*Official* Optoma HD80 thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Although I'm impressed by Projector Central's review I'm concerned about the 300watt bulb and the small enclosure of the HD80. Heat is the bane of projectors and that high wattage bulb could be a problem.

I have had no problems with the projector, and it has been quite hot in my projection room recently. I even had a DVD player shutdown twice one night and I think it was the heat, but the HD80 never even blinked.
Lonely Surfer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Electric_Haggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Three questions to all you owners...

1. Can you spot ANY rainbow effect with the new 6x wheel? Even if you look for it on black & white grids?

2. How about colour banding and posterisation? I've found in the past that projectors that offer 5x mode (like the Mitsubishi HC2000) have more of these issues at the faster setting.

3. For those with a 100" screen, exactly how close to the screen can you mount it to get 100"? I might be struggling with a ceiling fan if I replace my Mitsubishi HC3000 with this and have to mount it further back than 3.7 metres....

Cheers.
Electric_Haggis is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Member
 
David Cox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote]I have had no problems with the projector, and it has been quite hot in my projection room recently. I even had a DVD player shutdown twice one night and I think it was the heat, but the HD80 never even blinked.

But how are you holding up? Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
I have the hd70 and it warms up my small viewing room pretty quickly. If I go with the hd80 I'll for sure add air-con.
David Cox is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FremontRich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer View Post

I have had no problems with the projector, and it has been quite hot in my projection room recently. I even had a DVD player shutdown twice one night and I think it was the heat, but the HD80 never even blinked.


Hmm.... I believe the higher the room ambient temperature the lower the lamp life. The higher temperatures can also affect the electronic circuitry in the projector.
FremontRich is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

Three questions to all you owners...

1. Can you spot ANY rainbow effect with the new 6x wheel? Even if you look for it on black & white grids?

2. How about colour banding and posterisation? I've found in the past that projectors that offer 5x mode (like the Mitsubishi HC2000) have more of these issues at the faster setting.

3. For those with a 100" screen, exactly how close to the screen can you mount it to get 100"? I might be struggling with a ceiling fan if I replace my Mitsubishi HC3000 with this and have to mount it further back than 3.7 metres....

Cheers.

1. I have seen no rainbows...period. I didn't look for them on any test grids, but in normal movie watching...none.
2. I have seen none of the artifacts you mention.
3. In Evans review, he wrote minimum distance for 100" screen is 13.5 feet. That seems about right. I fill a 106" from about 14 feet or so. Sounds like you need to move the HD80 back about 1 1/2 feet.
Lonely Surfer is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Member
 
jeremyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the firmware updates can be done from home using your computer or is this thing going to have to be sent in to Optoma? I seem to remember some of the older Optoma's had to be sent in to do the firmware updates.
jeremyv is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice projector but with one possible installation flaw:
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...5800p-0,00.htm
reincarnate is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Pratticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. Please help me out.

I'm trying to determine if the HD80 would work in the room that I'm converting to a home theatre.

The room measures 14x11.75x9 (ceiling is 9'). Due to window location, the image must be projected on the 14' wall, meaning the absolute maximum throw distance I could pull off is:

11'9" - 2" (screen depth) - 14" (PJ depth 12" + cable termination 2") = 10'5".

On the HD80 with maximum zoom of 1.2, I get this to yield a 16:9 image that is 77" diagonal (68" W x 38" H).

At 1.5x the width for seating, this puts me at 1.5x68 = 102" optimal viewing distance.

With the furniture I have, the viewing distance will be about 11'9" - 2" (screen depth) - 17" (distance from wall opposite screen to eyes) = 10'2" (122"). This gives me 122/68 = 1.8x width for seating.

I plan on viewing HD-DVD content (1080) and HD content (720) on the PJ through a HTPC.

The room will be 100% light controlled.

My questions are if:
a) my calculations are correct;
b) maximum zoom is a problem and;
c) this PJ will give me a pleasant and crisp 1080 picture given my room?

