Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Dave View Post

I should have been clearer. I just wanted to be sure anyone reading wk78's note would not go away thinking a PS3 would not work with this projector. It won't accept 1080p signals, but the PS3 is not limited to that, even on 1080p games.

I should get my VP4001 today, but my PS3 is now connected to a 720p LCD TV that also does not accept a native 1080p signal, and it plays any game on the PS3 just fine. Through HDMI, the PS3 can determine the capability of the display device it is hooked up to and adjust accordingly. My TV is 1366x768 native and looks best when the PS3 is outputting 1080i. The VP4001 will accept 1080i also, but my guess is that it will look best when the PS3 is putting out 720p. There is a setup menu on the PS3 where it will either determine automatically what it is connected to, or you can specify what resolutions to use.

I plan on using the PS3 for all DVD playback, as it will upconvert an SD DVD to 720p and send it over the HDMI.

It has been demonstrated in shootouts that in most situations and seating distances, resolution is not the most observable attribute when comparing 720p and 1080p projectors. Given the great PQ, I suspect the PS3 games will look fabulous on this PJ!

I didn't express myself clearly.
Ok, here is the thing.

Some ps3 games are 1080p. I set the output of my ps3 as 1080i to work with vp4001.
I tried two 1080p games, the pictures were not right because of the 1080i setting on ps3.
I will try to play these two game with 720p setting on ps3. I will report the result later.

I wish that new firmware of ps3 will solve this 1080i output issue for 1080p games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Hi! Can anyone tell me if it is possible to conect an Imac g5 to this projector, and if so what cable I'd need?

I just got the projector, just need the advice!

Thanks,
Steph
Old 09-22-2007, 01:16 AM

I know it's been mentioned before about the bowed image.I don't notice it during normal viewing,but it is apparrant on a computer screen or an onscreen TV guide ie:the lettering is slightly concave or a line is curved as well.Anyone else seeing this?

The frame of the image is rellatively square it's within that I'm seeing this.Any thoughts...Thanks.

Tom

JUPITER and beyond the INFINITE...
Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacux View Post

I know it's been mentioned before about the bowed image.I don't notice it during normal viewing,but it is apparrant on a computer screen or an onscreen TV guide ie:the lettering is slightly concave or a line is curved as well.Anyone else seeing this?

The frame of the image is rellatively square it's within that I'm seeing this.Any thoughts...Thanks.

Tom

I find this quite surprising considering the careful attentiont the projector is supposed to have been given by Marantz (including Konica/Minolta optics). How noticeable do other owners find this? Is it equally apparent throughout the zoom range? Do the two "related" Sharp projectors also display this distortion?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post

I find this quite surprising considering the careful attentiont the projector is supposed to have been given by Marantz (including Konica/Minolta optics). How noticeable do other owners find this? Is it equally apparent throughout the zoom range? Do the two "related" Sharp projectors also display this distortion?

It is apparent throughout the zoom range but I don't feel it's anything major,I think it has more to do with the short throw lense than the optics,wait a tick that is part of the optics isn't it...

Anyway,as I said it's not noticable at all when watching normal content especially HD material.

The PC does look great with this,very sharp,there's just a slight slope there from the left to the middle,not a deal breaker.As someone mentioned it is sensitive to it's positioning.As I said the frame of the image is square,as square as I could get it within my confines which is pretty square nontheless;I guess no PJ is without issue.

Other than that this thing is just phenomenal.You go back and watch Blu-ray and HD-DVD'S you've seen before and you notice things that were'nt there before.Just got done watching Pat Metheny The Way Up Live on HD-DVD and was just immersed in the black level and contrast etc.I mean this title looked great on my AX-100,but this is on a whole other level.The amount of detail the Marantz reveals is superb.

Tom

JUPITER and beyond the INFINITE...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post

How noticeable do other owners find this?

