Samsung SP-H710AE Great Deal! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 659 Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I took down my Samsung because I was having problems with it. Originally, I did not reseat all connectors. This time, I reseated all the connectors and took off the ferrules. I have not had a problem since then. I wonder if the ferrules were the problem, not by causing the connectors to become loose (which I have a hard time believing), but perhaps causing some other problem (like a timing problem)?

All I have to say is what a phenomenal picture this is, couples with a high power screen. It's amazing, and I never go above low power on the lamp.

Next, I have to put in some nice fans. The fans are a little loud in scenes with no talking, as the projector is directly above our heads.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 659 Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any ideas what else could be causing a dim picture other than a bad bulb? Right now the dim picture is by far the main reason I would replace this projector.

I replaced a two-year-old bulb (~900 hours) in November expecting a jump in brightness but I didn't notice any change. I have tried switching between the "bright" and "theater" lamp modes but even the bright mode is weak. Last weekend my wife and I were watching the Social Network dvd at night with all the nights out and we were constantly switching video modes and adjusting the picture settings just to see some of the scenes. It was pretty bad. Perhaps I got a dud bulb but I don't want to spend $150 on another bulb to test a theory at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.
post #633 of 659 Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I measured 14 ft lamberts in theater mode with my custom settings. Brightness is at 51 and contrast I think at 49 or something very close to 50. It's isn't the brightest projector but it is bright enough in a light controlled room. I had an Epson 8350 for a few days and it indeed was brighter but for me it was like going from theater mode to normal and then taking it one more step higher. (eco mode on 8350)

If you have placement flexibility, you can zoom out as far as you can and then move the projector closer. You may be too far back and zooming in to fit the screen.

What size screen are you using? I'm currently at 100" and will be going to 110" soon and my projector is about 14' back.

I wouldn't risk buying a new bulb. I think you'd get the same result.
post #634 of 659 Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 PM

My screen is 106" and the projector is zoomed out all the way (widest picture for the mounting distance).

What is your technique for measuring the brightness of the projected image?
post #635 of 659 Old 04-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using an Eye One Display meter. It measures light. You can read more about it in the calibration section. What screen are you using?
post #636 of 659 Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well after nearly four years, my Sammy gave me real trouble last night. Turned on, bulb ran for maybe 30 seconds, then no more light. Repeated this about 4 times and gave up.

Something similar had happened last year, perhaps 200-300 hours ago, but only a one-time failure to light. (I don't keep track of hours really, and the last time I checked I think it had just passed 1000 (last year). We don't use it much, perhaps 2 movies a week on average, no TV. BTW on that one failure, it started right up after a reattempt and didn't give me any more trouble, until several months later (ie last night).

Anyway- from what I read here, this seems to indicate the death rattle of the bulb? I don't mind buying a new bulb (duh) but I wouldn't want to buy one and then find out that wasn't the problem after all. What kind of checking/troubleshooting can I do?

I agree the pic is great, but really I don't have much to compare it against. I can't stand going to stores and comparing. Only one friend of mine has a pj setup and it's my previous InFocus that he took off my hands!

I contemplated a new, 1080 pj, and I may still go that way but I'd want to exhaust my possibilities first (without spending a lot of money of course). Hope someone can chime in with some pointers.
post #637 of 659 Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 View Post
Well after nearly four years, my Sammy gave me real trouble last night. Turned on, bulb ran for maybe 30 seconds, then no more light. Repeated this about 4 times and gave up.

Something similar had happened last year, perhaps 200-300 hours ago, but only a one-time failure to light. (I don't keep track of hours really, and the last time I checked I think it had just passed 1000 (last year). We don't use it much, perhaps 2 movies a week on average, no TV. BTW on that one failure, it started right up after a reattempt and didn't give me any more trouble, until several months later (ie last night).

Anyway- from what I read here, this seems to indicate the death rattle of the bulb? I don't mind buying a new bulb (duh) but I wouldn't want to buy one and then find out that wasn't the problem after all. What kind of checking/troubleshooting can I do?

I agree the pic is great, but really I don't have much to compare it against. I can't stand going to stores and comparing. Only one friend of mine has a pj setup and it's my previous InFocus that he took off my hands!

