Samsung SP-H710AE Great Deal! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Now, they say that you cannot return it to the place (t i g e r) whence you purchased it. It has to be returned to Samsung. I'll hook mine up ASAP. It gets here Monday.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustybanshee View Post

has anyone compare this projector to the Sharp 12kII?

I had the sharp before i got this samsung. More blacks in sharp. I would say picture detail and color is the same with both of them. Samsung picture has more noise in some dvds certainly sharp was not worth the 2.5 time more price in my opinion.
My build date is sept 20006 and has a R at the end of serial number. Used for about 2 hours and works fine so far.

shiv
Lexington, KY
post #183 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless1 View Post

Built like a tank other than the problems it had "to start with"????? Does this include the all those who got the late builds with probs, the reports through June of this year I posted earlier, or who got oh 400-500 good hours out of em only to see it croak ... and then had to deal with multiple returns to samsung and the worlds worst customer service?

Well, it is certainly a potential risk and hassle. I was not willing to take it since it seems the risk of a lemon is very high. Got another Marantz VP4001 for the in-laws instead even though they had to pay about 50% more. Totally worth it in all respects.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #184 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Now, they say that you cannot return it to the place (t i g e r) whence you purchased it. It has to be returned to Samsung. I'll hook mine up ASAP. It gets here Monday.

Where is this info? Still looks like TD will accept defective RAs up to 30 days...

Also for those interested, there is a video on the product page. In it, the guy says that it comes with a 3-year warranty! Also, I'm sure it's an optical illusion, but the PJ looks bigger than the guy himself.
post #185 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 AM

'R' is the last character in the serial number for me.

-BisP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post

Does anyone have the answer to the 'B' or 'R' in the serial number (my 'B' is the last char in the serial, don't know if BisP has the 'R' at the end or middle.

The last character in my serial number is "W". Sept 06 build with 31 hours so far.
I love the picture, sure hope it lasts.

post #186 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what my order page says:

"IMPORTANT:This item is exclusively supported by the manufacturer and cannot be returned due to manufacturer restrictions. Please contact Samsung at 1-800-726-7864"

Bob
post #187 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Got mine today. Watching it right now on HTPC with 1.5 - 2 hours on the bulb. No issues yet. It paints a very bright image on my high power 92" screen in theater mode.

Sept 06 build, and "R" is the last character of the S/N.

Apply directly to the forehead!
post #188 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 PM

14 hours and going strong here. I opted for the extra 2 years warranty (a VERY reasonable $50).....just in case.

I had decent luck with TD. A refurb DVD recorder was returned because it did NOT have HDMI, even though the specs listed it as such. They were prompt and hassle free there. I've had a Samsung rear projection TV in the living room for ~ one year and it has been flawless.

At the risk taking some heat....I think it would be MORE helpful to all if we only passed on specific incidents that each of us had.....rather than general "company XYZ's customer service sucks!" If you've had a bad incident, by all means, report it here and tell us all what happened. But I think "impressions" or "reps" gleaned from reading posts need to be taken with a large grain of salt. Obviously, there have been issues with this particular unit. But I think if you read this thread or THIS one , you'd have the inpression that every other unit will be defective. I don't think that this is the case. I don't believe that ANY large company would continue to produce nor would a seller like TD sell a product they were going to incur so many returns on. Of course getting a $4000 pj for less than a $1000 tells us all that there is a reason it HAD to be reduced so drastically to sell.......and obviously that reason was less than stellar reliability. I just don't think it's as bad a you'd be led to believe after reading this thread.

So.....bottom line..........I'm glad I was informed of the issue by reading here, it prompted me to buy an extended warranty that I normally avoid. But I do believe buying this pj is a risk worth taking because, even if you are unlucky enough to receive a bad unit, you will eventually get one that is worth WAAAAAY more than what you'll spend on it.

my 2 cents.........

Larry
post #189 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Brown View Post

But I think if you read this thread or THIS one , you'd have the inpression that every other unit will be defective. I don't think that this is the case. I don't believe that ANY large company would continue to produce nor would a seller like TD sell a product they were going to incur so many returns on.

um, ok. By definition it would seem no matter what is written you have made up your mind a priori....

And the change in the rather unique new TD policy? I must say, I wonder what inspired that.

