*Official* Optoma HD80 thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3541 Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I got my new HD80 all setup today and can now watch the Cowboys and Colts and relax. Same first impression super nova bright ouch. I set the Iris to 16 wish it went further My 1080i TV signal is component again sRGB has a good D65k look if I want lighter colors I'll use video gamma instead of the stock PC gamma for sRGB. It's hot in the house today so I put high altitude on. Fan sound that high not bad for me my ears are not what they use to be before Rock and Roll.

Now I can do some more testing and tunings for other signals and hookups since I don't have to give it back.
Nice projector you can have a ton of fun messing around in the menu's.

Oh TV even though HD when gets mixed with SD commercials on Comcast can show white junk at the top of the image. Best way to get rid of it is in the signal menu and raise the vertical. Those static white rectangled lines on top drive me nuts.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3541 Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM

Liked: 10
congrats...
hope my bulb on my h31 burns out soon
post #723 of 3541 Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome back to the club, Guitarman!

The HD80 is still projecting an amazing picture It's also a nice heater for cold winter nights...

Rich
post #724 of 3541 Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Questions? Heck yeah!

HD80 vs. HD73: It's really hard to compare with the screens shots on that page, but can you tell me what you observed difference wise on>

> Contrast
> Shadow Detail
> Dithering

You mentioned the infocus 777 in that review, can tell us what that was about?

And any other interesting points, comparisons, etc. would be welcomed

Thanks, Fleaman

To be honest I haven't studied shadow detail that much between the two, yet, and have had the HD80 up too little time, to realize what I was missing, have discovered, or none.

However the up-and-to-the-right over saturation in the 73's green (which also drags the yellow into lime-world), has caused some distress, and somewhat took my attention away from the watching experience.
I have also not been able to calibrate this colour offset, so from a colour accuracy perspective, I find the 80 much more pleasant (and accurate) to watch, even though it also has its flaws, mainly in the slightly over saturated reds and greens, which I also can't not get rid of. In the HD81, I believe one can through the better colour adjustment menus.
But once again when it comes to the way colours pop off the screen with the 80, I must admit that I somewhat like it, however, as a member of the ISF community, I must keep a fairly objective stand, and say that that presentation might not be, or isn't, what the artist intended. In no way though do I personally feel that they distort the image unacceptably.
Or some artists perhaps would have said well that was a different and interesting way of putting it.

But contrast (and brightness ) is definitely better on the HD80, probably also black level (and detail level within), but I'll need another week or two on that one to be sure.

Dithering; no major benefit against the HD73 as far as I've seen so far, but will do some more testing here.

But the HD73 was more quiet than the HD80, but with my PAL and HD 50 Hz sources, the whining goes down a bit.

And regarding the 777 yes. I wrote that the HD80 is the best projector I've had in my ceiling, since that unit.

/Fredrik

ISF Certified Swede - there is no shortcut to the perfect image!
post #725 of 3541 Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks

Dithering: Kris Deering (secrets of HT) mentioned there is no noticeable dithering on the new 1080 dlp units...none. Yet he hadn't seen the HD80 yet, so it would be interesting if the HD80 differs in this regard since all the newer 1080p units he has seen were probably all high-end DC3's (not that DC3's are less prone to dither).

One of the reasons I asked about this comparison is that the HD73 didn't perform that well (contrast/shadow details) for a DC3 machine...probably at the bottom of the pack for DC3. Not sure what chip the HD80 has...but Optoma seems to avoid calling it an DC3, though it would seem weird that Texas instruments would build a 1080 DC2 chip. In any case, from some of the reports/reviews here, the HD80 appears to perform like a well implemented DC3 machine in that regard....or does it?

Fleaman
post #726 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Thanks

Dithering: Kris Deering (secrets of HT) mentioned there is no noticeable dithering on the new 1080 dlp units...none. Yet he hadn't seen the HD80 yet, so it would be interesting if the HD80 differs in this regard since all the newer 1080p units he has seen were probably all high-end DC3's (not that DC3's are less prone to dither).

One of the reasons I asked about this comparison is that the HD73 didn't perform that well (contrast/shadow details) for a DC3 machine...probably at the bottom of the pack for DC3. Not sure what chip the HD80 has...but Optoma seems to avoid calling it an DC3, though it would seem weird that Texas instruments would build a 1080 DC2 chip. In any case, from some of the reports/reviews here, the HD80 appears to perform like a well implemented DC3 machine in that regard....or does it?

Fleaman

What I think, and this is just based on what i practically see on the screen, is that when we know reach these levels of brightness, contrast, colour and black level, the source will truly be a crucial part of the presentation.
In this regard I sense that the displays know are beyond the source material produced, hence do we see more of the artifacts they produce.
But dithering is perhaps a different topic here, but I guess they in the end combine in some way or other.

Just a thought in the meantime.

