post #451 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I didn't check out s-vhs with the HQV test DVD but I'd exect the Pixelworks chip which is top notch stuff to do a stellar job. If you have the HQV DVD run some tests. I can't had to send my test HD80 back today.

Are you coming up with a detail review thread of the HD80 as you did for the other models?

It is always refreshing to read your reviews....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Motion smearing? Man, I have not seen anything like that on an LCD in years and years now. Plasma has it's own issues, it's all trade offs you know.

I don't want to turn this into a Plasma Vs LCD thread, except to say this...
1. Compare some interlaced video, say "The David Letterman Show", on an LCD and a Plasma side by side. Watch for fine details. Remember that they both must be callibrated accurately - so no factory defaults. Then tell me which has the smoothest, most lifelike motion. Once you've got an eye for it, you'll see that LCD has the same problem with film-based content too.

2. Switch out the lights. Watch a very dark night-time scene on both a properly set-up plasma and an LCD. Then tell me which has the deepest blacks.

Seriously... what real problems does a modern plasma have that compares with that?

We have a Sony XBR2 series 40" as a client monitor where I work (video post-production). It's one of the best LCDs currently on the market - maybe THE best. And in many ways I like it a lot.

But I doubt we'll ever buy another LCD for as long as they have the above two problems.
post #453 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbana View Post

Are you coming up with a detail review thread of the HD80 as you did for the other models?

It is always refreshing to read your reviews....

I could but lately with the sticky threads and threads that have been going for a long time with interested partakers in that thread, I've shyed away from it. Plus the added bandwith thing. The other thing is the underground lync mob likes to show up in the thread. So sorry not anymore.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #454 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You have to be pretty bold to post up any sort of impressions or information on the net anymore. It seems no matter what, somebody tells you that you are wrong, or they post accusations or heated disagreement about everything and anything these days.

Thanks for all the information you do share with us.
post #455 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Seems that way. Anyway I got the important info people look for out in this thread. Light level, blacks, colors, contrast. That's what I look for when searching out projector info. It's definetly the brightest projector I've had so far.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #456 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbie View Post

Would you give the H80 the edge picture quality wise over the AE1000? I'm particularly interested in how well it handles dark scenes in comparison.

Due to my light coloured walls the current crop of 1080p lcd haven't cut it with brightness/black levels and i'm torn between the HD80 and the JVC HD1. Both seem to have the lumens, it's down to how well they can handle a movie like The Descent.

Warbie, I have the JVC HD1 and light walls like you. The only thing that disappoints me with the HD1 is the way it loses contrast in backlit scenes. A recent review in ULTIMATEAV said;

"Blacks could turn a little grey on the JVC in scenes with dark foreground details and strong backlighting"

I watched Force Of Impact in HD the other night and there was one scene in particular where in a low angle camera shot one person had bright high level windows behind them and was in conversation opposite a second person with no back lighting. In one case the image had rich contrast and when the scene switched to the person with backlighting the image had an amazing drop in contrast and looked washed out. The scene kept switching back and forth which really emphasised the fault. My white walls may have made this worse, but I think this is an inherent problem of LCD and LCOS due to the lower ansi contrast.

Consider that a DLP PJ like the Sharp XV-Z20000 has an ansi CR of around 800:1, whereas the JVC HD1 is in the upper 300s. The Optoma HD80 is 518:1.

The best projector is the one which has the problem you hate the least.
In my case, , the lower on/off contrast and ultimate lower black levels are preferable to a lower ansi contrast with washed out mixed light and dark images.

Unless they find a way of substantially increasing the ansi CR in LCOS and LCD PJs, my next projector will definitely be DLP, unless someone can persusde me I am talking through my hat.
post #457 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OMG "The best projector is the one which has the problem you hate the least."

Truer words were never spoken Jacko05.

I think most people are going to still find something(s) with any projector. The HD80 rocks and considering the price difference to an RS1, well.....

If you can deal with the placement issues with the HD80, it's almost a no brianer buy for most people.
post #458 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I could but lately with the sticky threads and threads that have been going for a long time with interested partakers in that thread, I've shyed away from it. Plus the added bandwith thing. The other thing is the underground lync mob likes to show up in the thread. So sorry not anymore.

While I totally understand your decision, sorry to hear of it.

Hopefully you will still keep posting even if you are not doing anymore any reviews
post #459 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Tom, any word on when and which reviewers will be getting these?

