Reviews of Marantz VP4001? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2843 Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brightness numbers wont work for you--my screen has a 1.3 gain so maybe on a 1.0 gain screen that would be about - 2 or -3.

Glad you found an answer for your problem. Been playing with the cms in order to get more dynamic reds but will take some work and experimentation. The Designer White DIY screen is supposed to be colour nuetral but it may be having an effect.
Watched "The Wind and the Lion" with my GF last night and it looked great---Sean Connery was very Sean Connery---lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2843 Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post

Looks like it's disappeared off uBid again. Hope it will keep coming back for a while still. Do any other online dealers have it at this price?

it is back again!

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #363 of 2843 Old 09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I'm so ready to buy a 720p projector and can spend ~$1300. Is this the one to get right now? Was anything interesting announced at CEDIA?
post #364 of 2843 Old 09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

I'm so ready to buy a 720p projector and can spend ~$1300. Is this the one to get right now? Was anything interesting announced at CEDIA?

I haven't been to CEDIA, but based on various reports, looks like for your price range and 720p, there's nothing much exciting out of it. If VP4001 fits your installation scenario, it is a very good value. Those who got VP4001 (including myself) are all happy with its overall performance based on this and other threads (unless those who are unhappy did not post).

Other 720p DLP choices around/below your price range can be Sharp 12K, CT-500, XV-Z3K. On 720p LCD side, there are Sanyo Z5, Epson 400, Panasonic AX-100U, and so on, which are also well-received. This is perhaps a very good time for 720p projector hunters.
post #365 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 AM

I'm posting this for those who have a 4805 (or similar) and are looking at this PJ as an upgrade to 720p. I just received my 4001 yesterday and fired it up last night. Bear in mind that my 4805 broke (light tunnel, color wheel) about two weeks ago and I installed my old X1 to hold the spot until a replacement arrived. I was moments away from a Mitsu 1500 when this thread appeared. I read for a few days then started searching uBid for one. Eventually it appeared and I got one uncontested at the base starting price.

My viewing breaks down to ~this (just had to use the ~):

50% DVD (SD for now)
25% HD (OTA receiver)
25% ps2 (kids)

I propped it up on its own box and cranked it up. I expected to be impressed (especially since I was using the X1 the last two weeks), but what I saw was absolute shock and awe. My basement is ~30' deep, the front 15' has recessed lighting on a dimmer, the back 15' has 4' fluorescents in a drop ceiling. My walls are light blue, ceiling is dropped and white. My screen is 106" of Sherwin Williams Luminous White eggshell painted on drywall. Far from ideal, and not exactly an ambient light killer. I describe all that to let you know that it is not the best HT environment even though there is total light control. My daughter was in the back area crafting, so the bright fluorescents were on (which reflects light everywhere) and I had the recessed lights on full to set up the PJ. I fed it an HD image from the OTA receiver using the serial port (no HDMI cable yet). When the bulb fired up I couldn't believe my eyes. The image this thing projected with all the lights on looked like a huge plasma TV! Granted, the default settings on the PJ are 'wide' iris (highest lumens) and 'dynamic' picture (brightest colors), but it was incredibly bright! Football season is here, and we regularly have a group over to watch the game. People are all over the room, some very close, others way in the back where the food inevitably is. The fluorescents are always on and the recessed are on too, but usually dimmed to keep the image from getting too washed out. This beast is gonna have jaws dropping this Sunday! Yes, blacks suffer in that environment, but as we all know it's perceived as darker when the image around it is brighter. In a word ... WOW.

