*Official* Optoma HD80 thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3391 of 3542 Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a problem with the color on the projector. I have tried to fix it through the settings on the menus and have cleaned out the dust thoroughly, but there is still an issue with the color.

It started happening about 3 weeks ago and has slowly gotten worse. I checked the bulb and it only has a little over 800 hours on it (out of ~3000). The color is very blotchy, especially reds, skin tones, and anything with a dark scene. The best that I saw it described was like a contour/satellite image map. I have checked online for suggestions, but I cannot find anything else to do. The only thing that I found was a possible issue with the color wheel.

What do all of you think here? Any help would be useful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3542 Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds like Color Wheel Index settings is drifting for some reason. It may be hardware related problem. Anyway adjusting CWI setting in the SM should fix it, at least temporarily but better stay away from the SM if you are not familiar with it.
post #3393 of 3542 Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

Sounds like Color Wheel Index settings is drifting for some reason. It may be hardware related problem. Anyway adjusting CWI setting in the SM should fix it, at least temporarily but better stay away from the SM if you are not familiar with it.

Thanks...I have a feeling it is the color wheel. I have made adjustments through the OSD menu via the remote, and have even tried your settings and Charles R's settings to get a baseline, but to no avail. I would like to take a look at the service menu, but how do I go about accessing it? Do I need to hook the pj up to a computer? If so,do I need software? I did not do the installation so I am not even sure I have any if needed.

Once I am able to access the service menu, do you have any additional suggestions?

Thanks again!
post #3394 of 3542 Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Ok, I can access the SM by pressing the up/down buttons simultaneously, but I am unsure how to adjust the CWI settings as I do not see that option. Which menu would it be in?

Thanks
post #3395 of 3542 Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wagner017, check your pm.
post #3396 of 3542 Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hey HD80 Owners,

I am now looking to finish my HT with a professional screen. I've been using BOC and now able to pick up a screen. I've been looking into a few manufactures but I would like to know what gain and types of material HD80 Owners are using and why...

Steve
post #3397 of 3542 Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

I am now looking to finish my HT with a professional screen. I've been using BOC and now able to pick up a screen. I've been looking into a few manufactures but I would like to know what gain and types of material HD80 Owners are using and why...

If you are going to be staying with the HD80 it needs help with its black level... so a gray based screen would fit the job.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3398 of 3542 Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Hey HD80 Owners,

Steve

I splurged for a Stewart Firehawk G3 with my HD80, purchased from AV Science. Actually paid more for it than the projector which may seem odd, but I figured I would keep the screen longer. That is definitely looking to be the case. Since I have it in my living room (white ceiling/walls, imperfect light control etc.) it looked like the best option at the time. And while an expensive screen, it's a LOT cheaper than building/modding a room! Had a Da-lite High Power before which had its own advantages, but for a ceiling mount it wasn't exactly the right fit so the Firehawk works better in a few ways.
post #3399 of 3542 Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

If you are going to be staying with the HD80 it needs help with its black level... so a gray based screen would fit the job.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for responding. I do plan on holding on to it for a bit I'll get some samples to test. Any comments on the "gain" to look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post

I splurged for a Stewart Firehawk G3 with my HD80, purchased from AV Science. Actually paid more for it than the projector which may seem odd, but I figured I would keep the screen longer. That is definitely looking to be the case. Since I have it in my living room (white ceiling/walls, imperfect light control etc.) it looked like the best option at the time. And while an expensive screen, it's a LOT cheaper than building/modding a room! Had a Da-lite High Power before which had its own advantages, but for a ceiling mount it wasn't exactly the right fit so the Firehawk works better in a few ways.

Hey pheroy,

Thank You too for responding... The Stewart Firehawk is also a gray screen? I don't know that much about the Firehawk. I see alot of post on the ST 130 G3. I don't think it's odd to spend more on the screen if it's part of the display.. I figure the pj and screen should go hand and hand... I picked up the HD80 when it came out a few years ago it was one of the new 1080p pj's under 3k and at that time that's what I could get... Now I can upgrade from it but nothing is wrong with this crazy thing and still have alot of life on the bulb. It's ceiling mounted with an HE Lens and I am being Lazy to get back up there and change everything around...

For the most part DLP PJ's should be mated with gray based screens...? for the black level
post #3400 of 3542 Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for responding. I do plan on holding on to it for a bit I'll get some samples to test. Any comments on the "gain" to look for?

Hey pheroy,

Thank You too for responding... The Stewart Firehawk is also a gray screen? I don't know that much about the Firehawk. I see alot of post on the ST 130 G3. I don't think it's odd to spend more on the screen if it's part of the display.. I figure the pj and screen should go hand and hand... I picked up the HD80 when it came out a few years ago it was one of the new 1080p pj's under 3k and at that time that's what I could get... Now I can upgrade from it but nothing is wrong with this crazy thing and still have alot of life on the bulb. It's ceiling mounted with an HE Lens and I am being Lazy to get back up there and change everything around...