I think we do agree everyone thinking of buying this PJ should read the thread you (and I earlier) posted. And should realize getting a PJ that works out of the box (even if for months) does not mean they have avoided the problems mentioned.
post #190 of 659 Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

if only this was a simple fix as the Bravo D1 DVD player.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #191 of 659 Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_Brown View Post

14 hours and going strong here. I opted for the extra 2 years warranty (a VERY reasonable $50).....just in case.

I had decent luck with TD. A refurb DVD recorder was returned because it did NOT have HDMI, even though the specs listed it as such. They were prompt and hassle free there. I've had a Samsung rear projection TV in the living room for ~ one year and it has been flawless.

At the risk taking some heat....I think it would be MORE helpful to all if we only passed on specific incidents that each of us had.....rather than general "company XYZ's customer service sucks!" If you've had a bad incident, by all means, report it here and tell us all what happened. But I think "impressions" or "reps" gleaned from reading posts need to be taken with a large grain of salt. Obviously, there have been issues with this particular unit. But I think if you read this thread or THIS one , you'd have the inpression that every other unit will be defective. I don't think that this is the case. I don't believe that ANY large company would continue to produce nor would a seller like TD sell a product they were going to incur so many returns on. Of course getting a $4000 pj for less than a $1000 tells us all that there is a reason it HAD to be reduced so drastically to sell.......and obviously that reason was less than stellar reliability. I just don't think it's as bad a you'd be led to believe after reading this thread.

So.....bottom line..........I'm glad I was informed of the issue by reading here, it prompted me to buy an extended warranty that I normally avoid. But I do believe buying this pj is a risk worth taking because, even if you are unlucky enough to receive a bad unit, you will eventually get one that is worth WAAAAAY more than what you'll spend on it.

my 2 cents.........

Larry

larry can you plase tell us where you got the extended warranty from. $50 is very cheap for an extended warranty.

shiv
Lexington, KY
post #192 of 659 Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:

This is what my order page says:

"IMPORTANT:This item is exclusively supported by the manufacturer and cannot be returned due to manufacturer restrictions. Please contact Samsung at 1-800-726-7864"

This may be different wording but in effect, is no deviation from the policy on the product page. What I read here is that you cannot RETURN this item (such as you changed your mind, or even if defective, you want your money back).

So... you cannot RETURN but you CAN recourse to TD during the first 30 days for an exchange, as at least a couple of us (self included) have done already. Again IMO of course. If anyone has a different experience that would be worth noting.
post #193 of 659 Old 08-04-2007, 05:41 AM

Just got my projector today. Build Date 9/06.
The thing is a beast. Makes my 4805 look like a toy. The lens is about twice as big.

Which ceiling mount are you guys using? Unfortunately my ceiling is vaulted at 45 degrees so it restricts my choices.
post #194 of 659 Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCK7 View Post

This may be different wording but in effect, is no deviation from the policy on the product page. What I read here is that you cannot RETURN this item (such as you changed your mind, or even if defective, you want your money back).

So... you cannot RETURN but you CAN recourse to TD during the first 30 days for an exchange, as at least a couple of us (self included) have done already. Again IMO of course. If anyone has a different experience that would be worth noting.

Your reading of this could be correct.

I'm still trying to decide on a screen and a mount. I'm comparing Elite Cinetension 2 (electric, tab tensioned) v. Dalite High Power Manual. It's an extra 300-350 for the Elite, but this is a tensioned screen, and I'll be ceiling mounting the projector, which supposedly limits the effectiveness of the high power. I'm worried about seeing waves in the manual screen.

Bob
post #195 of 659 Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Got mine yesterday and I don't regret it so far. It looks great on my High Power screen and I didn't have any problems out of the box. I don't have great light control, but I wasn't going to wait until it was dark to crack it open. It isn't all that great with low ambient light, but once it finally got dark I could see the big improvement over my Infocus SP5000 that it's replacing.

Now I gotta figure out where I'm going to put it since it doesn't fit on my tall skinny shelf I've been using for four years. I think I'll be keeping my SP5000 as a spare in case problems crop up. Amazing that I got these two projectors for the exact same price I paid for the Infocus X1 4 and a half years ago.

-Rob
post #196 of 659 Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your reading of this could be correct.

I'm still trying to decide on a screen and a mount. I'm comparing Elite Cinetension 2 (electric, tab tensioned) v. Dalite High Power Manual. It's an extra 300-350 for the Elite, but this is a tensioned screen, and I'll be ceiling mounting the projector, which supposedly limits the effectiveness of the high power. I'm worried about seeing waves in the manual screen.