Then I turned off all the lights to see what we had for movie viewing. After burning my retinas with the PJ in its out-of-the-box settings, I closed down the iris and changed the picture setting to 'theater'. The bulb went to eco, the fan dropped some speed (and noise) to low. The image was instantly transformed into deep, detailed blacks and vibrant colors. This is with no other tweaks, just OOTB settings. Totally embarrasses the 4805 (and I thought that was pretty good, especially in the dark). I can't tell you how the 4001 compares to others in it's class/price range, but I can tell anyone who is considering upgrading to this from a 4805-class PJ that it's an absolute steal at this price. Is there a better value out there? Dunno, haven't seen the competition, but I can certainly say that this is a GREAT value. If you are looking for some viewing flexibility (i.e. sports/TV, game console, movies) I don't know how this thing can be beat. Retina-burning bright when you need it, theater-dark when you want it. I should also qualify my review by saying I am not the most discerning of viewers. I don't pixel-peep, screen door doesn't bother me, rainbows - don't see 'em. I've had PJs since the X1 was $999.00 and I'm still amazed every time I see that huge image (though 106" is starting to look like just a big screen instead of a theater screen - yikes). If you've read this far you've already seen chexi1's great in-depth review and several others that followed, so this isn't really news. I just wanted to come from the perspective of the 4805 (or similar) owner who is eyeballing a 720p upgrade. If you're that person, I hope this helped.

GJ
post #366 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjohnson56 View Post

I'm posting this for those who have a 4805 (or similar) and are looking at this PJ as an upgrade to 720p. I just received my 4001 yesterday and fired it up last night. Bear in mind that my 4805 broke (light tunnel, color wheel) about two weeks ago and I installed my old X1 to hold the spot until a replacement arrived. I was moments away from a Mitsu 1500 when this thread appeared. I read for a few days then started searching uBid for one. Eventually it appeared and I got one uncontested at the base starting price.

My viewing breaks down to ~this (just had to use the ~):

50% DVD (SD for now)
25% HD (OTA receiver)
25% ps2 (kids)

I propped it up on its own box and cranked it up. I expected to be impressed (especially since I was using the X1 the last two weeks), but what I saw was absolute shock and awe. My basement is ~30' deep, the front 15' has recessed lighting on a dimmer, the back 15' has 4' fluorescents in a drop ceiling. My walls are light blue, ceiling is dropped and white. My screen is 106" of Sherwin Williams Luminous White eggshell painted on drywall. Far from ideal, and not exactly an ambient light killer. I describe all that to let you know that it is not the best HT environment even though there is total light control. My daughter was in the back area crafting, so the bright fluorescents were on (which reflects light everywhere) and I had the recessed lights on full to set up the PJ. I fed it an HD image from the OTA receiver using the serial port (no HDMI cable yet). When the bulb fired up I couldn't believe my eyes. The image this thing projected with all the lights on looked like a huge plasma TV! Granted, the default settings on the PJ are 'wide' iris (highest lumens) and 'dynamic' picture (brightest colors), but it was incredibly bright! Football season is here, and we regularly have a group over to watch the game. People are all over the room, some very close, others way in the back where the food inevitably is. The fluorescents are always on and the recessed are on too, but usually dimmed to keep the image from getting too washed out. This beast is gonna have jaws dropping this Sunday! Yes, blacks suffer in that environment, but as we all know it's perceived as darker when the image around it is brighter. In a word ... WOW.

Then I turned off all the lights to see what we had for movie viewing. After burning my retinas with the PJ in its out-of-the-box settings, I closed down the iris and changed the picture setting to 'theater'. The bulb went to eco, the fan dropped some speed (and noise) to low. The image was instantly transformed into deep, detailed blacks and vibrant colors. This is with no other tweaks, just OOTB settings. Totally embarrasses the 4805 (and I thought that was pretty good, especially in the dark). I can't tell you how the 4001 compares to others in it's class/price range, but I can tell anyone who is considering upgrading to this from a 4805-class PJ that it's an absolute steal at this price. Is there a better value out there? Dunno, haven't seen the competition, but I can certainly say that this is a GREAT value. If you are looking for some viewing flexibility (i.e. sports/TV, game console, movies) I don't know how this thing can be beat. Retina-burning bright when you need it, theater-dark when you want it. I should also qualify my review by saying I am not the most discerning of viewers. I don't pixel-peep, screen door doesn't bother me, rainbows - don't see 'em. I've had PJs since the X1 was $999.00 and I'm still amazed every time I see that huge image (though 106" is starting to look like just a big screen instead of a theater screen - yikes). If you've read this far you've already seen chexi1's great in-depth review and several others that followed, so this isn't really news. I just wanted to come from the perspective of the 4805 (or similar) owner who is eyeballing a 720p upgrade. If you're that person, I hope this helped.