I had intended the 16:9 to measure 84" W x 45" H, but it appears this PJ has a minimum throw a little longer than I anticipated.

TIA
Pratticus is offline  
Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Lonely Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Optoma site has a good distance/screen calculator: http://www.optomausa.com/distancecalculator.asp
If they don't have one for the HD80, you can use the one for the HD81, since they are the same optically. The projector is very sharp. You can use the iris to control the light output since your screen is not going to be real big.
Lonely Surfer is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Newbie
 
Steffen78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFrrEEddRRiiKK View Post

Don't quite remember if it´s been mentioned in this thread, but has anyone compared the HD80 to the BenQ W9000?

/Fredrik

Thats something I am interested in too...

Would be kind if someone could write something to it.
Steffen78 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wet1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

As far as the projector goes so far I'm very impressed (as much as you can be after an hour or two). Recently I have used a Sony Pearl, JVC RS1, Panasonic PT-AE1000U and an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 and at this point all things considered I'd take the HD80.

It's brighter than the others outside of perhaps the RS1 and the black level is very good especially with mixed contrast screens. Finally, for me not having bad convergence and the resulting increased sharpness makes it a winner. I was tired of seeing red colored outlines around white objects or sections of the image vastly out of focus.

Image wise a little playing around and dropping the color a bit it puts out a great image. I have compared all of the projectors via Crank and it's my favorite overall. Hopefully after a few more hours I'll be just as happy!

The HD80 sounds nice Charles! Could you please compare this PJ to the RS1 in further detail? I'd like to hear your thoughts even though I can't make the HD80 work for my application...

I really wish this PJ had a shorter throw, this long throw lens is a definite deal breaker for me.
Wet1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lack of Objectivity Here
-----------------------
Never forget that guitarman is a paid manufactures representative whose job it is to sell Optoma projectors. His past history leading the Optoma HD81 thread was successful until many owners had the rug pulled out from under them. Big time. Most turned out quite unsatisfied.
The point is that consumers need some truly independent sources to get unbiased information. While the Projector Central review is a good start it is not the final word.
After reading the HD81 thread I'd be concerned with reliability. Maybe Optoma has improved? We will find out in about three months. The price is sweet and that is why this product is turning the front projector marketplace upside-down. Congratulations go to Texas Instruments and possibly Optoma.
reincarnate is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Lack of Objectivity Here
-----------------------
Never forget that guitarman is a paid manufactures representative whose job it is to sell Optoma projectors. His past history leading the Optoma HD81 thread was successful until many owners had the rug pulled out from under them. Big time. Most turned out quite unsatisfied.
The point is that consumers need some truly independent sources to get unbiased information. While the Projector Central review is a good start it is not the final word.
After reading the HD81 thread I'd be concerned with reliability. Maybe Optoma has improved? We will find out in about three months. The price is sweet and that is why this product is turning the front projector marketplace upside-down. Congratulations go to Texas Instruments and possibly Optoma.

Well I'm sold! I was sold even before it was released! When I can make the funds available I will be picking one up!
Splicer010 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Member
 
Jacko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Lack of Objectivity Here
-----------------------
Never forget that guitarman is a paid manufactures representative whose job it is to sell Optoma projectors. His past history leading the Optoma HD81 thread was successful until many owners had the rug pulled out from under them. Big time. Most turned out quite unsatisfied.
The point is that consumers need some truly independent sources to get unbiased information. While the Projector Central review is a good start it is not the final word.
After reading the HD81 thread I'd be concerned with reliability. Maybe Optoma has improved? We will find out in about three months. The price is sweet and that is why this product is turning the front projector marketplace upside-down. Congratulations go to Texas Instruments and possibly Optoma.

ooh! it's not like you to be negative!
Jacko05 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko05 View Post

ooh! it's not like you to be negative!


I'd say his HD81 must of went out on him.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It is funny I wasn't going to say anything in reply. I called it in the other thread when I said I wouldn't do a review thread. The lynch mob likes to show up in my review thread, so there you go. lol
reincarnate, is one of the lynch mobbers. I don't think he has a product it's more a Mommy! he gets all the toys to play with and I want them too.


But get the info straight I don't get paid to do reviews and I don't think Optoma pays others for reviews like Projector Central and WSR. Maybe the magazine pays Greg Rodgers and PC gets $ from dealers probably.
Get the fact straight I became a dealer a year or so ago that's why I'm now considered bias.

I am trying to buy an HD80 and if I do I'll do some better testing and grayscale tuning, better screenshots also.

Oh use sRGB for any component 1080i feed it showed me a very tracking for D65k.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Member
 
Jacko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

It is funny I wasn't going to say anything in reply. I called it in the other thread when I said I wouldn't do a review thread. The lynch mob likes to show up in my review thread, so there you go. lol
reincarnate, is one of the lynch mobbers. I don't think he has a product it's more a Mommy! he gets all the toys to play with and I want them too.


But get the info straight I don't get paid to do reviews and I don't think Optoma pays others for reviews like Projector Central and WSR. Maybe the magazine pays Greg Rodgers and PC gets $ from dealers probably.
Get the fact straight I became a dealer a year or so ago that's why I'm now considered bias.

I am trying to buy an HD80 and if I do I'll do some better testing and grayscale tuning, better screenshots also.

Oh use sRGB for any component 1080i feed it showed me a very tracking for D65k.

Thanks Guitarman, we look forward to that. Keep up the good work!
You have more supporters than dissenters.
Jacko05 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko05 View Post

Thanks Guitarman, we look forward to that. Keep up the good work!
You have more supporters than dissenters.

A couple of years ago Tom tended to be a bit ebullient and even effervescent, in his reviews.

Personally I think his opinions tended to be buoyed by the great joy we all feel at being able to watch movies and tv at home on huge screens with terrific quality. Those who have been playing with these toys for 5 years or more have seen a tremendous revolution in quality while seeing prices for that quality plummet. I remember when I first got into HD 9 years ago I set up my little HT for a front projection system before I started shopping..., but quickly found that to get the quality I was looking for 9 years ago it was going to cost about $50k!

Now here we are discussing a FP that would outshine that $50k projector from 9 years ago in every area except black level.... but for $2,699 MSRP! Now I can forgive someone for getting "excited" about that!

I think anyone that has followed Tom's posts can see a definite change in attitude after Tom purchased some calibration equipment and started taking a more "scientific" approach to his comments and reviews rather than just being an "enthusiast" like most of the rest of us.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post

The HD80 sounds nice Charles! Could you please compare this PJ to the RS1 in further detail? I'd like to hear your thoughts even though I can't make the HD80 work for my application...(

I have been looking for a 1080 projector and recently sold my projector which increased the search. First I tried the a couple of LCD projectors and they were all dim (110" diagonal original FireHawk) especially when calibrated for their best image and had rather harsh convergence errors.

So once the RS1 became available I thought I'd step up (in price and image) to the RS1. It throws a great image with deep blacks and punchy whites at the same time. It's also much brighter than the LCD projectors. Unfortunately the two I looked at had bad shading issues (posted in the RS1 owner's thread) with a clear reddish tint around the outside of the image. Also even using their Pixel Shift utility the convergence wasn't great but one unit was more than acceptable.

I couldn't live with the shading issue so I had to keep searching and honestly I wasn't impressed with the quality level of any of the projectors outside of the Sony's build quality. For me their acceptable tolerance levels were too low and their images suffered accordingly.

Since most of the issues I was seeing were related to the projector having three panels I thought I would try a one-chip DLP. At the same time having "invested" so much in my previous projector and not being impressed with the quality control being offered I didn't think it was wise to invest too much into my next projector.

Looking at the DLP offerings the HD80 fit my installation needs the best although I did have to lower my screen a few inches (which was a good thing). Next the price is great and you don't quite feel the commitment and or pressure of investing in the best of the week model. At less than half the price of the RS1 I'm sure in a couple of years or so I won't mind looking for another upgrade quite as badly.

Anyway to your question comparing the RS1 and the HD80. For starters I don't have many hours on the HD80 yet so my opinion isn't set in stone. I guess I would recap the two this way...

Brightness - The HD80 appears brighter by a little (both bulbs set to low)
Sharpness - The HD80 wins by a far amount.
Contrast - Too close to call. I haven't viewed a lot of dark material on the HD80 yet.
ANSI CR - The HD80 easily wins.
Color - The HD80 wins. I think both can be tweaked fairly well but the RS1's oversaturated colors won't go away no matter what you do. I could spot this easily with a palm plant in the movie Crank.

Overall both throw an image most anyone would be happy with. I however find the HD80 sharper and its higher ANSI CR makes the image really pop. The RS1's image pops and if you didn't compare the two you wouldn't miss the difference but once you see it it's easy to spot.

The only advantage I see with the RS1 is the image is a little more solid. The DLP's image appears to jump around at times. As an example the pixels under someone's eyes might flicker a bit. Perhaps their skin is moving slightly but regardless it appears rather unnatural which I don't ever remember seeing on my old LCoS based projector.
So with my limited time I would pick the HD80 over the RS1 and it being less than half the price simply makes it a no-brainer.
Charles R is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Member
 
robruffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ask anyone who might have solid answers:

How does the HD80 compare to the HD81?
-Are the blacks as deep? How about black detail?

How does it compare to the RS1?
- Blacks and black detail.
- Has anyone noticed LCD-like motion-blurring on the RS1?
- Is motion better on the HD80?
- How about clarity/sharpness?
- Has anyone compared ansi-contrast of these two projectors?

Is 1080i de-interlacing good on the HD80?

MANY people bought an HD72, so we wonder:

- Is the HD80 as bright as an HD72?
- aside from resolution, is PQ (contrast, black level, black detail) better? Black detail was far improved on the HD72 if set to video degamma, so those who only used cinema degamma on the HD72 (which is a poor, black-crushing choice) might try video degamma on the HD72 before commenting.

Thank you in advance to all those on this forum. I don;t drink, but I am a connoisseur/afficionado of PQ the way some people are wine gourmets, and it's so nice to share my enthusiasm with like minds.
robruffo is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Stuttgart
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOW!
Charles R's testimonial is really tipping the scale for me.
I've read plenty of Charles's posts and I'm quite surprised that he likes this cheapie over the mighty RS1!

Wow!
Where's my 10% off CC coupon?

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
Andrikos is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dream1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rio Rancho, NM.
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruffo View Post

How does it compare to the RS1?

Shouldn't we be comparing it to Projectors in its own price range?

The RS-1 is over 2x the price of the HD80. IIRC The only other competitor, at MSRP, is the Epson 1080. How does it compare to that?

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
Dream1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While this is true Dream1, the lines between these two forums have gotten so grey, I think until they figure out how they are going to change it, the comparison is valid.

Being a new product with any potential service issues aside. I'll just say if you can run the HD80, run it!! Out of the four 1080p projectors I tried you woudl have to love it in general. But heck, I went with the Panasonic and from these forums, the consesus is that you'd have to be crazy to chose that over other offerings. None the less, it is the one that is going to work out the best for me.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reincarnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman:
It is funny I wasn't going to say anything in reply. I called it in the other thread when I said I wouldn't do a review thread. The lynch mob likes to show up in my review thread, so there you go. lol
reincarnate, is one of the lynch mobbers. I don't think he has a product it's more a Mommy! he gets all the toys to play with and I want them too.

