*Official* Optoma HD80 thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3547 Old 06-25-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
6x speed; sounds promising for us rbe sensitive folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3547 Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

"CRT in a side by side comparison would have smoked the HD-80."

It's all according to what you're smoking. I don't have a great CRT Dwin HD700 but I turn it off when it comes to HQ HDTV viewing. The Dwin is too mushy for me and I've grown to like the clean sharpness of a 1chip DLP machine. Contrast and blacks have come along nicely on the recent digital machines, easy to live with.

Talked with my Optoma contact today and he'll send me a machine asap, oh boy!. A couple of details, the HD80 has the same colorwheel as the HD81 RGB/dg/RGB 6x speed, it uses a Pixelworks soluiton chip to cover the 1080 deinterlacing. The Pixelworks will do a decent job, not up to the level of Gennum though. Still $2999 you can't get it all but the machine does have many of the HQ items in the Flagship HD81.

I agree...I never really knew what to call the CRT quality that I dislike but "mushy" is pretty darn close...CRTs are tops for contrast but they have many other short-comings that the digitals don't...the current day dlp blacks are acceptable for all but the hyper-"black-hole"-sensitive...maybe my eyes don't work properly but DC3s with an iris are as good as I need.
post #63 of 3547 Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any news on release dates for this? Will it be displayed (and displaying) at CEDIA?
post #64 of 3547 Old 06-28-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
There's already some out there but I missed the first batch. Next batch is in 2 weeks I'm up for one then.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #65 of 3547 Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

"CRT in a side by side comparison would have smoked the HD-80."

It's all according to what you're smoking. I don't have a great CRT Dwin HD700 but I turn it off when it comes to HQ HDTV viewing. The Dwin is too mushy for me and I've grown to like the clean sharpness of a 1chip DLP machine. Contrast and blacks have come along nicely on the recent digital machines, easy to live with. .

He did say a "In the enclosed, blacked out room that was being used, a good 9" CRT in a side by side comparison would have smoked the HD-80"

The Dwin 700 is not a 9" CRT, it is a 7"AC ES focus CRT, the bottom of the barrel as far as CRTs go
post #66 of 3547 Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think I was the first person to mention CRT's in this thread, and I didn't mean for it to become another CRT / Digital war.

What I said in my post was the RS1 was more 'CRT like' compared to the HD80. While some people will prefer a razor sharp image for film presentations compared to a 'mushy', or some would say 'smoother' image of a LcOS digital or CRT is just a matter of personal prerence.

From my brief observation, the HD80 is a very bright, very sharp, and very affordable 1080p projectorn that would satisify a large group of users. However there are some who prefer the less sharp smoothness you see in film for watching movies. For those with that preference, LcOS, DiLA, SXRD and CRT might be a better option.

Jonathan
post #67 of 3547 Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Definitely what you like. Tons of times I consider trying different projectors like Charles has a JVC SX21u for sale right now (looking for a sharp 4.3 setup) or a Sony or a Pany LCD with smooth screen , Epson many types. But my biggest fear is a softer picture than I'm use to. Super sharp to me is what HD should look like anything else I just feel left short. I dumped two Sony LCD's in a flash because of this. The CRT I got for $400 and use it to watch Lucille Ball.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #68 of 3547 Old 06-29-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a difference..sharp vs detailed.
Newbe's are looking for sharp image all the time.
Everytime I go to BB I see them looking at these flats and saying..oooh that is sharp.
We need rich, saturated, smooth and accurate. As long as it can do one pixel who cares for the rest. Someone who disputes a well set up hi end CRT performance, has a lot of learning to do imo.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #69 of 3547 Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I dumped two Sony LCD's in a flash because of this. The CRT I got for $400 and use it to watch Lucille Ball.

Worked at Universal Studios many many moons ago while putting myself through college.

Tom I think your CRT is absolutely the perfect choice for Lucille Ball....... you see during close up filming with "older" stars the director would put a piece of "cheesecloth" over the lens to smooth and even out the image.

Now it was rumored that for Lucille Ball they actually used a old Navajo Blanket!

I cannot believe Wing "dissed" you on the first shipment...... what is this world coming to? Doesn't he realize how many tech addicts there are hanging around this place?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #70 of 3547 Old 06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pretty well up on maxing out CRTs. I do have a 57" Hitachi RPTV that I went all out on also, that one looks good. As far as front's I'm on the look out for a Barco 808s to see if it's any better.

Wing let them get away, or actually the bosses let them get away. The first go to the high up the ladder installers and some dealers, there was only 100 machines. I'm a dealer but rarely sell or have sold anything, it's just an option for me incase I need something (personal).

