do not buy from mounts and more - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just redcived my $250 ceiling mount form mountsandmore it showed up with white parts and black parts.. I ordered white.. I just got off the phone with them. they explained to me how it was my fault that they sent me half white and half black and that if i wanted it changed, I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee and return shipping.. seriously, this is probably the WORST customer service I have ever seen in my life.. the bulk of the conversation was taken up by the mounts and more rep trying to convince me that it was my fault they sent me a mix-matched mount.. freaking idiots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Liked: 14
I usually hang up and call back later. Usually, you get a different customer service rep.

==Cocophone==
post #3 of 35 Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

filefish, just curious, why did you decide to order from them and why a $250.00 mount?

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #4 of 35 Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Tell them if they are going to charge you $25 for a return on a botched order, you would rather spend that $25 filing a small claims court case against them and see what they say.
post #5 of 35 Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

filefish, just curious, why did you decide to order from them and why a $250.00 mount?

LOL, I was going to ask the same question.. I bought mine for like 100 bucks at Frys and it's a universal..

Universal Mount

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #6 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if that one comes with an extension. Seems I could get a mount plus extension for about the same price from mountdirect. Still deciding between it and the Chief.

post #7 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if that one comes with an extension. Seems I could get a mount plus extension for about the same price from mountdirect. Still deciding between it and the Chief.

I bough mine from mountdirect and it is a solid mount. My pj hasn't budged a millimeter in 9 months.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

I bough mine from mountdirect and it is a solid mount. My pj hasn't budged a millimeter in 9 months.

Thanks, this is the assurance I needed. It will also save me a few $$$ than the Chief. BTW - did you buy from their eBay store or their regular web store?

post #9 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
mjn

I made my own, I just couldn't see any reason a mount should cost over $50. Mine cost $5 to make.
post #10 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, this is the assurance I needed. It will also save me a few $$$ than the Chief. BTW - did you buy from their eBay store or their regular web store?

ebay
post #11 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 AM
jay

Liked: 11
MountDirect's mounts are great... Will definitely buy another one when or if I move into a house.. One for my bedroom and another one for a theater room.. For $50 shipped definitely a great buy...
post #12 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

which type is everyone buying.....NPL or PMS?

post #13 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 AM
jay

Liked: 11
Quote:

which type is everyone buying.....NPL or PMS?

Sorry but I don't know what NPL stand for.. But this is the mount I bought from them... Click here
post #14 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, that is a PMS.

a NPL is like this one:
http://cgi.*********/NPL-PROJECTOR-M...QQcmdZViewItem

(replace ***** with e b a y.com)

post #15 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an HD70 hung with a PMS series.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

hmmm....seems most get the PMS one. Not sure why I was thinking the NPL one would work better.

post #17 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, great abbrevation for it.. PMS

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #18 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by filefish View Post

I just redcived my $250 ceiling mount form mountsandmore it showed up with white parts and black parts.. I ordered white.. I just got off the phone with them. they explained to me how it was my fault that they sent me half white and half black and that if i wanted it changed, I would have to pay a 10% restocking fee and return shipping.

Why don't you just dispute the credit card charge? That puts the burden on the merchant to prove that they provided the service that you paid for.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Either your claim is valid or it is not. If it was an ordering mistake on your part, sure a nicer vendor would try and help. Maybe waive the restocking, but you'd still have to pay to ship it back. If your claim is valid, you shouldn't be here complaining. You should be complaining to that CSR's manager. I do phone support. I don't give any leeway to these CSR's.

I also don't trash a vendor because of one CSR. I've had zero problems with them for my orders, and they got me my Chief RPA unit no problems at all.

For me to even try anything other than a Chief RPA, you'd have to let me have it for a free shipped in-home trial period and then pay for the return shipping if I didn't want to keep it. Then again, the quick release mechanism is of primary value to me; maybe not to others. And I despise "universal" mounts. And the Chief gear is simply rock solid. (I will say they could do a better job of making sure the black coating stuff does not get on the pipe threads; that was a pain).
post #20 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac770 View Post

For me to even try anything other than a Chief RPA, you'd have to let me have it for a free shipped in-home trial period and then pay for the return shipping if I didn't want to keep it. Then again, the quick release mechanism is of primary value to me; maybe not to others. And I despise "universal" mounts. And the Chief gear is simply rock solid. (I will say they could do a better job of making sure the black coating stuff does not get on the pipe threads; that was a pain).

My MountDirect PMS mount consists of two parts, one for the ceiling and one for the PJ. One screw locks the whole thing together and is quite easily to separate when you need to. It's as quick a disconnect as anything else out there. Of course, I don't find any significant difference between a 40K Lexus and an 80K Mercedes, but that's just me.
post #21 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 PM

I got the npl version and like it. Just wish they had packaged it better.