/Fredrik

post #727 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFrrEEddRRiiKK View Post

I have also not been able to calibrate this colour offset, so from a colour accuracy perspective, I find the 80 much more pleasant (and accurate) to watch, even though it also has its flaws, mainly in the slightly over saturated reds and greens, which I also can't not get rid of. In the HD81, I believe one can through the better colour adjustment menus.
But once again when it comes to the way colours pop off the screen with the 80, I must admit that I somewhat like it, even though as a member of the ISF community, I must keep a fairly objective stand, and say that that presentation might not be, or isn't, what the artist intended. In no way though do I personally feel that they distort the image unacceptably.
Or some artists perhaps would have said well that was a different and interesting way of putting it.

This quote was exactly want I wanted to say but I just wasn't as efficient at expressing myself as Fredrik

Colors really pop of the screen on the HD80 and I really liked it, but to me after switching back and forth between projectors I felt that all movies almost had the same look due to colors on the Optoma but on the Benq w9000 I felt that I was seeing what was intended.

So in the end it comes down to personal taste I guess.

Hey Fredrik, thank's for reinforcing my belief that it was not possible to get a 100% correct isf calibration result. But hey, maybe in this 99,9 is good enough.
post #728 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 06:22 AM

How good is the shadow detail on dark movies like Unforgiven? I can't stand it when I don't see what is going on in a dark scene.
post #729 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 06:26 AM

If I had that disc here, I would have taken a screenshot from my unit.

However I have the DVE HD-DVD disc, if any clips here could serve a purpose.

I also currently have these HD-DVD titles:

Last Samurai
Superman Returns
Doom
Assault Precinct 13
MI3
Troy
Batman Begins
The Architect
The Way Up Live - Pat Metheny Group

/Fredrik

post #730 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Liked: 12
I just set up my HD80, is there supposed to be a brief fluttering/clicking noise at startup (1 or seconds), or is something wrong with my color wheel? Additionally, I have a new 35 foot HDMI cable, and when hooked to my Dish 622, I have had a lot of flakiness on the HDMI - only bluish on YPbPr color setting, and blank on RGB, then working on RGB, currently Blueish/faded on YPbPr, and Yellow/Overexposed on RGB. Component from Receiver has generally been o.k., but for a time was blue/faded last night. When using same cable from HDXA2 - always perfect. Does this indicate that the outputs on my Dish 622 are problematic? Is it dangerous to hot swap HDMI cables to test things of this nature?
post #731 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moooog View Post

Is it dangerous to hot swap HDMI cables to test things of this nature?

Dangerous? You will not damage, harm or torture anything (except maybe yourself ) by hot swapping or cold swapping HDMI cables to a PJ.

HDMI does have the capability of carrying sound channels, so if it is going/coming from your AV receiver, you may want to turn the volume down just in case your receiver might be weird (pop the speakers)...it shouldn't, but who knows, there are so many different receivers out there.
post #732 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 09:54 AM

Tom (Guitarman) wrote that the noise at start up is the iris running through self diagnosis and back to the "0" setting. All the HD80 projectors (including mine) do that.
post #733 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks - I wondered if it might be the iris, as I had noticed the sound while changing iris positions. Hopefully when I hook up everything through my Denon 4308, the problem with the color outages from my Dish 622 HDMI will disappear. I am using a Monoprice silver cable, everything I have read indicates they pass 1080P just fine. I do find the projector to be an upgrade to my NEC HT1100 (significantly better than the HT1000 in my opinion) with anamorphic lens. It has better greyscale, smaller pixels, and significantly more 3D dimensionality on the 1080P source, and is somewhat brighter. I am not blown away by the detail, blacks and contrast on 1080i sources, but since I was very pleased with the HT1100 - I'm not disappointed or surprised by this. I found the processing on SD material etc. very satisfying with the Sweetvision in the HT1100, and can't say that I see any improvement with the Optoma, scenes are brighter and dark scenes less washed out, but there is more movement in the picture. p.s. - I did mean damage to the projector - who cares about me.
post #734 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Is anyone else using this projector with a DISH network HD receiver? I have tried two different 622s and two different new HDMI cables, and cannot receive a proper color image. I have tried connecting a Samsung upconverting DVD player and a Toshiba HDax2 HDDVD player with no problems. Is there a known issue with Dish HD receivers using HDMI and this projector?
post #735 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

www.homeaudiovideoadvisor.com
Go to Projs. and scroll down for HD80 review. Reviewer liked it better than the JVC!
post #736 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is anyone else using this projector with a DISH network HD receiver? I have tried two different 622s and two different new HDMI cables, and cannot receive a proper color image. I have tried connecting a Samsung upconverting DVD player and a Toshiba HDax2 HDDVD player with no problems. Is there a known issue with Dish HD receivers using HDMI and this projector?

Don't know anything about the dish STB, but if you go through the setup features (thoroughly) you may find a selection for color standards... rec 609, rec 709, Y PbPr, RGB, or who know what they call them.... but try switching to a different standard and then re-checking your colors.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #737 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

www.homeaudiovideoadvisor.com
Go to Projs. and scroll down for HD80 review. Reviewer liked it better than the JVC!

