Samsung SP-H710AE Great Deal! - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 673 Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow, I ran into this thread once again after my lamp went out again. Bought this projector for 2800 bucks in June of 2006 with a DaLite High Power screen and have been using it for more than 9 years now. I have really enjoyed it, (great colors, decent picture) but one major problem has been lamp life. From the very beginning of ownership I have had to replace lamps every 700-900 hours of use. I just bought my last lamp and when it goes out this PJ will be donated to charity for a small tax write-off.

I have been looking for a replacement and people have been steering me to the SONY VPL-HW40ES which can be had just under the 2K mark but I would like to hold on a little longer as I just got the new lamp for my old Samsung. I will probably become a serious buyer in December/January. I would be looking at the 3000 dollar price point and would like to keep the next projector at least 6-8 years.

I know this thread is pretty dead right now but if you find yourself back here again what was the new unit you went to after the Samsung?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 673 Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
Wow, I ran into this thread once again after my lamp went out again. Bought this projector for 2800 bucks in June of 2006 with a DaLite High Power screen and have been using it for more than 9 years now. I have really enjoyed it, (great colors, decent picture) but one major problem has been lamp life. From the very beginning of ownership I have had to replace lamps every 700-900 hours of use. I just bought my last lamp and when it goes out this PJ will be donated to charity for a small tax write-off.

I have been looking for a replacement and people have been steering me to the SONY VPL-HW40ES which can be had just under the 2K mark but I would like to hold on a little longer as I just got the new lamp for my old Samsung. I will probably become a serious buyer in December/January. I would be looking at the 3000 dollar price point and would like to keep the next projector at least 6-8 years.

I know this thread is pretty dead right now but if you find yourself back here again what was the new unit you went to after the Samsung?
Know what you mean, lamp life is not this projector’s strong suit. I purchased my Joe Kane enhanced H-710 in July 06 as well. (I did get to meet Joe at one of the CES’s held in Atlanta. He is a true enthusiast.)

If you recall, early versions of the Samsung 710 had serious reliability issues, to the point where people stayed away in droves.

I was able to purchase my 710 new from Tiger Direct for $899. I just couldn’t pass up a $10,000 projector for about 1/10th the price.

The reviews were so good, I figured I would be able to enjoy a state of the art (Joe Kane designed) DLP even if only for a brief time.

That was nearly 10 years ago; several lifetimes in consumer electronics.

We’re not home just now so I can’t check to see exactly how many hours are on my 710 but I’m pretty its more than 7000, thus quite a few lamps.

I was always on the look-out for deals on replacement lamps and when I saw a bargain I bought it.
Some bulbs lasted much longer than others. I still have two replacement lamps in the wings.

Quite frankly I’m ready for an upgrade, but with the decade old 710 still working like the day it was new, it’s difficult to justify shelling out 4 or 5 grand for a new PJ. (It wouldn’t be right to lie to your wife and tell her your all out of lamps would it?)

I do have my eye on a JVC RS-57U however.
post #663 of 673 Old 08-19-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I also purchased mine from Tiger Direct for around $899. It was a steal for the price. I sold it to my brother and he is on his second bulb which only is getting about 1000 hours per bulb. It's nice to see other users are experiencing the same. I had the same bulb life when I had it. Since I am on a lower budget, I replaced it with a BenQ W1070 and couldn't be happier. brighter and smaller footprint, and not to mention adding 3d capability is awesome at 110".
post #664 of 673 Old 08-22-2015, 10:23 PM

Smile

I can't believe that both of you paid 900 for the same projector I shelled out 2800 for. I need to consult you guys next time I buy a new PJ. (Clearly Tiger Direct is no longer competitive in the PJ business.)

Last edited by Upgrader; 08-22-2015 at 10:28 PM.
post #665 of 673 Old 11-14-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well after about eight years of solid use, three bulbs and over 4200 hours watched on it my H710 appears to be finally going out.