I contemplated a new, 1080 pj, and I may still go that way but I'd want to exhaust my possibilities first (without spending a lot of money of course). Hope someone can chime in with some pointers.
I believe your bulb is done. My first one only lasted 1300 hours. You can find a new bulb for around $150 on samsungparts.com. I would recommend buying a new bulb. I'm on my second one and have another one in the closet. I'm around 1300 more hours on my 2nd bulb and just waiting for the day when it will turn off own it's own.

I also would stick with this projector instead of buying a new 1080p entry level one. That's my opinion from comparing it to the Epson 8350.
post #638 of 659 Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

I believe your bulb is done. My first one only lasted 1300 hours. You can find a new bulb for around $150 on samsungparts.com. I would recommend buying a new bulb. I'm on my second one and have another one in the closet. I'm around 1300 more hours on my 2nd bulb and just waiting for the day when it will turn off own it's own.

I also would stick with this projector instead of buying a new 1080p entry level one. That's my opinion from comparing it to the Epson 8350.

Thanks. I did open it up and do some of the re-seating etc that some talked about in the other thread. Same results, bulb is on for some 30 seconds, then off.

Is this more or less a sure thing (the symptom and the cause, I mean)? I would hate to spring even $150 and find out it's something else. Reason I say that is, if the bulb were done, then how come it lights to begin with?
post #639 of 659 Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

I have had this occur when my bulb was dead. It went turn on for a few seconds and then shut off. I'm 90% sure it is the bulb but maybe others can chime in.

I was reminded of an issue that I have with mine. I have it ceiling mounted which hangs upside down. I have to wedge something in the lens barrel to prop up the lens assembly like 1/4 an inch. Otherwise, it will never focus. I've messed with the lens shift which works but it seems somethings not right. It seems it's not an issue when it is right side up.

How is everyone mounting theirs?
post #640 of 659 Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Mine is hanging upside down on the ceiling and I've never had a focus issue. Although I do have to occasionally move the lens shift up a bit as it seems to slowly drop on its own. I too have had the famed but feared bulb issue. My first one only lasted 500 hours. But the second one has 700 on it and is going strong. I had the same symptoms. It just kept shutting off. Not sure if it's a bulb issue or a heat issue. I'm a shadow detail nut! I have not seen a a low priced 1080p that matches our beloved Samsung. I will settle for a little higher black level if I can see whats in the shadows.
post #641 of 659 Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Guys I need help. The bulb came in today, BUT!!

It is way too large for the original housing and the little 'frame' that the original bulb seats into. If I were to ballpark guess I'd say the surface area of the glass is about 2x that of the original one. It's not just a small difference, you can tell they are different sizes from 10 feet away.

The partnum was as specified on samsungparts.com. I even called before ordering and verified.

The new bulb has printed on the glass: 102616949
Original bulb: 101859717

Of course I'll be calling them but it will be Monday.

If this is indeed the correct bulb and there's a trick to mounting it in the original housing please share. There were no instructions included in the package, but if they were the same size it's not hard at all. The box wasn't even sealed btw, although the bulb and wires do look new. The kicker is they charge about $15 for S&H, and there is a 15% restock fee, and then shipping back, so if they give me a hard time I'm about $45 out of pocket on this.
post #642 of 659 Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sorry to hear this. I checked for myself samsungparts and partstore.com and they don't have the bulb BP96-01551A any longer. This is the one that I have bought twice which fits perfectly. Let us know what you find out. Is this the lamp part number you bought? BP47-00010A
post #643 of 659 Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 AM

Thanks Bachelor... BP47-00010A is what's the label on the box says. However, as the box was not sealed, there is no sure way to tell that is what it contains. That number, as you probably know, is not on the bulb itself.
Also, the label has been glued over another, original label which, best I can tell, is not for that part.

Hopefully they own up to a mistake and make me whole by exchanging this at no cost and all I'm out is a few days.
post #644 of 659 Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 AM

KCK7,

If they don't have that bulb in stock you can try encompassparts.com. I bought a bulb from them in December. It took about three weeks to get it. But, it was the correct bulb and the price was comparible to the samsungparts site.
post #645 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

I'm using an Eye One Display meter. It measures light. You can read more about it in the calibration section. What screen are you using?

I am using a diy screen painted NG8.0 (neutral grey) mixed with polycrylic in a 3:1 ratio.