GJ

I am glad that you are a happy new owner of the Marantz. Several days in and I am still happy. I did, however, find 1 major downside. When I finally do upgrade to 1080p, I am going to want another Marantz... and it will not likely be at this price! It looks likes Marantz's stealth marketing campaign with the VP4001 might have worked after all...
post #367 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

GJ, thanks for reviewing your experience. I am glad we still have more happy folks coming to the party with jaws dropping all over. Up to this day the VP4001 still makes me drop mine. I have the 4805 over at my old house and when I go over there to check up on the renters and see it, man it still looks good but the VP4001 is....well...awesome.

One of my criterias was to be able to light up for sports and dim down for great movie watching. I am with you, it is hard to find a PJ that does both so perfectly.

Enjoy your buy.

BTW - I saw one on U**d last night that had 43 bids...yikes! Not sure they know another one appears right after. This is rather unusual so it looks like many more will be joining us soon.

post #368 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

I am glad that you are a happy new owner of the Marantz. Several days in and I am still happy. I did, however, find 1 major downside. When I finally do upgrade to 1080p, I am going to want another Marantz... and it will not likely be at this price! It looks likes Marantz's stealth marketing campaign with the VP4001 might have worked after all...

I'm with you. Definitely a downer. I think I want to stick with the Marantz family. Damn them for pricing the 1080p so high.

post #369 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, how will I ever convince my wife that we need a pj that costs 5 digits to replace this fantastic one that barely cost 4.
post #370 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 AM

GJ,

Great post! Mine is coming sometime today, it's gonna replace an optoma h31, I have also owned the 4805 so this is great news for me.
post #371 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

i would still be inclined to believe that sharp and marantz have a much tighter bond than they would like us to know that they have. their HT projector lines have eerily similar specs across the board when it all comes down to it and whether you eventually end up with an S1 or a sharp 20k i think you would be quite happy as are all current vp4001 / z3000 owners
post #372 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Nice to hear from so many shining hapy people.

Watched King Kong last night---never seen him looking so good. The sunsets looked fantastic.

Hooked up a Toshiba dvd player through component just to try it----looked less detailed but did notice each input needs its own calibration. Back to the OPPO for me.

I take it the new OPPO is hdmi unfortunately mine is dvi therefore I can only get RGB with it and some menu options are greyed out.

Will probably soon get a HD player with the Reon chip--- I've seen the sharp xv3000 with the sony bluray player and it looked incredible but the player itself was S-L-O-W.
post #373 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

that's why i got a noisy PS3 - fan can be a nuisance at times but the sucker is FAST!
post #374 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM

I am on a tight budget and was considering an Acer PH530 for $600 to tide me over until I can swing a 1080p in a couple years. Then I came across this thread. Anyone have a feel for what the PQ improvement would be on a DIY 98" Designer White screen? Is it worth the additional 600 or so?

Also, gbrnole, I have a PS3 and it was really noisy... I once left it on in a closed shelf and I thought someone was using a hair dryer! I moved it to a wide open shelf and it is whisper quiet now. Okay, maybe a loud whisper, but far far better!
post #375 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Cap'n Dave....I don't think anyone has seen both to make a real comparison. Some say it is half of what the VP4001 is and therefore half the price. If you are on a tight budget and new to FP, it may be wise to get the PH530 and invest in some speakers or room treatments at this time. From what I see on the PH530 thread, no one seems disappointed so far.