I watch only SD and HD DVD material at around 106" diagonal projection size. I never saw any curvature; the only observation I had was trapezoid which was easily made perfect rectangular by laterally moving the projector to make sure the lens is at 90-degrees to the screen. But since many has observed this curvature (cushioning), I am surprised, too. Perhaps it's due to shorter throw lens on VP4001; and all subsequent Sharp and Marantz models are either standard throw or longer throw.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

Maybe it is smarter to buy another bulb already now ?,

I inquired at an oriental Internet store since I could not find either Marantz VP4001 bulb model LU4001VP or Sharp XV-Z3000's bulb model AN-100LP on their website. They say they can't sell Marantz bulb due to "some" reasons; and that they have now added the Sharp lamp which costs around $150 less than Marantz direct price. Someone here inquired Marantz and got the answer that Sharp bub will do - I assue this is the case. Please PM me if anyone would be interested in buying this Sharp lamp as a spare bulb for future use; and accordingly we can ask that store if there would be any discount if bought in that quantity.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigesh View Post

I inquired at an oriental Internet store since I could not find either Marantz VP4001 bulb model LU4001VP or Sharp XV-Z3000's bulb model AN-100LP on their website. They say they can't sell Marantz bulb due to "some" reasons; and that they have now added the Sharp lamp which costs around $150 less than Marantz direct price. Someone here inquired Marantz and got the answer that Sharp bub will do - I assue this is the case. Please PM me if anyone would be interested in buying this Sharp lamp as a spare bulb for future use; and accordingly we can ask that store if there would be any discount if bought in that quantity.

I would be interested. Let's see if we can get a powerbuy going.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigesh View Post

...and accordingly we can ask that store if there would be any discount if bought in that quantity.

Looks like this won't work out; that store says "we have one price policy; no special price." Also Someone PM'ed me and informed that Marantz direct price is only $50 higher than this store price (I thought Marantz US direct was $500; but I am told it's $400). In that case, idea of a group buy from the oriental store is not worthwhile trying; and hence no need to PM me for the head-count purpose.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hey guys. I just bought the Marantz in this thread last night, largely based on the great reviews here, and also on my prior experience with a Marantz DLP projector. I'm excited about its arrival, hopefully next week.

My first projector was a Marantz DLP VP8000; I sold it when I got a newer Sharp DT-200 in 2004. The Marantz was a first generation DLP, and I I bought it sometime in 2002. It was terrific. After two years of use, however, I had to replace the bulb ($700!) and was frustrated that it wouldn't accept a progressive scan signal from my DVD player. That's why I "upgraded" to the Sharp, which wasn't really an upgrade. The Marantz clearly had better optics in that model, which originally had an MSRP of $7,999 (I got a factory refurb from our favorite U).

I have enjoyed the Sharp, but it's time for a new bulb and I'm not going to spend $500 on one, especially when its native resolution is 800 x 600, and I can get such a great deal on this 720p projector that is as recent as last fall's model. I have HD now via cable, and by gosh I'm going back to that wonderful Marantz quality I remember. I had buyer's and seller's remorse as soon as I got rid of that first one, as its picture was sharper and had better color. The Sharp has a much more noticeable SDE than the older Marantz did at the same viewing distance.

Anyway, I'm excited. I'll let you know my impressions when it arrives. I'm glad everyone here seems to be enjoying theirs so much. Hey, pretty soon I'll be in the club.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

..I'm glad everyone here seems to be enjoying theirs so much..

So much that many of us are already thinking of having a spare bulb now!

Congratulations on your purchase; anecdotal evidence suggests you will be happy..
Old 09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So where can a slow follower like myself grab one of these since the U says no more?
Thank you.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Eagles, you have a PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, I placed my order today. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Takecontrol - did they say how many he had left? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this better(subjective I know) than a Mitsubishi HC1500?
I just bought that and was thinking if this Marantz is a level better I'd return the Mitsu and buy the Marantz.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Is this better(subjective I know) than a Mitsubishi HC1500?
I just bought that and was thinking if this Marantz is a level better I'd return the Mitsu and buy the Marantz.