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #71 of 3547 Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Look for at least 8" class such as Nec XG LC, Marquee 8500LC, Sony G70. Has to be EM focus and liquid coupled (LC), or better yet 9" class.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #72 of 3547 Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the tips. I got a guy locally with a 100" Motorized Stewart Studio Tech for a hundred bucks. Great score for a CRT setup.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #73 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I got a guy locally with a 100" Motorized Stewart Studio Tech for a hundred bucks. Great score for a CRT setup.

I thought this tread was about the new Optoma fp,Not out dated crt's crap,BOB
post #74 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep gotta do something while waiting in Limbo for a test machine, right now the HD80 is still fiction.

The CRT guys know their stuff, just good to get some needed info while waiting for the HD80 to surface. I'll start a seperate review thread for that machine.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #75 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
CC just sent me an email saying that they have it in stock, ready to ship.

I called them and I could receive it on Tue (if it would fit in my room, sadly, it will not).

It's not in stores; only shipping.

Jim Story
Here's to deeper black and higher contrast on a 120" HP screen.
post #76 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I will be anxious to see how this unit works for you since it is on my short list of possible units to get this year.

Has anybody found the specs on this unit? does it have lens shift or not? Like I have said before in previous posts, I am so limited on space that only certain units are going to work. I went with the Panasonic AE900 due to its flexibility for installation.

I really want to improve my black levels so I am waiting for a DLP that will work in my room setup..
post #77 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to add, the CC email and web site says it is DC3.

I'm guessing that it has same room placement specs as HD81, thus it will not fit in my room (too bad). See below:
____________________________________________________________ _____

Highlights Customer reviews How to get it Specifications Accessories
Be the first person to rate this product!

Features
Optoma Home Theater Projector (HD80)

DLP technology: Digital Light Processing (DLP) is the world's only all-digital display solution. Texas Instruments' advanced DarkChip3 chipset delivers astonishing detail and superior color reproduction.

Home theater performance: The HD80 has studio-grade resolution (1920 x 1080) and a best all-around display experience for home theater enthusiasts. With a brightness of 1300 lumens and the superior 10,000:1 contrast ratio, colors remain true and vibrant.

High-definition viewing: The HD80 is a native 1080p high-definition projector.

Easy to control: The wireless remote lets you take command of your presentations and your home theater.

Advanced video processing: The video enhancement processor features an advanced three-step process flow: decoding, image enhancement and color reproduction enhancement. This allows for impressive, personalized adjustment at each stage.

Connection options: This projector features a variety of connections: HDMI (2), DVI-I w/HDCP, Component Video, Composite Video, S-Video, RS-232, and +12V Trigger Relay.

Jim Story
Here's to deeper black and higher contrast on a 120" HP screen.
post #78 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Story View Post

I forgot to add, the CC email and web site says it is DC3.

I'm guessing that it has same room placement specs as HD81, thus it will not fit in my room (too bad). See below:
____________________________________________________________ _____

Highlights Customer reviews How to get it Specifications Accessories
Be the first person to rate this product!

Features
Optoma Home Theater Projector (HD80)

DLP technology: Digital Light Processing (DLP) is the world's only all-digital display solution. Texas Instruments' advanced DarkChip3 chipset delivers astonishing detail and superior color reproduction.

Home theater performance: The HD80 has studio-grade resolution (1920 x 1080) and a best all-around display experience for home theater enthusiasts. With a brightness of 1300 lumens and the superior 10,000:1 contrast ratio, colors remain true and vibrant.

High-definition viewing: The HD80 is a native 1080p high-definition projector.

Easy to control: The wireless remote lets you take command of your presentations and your home theater.

Advanced video processing: The video enhancement processor features an advanced three-step process flow: decoding, image enhancement and color reproduction enhancement. This allows for impressive, personalized adjustment at each stage.

Connection options: This projector features a variety of connections: HDMI (2), DVI-I w/HDCP, Component Video, Composite Video, S-Video, RS-232, and +12V Trigger Relay.

It looks like I am in the same boat. It does not appear to have a lens shift on it...

I guess I should go over and look at either the Panasonic or Epson 1080 LCD units..
post #79 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

I'll have to wait too. I need an image at least as large as my HD1000, and I'd have to sacrifice 10 inches off my already small 92 diagonal screen.
post #80 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm also guessing that this unit has the same huge offset that the HD81 has.... too bad.

Robert Clark
post #81 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 02:12 PM

I am going back to my same old question, can this HD80 scale 720p or 1080p input to fit the 16/9 screen vertically stretching it? Since HD80 does not come with external scaler like HD81, I wonder if it is capable of true 2.35 CH setup?

Too early to ask this question above, but the brightness and sharpness of this projector at the 1080p resolution looks promising.

*Prabhat*
post #82 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

prabhatb,

When I saw it at Infocomm, they had it running with the optional anamorphic lens, so, I would 'guess' that the internal scaler with do a vertical stretch for CH setups. The engineers had already left the show, and the reps couldn't confirm, but it would be crazy for them to sell an anamorphic lens as an option, and not be able to support CH without the use of an external scaler. Especially since the HD81 is now about 1K more, and they don't sell the scaler stand-alone.

Jonathan
post #83 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 08:09 PM

Even the HD70 does that, so I'm sure the HD80 will.
A little bit of extra news:

http://www.my411family.com/electroni...ojector_Review
post #84 of 3547 Old 06-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Surfer View Post

Even the HD70 does that, so I'm sure the HD80 will.
A little bit of extra news:

http://www.my411family.com/electroni...ojector_Review

The above test claims that "The Optoma HD80 is a DLP Projector with Texas Instruments® 0.95� DarkChip3. "

Is it really a DC3 instead of a DC2
post #85 of 3547 Old 07-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Playing with some URL's on the optoma site turned up the product page for the HD80. Users manual and other info is available. It does not state if the unit uses DC3 or DC2.

http://www.optomausa.com/Product_det...product_id=331
post #86 of 3547 Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

From the 411 review and the Optoma page, vertical offset of 35% of screen height, just like the HD81. Where does Optoma think people mount their projectors...below the floor and above the ceiling?
post #87 of 3547 Old 07-01-2007, 12:21 PM

I agree that less offset would be nice and more versatile, but I have pretty good luck with mounting my HD70 on a 19" high coffee table. I have a 2.35 screen masked off on the wall and also a 106" 16x9 pulldown. Each screen can be filled with no keystoning. The vertical shift helps in fine tuning the image placement on the screen. That being said, it takes a bit of care in the placement of these Optoma projectors.
post #88 of 3547 Old 07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It always amuses me how some people claim that CRT black is the most film-like, yet in reality, the blacks at the cinema are inferior to cheap darkchip3 DLPs like the Mitsu HC3100...

Kind of goes to show how we lost proportions in the quest for recreating the cinema at our homes.

If the HD80 has anything remotely close to 10,000:1 real native CR, then it already surpassed the blacks of the real theaters by a large margin. In my book, wanting more than this, equals greed.
post #89 of 3547 Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks JRWhite for telling us what you have seen in the Optoma demo.

And thanks to f300v10 for the optoma user manual link.

While most of the 720p/1080p projectors are capable of streching 2.35 DVD material for lens use, they don't necessarily stretch HD source (like HD/Blue Ray). That's because, unlike DVDs which are anamorphically enhanced, HD/Blue rays are not.

I went through HD80 manual. The good news is the manual says it can stretch HD 2.35 source. It does not say whether it can stretch 720p or 1080p or both and at what frequency. HD81 can stretch 1080p input @ 48hz with it's external scaler.

From HD80 manual: "If you use an external 16x9 lens, this LBX mode also allows you to watch a 2.35:1 content (include Anamorphic DVD and HDTV film source) that support anamorphic wide is enhanced for 16x9 Display in a wide 2.35:1 image."

It will be a bummer if HD80 has to depend an external, expensive scaler to deal with 1080p input. In that case HD81 is more attractive with this feature.

*Prabhat*
post #90 of 3547 Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

It always amuses me how some people claim that CRT black is the most film-like, yet in reality, the blacks at the cinema are inferior to cheap darkchip3 DLPs like the Mitsu HC3100...

Kind of goes to show how we lost proportions in the quest for recreating the cinema at our homes.

If the HD80 has anything remotely close to 10,000:1 real native CR, then it already surpassed the blacks of the real theaters by a large margin. In my book, wanting more than this, equals greed.

I come from a film hobbiest background, and at one time had a 35mm projector with a 1000 watt xenon lamphouse and a large collection of films, including dye transfer IB Tech fims, and vintage high silver content black and white prints. Today's prints in the theater leave a lot to be desired with their murky blacks, and jump and weave due to high speed printing. Some of my old prints were awe inspiring. I had a B&W print of "In Cold Blood" and I have never seen a video anything that could match that gray scale. Some of the IB Technicolor prints were just wonderful, with the deepest of blacks, beautiful contrast, and spectacular colors.
I still think the film look is the holy grail for video, but it depends on what "look" you're after. There are a lot of horrible looking film prints out there, especially these days.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Optoma Projectors , Optoma Hd80 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page