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #460 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

When AI Image is on should fan increase to full same as altitude or brite mode???

Its nice and quite in normal mode with AI off.

Upgraded from Mitsubishi HC3000 this HD80 is better in everyway.
post #461 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

also 1080p 60hz hdmi from my pc nvidia/vista64 flashes up for a second then no signal 1080i 25hz works??

thanks for any insight
post #462 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Reviewers they'll probably be sending one to is HT-mag, Greg Rodgers at WSR, Projector Central I don't know which order.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #463 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin, I can't even figure out what Image AI does, but the fan noise is excessive for me. I always leave it off.

Rich
post #464 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

When AI Image is on should fan increase to full same as altitude or brite mode???

Its nice and quite in normal mode with AI off.

Upgraded from Mitsubishi HC3000 this HD80 is better in everyway.

Hi Kevin.

I too have a Mitsubishi HC3000 and am wondering whether to upgrade. Three questions...

1. Have you had to place the projector further away from the screen than the Mits to get the same size?
2. Is it noticeably brighter than the Mits (with both in eco mode & irises fully open)?
3. Are the blacks any deeper?
4. With HD, how much more detail are you really seeing now?

Cheers...
post #465 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4av View Post

Kevin, I can't even figure out what Image AI does, but the fan noise is excessive for me. I always leave it off.

I noticed that when ImageAI is on, during a bright scene in a movie it will decrease the brightness and increase the contrast and vice versa in a dark scene. I don't like the constant automatic adjustment of the brightness/contrast level, it's very annoying when watching a movie. Maybe good to turn it on only for viewing static images like photographs.
post #466 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

Hi Kevin.

I too have a Mitsubishi HC3000 and am wondering whether to upgrade. Three questions...

1. Have you had to place the projector further away from the screen than the Mits to get the same size?
2. Is it noticeably brighter than the Mits (with both in eco mode & irises fully open)?
3. Are the blacks any deeper?
4. With HD, how much more detail are you really seeing now?

Cheers...

Yes 1 foot away
Mits is brite on new bulb so not much in it another step up
More shadow detail and deeper blacks 3d more noticeable
Everything is sharper sd hd pc with more color
Mits looked out of focus in comparasion 1200 hr lamp use
can now read pc fonts 1920 x 1080 res
eco mode as quiet as Mits brite louder
miss auto format cinemascope modes
post #467 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I currently have an infocus 4805 and have been waiting for the day that 1080p projectors would come below the $3000 mark. Now that the time has come I'm really tempted to get one of these. The thing is I've been pretty patient up until now and I want to make sure that I will buy a projector that will serve my needs for a very long time. 1080p/24 is very important to me and I want to find out if the HD80 can truly display it properly (I'll probably have to wait for a professional review for this info since it hasn't quite come out here yet). My other issue is that I have a graywolf screen with something like a 1.6 gain. Is that going to make the image too blown out? I'm concerned that I might have to buy another screen after having had this one for only 18 months. Thoughts?

Oh, and this is probably a stupid question, but I haven't followed projectors much since I got my 4805, does the HD80 have sealed optics? I did read that most DLPs do nowadays but I just want to be sure.
post #468 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM

I don't think the screen will be a problem. Just adjust the iris on the HD80, and maybe make some brightness and contrast changes. I use iris setting "10" on my 106" 1.1 gain screen.
post #469 of 3547 Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko05 View Post

Unless they find a way of substantially increasing the ansi CR in LCOS and LCD PJs, my next projector will definitely be DLP, unless someone can persusde me I am talking through my hat.

Cheers for that Jacko.

How do you find the jvc for dark scenes in general?

The price of the HD80 and the close proximity of Cedia are the only things holding me back at the moment. My ceiling is only 7.5 ' high too.
post #470 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:

Cheers for that Jacko.

How do you find the jvc for dark scenes in general?

The price of the HD80 and the close proximity of Cedia are the only things holding me back at the moment. My ceiling is only 7.5 ' high too.

warbie, the HD1 is superb with dark scenes and other scenes without brightly lit parts of the image, despite my white walls and ceilings. I project onto a Beamax 1.0 gain matte white screen, 92" diag. and I have an ND2 filter fitted to keep the brightness down.
My only complaint is the washed out effect when you have a fairly large light background with a dark foreground.
Small areas of brightness, eg. stars in a night sky, or a flashlight in a cave, do not have this effect. The background remains inky black and the light source is very bright.
The wost example is say, someone in a dark suit walking slowly past a window. The change in contrast is very obvious as he enters and leaves the bright window area. His suit changes from black to dark grey and back to black and a haze passes over the image for that short moment.
I find that I am sensitive to this characteristic, others might say that I am nit picking.