You won't see waves in the high power, but you won't get much gain if you ceiling mount it. The picture still looks good, but not as bright. I plan on finding a new shelf that's about the height of the center of my screen to put at the back of the room. The lens shift lets you put it at just about any height without even having to flip it over.

My temporary setup for now has it right next to me and I can barely hear it in the low lamp mode, which is plenty bright on my 119" high power.

-Rob
post #197 of 659 Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

My room is a very odd room. For instance, there's a beam that splits the room and enters about 14 inches from the celing into the room. I'm going to have to mount the projector to shoot under this beam. Based on my calculations, I'll have to use a 92 inch screen and mount the projector right next to the beam. After determining the increased cost of buying a screen, the proper cables, an HDMI switcher, etc., I'm thinking that this could easily cost another 1,500. I was trying to get to a cheap system; I don't think I've succeeded.

Bob
post #198 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Semptember 2006 build.
Got mine up and running, saw Bonds hit 755 on ESPNHD last night....man it's the most beautfiul TV image I've ever seen, becasue it's so big and so clear--settings
Brigthness + 55
Sharpness + 50 (default was 0)
Color - 40 (CBS gold greens were too green, almost fake)
Contrast +- (depends on what I'm watching)
I'm always tinkereing with the settings (even at guests houses) especially on HD when you know what the lifelike images of baseball, grass, flesh tones actuall look like.
It's funny how people are so used to the fake images of Television....when you bring the image inline to real life, they don't like it...they want the greeny greens, fuzzy reds, etc. I'm running on a DW Laminate and it's nice a bright with high hats only on in the seating area.
INSTALL PROBLEM...
The menu give you some options for where you have it positioned (shelf, theater, etc)...I have a soffit mount...so I'm higher than the screen but NOT inverted....so I'm at the limit of the offset, and can't get it 100% on the screen.
Is there a setting to use here for this ?

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #199 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 AM

post #200 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 AM

My replacement got here Friday. My dtr's birthday party was set to start at 5 pm, and UPS rarely gets to my house before 4. Leaving less than 1 hour to unpack it, set up the mount, adjust pic, etc. Panic was setting in. Yes, the b'day party was no big deal you might say, but this is not a five-year old... she is 17, and had spent all week helping me get the room ready. This included framing in a doorway, installing in-ceiling speakers and wiring them, and running cable for all the items in the room. I wanted her to reap the reward for her work.

Well, for the first time ever in over 6 years of buying many items and in-shipping them by UPS, they showed up at 10:30 am! We got to work and the room was ready by 5:30 pm, due to some unexpected snags.

They watched Hot Fuzz. I only peeked in for a couple of minutes and the pic looked very good with original OOB settings.

We watched Zodiac last night. It has been a while since I watched any tv really, let alone a PJ since moving to the new house. So I don't feel like I am in the game enough to comment on PQ specifics, but in general looked very good. I got the impression that the pic overall might be a little dark, like the brightness was too low (B & C are still at 50, OOB settings).

Another questionable item is jaggy lines on straight-line images. Don't know if there is a technical term for this, but I hope you know what I mean. Is this fairly common and to be expected for a PJ? I remember reading the BenQ W500's PR and they mention being successful at removing or ameliorating this.

Overall, an excellent experience. The room is still painted in light colors, white ceiling, etc, so there were some reflections. Maybe that contributed to the dark-ish look, but it may be the movie itself.

7 hours on bulb now, no glitches, Sept 06 build, serial ends in 'A'. I think from reading of the variety of alphabets used this has no meaning re new or not.

So far TD's service has been EXEMPLARY. Well, they didn't send me an email re shipping the replacement and I had to call, but that may be because it was done over the phone. Apart from that they have been fantastic. I live in GA (they are in IL) and the replacement got here in less than 48 hours (!) after completing the phone call with them.
post #201 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:

My replacement got here Friday. My dtr's birthday party was set to start at 5 pm, and UPS rarely gets to my house before 4. Leaving less than 1 hour to unpack it, set up the mount, adjust pic, etc. Panic was setting in. Yes, the b'day party was no big deal you might say, but this is not a five-year old... she is 17, and had spent all week helping me get the room ready. This included framing in a doorway, installing in-ceiling speakers and wiring them, and running cable for all the items in the room. I wanted her to reap the reward for her work.

Well, for the first time ever in over 6 years of buying many items and in-shipping them by UPS, they showed up at 10:30 am! We got to work and the room was ready by 5:30 pm, due to some unexpected snags.

They watched Hot Fuzz. I only peeked in for a couple of minutes and the pic looked very good with original OOB settings.