Started to have an issue where after being on for 20-30 minutes it will go black and if you re-seat the HDMI/DVI cable you get a flickering, inverted green screen.

May be an issue with overheating so I will probably go ahead and open it up, clean it out and re-seat the cables but if that fails then it will be the end for this projector.

post #666 of 673 Old 11-14-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
Well after about eight years of solid use, three bulbs and over 4200 hours watched on it my H710 appears to be finally going out.

Started to have an issue where after being on for 20-30 minutes it will go black and if you re-seat the HDMI/DVI cable you get a flickering, inverted green screen.

May be an issue with overheating so I will probably go ahead and open it up, clean it out and re-seat the cables but if that fails then it will be the end for this projector.

That's a very nice room you have.
post #667 of 673 Old 11-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I just looked at you theater. (very nice) It would appear we have had the same projector and the same Coaster brown recliners for quite a few years now...

My old 710 is approaching 7000 hours, still works fine, and continues to cast a very nice picture.

I have one new spare lamp left, but the PJ has begun to make a buzzing sound shortly after start up. The buzz lasts for a minute or so and then goes away.

Can’t help but think the buzz may be a death rattle.

At any rate I just pulled the trigger on a used JVC DLA-RS6710U (200 hour with new spare lamp, 3D emitter and 2 pair of 3D glasses.) UPS tracking says it will be here Monday. Wish me luck…

The Samsung doesn’t owe me a thing. We had some friends and their 3 year old little girl over the other night to watch the new Cinderella on Blu-ray (It’s really kind of a fun movie)

I remember thinking to myself I can’t imagine any projector, 1080P or 4K that can look much better than this.

Last edited by JDEATON; 11-14-2015 at 12:29 PM.
post #668 of 673 Old 11-14-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
That's a very nice room you have.
Thank you. Still loving it after all these years.
post #669 of 673 Old 11-14-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
I just looked at you theater. (very nice) It would appear we have had the same projector and the same Coaster brown recliners for quite a few years now...

My old 710 is approaching 7000 hours, still works fine, and continues to cast a very nice picture.

I have one new spare lamp left, but the PJ has begun to make a buzzing sound shortly after start up. The buzz lasts for a minute or so and then goes away.

Can’t help but think the buzz may be a death rattle.
The buzz is probably the bearings in the color wheel starting to age. We had a similar sound develop in our Samsung rear projection DLP set years ago and that was the issue.

Quote:
At any rate I just pulled the trigger on a used JVC DLA-RS6710U (200 hour with new spare lamp, 3D emitter and 2 pair of 3D glasses.) UPS tracking says it will be here Monday. Wish me luck…

The Samsung doesn’t owe me a thing. We had some friends and their 3 year old little girl over the other night to watch the new Cinderella on Blu-ray (It’s really kind of a fun movie)

I remember thinking to myself I can’t imagine any projector, 1080P or 4K that can look much better than this.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Right now I have swapped out my H710 for my Epson Home Cinema 1080 that we have down in the living room and even after spending half an hour adjusting it for the room conditions there is a noticeable drop in image quality.

The 1080p resolution is nice but the LCD just can't match the contrast and "punch" of the H710 DLP.
post #670 of 673 Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The buzz is probably the bearings in the color wheel starting to age. We had a similar sound develop in our Samsung rear projection DLP set years ago and that was the issue.
That's what it is. I am getting the exact same sound from the color wheel bearings when its starting up. I also noticed that the life of the bulbs is getting shorter with time and the temperature right outside the front vents is getting higher as well.

I just changed my last bulb with a new one (which I had forgotten I had). I have been averaging 800 hours per lamp over the first 7 years but in the last 2 years the average has dropped significantly. The lamp I just replaced only lasted 380 hours! With that said I have enjoyed this PJ since 2006 and even though I overpaid for it back then I have not regretted owning it.