Even though it is subjective, I think the evidence from many here that are moving from the hd1000u to the vp4001 suggest it is better. I have not seen the HC1500, but I have seen the HD1000u. The VP4001 PQ is much better.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
Old 09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks and the Sanyo PLV-Z5 to the vp4001?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks and the Sanyo PLV-Z5 to the vp4001?

Take a look here (post 340 of this thread):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=340

Old 09-22-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Z5 - sharper and more 'wow' to the colors
vp4001 - more film like, better blacks, better contrast

I guess I need to decide which is for me now. Either would be a step up in every category over my Mitsu HC1500.(except for absolute possible brightness possibly...but they are plenty bright)

Actually the Mitsu HC3000 is around the same price as the Marantz. Which is brighter in real world Lumens and not just rated?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Z5 - sharper and more 'wow' to the colors
vp4001 - more film like, better blacks, better contrast

I guess I need to decide which is for me now. Either would be a step up in every category over my Mitsu HC1500.(except for absolute possible brightness possibly...but they are plenty bright)

Actually the Mitsu HC3000 is around the same price as the Marantz. Which is brighter in real world Lumens and not just rated?

Check this thread, forum member chexi1 upgraded from a HC3000 recently. He did a very detailed review comparing the two also.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anybody ever bought a Mack warranty? How soon do you have to get it once you purchase a pj?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti View Post

Has anybody ever bought a Mack warranty? How soon do you have to get it once you purchase a pj?

Are you contemplating buying one for the bulb? I have not seen cases where people have actually successfully received a bulb from 3rd party warranty. I was planning on buying one for a PJ I was planning on importing but was not sure if I would get the required service needed when I actually need it.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

Check this thread, forum member chexi1 upgraded from a HC3000 recently. He did a very detailed review comparing the two also.

Almost seems to good to be true. What, if any, are its' shortcomings/cons?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you contemplating buying one for the bulb? I have not seen cases where people have actually successfully received a bulb from 3rd party warranty.

Actually, I've been in this forum for quite a while, and I've never ever heard a story from someone who did not get a replacement warranty lamp from MACK or Warrantech. I do read almost every week a post from someone who did get their MACK/Warrantech replacement lamp.

I dare anyone to show me I'm wrong.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

Takecontrol - did they say how many he had left? Thanks.

I didn't call, I ordered online from Second Act. So I don't know.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

Actually, I've been in this forum for quite a while, and I've never ever heard a story from someone who did not get a replacement warranty lamp from MACK or Warrantech. I do read almost every week a post from someone who did get their MACK/Warrantech replacement lamp.

I dare anyone to show me I'm wrong.

You may be right. I didn't get the warranty so I do not know if I would or would not have received the required service years down the road when I may have needed it.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Short throw could be a one and the limited offset another. Also, heat dissipation and possibly noise. With that said, none have bother me except the offset which I am still battling with the mount provider with.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 PM

I'm sitting here watching ALABAMA and UGA game in HD on a SW Luminus White painted wall with flat black painted on wood picture frame trim and wall around the screen. My screen is 112" dia. in 16:9 and I have it framed(10-12" wider) that I can manually adjust, so black bar disappears on bottom for "poor mans" scope in 2.35. The black level that is in the score board on ESPNHD is as black as the wall and the reds are stunning. I'm no expert, but all I can say this picture blows anything I've ever seen.

I've tweak the image some but I cannot imagine anything in 720p projecting a better image...I don't care how much you pay. I did have a very slight bow at bottom of picture so I just raised the frame a hair to block it out and it worked perfectly.

I LOVE THIS PROJECTOR!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Come on Eagles, my review and follow-ups were not all positive. Overall, I am very pleased, but I noted a number of items that were negatives. Furthermore, it would serve me better to have not raved so much about the Marantz vs. the Mits as I am trying to sell my Mits... but you know that, seeing as I suggested to you that you buy the Marantz from someone else over buying my Mits from me.

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector