Projector for college dorm room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Me and my firieds want to get a projector for the living room part of our dorm room suite next year. The room is about 12x20 and has blinds. I was thinking of building a stand and putting it on one of the longer walls facing aross.

1. what models should we be looking at? we of course want it to be fairly cheap, and will probably by second hand off cragslist or similar. Maybe like 400-600 or maybe more if it has good resale value.

2. Is this a feasable idea? Will turning it on and off often significntly affect the life of the projector? bright enough?

3. what models should we be looking at? i was thinking the infocus IN72 but i havent done too much reasearch

4. what about a screen? is a white texured wall, remember we will pretty much be restricted to tape for mounting as its a dorm room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Well, if you had asked this a couple weeks ago, Circuit City had the Optoma DV10 on sale for like $600. According to all the reviews, it is a really good projector and has built in speakers.

I own the HD70 and I think it's great. Most of what you're going to hear around here is HD70 or HD1000u. Both at this point are out of your price range new but I guess you may be able to find one used for around the top end of what you want to pay.

The IN72 is not a projector I know a lot about but if you read a bit around here, you will find plenty of people posting about it. It's a 480p projector which isn't high def but I haven't seen too many people that own them complaining about that. I've seen them a couple places on clearance so you can probably get a pretty good price at retail for it.

Overall though, keep reading. There's tons of info around here.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks. also, it has to be able to play games (no delay).
post #4 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 PM

I'm trying to do the same thing in my dorm room, and the IN72 looks like it would be great for your price bracket for a standard projector

However, if you are looking for anything in 720p (great for xbox 360/ps3 games), I would look at the HD1000U by mitsubishi or the Epson Powerlite 400.

I haven't actually purchased mine yet, so this is all hypothetical, but:

The problem I ran into was I can't mount a projector from the ceiling because, like you said, it's a dorm room. The mitsubishi is a great projector, but it's DLP. Apparently these have to be either very low to the ground (18 inches ish) or very high up and upside down. I don't want to put an expensive projector high up on a bookcase upside down... it seems like an expensive accident waiting to happen.

But with the LCD Epson 400 projector, you can adjust the lens to put the image wherever you'd like (at the cost of image quality, but supposedly it isn't too much of a loss). So I could set it on a bookcase rightside up and adjust the lens to get a great picture.

So, if your room is anything like mine (10.5x20, with furniture all over), I'd go with the epson. It has a great rebate right now, pulling it below 1000$. Now I realize this is more than the price bracket you mentioned, but it would have a 720P HD quality picture when hooked up to a ps3/360 with HD cables.

Also keep in mind, you'll likely need some sort of speaker system with a projector if you want any sort of decent sound. I'm not a fan of the preinstalled speakers on projectors.

Btw, if anyone reading this disagrees with what I'm saying, please speak up, as I'd rather know now before I make a 1000$ mistake
post #5 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Man o Man, what happened to the days of 10 guys stuffed into a dorm room all wanting to play Madden at the same time on a 15"crt...
post #6 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 PM

That's what last year was like. 8 guys in a 10x10 room trying to play cod3 and NBA live on a 20 inch crt...with only 2 chair available. It was fun, but it's time to upgrade
post #7 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevuda View Post

That's what last year was like. 8 guys in a 10x10 room trying to play cod3 and NBA live on a 20 inch crt...with only 2 chair available. It was fun, but it's time to upgrade

I hear ya. When I was in college, I wouldn't have even dreamed of being able to afford a projector. I played football in college so the guys would have been so rowdy that they would have found a way to break the thing anyhow.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

hmmI thought in in72 was 1080 but thats just an excepted input i guess

these members posted pics look pretty damn good though

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10793887
post #9 of 14 Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

I say save a little more and get the epson that way you can put it whereever you want and it would be extremely bright you could just close the blinds and play during the day between classes and such. Or just take out some extra loans, what is another 1k heaped onto the pile of loans?

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 AM
TCB
Advanced Member

We didn't have 10 guys crowded around a 15" CRT when I was in college. However, I vaguely recall 10 guys crowded around a glass thing that gurgled and produced a lot of smoke.

Check out my Simon and Garfunkel tribute duo:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my music at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post

We didn't have 10 guys crowded around a 15" CRT when I was in college. However, I vaguely recall 10 guys crowded around a glass thing that gurgled and produced a lot of smoke.

tmi
post #12 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
this maybe a shameless plug..but I have a great system for sale in the display side of the forum.

tony4k
post #13 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

this maybe a shameless plug..but I have a great system for sale in the display side of the forum.

I agree.

Pretty shameless
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2007, 06:55 AM

The first thing I would do is set your budget (and stick to it), determine what you really want, then do your research. It's pretty easy to spend a lot of money on this kinda stuff. I'm a college student myself living in a dorm room (12'x14') and these are the things I thought about and what I decided on in ()...

Cost? (<$1000)
What it's going to be used for? (NFL, video games, movies)
High Def? (720p)
Lighting conditions (some ambient lighting during sports)
Mounting it (Shelf high up in back of the room)
Connectivity (Coax for TV, Xbox 360, Upconverting DVD player, PC)
Desired screen size? (100")
How long do you plan to keep it? (3 years)

2) Just turning it on/off isn't a big issue, but striking a bulb that's hot IS. In other words you don't want to turn off your projector and then 5 minutes later decide you want to watch something again. You want to give the bulb a chance to cool before turning it back on, which I think most people say is ~30 minutes.

3) I'm not sure of the projectors in your price range, but I imagine you could pick up a used, early model 720p projector in that price. Others can probably comment on the feasibility of that.

4) There is a whole section discussing DIY screens. That is probably your last concern though and most people suggest projecting onto a wall for a few days until you determine what size is ideal for your room. I would say project onto the wall or build your own and save your money.

I decided to go with the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 400. It's an LCD based projector with plenty of lumens (brightness) to deal with ambient lighting when I have friends over for sports games. It's also fairly flexible in terms of placement and screen size for ~$900 which fits into my budget perfectly.

One last thing you need to consider is bulb replacements. They can run around $200-$300 so you need to keep that in mind, especially when buying a projector used. Like PrimeTime said, there is a TON of info here and my experience has been that just about everyone is willing to help and share what they know.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page