But get the info straight I don't get paid to do reviews and I don't think Optoma pays others for reviews like Projector Central and WSR. Maybe the magazine pays Greg Rodgers and PC gets $ from dealers probably.
Get the fact straight I became a dealer a year or so ago that's why I'm now considered bias." end post removed by guitarman!
----------------------------
Rather than sticking to the facts we start the incoherent name calling. This is because no one can dispute the fact that many owners got burnt in purchasing the HD81. It sold for double the price than it is selling for now. Add in the reputation for poor customer service and poor reliability.

For example Ultimate AV review lists some of the issues owners here reported:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/v...hd81/index.html

As for the HD80 I'd buy local and get a 30 day no questions asked return insurance policy.
reincarnate is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

----------------------------
Rather than sticking to the facts we start the incoherent name calling. This is because no one can dispute the fact that many owners got burnt in purchasing the HD81. It sold for double the price than it is selling for now. Add in the reputation for poor customer service and poor reliability.

As for the HD80 I'd buy local and get a 30 day no questions asked return insurance policy.

I would certainly agree that Optoma has a checkered past. I love the fact that Optoma constantly pushes the price/performance envelope but they have had more than their share of hardware and Customer Service problems.

Each time Optoma comes out with a new projector I am "hopeful" that they have overcome the "issues" of the past.

So I feel your Trust but Verify approach is reasonable.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
guitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Bay Area San Francisco.
Posts: 12,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ah there's projectors blowing up all over the place, everybody knows this. We take are chances hope for the best and we got the warranty incase there's a catastrophy. I have and H56 running like a champ, a HC2000 running like a champ, a ancient Dwin CRT running like a champ. Yeah I had some PJ's with problems but I don't cry about and tell people to run for the hills.

Hang in there.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
guitarman is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Member
 
Mike Walsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For anyone interested in a VERY simple Panasonic AE900 vs. the HD80 comparison, here's mine after a short 30min of viewing. The contrast and black detail is on a whole different level than the AE900. I am sure that's a combination of switching to DLP technology as well as the higher contrast specs. The sharpness is fantastic. The black levels and sharpness were really my two main gripes with the AE900. This projector solves both of those issues and gives me a nice boost in brightness as well.
I am soooooo happy at this point. $$$$ well spent.

Perhaps an extended MAC warranty to be on the safeside is in order?

Noise level is higher than the AE900. The AE900 really cannot be heard even up close. I have the HD80 mounted above and 2' back from my sitting position and when I remembered to check for it I could plainly hear it. Not objectionable at all and if I was not forcing myself to pay attention to it I would not have identified it.

Greywolf screen works well, however, the best viewing position is standing up (: Picture is plenty bright sitting down though so I might not even bother trying a different screen.
Mike Walsh is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Member
 
Peterhew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do check whether your ImageAI is on, or the lamp in "Brite" mode, in both cases, it will result the noise significantly higher than the usual "low" lamp setting. I have started an owner thread for the HD80. Fellow owners, please share your setting there so that all of us can benefit. This thread is become so long that it is very difficult to see each owner posting their optimum calibrated setting. You can post it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=884647

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post

For anyone interested in a VERY simple Panasonic AE900 vs. the HD80 comparison, here's mine after a short 30min of viewing. The contrast and black detail is on a whole different level than the AE900. I am sure that's a combination of switching to DLP technology as well as the higher contrast specs. The sharpness is fantastic. The black levels and sharpness were really my two main gripes with the AE900. This projector solves both of those issues and gives me a nice boost in brightness as well.
I am soooooo happy at this point. $$$$ well spent.

Perhaps an extended MAC warranty to be on the safeside is in order?

Noise level is higher than the AE900. The AE900 really cannot be heard even up close. I have the HD80 mounted above and 2' back from my sitting position and when I remembered to check for it I could plainly hear it. Not objectionable at all and if I was not forcing myself to pay attention to it I would not have identified it.

Greywolf screen works well, however, the best viewing position is standing up (: Picture is plenty bright sitting down though so I might not even bother trying a different screen.

Peterhew is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wet1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I have been looking for a 1080 projector and recently sold my projector which increased the search. First I tried the a couple of LCD projectors and they were all dim (110" diagonal original FireHawk) especially when calibrated for their best image and had rather harsh convergence errors.