I've been looking at the Sony VPL HW40ES for a few months now as a worthy replacement to the Samsung and have been waiting for an attractive holiday sale to snag one and join you guys who have moved on already.
post #671 of 673 Old 11-21-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
That's what it is. I am getting the exact same sound from the color wheel bearings when its starting up. I also noticed that the life of the bulbs is getting shorter with time and the temperature right outside the front vents is getting higher as well.

I just changed my last bulb with a new one (which I had forgotten I had). I have been averaging 800 hours per lamp over the first 7 years but in the last 2 years the average has dropped significantly. The lamp I just replaced only lasted 380 hours! With that said I have enjoyed this PJ since 2006 and even though I overpaid for it back then I have not regretted owning it.

I've been looking at the Sony VPL HW40ES for a few months now as a worthy replacement to the Samsung and have been waiting for an attractive holiday sale to snag one and join you guys who have moved on already.
I hung my new (slightly used JVC RS6710) Monday afternoon.

I just checked my records and discovered my H710AE was shipped to me on 7/24/07; a little over 8 years ago, I sure don’t have any regrets.

The old Samsung was ceiling mounted, thus the exterior is like the day it was new. I haven’t noticed a drop in lamp life and surprisingly the last lamp lasted over 1000 hours. I replaced it because it was looking dim but it still worked.

If anyone who reads this thread would like a pristine SP-H710AE with its original box, manual, lens cover, remote, and one new spare lamp, it is for sale for $250.00 + shipping. I’ll throw in a Chief 710 RPA Mount Plate (Not the whole RPA Mount) and a DVI to HDMI adapter as well. (Just send me a PM)

BTW, replacement lamps appear to be still available at several internet sites including Amazon. Prices have become incredibly cheap, $41.25 here: http://www.pureglare.com/product/vie...FdgKgQodRa8AMw

It does sometimes make a buzzing sound for 30 seconds or so at start up (not every time), but the buzzing soon stops and does not return once the PJ is warmed up.

It still throws an awesome picture.
post #672 of 673 Old 11-22-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If anyone who reads this thread would like a pristine SP-H710AE with its original box, manual, lens cover, remote, and one new spare lamp, it is for sale for $250.00 + shipping.
I was wondering myself what to do with my own SP-H710AE after I buy my next PJ and I concluded that instead of trying to sell it for a couple hundred bucks I would deliver it to a charity while it still works in its original box for the tax deduction. I paid $2800 new in 2006 and I was going to claim a value of $500 in 2015.
post #673 of 673 Old 01-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I hung my new (slightly used JVC RS6710) Monday afternoon.

I just checked my records and discovered my H710AE was shipped to me on 7/24/07; a little over 8 years ago, I sure don’t have any regrets.

The old Samsung was ceiling mounted, thus the exterior is like the day it was new. I haven’t noticed a drop in lamp life and surprisingly the last lamp lasted over 1000 hours. I replaced it because it was looking dim but it still worked.

If anyone who reads this thread would like a pristine SP-H710AE with its original box, manual, lens cover, remote, and one new spare lamp, it is for sale for $250.00 + shipping. I’ll throw in a Chief 710 RPA Mount Plate (Not the whole RPA Mount) and a DVI to HDMI adapter as well. (Just send me a PM)

BTW, replacement lamps appear to be still available at several internet sites including Amazon. Prices have become incredibly cheap, $41.25 here: http://www.pureglare.com/product/vie...FdgKgQodRa8AMw

It does sometimes make a buzzing sound for 30 seconds or so at start up (not every time), but the buzzing soon stops and does not return once the PJ is warmed up.

It still throws an awesome picture.
My SP-H710AE is now officially dead. It's a sad day. A neighbor was going to buy it for $250.

Just to make sure it was still working after being stored for a couple months, I plugged it in, turned it on and... nothing. Just some strange never heard before noises.

Maybe it just didn't like being right side up after hanging upside down for 8 years.

We had nearly 7000 really good hours together. Oh well...

Glad id didn't sell it to someone who wasn't local.

Also glad I bought the JVC when I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page