BTW - note that the VP4001 has a 3-year warranty so if keeping for a couple of years this may be worth weighing against purchasing a similar warranty on the PH530.

post #376 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

yeah that's why i say "at times" i have it in a very well ventilated cabinet at the moment but when the door is closed the fan still ramps up - leave the door open and it stays nice and quiet.

as far as the $600 question goes though, yeah i personally think it's very much worth the extra money with the only downside being that it doesn't accept 1080p 24 like some of the more recent 720p PJ's do.

if you don't want to spring for the vp4001 then check the bay to see if you can find a good deal on a sharp dt-500 or xv-z3000 which will provide near identical performance.
post #377 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks tradewinds! I am good to go on audio with good gear (North Creek speakers, Adcom, Velodyne, HK, etc.) so only major expense left is the projector. I have permission from my financial manager (wife) to go with this Marantz, and I think a later upgrade to 1080p would be a hard sell, and maybe not even much of an improvement seeing I have “only” a 98 inch screen and a 12x15 room. I think I may get upgrade fever much sooner with the Acer. This is one of the toughest decisions ever!
post #378 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

dave, you have some nice equipment no sense in throwing a weak link into the mix when an equally nice piece of equipment can be had for an amazing price.

like i've said before the acer has always been a $600 PJ, the same can't be said of the marantz.
post #379 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrnole View Post

dave, you have some nice equipment no sense in throwing a weak link into the mix when an equally nice piece of equipment can be had for an amazing price.

like i've said before the acer has always been a $600 PJ, the same can't be said of the marantz.

yep. If he has everything else, then I agree. Don't screw it up with the PJ choice.

post #380 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

i guess the way you might look at it is that the benefit of the decent 1080p PJ's is the the gaudy amount of shadow detail and sharpness they can extract from images.

in the 720p sector not too many pj's can really kick it with shadow detail but a couple stand proud and it's not the least bit shocking that those pj's just happen to be manufactured by sharp and marantz respectively.

the samsung 710ae is also very, very good with shadow detail - possibly even a hair better - but it loses out on it's inability to paint deep blacks.

the 1080p's should be a touch more sharp but unless you use a huge screen i'm not so sure you would notice the difference all that much - at least in comparison to the budget 1080p pj's.

if staying below a thousand bucks was my goal then i would rather go with an HC1500 or epson 400 or best of all find one of the new-in-box sharp dt-500 deals on ebay for a bit under 1k.
post #381 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Got mine today and having it running thru a bravo d1. The picture really looks great! Compared to my optoma h31 the blacks on the marantz are so much better. But the thing I like the most is no screen door. I could see it on the optoma but not on the marantz. I am using medium iris and theater 1, adjusted the contrast and the brightness. Colors are fantastic. The only problem I have is now I need a bigger screen. I was projecting a 67" wide but with this one the smallest I can get is just over 70". I was looking at a dalite 57 x 77 which would fit in between my speakers. What is the recommendation for the type of screen fabric? I currently have hcmw. Should I go with matte white?
post #382 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Was playing around last night. Hooked up my HP Lappy by HDMI and watched some HD movie trailers off of Yahoo. Quite fun. Great picture. Now I need to calibrate my computer screen!!! It looked so much worse then the Marantz.

Still waiting for my mount and HDMI cables--can't wait to get this thing mounted.

Cheers!

bdbaba
post #383 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Dave View Post

Thanks tradewinds! I am good to go on audio with good gear (North Creek speakers, Adcom, Velodyne, HK, etc.) so only major expense left is the projector. I have permission from my financial manager (wife) to go with this Marantz, and I think a later upgrade to 1080p would be a hard sell, and maybe not even much of an improvement seeing I have only a 98 inch screen and a 12x15 room. I think I may get upgrade fever much sooner with the Acer. This is one of the toughest decisions ever!

I'm in the same situation. I received the VP4001 yesterday and the PH530 is arriving tomorrow! I don't think uBid will take back the VP4001 so if I open the PH530, I'm going to leave the VP4001 unopened so that I can sell it brand new.

If I open the VP4001, I probably don't want to open the PH530 due to 15% restocking fee.

I'm still leaning towards opening the PH530 to save over $600 and buying a nice 1080p in 2 years.
post #384 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What is everyone using to hang this unit? Mine should be here Friday, so I want to get a decent mount on order soon. I don't think flush mount will work for me. I seem to find mount info/reviews randomly throughout the forums (i.e. display devices, ht set up, DIY, etc.) Is there a specific sub-forum I should be looking in? Thanks.

