Still confused about HD projectors .... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the Sharp DT-100 projector for about a year now. I'm happy with it, and watch mostly DVD movies and some TV shows. I don't do much HD television and haven't invested in any HD-DVD or Blu-ray stuff yet. Now, I've noticed that my projector has dropped way down in price and the HD projectors are taking it's place on the market.

So, my question is how much of an improvement do you see in picture quality from a standard definition projector to one of the 720p or 1080i's watching non-HD programming such as DVD movies? If there is an improvement, is it simply a clear picture, better colors? I just want to know and I don't know of any store around here where I can check this out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

not much. You may see an increase in contrast if the newer PJ has better numbers in that department but non had material is not that great.

Standard DVD looked better on my 4805 IMHO. But HD-DVD is a different story on a 720p machine.

Wife factor? Hell, my electronics keep me warm at night.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushy View Post

not much. You may see an increase in contrast if the newer PJ has better numbers in that department but non had material is not that great.

Standard DVD looked better on my 4805 IMHO. But HD-DVD is a different story on a 720p machine.

First thanks for the informative reply. Second. Wow. I still can't believe all the hype about HD when so much available content is simply not available in HD. I'm aware of the HD-DVD and Blu-ray but last I checked those movies were more expensive than DVD's with far less selection. I'd be more interested in improving my picture quality for standard def at this point.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 PM

techshare,I'm alittle confused by your question.You know your DT-500 is a 720-768 unit.I use a fairly inexpensive upconverting LG dvd player with mine and get a great picture.Some other people on here can tell you more about source components of choice.HDTV from dish network 622 looks great too.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ered View Post

techshare,I'm alittle confused by your question.You know your DT-500 is a 720-768 unit.I use a fairly inexpensive upconverting LG dvd player with mine and get a great picture.Some other people on here can tell you more about source components of choice.HDTV from dish network 622 looks great too.

I have a DT-100, 854X480 max resolution and I have it hooked via VGA to a computer. I mostly play everything through Windows MCE so I'm not sure about all that upconverting stuff. I can't do any HD stuff with my setup at this time anyway.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

dt-100 not dt-500. Two different animals in resolution.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techshare31 View Post

So, my question is how much of an improvement do you see in picture quality from a standard definition projector to one of the 720p or 1080i's watching non-HD programming such as DVD movies? If there is an improvement, is it simply a clear picture, better colors?

Well, assuming all things being equal except resolution, the answer to your question comes down to how close you want to sit to the screen, i.e. how immersive an experience you want. From 2x+ screen width back on SD material, there's not much difference between a DC2 480p DLP and a DC2 720p DLP. Sit 1.5x screen width back, and the difference is much more pronounced. The image on the 720p will seem smooth, while the 480p will seem course, with noticable SDE and pixellation.

I went from a 480p to a 720p DLP, and I could never go back to 480p. I'm too used to the closer viewing distance and more immersive experience.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had the Sharp DT-100 projector for about a year now. I'm happy with it, and watch mostly DVD movies and some TV shows. I don't do much HD television and haven't invested in any HD-DVD or Blu-ray stuff yet. Now, I've noticed that my projector has dropped way down in price and the HD projectors are taking it's place on the market.

So, my question is how much of an improvement do you see in picture quality from a standard definition projector to one of the 720p or 1080i's watching non-HD programming such as DVD movies? If there is an improvement, is it simply a clear picture, better colors? I just want to know and I don't know of any store around here where I can check this out. Thanks.

Just confirming what others have posted. 720p and up is where you'll want to be when you upgrade to HD. Enjoy what you have for now.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushy View Post

Personally, I disagree. After having lived with my HD1000u for eight months now and then going to the office and having to view the various SD/XGA projectors we have there - I don't know how you guys deal with the screen door effect. SD material on my 720p projector is leagues better than SD stuff on the lower res machines. And I used to say that screen door didn't really bother me when I had my XGA projector here at home, but now I could NEVER go back to a standard def projector.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

From 2x+ screen width back on SD material, there's not much difference between a DC2 480p DLP and a DC2 720p DLP.

I have to disagree with this. When I was auditioning to replace my 576p pj, I had a 4805 for a bit. From 2x width, the difference between 480p and 576p was clearly evident. I couldn't actually see the grid, but the picture was much more course. Going from 576 to 720 wasn't as dramatic, but 480 to 720 should make quite a difference, even at 2x width. Everyone's sensitivity is different, so YMMV.

Rob
post #11 of 14 Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Remember that a photograph has a resolution in excess of 1200 dpi (dots per inch). The more pixels, the smoother and more accurate the picture. However, as the other poster's have said, for video material, it all depends on how big your screen is and how far back you sit. Picture quality also depends on whether or not you have calibrated your display. A calibrated PJ will always outperform an uncalibrated one (and brighter is usually not better - most PJs are set way too bright and over-saturated, etc. as delivered).

HD material looks great on my backup HC3 PJ (960 x 540) on a 106" diagonal screen from 11.5' (1.43x screen width) away. My regular 1280 x 720 PJ (MT700) provides a lot smoother picture and shows more detail with a better contrast ratio. That's even with SD DVDs, which are mastered at 720 x 480, interlaced.

I would expect, that if I got a 1080p PJ, it would provide another incremental improvement in picture quality (more photographic like). If I were to buy a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (BD) player, then there would be another incremental improvement (a good BD or HD-DVD movie has better picture quality compared to HDTV broadcasts - HDTV programs are compressed, and lose detail because of that).

As robbyc30 stated, YMMV, it all depends on the PJ, screen, seating distance, and your visual acuity (as well as how nit-picky you are).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #12 of 14 Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Second. Wow. I still can't believe all the hype about HD when so much available content is simply not available in HD. I'm aware of the HD-DVD and Blu-ray but last I checked those movies were more expensive than DVD's with far less selection. I'd be more interested in improving my picture quality for standard def at this point.

Some of us do almost all of our viewing in HD. I know I do. Just about all prime time broadcasts on the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are in HD, as are most nationally televised sporting events. Add to that HD only networks like Discovery HD Theater, INHD, HDNET, etc. etc. and you have a solid selection. I rent my HD-DVD movies from Netflix, and do my gaming in HD on my Xbox 360. I have no use or need for SD at this point...it's a dead format to me. Plus, it looks terrible on a 100+" screen. I'd say I watch 2 hours at most of SD programming in an average week, maybe less.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-23-2007, 03:22 PM

It is a myth that digital display at 480p with 854 x 480 is perfect for SD content.

480p is perfect may be true if you have good analog 480p display
- such as a CRT

DVD is encoded at 720 x 480 resolution. the pixels are rectangular in shape. And depending on whether the title is 4:3 or 16:9 enhanced, its rectangular shape is different - 4:3 is taller, 16:9 is wider

When displaying a 4:3 DVD only 640 x 480 is available on a 480p display, a 12.5% horizontal resolution is lost. 720p display has 960 x 720 resolution at 4:3 mode

When displaying 16:9 content the situation is better. But, trying to use 854 square pixels to approximate the image formed by 720 rectangular pixel is quite far from perfect.

Easy way to prove this is trying any DVD resolution test pattern with 6.5Mhz burst from DVD like Avia or Digital Video Essential, 720p projector can do a much better approximation than 480p that many people believed to be perfect for DVD

720p displays SD better than 480p, it is more than just less SDE, it is really better in horizontal resolution.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM

You tell'em broadwayblue

Xbox Live Gamertag - polygonkilla
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page