In arecent review in Ultimate AV, when comparing The JVC HD1/RS1 with the DLP Sharp XV-Z20000, the reviewer said;

"Blacks could turn a little grey on the JVC in scenes with dark foreground details and strong backlighting"

He also went on to say;

"Overall, however, the Sharp XV20000 still has the best combination of deep blacks and consistent scene to scene contrast ratio I've yet seen on a digital projector"
This is, I conclude a function of the higher ansi contrast ratio. ( my comment)
Personally, I think I would be prepared to trade some black level for a higher ansi contrast ratio. Would the HD80 fit the bill? I don't know without seeing it, but the ansi contrast is double that of the 1080p LCD PJs. (or more) and about 40% higher than the JVC HD1.
post #471 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks again.

I think i'll go for the jvc. Every review says it's a cracking projector for the money and my biggest gripe with my TW1000 was in primarily dark scenes. High contrast with lots of light can't be bad

The HD80 is still very temtping, but after doing a few calculations it doesn't seem to fit my room. Optoma must have lost a fair few customers in this way.
post #472 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:

The HD80 is still very temtping, but after doing a few calculations it doesn't seem to fit my room. Optoma must have lost a fair few customers in this way.

I'm sure they have.... On the other hand by utilizing existing casework and optics (even with their limitations) to keep the price/performance ration up high, I'm sure they've gained even more then they've lost.

Jerry Rappaport
post #473 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM

Today I saw the HD80 at a dealer here in Sweden, with the Pioneer player sending out 1080p/24.

First impression; image virtually popped off the screen, with a bagfull of brightness, still excellent, inky blacks. *me like*

Next to the BenQ 9000, the contrast looked clearly higher, and blacks slightly deeper on the HD80.

Only real con was that the HD80 looked a bit oversaturated in the red and green.
In this aspect the 9000 felt more correct.

Anything you have experienced guitarman?

/Fredrik

ISF Certified Swede - there is no shortcut to the perfect image!
post #474 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I am sure the colors can be tweaked (somewhat). I remembered asking whether the color wheel contains a white segment on the HD80 but didn't remember any answer. Well, do we know now? People that are already playing with the HD80, can you tell us more about the colors?
post #475 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The specs say the 7th segment on the wheel is ND, not clear. This usually means less dithering.
post #476 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM

No white segment.

Actually it has the opposite a NDG (neutral density green) segment to improve the darker part of the image.

7 segments running at 6x speed.

With a 300W lamp, it is bright enough - no white segment needed.
post #477 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFrrEEddRRiiKK View Post

Today I saw the HD80 at a dealer here in Sweden, with the Pioneer player sending out 1080p/24.

First impression; image virtually popped off the screen, with a bagfull of brightness, still excellent, inky blacks. *me like*

Next to the BenQ 9000, the contrast looked clearly higher, and blacks slightly deeper on the HD80.

Great to hear a comparison to the Benq 9000 which appears to use the same 1080p chip. Surprised to hear you say that contrast clearly looked higher as I would think these would be close. I wonder if it is the because the HD80 is brighter. You say "inky blacks" and I have heard several people say this that have seen the HD80.......thats what I like to hear.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #478 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauwing View Post

No white segment.

Actually it has the opposite a NDG (neutral density green) segment to improve the darker part of the image.

7 segments running at 6x speed.

With a 300W lamp, it is bright enough - no white segment needed.

Excellent. I am not a techie. How does a ND segment affect color calibration? With a white segment we heard that calibration to accurate color temp dimmed a pj.

I guess someone needs to send this baby to Kras for a look-see.
post #479 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 PM

So, does the HD80 display 1080p/24?

Every report of 'inky blacks' tempts me even more. Especially as it's around $3000 cheaper than the JVC DH1 in the uk.
post #480 of 3547 Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It does display 1080p24 but I cannot say how well. I do not have any test disks to check this out, so we'll have to wait for a review.

Anyone with a Sony BD disk - can you check one of the patterns for pixel cropping? I saw that the bottom of the screen was cropped a bit in my set up but do not know if it's the PS3.

Rich
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Hd80 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page