ST
post #385 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 02:44 PM

Woohoo! I got one on ubid! I feel like a little kid on Christmas! They have 2 more...
post #386 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

I'm in the same situation. I received the VP4001 yesterday and the PH530 is arriving tomorrow! I don't think uBid will take back the VP4001 so if I open the PH530, I'm going to leave the VP4001 unopened so that I can sell it brand new.

If I open the VP4001, I probably don't want to open the PH530 due to 15% restocking fee.

I'm still leaning towards opening the PH530 to save over $600 and buying a nice 1080p in 2 years.

I was hemming and hawing over the VP4001 for weeks and I was finally getting ready to pull the trigger when I heard of the PH530, only yesterday, and spent a while researching it and reading the 530 thread. My research and your post in that deal forum, spurred me to jump on it over the 4001. If I was deciding between the Mits 1500 for $900 or VP4001 for $1200, I'd go with Marantz any day of the week. But considering the $650 price difference between the 530 and the Marantz, and the knowledge that I will crave a 1080p upgrade once those prices get around $1K in a year or two, I decided to go with the Acer.

The cheap bulbs will let me keep this projector running as a backup or in a spare room after I upgrade to another one.

PS. I see you are getting the 530 tommorow, can I ask when you placed your order through Shop/TD? Thanks.
post #387 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigesh View Post

I haven't been to CEDIA, but based on various reports, looks like for your price range and 720p, there's nothing much exciting out of it. If VP4001 fits your installation scenario, it is a very good value. Those who got VP4001 (including myself) are all happy with its overall performance based on this and other threads (unless those who are unhappy did not post).

Other 720p DLP choices around/below your price range can be Sharp 12K, CT-500, XV-Z3K. On 720p LCD side, there are Sanyo Z5, Epson 400, Panasonic AX-100U, and so on, which are also well-received. This is perhaps a very good time for 720p projector hunters.

jigesh,
Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should post this question in the Marantz thread, but I'm glad I did. I read DT-500 and 4001 are a rebadged Sharpvision pj and also the 500 comes calibrated, so it might be even better for me. I'll do some more research. Thanks again.
post #388 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

I was hemming and hawing over the VP4001 for weeks and I was finally getting ready to pull the trigger when I heard of the PH530, only yesterday, and spent a while researching it and reading the 530 thread. My research and your post in that deal forum, spurred me to jump on it over the 4001. If I was deciding between the Mits 1500 for $900 or VP4001 for $1200, I'd go with Marantz any day of the week. But considering the $650 price difference between the 530 and the Marantz, and the knowledge that I will crave a 1080p upgrade once those prices get around $1K in a year or two, I decided to go with the Acer.

The cheap bulbs will let me keep this projector running as a backup or in a spare room after I upgrade to another one.

PS. I see you are getting the 530 tommorow, can I ask when you placed your order through Shop/TD? Thanks.

If you are set on getting a 1080p pj in a couple years and you are married, then go with the PH350. I have not seen it, so I do not know how good it is, but I do know that if your wife saw the Marantz image, it would be a very hard sell for you to convince her in a couple years that a 1080p will be worth spending one dime more. That will be my dilemma, so I better start stashing away personal money now.
post #389 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

jigesh,
Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should post this question in the Marantz thread, but I'm glad I did. I read DT-500 and 4001 are a rebudged Sharpvision pj and also the 500 comes calibrated, so it might be even better for me. I'll do some more research. Thanks again.

I had not heard that the DT500 comes calibrated. Can you post a link? I know the Marantz appears very close to spot on in my setting, but I'm sure it could benefit from a professional calibration (under consideration).
post #390 of 2843 Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

I had not heard that the DT500 comes calibrated. Can you post a link? I know the Marantz appears very close to spot on in my setting, but I'm sure it could benefit from a professional calibration (under consideration).

It's not from a review, but I read it yesterday in the last page or two of the DT500 thread. I don't remember if the member said "calibrated," but he/she was impressed how spot on out-of-the-box the 500 is.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page