller from Optoma support, replaced it and now my projector is working great. The bulb had about 1200 hours on it before this issue started. This was my second bulb as I did not know about the ballast issue the first time around. Luckily, I kept the original bulb, so I now have a spare bulb. I guess I will have this projector around a couple more years until I feel the urge to buy a 1080P PJ (and then I will have a nice 2nd PJ).

Thanks you to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially around the lamp issue. The PDF created by Mark R. Spiering was fantastic. The only quibble I have was that I don't think it said you need to remove the screws by the DVI connector to remove the video board. Replacing the ballast was easy, as well as was ordering the part. Threads like this is why I love this forum.

Regards
-Hal
post #399 of 406 Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Hello, all. Thanks for this excellent thread. I have been working on an Optoma HD32, which I understood to be similar or even identical to the HD70. Now I'm not so sure...

I received the ballast controller, but have found that the ballast controller I am replacing used only wire with metal clamps to secure the 2 pin power connector. Since the new controller has a female plug, I am trying to figure out the best way to get a connection. I was thinking about attempting to use molex connector pins and removing the white plastic housing on the new controller's pins, but I'm in uncharted territory so thought it best to check here.

Here is a picture. New controller is on the left. I have two wires coming from the projector. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Roger
post #400 of 406 Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, I don't know where you got that replacement ballast from but it's not for the bulb in the HD32 at all, it is for a OSRAM AC bulb and your projector uses a SHP69 DC bulb (Made by Phoenix). If you do get it hooked up it will burn out your bulb in no time at all. You can buy the exact replacement you need straight from Optima (for the HD70). Return that one you bought if you can, it's just plain wrong for your projector.

Good luck,
Jmayes
Rog668 likes this.
post #401 of 406 Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM

*Faceslap*

You're right. I got the HD70 and HD72 confused and ordered the wrong part. The description of the problem is consistent with the problems I've had with this HD70/HD32, so I will move forward with ordering the correct ballast and update this thread with results. Thanks very much for your reply!

Roger
post #402 of 406 Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM

Hmm... I called the Optoma out of warranty line in Mark's PDF instructions (888-942-2929) and they are no longer selling any parts for the HD70/HD32. Anyone know of any way to find them these days? Ebay came up lamps and color wheels only. Is it time to give up on this thing?
post #403 of 406 Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM

Hey guys , i recently had the same symptoms but it turned out to be something else.
The cover of the lamp casing is pressing a little switch that tells the system that the lamp is in place. Well the plastic cover seems has soften over the years and did not push the switch all the way down. I put a piece of carton between the switch and the cover and it works fine.
Maybe try it before sending it in.
post #404 of 406 Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog668 View Post

Hmm... I called the Optoma out of warranty line in Mark's PDF instructions (888-942-2929) and they are no longer selling any parts for the HD70/HD32. Anyone know of any way to find them these days? Ebay came up lamps and color wheels only. Is it time to give up on this thing?

Same question. Anywhere to find a lamp driver for this?
post #405 of 406 Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Maybe you can help me with my hd72. I turn it on and two minutes later it screeches and makes a high pitched squeak and turns off. It flickers different colors too. The bulb led does come on but it's a new bulb and the problem is the reason I bought the new bulb. Ballast? I have cleaned it but not the color wheel yet.
post #406 of 406 Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 PM

I ran into this problem and replaced the ballast in my unit (Optoma HD72 projector). When I powered it on the first time following replacement of the ballast, it STILL did the same routine where the picture went dead (no illumination whatsoever) after being on ~30 seconds. I have no way of getting into the menu to see the bulb life because of this. It appears as though I wasted 100 dollars on a new ballast.

If I replaced the ballast and the problem persists, is it safe to presume that I am in need of a new bulb?

Thanks

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page