We watched Zodiac last night. It has been a while since I watched any tv really, let alone a PJ since moving to the new house. So I don't feel like I am in the game enough to comment on PQ specifics, but in general looked very good. I got the impression that the pic overall might be a little dark, like the brightness was too low (B & C are still at 50, OOB settings).

Another questionable item is jaggy lines on straight-line images. Don't know if there is a technical term for this, but I hope you know what I mean. Is this fairly common and to be expected for a PJ? I remember reading the BenQ W500's PR and they mention being successful at removing or ameliorating this.

Overall, an excellent experience. The room is still painted in light colors, white ceiling, etc, so there were some reflections. Maybe that contributed to the dark-ish look, but it may be the movie itself.

7 hours on bulb now, no glitches, Sept 06 build, serial ends in 'A'. I think from reading of the variety of alphabets used this has no meaning re new or not.

So far TD's service has been EXEMPLARY. Well, they didn't send me an email re shipping the replacement and I had to call, but that may be because it was done over the phone. Apart from that they have been fantastic. I live in GA (they are in IL) and the replacement got here in less than 48 hours (!) after completing the phone call with them.

Glad you got the replacement on time and the party went on fine. I bet you daugthers friends were mighty impressed. Good to know that TD was upto the ball hopefully they will be to others who may have problems. Mine is sept 2006 12 hours so far no problems. We all may have hit a jackpot with this PJ.

shiv
Lexington, KY
post #202 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv View Post

larry can you plase tell us where you got the extended warranty from. $50 is very cheap for an extended warranty.

Yes....I thought it was VERY reasonable. It was directly through TD. Usually they are such a high percentage of the original cost that I avoid them and roll the dice. In fact, I only inquired about it AFTER reading this and a similar thread than nearly scared me off completely.

Bottom line FOR ME was that even if I got a lemon and had to jump through a hoop or two, I will eventually end up with a working pj...........and a very fine one for less than a grand.

My fingers, elbows, knees and toes are still crossed........

LB

BTW.....18hrs and all's well. We've watched a few movies and music DVD's. We have been thoroughly impressed with the picture quality.

BTW2 Music DVD's are such BAAAAD video source material......if anyone knows of any that were recorded in HD, please tell me.......uhg, such a shame! I just bought the Pink Floyd double DVD Pulse hoping that as a newer release it would be better.........NOT! The 4:3 aspect ratio should have clued me, but they have always been about visuals in concert, I hoped that the video would have been remastered to at least DVD quality. I know, I know......READ the LABEL!
post #203 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

INSTALL PROBLEM...
The menu give you some options for where you have it positioned (shelf, theater, etc)...I have a soffit mount...so I'm higher than the screen but NOT inverted....so I'm at the limit of the offset, and can't get it 100% on the screen.
Is there a setting to use here for this ?

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #204 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:

um, ok. By definition it would seem no matter what is written you have made up your mind a priori....

Ummmmmm.......yes. We read.........we consider............we make our choices. Do I NOT have the right to my own choice?????

Quote:

And the change in the rather unique new TD policy? I must say, I wonder what inspired that.

Not sure WHAT you are getting at here....sorry.

Quote:

I think we do agree everyone thinking of buying this PJ should read the thread you (and I earlier) posted. And should realize getting a PJ that works out of the box (even if for months) does not mean they have avoided the problems mentioned.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with you here. Information is a good thing. And I went into this purchase with the full understanding I was gambling on an incredible price on a very well reviewed pj ...........with the risk of running afoul of some troubling quality control issues. FOR ME, it was a worthwhile trade off. I'm not trying to sway anyone else to do the same.

However, having been helped MANY TIMES through forums such as this one........I would like to impress upon the uninitiated...........at times, it is somewhat like hanging around the complaint dept window. Yes, you can certainly glean information about products that have had trouble. But you do not know the percentage of those sold that have issues. If the two people ahead of me are there VOCALLY returning XYZ's DVD player......and I've got one in my hands......I'm certainly going to have second thoughts. But if I knew that they sold a 1000 last month and that was the only 2 returns......I wouldn't be OVERLY concerned. What I can guarantee I'm not going to see if I stand there all day long is ANY of the other 998 dropping by to say "Hey, just wanted to stop by and say that we're really enjoying that DVD player!"

