Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Chexi1,

You are the Man!! I will try this tonight with Donnie Darko, director's cut. Too bad I did not get the Blu Ray option, but that was way expensive, and I am still waiting for a dual player or to pick up a screaming deal on an HD-A20 and an Samsung 1200 now that they are both being phased out.

Have a great night.

bdbaba

bdbaba,

I suggest you try ffdshow with windows media player for DVD playback. ffdshow is a free software, just download and configure it with LimitedSharpen avisynth script. There is a thread about it in HTPC section. It will blow Oppo 970 away.

Beware, ffdshow gives you lots of options to tweak the pictures and you will keep on playing with it.

Manoj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2843 Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

bdbaba,

I suggest you try ffdshow with windows media player for DVD playback. ffdshow is a free software, just download and configure it with LimitedSharpen avisynth script. There is a thread about it in HTPC section. It will blow Oppo 970 away.

Beware, ffdshow gives you lots of options to tweak the pictures and you will keep on playing with it.

Thanks adude,

I will give it a try and download that stuff today. Donnie Darko was not a good test disc--bad transfer.

bdbaba
post #453 of 2843 Old 09-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Wakeboarding is like waterskiing, only the board is shorter and wider. People can do flips and all sorts of crazy tricks on them. It is pretty much the only leisure activity that could pull me away from the Marantz at the moment.

As for where I am, I live in Dallas, TX, but have a lake house in southern Iowa, so now I am in Iowa.

Sounds fun. I wanna own a lake house, Dagnammit!!!! Do you have a PJ in both places?

Oh well, I guess I will have to just keep renting this shack and walk my "arse" down to the beach!

Have a great weekend,

bdbaba
post #454 of 2843 Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Since VP4001 has one of the air intake vents at the bottom, finding a good table that would not block this vent, may need some efforts. While wooden supplies at the crafts store may help build one, I thought of sharing what I am using currently - see attached pictures. This cost me $50 at IKEA (Item 973.228.00) in case any one would be interested.
LL
LL
LL
post #455 of 2843 Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Well, I really have nothing noteworthy to play on my PJ... Comcast digital, a standard DVD player, and a VHS player.

I would assume all these will look terrible on 106" screen? I'm thinking of getting an HDDVD player ASAP (probably the A2) since most of our watching will be DVDs.

How different does a standard DVD look after upconverting compared to a HD DVD... Wondering how much difference there is...
post #456 of 2843 Old 09-15-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavemanhead View Post

How different does a standard DVD look after upconverting compared to a HD DVD... Wondering how much difference there is...

In my experience, this varies widely depending on the particular sources you are comparing. A very good DVD transfer can look pretty stunning when upconverted -- I'm thinking of something like the Superbit version of The Fifth Element, which may give a mediocre HD transfer (and those unfortunately do exist) a good run for its money. In general, however, there's a pretty dramatic jump in quality when you look at a top-notch HD title -- something like 300 or POTC. It's hard to quantify or describe, you really have to see for yourself . . . Many of us find it difficult to return to watching DVD on the big screen after having been spoilt by HD.
post #457 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 AM

Thanks for input. Does anyone know what type of scaler this PJ uses? I'd assume that the upconverting capabilities of an HD player surpass what the PJ does?
post #458 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Did you guys notice that the U now has three of these PJs up--one of them with a much lower starting price--currently under $800! No reserve.

I was wondering when this would happen--and if it would be worth waiting. I did not wait of course. I remember years ago, they did the same thing with some speakers that I bought from them.
post #459 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Would be an absolute steal at that price, but my guess is this will chug up to very near the prices of the others before auction end.
post #460 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post

Would be an absolute steal at that price, but my guess is this will chug up to very near the prices of the others before auction end.

Well, the auctions ended early. I can only assume someone paid the full $1399.

Now I feel better.
post #461 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavemanhead View Post

Thanks for input. Does anyone know what type of scaler this PJ uses? I'd assume that the upconverting capabilities of an HD player surpass what the PJ does?

From the Marantz website:

"Based on technology originally developed for Marantz’s VP11S1 projector, this high-density video engine benefits from Texas Instruments’ new DDP-3020 video processor/scaler"

Now, try to find out any info on that scaler/processor... good luck.