Our house is under contract and the buyer is requesting to leave the projector so I guess I won't have to worry about it anymore.

I'll check out the eye one for my next setup. It looks pretty cool. Thanks for the tip.
post #646 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well, mine has been running happily for three and a half years now.

However if bulbs are becoming scarce I think I may have to order one or two just to keep them around for "insurance".
post #647 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blplce View Post

KCK7,

If they don't have that bulb in stock you can try encompassparts.com. I bought a bulb from them in December. It took about three weeks to get it. But, it was the correct bulb and the price was comparible to the samsungparts site.

Thanks blplce. A bit pricier than from samsungparts. I called ssp today and got the worst runaround. Still waiting for a call back after spending time out of my workday to send them multiple pictures because they won't believe me when I tell them the bulb is too large.

blpce and bachelor: do you recall that your replacement bulb was an exact, drop-in replacement? Did you use your old housing and rewire it in? If I were to try to use the old housing (the new bulb came bare and with two wires) there is no way it would fit, but am wondering if it goes in without a housing? However, I don't see how that can be made to happen.

Attached is a pic of the two bulbs, old one on left.
LL
post #648 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

blpce and bachelor: do you recall that your replacement bulb was an exact, drop-in replacement? Did you use your old housing and rewire it in? If I were to try to use the old housing (the new bulb came bare and with two wires) there is no way it would fit, but am wondering if it goes in without a housing? However, I don't see how that can be made to happen.

Attached is a pic of the two bulbs, old one on left.

My replacement bulb came with housing. I can take a picture of it if you like. It is the discontinued part BP96-01551A. I still have one new in the box. (Insurance)
post #649 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Argh. (thanks Bachelor. No I don't need a pic, as the partnum alone tells me the story).

I just got off the phone with a Samsungparts supervisor. She was helpful but, owing to the circumstances, ultimately not helpful. The bottom line is this: the one I bought is what Samsung told them to sell as a replacement for our 710, and as reported a few times in this thread. However, I am the second customer to complain that it does not fit, and at this point they are going to (a) issue a full refund to me and a shipping label, and (b) check with Samsung on what might replace this bulb - they took down my unit's model and serial number.

So this begs the question of, if the 'new' one BP47-00010A is NOT the right bulb as stated by Samsung, then what is? (Note it is just a bulb, NO housing). And, has anyone bought that exact model and was able to get it to fit? (physically impossible IMO but I am considering the (far out) possibility that they gave a new bulb the model number of something else).

This is really screwed up. Add to that the fact that Woot has the Optoma HD20/HD180 on a refurb deal today only, and I don't know if I will have ANY chance of getting a new bulb for my Sammy, in which case I should buy a new PJ, and this Optoma is a very good deal so should I go with it????

I know only I can definitively answer some of these questions, but am still putting it out there for you guys to opine to. The Optoma gets great reviews but there are those who have complained about way premature bulb demise, with replacements costing $250. With a 30-day bulb warranty, this isn't too comforting.
post #650 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Well, thanks for confirming to us owners not to order part BP47-00010A as a replacement bulb!

I'm surprised the bulb BP96-01551A has doubled in price. If you could get 3000 hours on a bulb, I would suggest replacing it and not getting the newer projector.

I'm on my second one with about 1300 hours and still good. My first one only lasted 1300 and had the dead bulb symptom of turning off after a few minutes of powering on. If I knew the "real" number of hours I could expect it would be an easier decision, but paying $240ish for a bulb which may not last the full 3000 hours maybe better used to go towards a newer projector. I've never seen the Optoma so I can't offer any real comparisons.

I did a google shopping search with BP96-01551A and found a few places but all around $240. Let us know what you end up doing.

http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?BP96-01551A has it for $160. Scratch that! looks like it uses BP47-00010A as a replacement part!
post #651 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM

I believe encompassparts buys their stuff from samsungparts.com. I called them earlier today and they did say I could order it and come in to compare, and could reject it if not the same (one of their locations is about 25 miles away, but I'd have to take off from work to go there).