For the most part DLP PJ's should be mated with gray based screens...? for the black level

The required gain would be based on your screen size and the light output of the projector. With the HD80 I would say anything under 110" diagonal (or so) a gain of 1 or more would be fine. Presuming it's a light controlled environment. If the screen is larger or there will be ambient light you'll need a higher gain.

The gray recommendation is because of the HD80's poor black level not DLP in general. Regarding investing in a quality screen I don't disagree but I would keep in mind screen materials continue to evolve just like projectors. I have an original Stewart Firehawk which has a textured surface that doesn't play that well with 1080p projectors. As such I'd like to replace it and it was only 1k (back then) but it seems a shame to simply replace it. Especially since it's much harder to sell than an old projector.

| 
|
|
|
post #3401 of 3542 Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The required gain would be based on your screen size and the light output of the projector. With the HD80 I would say anything under 110" diagonal (or so) a gain of 1 or more would be fine. Presuming it's a light controlled environment. If the screen is larger or there will be ambient light you'll need a higher gain.

The gray recommendation is because of the HD80's poor black level not DLP in general. Regarding investing in a quality screen I don't disagree but I would keep in mind screen materials continue to evolve just like projectors. I have an original Stewart Firehawk which has a textured surface that doesn't play that well with 1080p projectors. As such I'd like to replace it and it was only 1k (back then) but it seems a shame to simply replace it. Especially since it's much harder to sell than an old projector.

Do you think the reason for the poor black level has to do with not using TI's DarkChip 3...? I am fine with my PQ and I'm using a scaler for all my video processing. Just think I should be able to get better results with a professional screen than with my BOC. Looking for more POP (Vibrant Look) in my picture if that makes any since.

Steve
post #3402 of 3542 Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 AM

I havn't been around in a while. The HD80 has poor black levels now?
post #3403 of 3542 Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog View Post

I havn't been around in a while. The HD80 has poor black levels now?

Only if you compare it to other projectors over the last four years or so.

| 
|
|
|
post #3404 of 3542 Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Only if you compare it to other projectors over the last four years or so.

Okay, I see what you are talking about.... The PJ's out now and the last few years have changed alot...

No need to upgrade until the wheels fall off...
post #3405 of 3542 Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Stewart Firehawk is also a gray screen? I don't know that much about the Firehawk.

The Firehawk is a medium gray screen. The G3 version was redone for 1080p projectors, so the grain issue that CharlesR mentioned is gone. It's also a 1.3 gain, so a little help in that department too. Here's a review from Art at projectorreviews. BTW, mine is a manual pulldown, not motorized, which is a good bit less expensive, but did limit me to 100".

Short of the SI Black Diamond (which isn't available in a retractable version), the Firehawk is the best screen for a non-batcave setup.
post #3406 of 3542 Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post

the Firehawk is the best screen for a non-batcave setup.

pheroy,

Thanks for the link...

Steve
post #3407 of 3542 Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 AM

I'm having the exact same issues only after approx 2k hours. I have completed my trouble shooting to eliminate other hardware & am now getting ready to send it in for an optoma tech for service. I'll let you know the outcome.

Mike
post #3408 of 3542 Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Liked: 13
Hello all... I requested a new bulb under the Mack Camera warranty (from TapeWorks Texas) and they sent me (what is packaged as) a Dell 5100MP replacement lamp including the cage (sent from Pureland Supply). Does anyone know if this is the correct bulb? I don't want to take the projector off it's ceiling mount yet if it's not correct. Any known answers are graciously appreciated!!!

***** Update *****
I emailed TapeWorks Texas and they confirmed from Pureland Supply that the Dell 5100MP bulb is the same as the HD80 bulb. FWIW the bulb came including the cage. I still haven't switched it up, but figured I'd provide an update
post #3409 of 3542 Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM

I'm thinking about painting my wall with the Silverscreen, is that a good choice for this projector? I had a quick glimpse in the Silverscreen thread and this paint is available for purchase premixed?
post #3410 of 3542 Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 PM

My HD80 had the problem of after powering up for less than a minute, the projector would turn off and start blinking all the blue lights. I replaced the blub but it still did the same thing. As a last desperate act, I quickly hit the menu setting on the remote and did a Reset All. The unit operates fine now.
I noticed something strange as I played with the settings. As I changed the Auto Power Off setting, from 0 to anything else, the projector started getting the original problem. I did a Reset All and it works again. I guess I won't mess with that setting! Must be a bug!
post #3411 of 3542 Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 AM

Mine had this problem as well sent off for warranty repair and they replaced the main board and has worked perfectly since its return about 5 months ago.
post #3412 of 3542 Old 03-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I could use a little help from the HD80 gurus. Mine is a few years old but only has a few hundred hours on it. I jst upgraded my HTPC's BIOS and did a clean install of Windows 7and my projectors image is wrong. I figured there was a compatibility issue so I bought a brand new ATI 5670 (it had embeded Nvidia 9300) card and its doing the exact same thing.
The same HDMI input works fine for FIOS TV. I swaped out cables and connected directly to the projector with no difference. Out of ideas.
Thanks for any help.