I did find that it is the same processor/scaler as in my Mits HC3000... which is interesting. I don't think that it is anything super special, but what is weird is that with allegedly the same processor, I get less judder on the Marantz than on the Mits.
post #462 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Finally got my unit ceiling mounted. Watched Shaggy Dog last night with the family and watched the Packers vs. Giants today. These two viewings really show the flexibility of this unit. Shaggy Dog in the dark - narrow iris, theater2 pic setting. Packers game with all the lights on - wide iris, standard pic setting. Both were just amazing. This PJ is such a long leap from the 4805 that it replaced, it's hard to describe the difference. It's a better PJ than the 4805 in the dark, but its ability to throw such an amazing image with the lights on is what really sets it apart for me. Of course, the blacks were not real deep, but because the colors and whites are so bright, the blacks appear much deeper (and this on a white painted 'screen'). I couldn't be happier with my purchase. This thing is just fantastic.

GJ
post #463 of 2843 Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjohnson56 View Post

Finally got my unit ceiling mounted. Watched Shaggy Dog last night with the family and watched the Packers vs. Giants today. These two viewings really show the flexibility of this unit. Shaggy Dog in the dark - narrow iris, theater2 pic setting. Packers game with all the lights on - wide iris, standard pic setting. Both were just amazing. This PJ is such a long leap from the 4805 that it replaced, it's hard to describe the difference. It's a better PJ than the 4805 in the dark, but its ability to throw such an amazing image with the lights on is what really sets it apart for me. Of course, the blacks were not real deep, but because the colors and whites are so bright, the blacks appear much deeper (and this on a white painted 'screen'). I couldn't be happier with my purchase. This thing is just fantastic.

GJ

Since I am away from home, I had to watch that game on a crappy lcd tv at a sports bar instead of in 106" of Marantz glory. Oh well... at least the Pack won.
post #464 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The 4001 is based on the Z3000, and the Z3000 was measured to produce 285 and 352 lumens for the optimized-for-video mode (from PR and PC, respectively). This is just too dim for me. Both reviews stated that the Z3000 was able to produce a lot more lumens than those numbers. My question is if the 4001 can output about 500 lumens or 50% more lumens than the very best mode WITHOUT SACRIFICING IMAGE. 500 is about what the IN76 can produce in the video mode, and I really want to purchase something substantially brighter than the 4805 this time around. If the 4001 can produce good image with 500 lumens, it will work better for me since it can output even more for daytime viewing. Your feedback is as always appreciated.
post #465 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjohnson56 View Post

... watched the Packers vs. Giants today. ... Packers game with all the lights on - wide iris, standard pic setting. Both were just amazing.

This doesn't answer your question, Notti?
post #466 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 AM

Those of you that purchased this PJ from uBid... how long did it take to arrive? I won the bid last Wednesday, paid with Amex, and 5 days later my status is still listed as "In credit card processing". Is this typical? In the meantime, I purchased cables, hdmi switcher, and ceiling mount from Monoprice last night and they shipped this morning!
post #467 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Dave View Post

Those of you that purchased this PJ from uBid... how long did it take to arrive? I won the bid last Wednesday, paid with Amex, and 5 days later my status is still listed as "In credit card processing". Is this typical? In the meantime, I purchased cables, hdmi switcher, and ceiling mount from Monoprice last night and they shipped this morning!

Call uBid - their CC processing is morbidly slow unless prodded. This has been mentioned several times throughout this thread
post #468 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

The 4001 is based on the Z3000, and the Z3000 was measured to produce 285 and 352 lumens for the optimized-for-video mode (from PR and PC, respectively). This is just too dim for me. Both reviews stated that the Z3000 was able to produce a lot more lumens than those numbers. My question is if the 4001 can output about 500 lumens or 50% more lumens than the very best mode WITHOUT SACRIFICING IMAGE. 500 is about what the IN76 can produce in the video mode, and I really want to purchase something substantially brighter than the 4805 this time around. If the 4001 can produce good image with 500 lumens, it will work better for me since it can output even more for daytime viewing. Your feedback is as always appreciated.

If you want further confirmation of this projector's brightness, have a look at messages #365, 398 & 413 in this thread.
post #469 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Dave View Post

If you go through this thread, you will notice that many people needed to call them to get to the "sent to warehouse" status. I got mine in 4 days of ordering; and I called them the same day after winning the bid; and the status changed to "sent to warehouse" from "in credit card processing" the same day; thanks to others who posted their experience with ubid.