Click here to view my media room construction thread
post #22 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

so, what is the difference in purpose between PMS and NPL? I know the PMS can do vaulted ceilings but what else? I may just have to call and speak to them but if anyone has done that already, please let me know. Thanks.

post #23 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I also had a bad experience from them, they would not issue me an RMA to return within their return policy eventhough it was a sealed box. AMEX fixed that

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #24 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

My MountDirect PMS mount consists of two parts, one for the ceiling and one for the PJ. One screw locks the whole thing together and is quite easily to separate when you need to. It's as quick a disconnect as anything else out there. Of course, I don't find any significant difference between a 40K Lexus and an 80K Mercedes, but that's just me.

As mentioned, I'd have to test drive it for free first. With the RPA, when I take my projector down and on the road, the attachment plate makes a perfectly fine stand when setting the projector on a table. And the four thumbscrews give me fast and easy roll/pitch adjustment, though not as wide ranging as the part that stays attached to the ceiling.

So is that what you got two colors of? The ceiling part and the projector part? For the Chief, it comes all separate. So you buy the projector mount, then the ceiling plate, then whatever drop pole. If your two different colored parts were a single line item, that's f-ed up.

Like others have mentioned, that's why you always use a credit card. Dealers may screw around with small little you, but the credit card companies have all the money. And in the meantime, you don't have to pay for it.
post #25 of 35 Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

OK here is the deal, the $250 included a RGBHV to VGA adapter. the mount comes in 3 parts, the ceiling part, which is special as it allows you to run the wired through the pipe, the pipe, which is 1 1/2 NPT I decided that for $24 I would go to home depot and buy several sizes at ~ $2-$5 each, paint the one I want white and return the others, and the projector mount. I wanted a mount that would fit any of 3 PJs I might end up with and the website was incomplete, so I called and said that I wanted a mount that would fit these 3 PJ's in white. the rep said, here is the setup that will work for you. when it showed up a week later the ceiling part was black... I called them up to explain the mix-up and request a white one be sent.. I was sharply asked, well did you look at it on the website before you paid for it (as if to suggest: what kind of idiot would order over the phone with out double checking the web site) I went on to say that the web site was two confusing and that is why i called the order in. i was almost done with my response when he interrupted, well you are responsible to double check on out website when you order... i tried to explain that what he was saying was ridiculous, who on earth would order a 1/2 black and 1/2 white mount, I was counting on your Internet claim that you guys were the mount experts. then he explained that they do not carry that part in white and if I mail it back to them on my dime, they would possess a refund minus the restocking fee... I just hung up at that point... I need to go back and check to see if he lied about that part
post #26 of 35 Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

LOL, great abbrevation for it.. PMS

OT do you know why they call it PMS???? well because Mad Cow Disease was already taken

as to why i chose them for a mount, well, there was no thread like this so i assumed they were OK, one nice thing about eBay is that if someone screws around with customers you find out real quick.

I have no complaints with the mount, it would probably support my XG852

as to why i spent $200 on a mount, I did not want a universal, as it is going in my living room which is very nice, can lights, crown-molding wood floors, motorized screen.. you get the idea I wanted something that looked sharp

post #27 of 35 Old 08-05-2007, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filefish View Post

OT do you know why they call it PMS???? well because Mad Cow Disease was already taken

as to why i chose them for a mount, well, there was no thread like this so i assumed they were OK, one nice thing about eBay is that if someone screws around with customers you find out real quick.

I have no complaints with the mount, it would probably support my XG852

as to why i spent $200 on a mount, I did not want a universal, as it is going in my living room which is very nice, can lights, crown-molding wood floors, motorized screen.. you get the idea I wanted something that looked sharp

Okay, but my universal is so small you simply can't see it at all.. All you see is the ceiling and then projector.. But seeing your projector seems to be harder to do as it's really big and probably needs alot more support..

Looks like a CRT and if so it must be really nice and bright, ..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #28 of 35 Old 08-05-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Okay, but my universal is so small you simply can't see it at all.. All you see is the ceiling and then projector.. But seeing your projector seems to be harder to do as it's really big and probably needs alot more support..

Looks like a CRT and if so it must be really nice and bright, ..

crt's are no very bright, I am replacing it. as you can see the screen starts 11 inches down from the ceiling due to the soffit that contains the motor and speakers. in order to get proper geometry and even brightness, you need the pj at about the top of the screen YMMV. we also have a railroad about 100 yards away so it needs to be very sturdy and I wanted to put the cabling in the drop tube. I did not want to see a bunch of pins and bolts in the shaft
post #29 of 35 Old 08-05-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I need a mount that has at least 20 inches of extension and is adjustable. Anyone know of such a mount? It seems like a Peerless PRS-KIT - Adjustable Height Projector Ceiling Mount Kit, with 20-26 inch extension is 185. That seems about the price for this type of mount. Granted, I could probably just get the tubing (35) from Home Cheapo but that would also take a while. Is my time worth around 30?

Bob
post #30 of 35 Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the mountdirect one has a variable adjustment pipe.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page