Does anybody ever feel sick when playing a game on a projector? (eg. large screen) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've never had problems playing games before, but for some reason when I play FPS (first person shooters) on my big projector screen, I start feeling sick. First I'll get the sweats and then I'll just feel sick all around.

Now, it could have something to do with the heat in my basement (it's about 80 degrees down there and I have no way to cool it off), but I'm thinking it's because of the large screen size (110") and my distance from the screen (7').

Has anybody experienced this before?

I can play on my Dell 24" Widescreen computer monitor just fine and don't feel sick at all, so I don't understand what's going on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Oh, my God, I thought it was just me. Actually, I'm only playing on a 52" DLP from about 10' away, but I get the same feeling when I play Call of Duty on my PS3. I don't really get it with Resistance: FoM, but I think it's because I move faster and scan side to side faster with CoD. The first time it happened, I thought it was the flu or something, but then I started to see the correlation with the game. It's like carsickness or something. I'm trading the game in tomorrow at GameStop.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #3 of 32 Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post

I've never had problems playing games before, but for some reason when I play FPS (first person shooters) on my big projector screen, I start feeling sick. First I'll get the sweats and then I'll just feel sick all around.

Now, it could have something to do with the heat in my basement (it's about 80 degrees down there and I have no way to cool it off), but I'm thinking it's because of the large screen size (110") and my distance from the screen (7').

I can play on my Dell 24" Widescreen computer monitor just fine and don't feel sick at all, so I don't understand what's going on...

It's not the heat. It's a known problem with people.. Sorry but don't play FPS on a projector.. I don't get sick but at the short distance I play on a 102" screen find it to difficult to play since I have to look from left to right and up and down to see everything..

EDIT: Wow I thought I sat close.. Eye distance for me is 8.5 feet from the 102" screen. You must have a real hard time viewing the entire screen at that distance..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #4 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:

I had the exact same thing happen to me. For me, it was definitely the screen size and the distance. I didn't measure my screen size in the beginning since it was projected onto the wall, but I decreased it dramatically to around 90 inches. I sit around 9 feet from the wall/screen. After the size decrease, that sick/nauseus feeling went away.

Mel

Mel
post #5 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 AM

Happened to me too when playing Half-Life 2 w/ the Wiimote. I was thinking it was the fact that I was trying to get used to the new control scheme, and I couldn't just look exactly where my brain wanted to.

At first I got the sweats, and figured a short break would help, but it put me out of commission for the remainder of the evening...at least for playing games.

I also love to race on my big screen, and I had a girlfriend who got sick trying to watch me race. It never bothers me, though.

I might try Half-Life 2 again, but I'll try standing farther back next time as suggested.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM

I'm curious, do you guys have DLP or LCD FP? This has happened to me too and I have a DLP.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 AM

Liked: 11
I can't play FPS games at all - they all make me sick like that regardless of what kind of display device I use.
post #8 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM

LCD...Sanyo PLV-Z4 to be specific.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Simple motion sickness, similar to reading in a moving vehicle...

Try Dramamine before playing

(I'm not kidding...be sure you're not allergic so it won't kill you...)
post #10 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post

LCD...Sanyo PLV-Z4 to be specific.

This is the same projector I'm using.

How are you playing Half-Life 2 with the Wii Remote? (I didn't think it was out for the Wii?)

Anyways, I've most recently had this problem with The Darkness for the X-Box 360, Resident Evil 4 - Wii Edition for the Wii, and Gears of War for the X-Box 360.

It's really, really annoying because I enjoy FPS games and not being able to play them on my projector is a real bummer. (and I don't have multiple X-Box 360s that I can simply take my game and play it on a different TV)
post #11 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 AM

I've had this happen with LCD, DLP and even my old CRT rear pro at times. COD was the worst, Gears of War didn't bother me for some reason.
post #12 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
mjn

DOOM gets me no matter what size screen. The way the gun sways when you walk, I am spinning in minutes.

Otherwise I can play Halo2 on my LCD FP with out a problem. 10ft from 92" diag. And I get sick very quickly watching anything on DLP.
post #13 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM

I'm 15 ft back from a 106" screen, I've never had a problem with motion sickness though. A lot of people do though.