EDIT: Oops! Sorry for duplication - Pratticus is faster at typing!
post #470 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post

Call uBid - their CC processing is morbidly slow unless prodded. This has been mentioned several times throughout this thread

I'm in the same position but ten times worse -- in my case it would mean making a very expensive international call. I did email them, but I guess the chances of accomplishing anything that way are about zero.
post #471 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

Don't know about IN76 and 4805, but I found it brighter than Sanyo PLV-Z5 when comparing their best picture modes. Sorry, no light meter to measure lumens.
post #472 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 08:47 AM

1st report. Temporarily got the projector up this weekend. Immediate response from the spouse was "wow, this looks better than the old one". (Old one being the 4805).

For those interested, the 4805 was a little more than 11' back projecting onto a cut 4'x'8' painted tile board. Due to the throw of the VP4001, I have to move the projector forward about a foot and I *might* be able to stay with a 48" vertical height on my DYI screen. I don't mind replacing the screen (cheap and the changes in humidity caused it to warp). but a taller image is going to limit my options.
post #473 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

notti: the one thing that you do neglect to carry over from those reviews is that they both comment on how good the picture still looks in high brightness mode and that is the real beauty of this PJ.

it's a light cannon for day time viewing and very adaptable for viewing in dark rooms. if you don't want to put the vp4001 in it's absolute best mode then stick it in medium iris ala the DT-500 and get the brightness you want with an image that will wipe the floor with an IN76.
post #474 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM

Was just about to get another PJ when I stumbled across this thread! VERY interested. Of course, there has been nothing like researching a pj that has made me feel MORE like an idiot!

Please let me know if this is workable (I looked at the pdf of the manual, and I THINK it should be fine, but....)

My ceilings are standard 8". I plan to mount a 103-106 inch screen on the wall. The projector, I believe, will be about 13-14 feet away or so, on a ceiling mount.

Will this pj work for me? It appears that it will, but I am so far from being an expert, I wouldn't want to screw it up!

"I was just speculatin' about a hypothesis. I know I don't know nothin'."
post #475 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure for 103-106 you can put it that far back. It is a short throw PJ. Take a look at the Projector Central calculator. I think 106 is 12.5' max.

===================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #476 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiwill View Post
Will this pj work for me? It appears that it will, but I am so far from being an expert, I wouldn't want to screw it up!
See attachment. 106" width is somewhere in the 13' range.

VP4001_ThrowChart_Final101906.pdf 74.7578125k . file
post #477 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

That works.. I can always move it up. I was just operating at the max distance back as it seems that worked better for others I was considering.

The part I was worried about is how it has to be a certain distance above the top of screen. Looks like there is approx 3 inches or so of wiggle room there as well (just didn't want my screen to have to be practically "on the floor"). I am thinking this one will work!

"I was just speculatin' about a hypothesis. I know I don't know nothin'."
post #478 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

My dad wants me to build him a new HT so I'm gonna go ahead and order this guy for him. Does anyone know of a good 100+" Screen for $150 or less? Or will I have to DIY a screen to get to that price point?

This is going in a all white room with cream carpeting. I seriously hope to avoid painting.
post #479 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks everybody for feedback. I had read the entire thread. I wanted to read specific comments on how much image degradation I should anticipate when it's in a brighter mode. Pardon me if you felt mine was one of those questions that had been addressed numerous times. Yes I’ve seen my share of them, and they are tiresome. I’ll be back with the 4001 if I come back here.
post #480 of 2843 Old 09-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiwill View Post

That works.. I can always move it up. I was just operating at the max distance back as it seems that worked better for others I was considering.

The part I was worried about is how it has to be a certain distance above the top of screen. Looks like there is approx 3 inches or so of wiggle room there as well (just didn't want my screen to have to be practically "on the floor"). I am thinking this one will work!

You won't need the screen close to the floor. If you flush mount, you can have the screen probably no more than 1 foot below the ceiling, and that is with no digital offset. Check the Marantz site under the VP4001 to find out the exact amount. For reference, I have a 9' ceiling, a 6" drop tube, and my screen is 18" below the ceiling. Lines up great.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page