Who is this "Reviewer"? What is your interest in spamming this site in multiple theads?
post #738 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Who is this "Reviewer"? What is your interest in spamming this site in multiple theads?

I think(?) it's 'Charles R' who's been posting in this thread....
post #739 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

moooog and fleaman
Quote:

Is it dangerous to hot swap HDMI cables to test things of this nature?

While it should not be so, overdoing it might possibly be a bit dangerous.
At least I did cook a DVI input on a plantronics lcd doing this. It was pretty early in the DVI days, so maybe the circuitry was not up to present "robustness".
I'd at least take some care. Avoid static electricity for one thing.
post #740 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteves View Post

moooog and fleaman

While it should not be so, overdoing it might possibly be a bit dangerous.
At least I did cook a DVI input on a plantronics lcd doing this. It was pretty early in the DVI days, so maybe the circuitry was not up to present "robustness".
I'd at least take some care. Avoid static electricity for one thing.

Now that I think about it, it would be good practice to not hot-swap. If your connectors are a little off or damage-out of alignment, there's chance you could cross-short a neighboring pin.

It would be safer to power down before cable swaps. Not to mention, who knows if some processors in PJ's, players, etc., which are basically computers, could be corrupted by hot swapping.

Fleaman
post #741 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM

Tried running different cables through a new Denon 4308, but strong purple washed out image persists over HDMI. Are these the sort of things a firmware update can fix? The 622 is Dish's current flagship HD DVR, but the unit is a year old, perhaps the new 722 coming out on the 15th will have a newer and better HDMI output.
post #742 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just set up my HD80, is there supposed to be a brief fluttering/clicking noise at startup (1 or seconds), or is something wrong with my color wheel? Additionally, I have a new 35 foot HDMI cable, and when hooked to my Dish 622, I have had a lot of flakiness on the HDMI - only bluish on YPbPr color setting, and blank on RGB, then working on RGB, currently Blueish/faded on YPbPr, and Yellow/Overexposed on RGB. Component from Receiver has generally been o.k., but for a time was blue/faded last night. When using same cable from HDXA2 - always perfect. Does this indicate that the outputs on my Dish 622 are problematic? Is it dangerous to hot swap HDMI cables to test things of this nature?

HDMI s/b YCbCr colorspace, is there a choice colorspace setup in the Dish receiver?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #743 of 3541 Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 PM

I did find an HDMI test page buried under diagnostics and analysis that has a color space tab. It is set to RGB, and is currently greyed out and wont allow me to change it. The only button that is available is a reset HDMI button, which I believe changed the "HDCP Enable" button to On. Lots of status and info pages regarding HDMI status, but I've tried switching the projector to RGB with no luck. It looks like there are numerous ongoing software updates and changes to this receiver which may be causing issues with the HDMI port.
post #744 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Works fine with our DISH Vip 622 box via component cables. Great pictures. Can't say anything about the HDMI output from the boz to the PJ because on our 622 the HDMI connector has not worked for quite some time.
post #745 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 AM

Approx. 1 yr. ago my 622 was replaced and solved similar problems w/ my HD72.
post #746 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
How HD80 treats 1080i/60Hz and 1080i/50hz signals? Does it go like 1080i > 540p or is it done properly?
post #747 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 10:52 AM

Dishnetwork tech told me that the 622 HDMi is probably just incompatible with my Optoma HD80, which could be true as the 622 sends an o.k. signal over HDMI to my outdoor Sunbrite deck television on a 50' cable. However, if you folks are able to use it with older Optoma projectors, I find that hard to swallow that it won't work with this one, as I thought HDMI was backwards compatible from it's different versions. I also notice that the 622 says that my Denon 4308 and Optoma only support 720p and 480i, which is incorrect. Darn, well if anyone is pairing a HD80 with Dish Network's 622 over HDMI, and getting it to work I'd appreciate a holler.
post #748 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

How HD80 treats 1080i/60Hz and 1080i/50hz signals? Does it go like 1080i > 540p or is it done properly?

No bob to 540p if that's what you mean. 1080 is recognized.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #749 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Okay, I have a question about Offset.

Tell me if I have this right. If I get the HD80, and I have a 45" x 80" screen, and the mount brings the projector 4" below the ceiling, the top of my screen will have to be 20.2" from the ceiling (45" screen height x .36 offset = 16.2" + 4" mount)? Do I have that right?

I have a pretty small room, but I think it's doable. I can put the projector at the back of the room, so I will have a good 13' - 14' between the projector and the screen. My screen (assuming I did the offset figuring right) will be closer to the floor than I would like, but it shouldn't be a big deal since I have only one row of seating.

I will REALLY appreciate any responses (confirmations or corrections) for the above. I want to order this on Monday, so it's time sensitive.
post #750 of 3541 Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's correct, look to have the projector more near 14' back. I use a 106" diag and I'm at 14' back and barely make it with max zoom. You'll have it easier with your 100" diag.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Hd80 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page