My stepdad will get visibly sick in minutes when watching any movie that goes into a first person camera or when it moves around the room as if you were watching it in a roller coaster.
post #14 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM

its just motion sickness. try to sit a little further back from the screen, or decrease the picture size form your projector.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 AM

sofakng - I was playing HL2 on the PC using the wiimote. You have to be pretty PC savvy to get it working, but since the wiimote uses bluetooth it is possible. This guy named Pat Glynn wrote a driver specifically for HL2, and it's pretty cool if you can get it working.

Here is a link.

I agree about the distance to screen thing b/c when I'd sit on the couch with the mouse/controller I never had a problem with any FPS or any game for that matter.

When I use the wiimote I stand up in front of the couch and am a few feet closer to the screen trying to get completely immersed.

I may have to get some Dramamine!
post #16 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s View Post

I can't play FPS games at all - they all make me sick like that regardless of what kind of display device I use.

I'm like erick.s all FPS games make me sick. I first discovered playing DOOM on the PC didn't quite know what to make of it. Then Playing Halo within 15 minutes me head is spinning and im feeling extremely nauseas. I can't even watch my kids play. Funny thing is I can play racing games all day long with no problems and I actually prefer to have a first person view of the road, while everyone else I know gets sick with that view.

I was at CVS the other day & noticed the dramamine or motion sickness pills and thought if this might be a solution has anyone (Rgb) actually tried to see if this helps?
post #17 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

110"@7'!!...... that is your issue my friend

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #18 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I never felt sick playing videogames until I got my projector, it passed after the first couple of nights but good god was my stomach in knots at first. I have a DLP.
post #19 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM

I get nauseous on Half Life 2 but not for any other game, FPS or not. For me, it's not just on a projector. I get it just as bad on my 19" LCD monitor. The funny thing is that it's worse on the game sequences where you're on a boat. I was told that in Half Life 2, perhaps unlike other FPS games, there's often movement on the screen even when the character isn't in motion, such as when you're in a boat. This produces the motion sickness.
post #20 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM

i felt weezy at first, then I sucked it up and continued gaming. To continue is the most important thing
post #21 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM

I tried to continue after the sweats, but then the nausea became overwhelming. That's 1 horse I had to wait to jump back on.
post #22 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
whiskey,

There are certain games that give me a certain amount of dizziness that I can push through and get better with over time. However, if you get real motion sickness like what is being described you cannot keep going... It's like having vertigo your head spins, lunch is going in the wrong direction, and after 15 mins. of gameplay it takes an hour or two if not longer to feel better. It is bad and affects a very small percentage of players, unfortunately im one of them.
post #23 of 32 Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I play my ps3 on a 106" screen from about 9' away, but ive never gotten sick before, sometimes i get tears in my eyes but that is more from enjoyment
post #24 of 32 Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM

I only get sick if I attempt to watch someone else play. 15' from 106". FPS and bumper cams on racing games are brutal. I suppose its not any different than getting car sick when someone else is driving. Or maybe its just the terrible fear I have when my wife is behind the wheel.
post #25 of 32 Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just re-measured and I'm actually almost 11' from my 110" screen (so the measurement in my original post was incorrect).

The THX recommended distance is 12.3 feet so I'm pretty close I guess...

Still, maybe the screen is too big for my distance and that's why it makes me sick...
post #26 of 32 Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

I don't feel bad, my screens at like 70" from 9 feet though.
post #27 of 32 Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM

to close to the screen 7 feet back man that will kill you.WOW
post #28 of 32 Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
At that close, just watching movies would make me barf, let alone a FPS. Have you tried either sitting further away or making the image significantly smaller on your screen? I'm sure for some people, those things wouldn't matter either.

I get motion sickness in planes and boats, but not from driving or video games. I play on a 106" screen, but from about 15' back. I'm surprised the games even look good that close up. I figured you would see every pixel from that close.
post #29 of 32 Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I play about 9 feet from 110 and I'm still trying to get used to it. I guess lowering the sensitivity on the controller will make your guy act slower but you won't be as sick as you are I suppose.

It would be extremely hard doing this with twitch games like Shadowrun...

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #30 of 32 Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dball2323 View Post

I only get sick if I attempt to watch someone else play. 15' from 106". FPS and bumper cams on racing games are brutal. I suppose its not any different than getting car sick when someone else is driving. Or maybe its just the terrible fear I have when my wife is behind the wheel.

ROFL!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page