So once the RS1 became available I thought I'd step up (in price and image) to the RS1. It throws a great image with deep blacks and punchy whites at the same time. It's also much brighter than the LCD projectors. Unfortunately the two I looked at had bad shading issues (posted in the RS1 owner's thread) with a clear reddish tint around the outside of the image. Also even using their Pixel Shift utility the convergence wasn't great but one unit was more than acceptable.

I couldn't live with the shading issue so I had to keep searching and honestly I wasn't impressed with the quality level of any of the projectors outside of the Sony's build quality. For me their acceptable tolerance levels were too low and their images suffered accordingly.

Since most of the issues I was seeing were related to the projector having three panels I thought I would try a one-chip DLP. At the same time having "invested" so much in my previous projector and not being impressed with the quality control being offered I didn't think it was wise to invest too much into my next projector.

Looking at the DLP offerings the HD80 fit my installation needs the best although I did have to lower my screen a few inches (which was a good thing). Next the price is great and you don't quite feel the commitment and or pressure of investing in the best of the week model. At less than half the price of the RS1 I'm sure in a couple of years or so I won't mind looking for another upgrade quite as badly.

Anyway to your question comparing the RS1 and the HD80. For starters I don't have many hours on the HD80 yet so my opinion isn't set in stone. I guess I would recap the two this way...

Brightness - The HD80 appears brighter by a little (both bulbs set to low)
Sharpness - The HD80 wins by a far amount.
Contrast - Too close to call. I haven't viewed a lot of dark material on the HD80 yet.
ANSI CR - The HD80 easily wins.
Color - The HD80 wins. I think both can be tweaked fairly well but the RS1's oversaturated colors won't go away no matter what you do. I could spot this easily with a palm plant in the movie Crank.

Overall both throw an image most anyone would be happy with. I however find the HD80 sharper and its higher ANSI CR makes the image really pop. The RS1's image pops and if you didn't compare the two you wouldn't miss the difference but once you see it it's easy to spot.

The only advantage I see with the RS1 is the image is a little more solid. The DLP's image appears to jump around at times. As an example the pixels under someone's eyes might flicker a bit. Perhaps their skin is moving slightly but regardless it appears rather unnatural which I don't ever remember seeing on my old LCoS based projector.
So with my limited time I would pick the HD80 over the RS1 and it being less than half the price simply makes it a no-brainer.

Thank you very much Charles for taking the time to write all that up for us!

I just wish these DLPs can with shorter throw lenses.
Wet1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Member
 
robruffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean it's better in any way, let alone all ways.

For example, last year's 2006 Pioneer 42 inch plasmas had blacks which were inferior in depth to less expensive Panasonic plasmas, but better than far more expensive Sony XBR2 LCD panels of the same size.

This year Pioneer plasmas have far better everything than far more expensive Runco plamas, and my HD72 gives a far nicer, sharper picture than my neighbor's Runco 720p projector, which he paid $6000 for .

It would be a better world if you always got what you paid for, but this is not always true in technology.

If shopping were that easy, we could simply check how much budget we had, and buy whatever fit into that budget, knowing that it was unfailingly "the best we could afford".

It is quite possible that, other than for those unfortunate people who are extremely sensitiev to rainbows, the HD80 is simply better than the RS1, AND the HD81, in all or most ways. Comparison reviews so far seem to indicate that this is true.

I for one am simply looking for any projector under $6000. Just because I have budget doesn't mean I need to snub something only because it costs less.

If there was a $300 projector with better performance than all of the above, I would jump on it! Who knows, maybe in a few years such a projector will be available!

That being said, has anyone tried to compare the HD80 to plasmas? Screen size aside, and assuming a dark room with a reasonably good screen, how does picture quality compare to a recent Panasonic or Pioneer plasma?
robruffo is offline  
 

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Hd80 1080p Home Theater Projector
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off