LL
post #3413 of 3542 Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 AM

I'm getting more frustrated with the loud fan noise on this unit (especially when initially started up - it seems to stabilize after it warms up in about five to ten minutes).

Is it possible to do a DIY fan replacement on this unit? Anyone done it and created step-by-step directions?

Rajiv
post #3414 of 3542 Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epocman2 View Post

My HD80 had the problem of after powering up for less than a minute, the projector would turn off and start blinking all the blue lights. I replaced the blub but it still did the same thing. As a last desperate act, I quickly hit the menu setting on the remote and did a Reset All. The unit operates fine now.
I noticed something strange as I played with the settings. As I changed the Auto Power Off setting, from 0 to anything else, the projector started getting the original problem. I did a Reset All and it works again. I guess I won't mess with that setting! Must be a bug!

THANK YOU, epocman! This worked for my HD80 as well. Took a couple of tries to get to the menu and find it - fortunately Reset is on the main Setup menu so it is fairly easy to get to. Left it on for a few minutes, then connected an HDMI cable and let it go for a few minutes, and so far so good. It's a little perturbing that Optoma support never asked me to try this, though.
post #3415 of 3542 Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagner017 View Post

I am having a problem with the color on the projector...The color is very blotchy, especially reds, skin tones, and anything with a dark scene. The best that I saw it described was like a contour/satellite image map. I have checked online for suggestions, but I cannot find anything else to do.>>!

I think I am having the same problem as you have described. Were you able to get it resolved? If so, how? I do have an extended warranty on the PJ and I am thinking that sending it in for service might be the only option. So I am very interested in how you handled it.
post #3416 of 3542 Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

post #3417 of 3542 Old 03-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey guys I beleive my cwi needs adjusting from what info i have gathered from thread. I know how to get to service menu and thats it.Can someone outline what to do from there.I see other people have given ideas by pm i think it would be good to post on thread since there have been a few people having this problem. thanks
wow that is exact problem i have btokars in the pictures u posted.
post #3418 of 3542 Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ok guys if your image looks like these pictures posted by btokars,it means that your cwi needs adjustment. To access menu hit power off left left up. Here you see a bunch of settings. Scroll down to cwi and press left or right to move number higher or lower.Mine was set at 61 I had to bring it down to 47.I was playing a movie in background so I knew on what number to stop.
Goodluck

post #3419 of 3542 Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by etarnvik View Post

Just a tip for lamp replacement. My HD80 just recently started shutting itself off just like many other users have reported. After reading through the forum, I decided that my best option was to just replace the lamp rather than sending my unit back to Optoma, less hassle and a good chance it would fix the problem. Now, $400-$500 for a lamp replacement seemed somewhat steep, so I opted to buy a bare bulb from an ebay vendor rather than replace the whole lamp module.

The bulb cost me around $200. I would suggest this is the way to go, there is really nothing to it, the only thing you need is a screwdriver and 20 minutes. Be careful not to touch the exposed inside of the bulb with your hands, otherwise it is truly a piece of cake. $200-$300 saved!

Replacing the lamp fixed my shut-off problem. Search ebay for "HD80 bulb" and you will find several vendors. Good luck!

Thanks so much for posting this. I had the shut-off problem too. I considered buying a lamp off ebay but was too nervous until I saw your post. You saved me a bunch of $ and it fixed the problem. Not to mention the pq is fantastic. I knew my bulb had been getting dimmer but I didn't realize how much. Now I remember why I fell in love with this projector!
post #3420 of 3542 Old 04-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamioutlaw04 View Post

Ok guys if your image looks like these pictures posted by btokars,it means that your cwi needs adjustment. To access menu hit power off left left up. Here you see a bunch of settings. Scroll down to cwi and press left or right to move number higher or lower.Mine was set at 61 I had to bring it down to 47.I was playing a movie in background so I knew on what number to stop.
Goodluck

Thank you Outlaw. I moved mine down to 47 and it has seemed to fix the problem for me. I started noticing this issue about a month ago on my HD80.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Hd80 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page