Of course, that is were the analogy breaks down a bit, because in forums, people return at times regardless (to share experiences....to help others try to fix a problem, etc). However, we are more active when our equipment is new so that we can share our experience..........or IF we are having a problem ourselves. When it's working fine..........most people are enjoying their equipment or doing other things. I've seen threads of a similar nature about nearly every piece of equipment I've ever researched - whether it was a video card that worked flawlessly for me.....or a motherboard that was the worst piece of crap I ever bought.

So, Looooong story not so short .......yes, Clueless1, I can read about a piece of equipment that 'seems' to be the doomsday machine and STILL decide to buy one. If I'm wrong it won't be the first or last time.* I'll allow you your "I told you so's" then.

*In my own defense, I do have a very respectable batting average.
post #205 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Given the very nature and partial reasons for forums such as these, I have to agree with what was said above.

I would take negative comments on products and services with a grain of salt, especially if there is not a substantial number of them. Even then, depending on the number of customers, it may be poor representation.

I would lend far greater creedance to accolades and praise. People are very quick to judge, critique and complain. On the other hand, the number of happy customers who give equal praise I am guessing to be in a much smaller ratio.

I am not saying to ignore others' negative experiences. But they must be taken in context, and most of us don't have that context.
post #206 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post

Given the very nature and partial reasons for forums such as these, I have to agree with what was said above.

I would take negative comments on products and services with a grain of salt, especially if there is not a substantial number of them. Even then, depending on the number of customers, it may be poor representation.

I would lend far greater creedance to accolades and praise. People are very quick to judge, critique and complain. On the other hand, the number of happy customers who give equal praise I am guessing to be in a much smaller ratio.

I am not saying to ignore others' negative experiences. But they must be taken in context, and most of us don't have that context.

You do realize that even AVS quit carrying them because of all the problems? That's not exactly a few disgruntled owners.
post #207 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Guynn View Post

You do realize that even AVS quit carrying them because of all the problems? That's not exactly a few disgruntled owners.

AVS not carrying them was a factor of the (I think) around $4K list price. Whether this is obvious or not I can't be sure, but at less than 25% of that the game is COMPLETELY different and the rules change.

Frinstance, I once owned a Pontiac Bonneville that was troublesome at times. I paid $14K for it, about market price. If, a year later, I were to pay about $3K for it I would consider myself having lucked out big time. At $14K I cursed my luck.

It's all about opportunity cost. At $14K I coulda had a new Accord (yes, it was a while ago). Nice car, much better than Pontiac had I realized it then. At $3K I could be looking at a used Citation. The Pontiac would win easily.

Really not rocket surgery...
post #208 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:

AVS not carrying them was a factor of the (I think) around $4K list price. Whether this is obvious or not I can't be sure, but at less than 25% of that the game is COMPLETELY different and the rules change.

Frinstance, I once owned a Pontiac Bonneville that was troublesome at times. I paid $14K for it, about market price. If, a year later, I were to pay about $3K for it I would consider myself having lucked out big time. At $14K I cursed my luck.

It's all about opportunity cost. At $14K I coulda had a new Accord (yes, it was a while ago). Nice car, much better than Pontiac had I realized it then. At $3K I could be looking at a used Citation. The Pontiac would win easily.

Well stated KCK7!! I could NOT have said it better.
post #209 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Liked: 11
Let's face it, a PJ with this level of complaints would not be tolerated at it's original MSRP, it's the big discount that has everyone excited. Sure, people say it throws a great picture, and at the give-away price I'd be tempted too (if I hadn't just bought another brand!). Come on, we all know about the start-up issue, if you want to gamble so be it. It's like saying you're gonna buy the Panny AX-100, odds are you'll be sending it in for the stuck iris. As long as you know the risks, and it's OK with you, go for it!
post #210 of 659 Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that it was explicitly stated they would no longer carry it because of their lack of confidence in the quality control of the unit.

And to follow your analogy, this would have been like buying the $14k Pontiac, only to find out that an alarmingly high percentage had engines that seized up. Certainly not something that is going to be tolerated at that price. Now, a couple of years later they are offering that same car for $3k. If the engine doesn't seize, it's a great deal, and at that price people are willing to buy their lottery tickets because the potential upside is so good.

And I will say this: would you rather have a Pontiac that won't run, or a Citation that will at least get you to work and back?

At the current price, *I* am tempted, but I would rather have the confidence that the engine won't seize. Others will decide differently.

Oh, and the reason I replied originally was because the posts pointing out the problems with this unit seemed to be dismissed as the usual few unhappy purchasers. Certainly not the case with this unit.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page