I think it's the same bloody lamp! But I will call tomorrow and find out.
post #652 of 659 Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM

KCK7,

The lamp I bought from Encompassparts.com 4 months ago was the correct bulb. It is the bare bulb and new wire set only and it did fit in the old housing perfectly. I hope they have one for you. I have asked a few videophiles that have had experience with the new low cost 1080p projectors and I have personally viewed the HD20. While the HD20 is slightly sharper and brighter than the sp-h710ae, it lacks the depth and film like picture of the Sammy. If you watch a lot of HD television the Optoma may be for you. Personally I prefer HDTV on my plasma and movies on the Sammy. Good Luck in your search.
post #653 of 659 Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Well I have been on countless phone calls with samsungparts, Samsung, and encompass. I am getting nowhere fast and it looks like at this time I am SOL and will either need to sell this to someone who needs a pj w/o lamp (for parts or whatever) or buy the correct lamp from some kind soul who has a spare.

Even encompass now has the larger lamp. samsungparts won't return my calls or emails, figuring they've done their part (I am still awaiting my refund though). Samsung people keep pushing me off to some other department and I am stuck in a loop with them. They basically seem to be staffed by uneducated, unmotivated individuals who are trained to say 'No' to the paying customer and not much more. I even spoke to a 'supervisor' who was only marginally more helpful but still wanted me to call someone else.

So atm I have a dead PJ unless someone can come up with a great idea. And be warned: DO NOT buy this partnum (BP47-00010A) as a replacement lamp for your 710, from either samsungparts or encompass.
post #654 of 659 Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have seen some sites that list BP90-00213A as a replacement for the 710ae as well although I have no idea just how accurate those claims me be.

Edit: It looks like some people here have actually used this bulb successfully as a replacement.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11404726

Post 574
post #655 of 659 Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Well based upon the reports that bulbs are getting scarce I decided to see about ordering one myself.

I ordered a replacement from http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/ and it showed up today (8 days after being ordered).

The bad news is that rather than an original BP90-00213A, the bulb that they sent me is an aftermarket bulb from APO International that was shipped out of Hong Kong.

The good news is that the bulb -is- the correct size/wattage and after taking about 10 minutes to swap it out the new bulb is running in my SP-H710AE perfectly.

I'll be running this new bulb over the next 90 days (the warranty period on the bulb) to see if it holds up, but so far so good.
post #656 of 659 Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM

thanks luclin99.

On that site the nearest pj model is the SP-H701AE. That is, 01 rather than 10. Is this just a typo, or was there really such a model? Was yours just a bulb or housing included?

I see that a company called Electrified is also selling what they claim is the original bulb (BP96 etc), WITH housing (I know the housing is no big deal as we can reuse the old one but it may mean the bulb is actually the correct one.

Still confused about what to do. At about 150 from samsungparts, it was ok. Now climbing into the mid $200 range and one still gets an iffy replacement, a new 1080p a la the Epson 8350 for around $1100 starts to look interesting.
post #657 of 659 Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks luclin99.

On that site the nearest pj model is the SP-H701AE. That is, 01 rather than 10. Is this just a typo, or was there really such a model? Was yours just a bulb or housing included?

It is a typo. I just ordered it by the part # which also references the SP-H700AE on their site and it also uses the same bulb as the 710AE.

All you get is the bulb. No housing.

Quote:

I see that a company called Electrified is also selling what they claim is the original bulb (BP96 etc), WITH housing (I know the housing is no big deal as we can reuse the old one but it may mean the bulb is actually the correct one.

Still confused about what to do. At about 150 from samsungparts, it was ok. Now climbing into the mid $200 range and one still gets an iffy replacement, a new 1080p a la the Epson 8350 for around $1100 starts to look interesting.

I love my Samsung for it's near reference quality image and plan to keep using it for years to come. However, I do understand that different people have differing things that they may want from a projector.

I am also currently shopping for a new projector for my great room, and as that room is not anywhere near as light controlled as my theater I am considering the 8350 for it's higher light output and placement flexibility.
post #658 of 659 Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to make an update on the OEM bulb.

It's been running in my projector for 20 months now, has 750 hours on it and still looks good.
post #659 of 659 Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update. I continue to use my projector and have about 1K hours on the 2nd buld. I have a spare still in it's box that included the housing. It's nice to know there is something out there that works.

I've compared this projector to the Epson 8350 and prefer the Samsung. Better shadow detail and sharper!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page