Reviews of Marantz VP4001? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2843 Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those looking for a mount, check this out.

http://www.bestpricemounts.com/Peerl...categoryID=193

dlipter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2843 Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post

Tradewinds - what do you have working for a screen? I saw you come up in a bunch of posts over in the DIY Screen forum. I'm thinking about the DW laminate. Of course I need to get a mount first though. If anyone else is using the DW laminate please chime in.

I built a 116" screen with the DW, and am very happy with the results.
Of course I'm using a Benq7700, and not the VP4001.
I'm tempted to pick one up and do a shoot out.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #723 of 2843 Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found this mount for Sharp Z3000 which has the exact mounting holes as VP4001 if anyone interested.

http://www.projectormountstore.com/p...products_id=78
post #724 of 2843 Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post

For those looking for a mount, check this out.

http://www.bestpricemounts.com/Peerl...categoryID=193

dlipter

Thanks dlipter. The Peerless are nice. The price not so much. The mountdirect is 90 less than that one. I realize Tradewinds had a bad experience (I saw him mention it a while ago, as well as today) but from what I can read several others have been satisfied. I still haven't decided. I'll keep searching. The monkeyman mount is certainly an option, but I'm not sure I have the time for that and it looks like a mount I buy would have better ventilation since the Marantz pulls in air through the bottom.
post #725 of 2843 Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

perfectmounts was the other place I was contemplating and should have gone with.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #726 of 2843 Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The peerless mount has a gear driven adjustment mechanism.

Super important....and the only one I am aware of with this feature.

Well worth it.

dlipter
post #727 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter View Post

The peerless mount has a gear driven adjustment mechanism.

Super important....and the only one I am aware of with this feature.

Well worth it.

dlipter

I'm clearly new to PJs. Can you explain why a gear driven adjustment is super important? Once I have mine set up it's not going to move. Tightening a few screws to keep it in place doesn't seem that hard.
post #728 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famotidine View Post

Found this mount for Sharp Z3000 which has the exact mounting holes as VP4001 if anyone interested.

Thanks. That one would probably work too. Has anyone else confirmed the Sharp and Marantz have the exact same holes? That makes finding a mount a bit easier since the Marantz is never listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

perfectmounts was the other place I was contemplating and should have gone with.

I was looking at that one as well. The only problem is I can't find out how far it would hang from the ceiling. I'll have to call them today.

Not sure which way to go now. I measured last night and need the PJ to hang about 5" from the ceiling to get the screen where I want it on the wall. I'm at max zoom and looking at an image in the 90" range right now. Since the image can be shifted up or down about 2" all 3 of the mounts we are now talking about would work with the mountdirect and perfectmount being universal mounts, although projectormountstore has universal mounts too.
post #729 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

if you crack open your user manual for the marantz and go to the last page (this is exactly the same place as in the sharp manual) it should tell you your bolt pattern.

i just got done fabricating a new wall mount for my z3000 and i can tell you that the bolt holes are M4 thread (this info should be stated on the PJ itself by the bolt holes) and the holes are precisely:

4-7/64" (104 mm) apart when measure lengthways on PJ
2-61/64" (75 mm) apart when measure widthways on PJ

if your manual follows those same dimensions then you will know for sure that a z3000 mount will work for your vp4001.
post #730 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Those are the same mounting hole dimensions for the Marantz.

Having a gear-driven adjustment is nice because when you move it to where you need it (alignment wise), it will stay when you release it. NOt easy to do with the others, usually you release the pj and it will move a little. NOt only that, but making very small adjustments is difficult.

I presently have one from projectormountstore (for my Optoma H27), but I will modifying it's design to allow finer adjustments (for my Marantz). Just waiting for my aluminum parts to arrive. If this pj is as good as advertised, it deserves a perfect setup, which means a mount that won't frustrate as I'm trying to tweak it in perfectly.

bg
post #731 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famotidine View Post

The more I looked at this one, the more I kept asking, why hasn't someone made one like this, sort of adapting the monkeyman setup? This mount looks like it is simply 2 pieces of aluminum (roughly 4x6 or 5x7), 2 aluminum U pieces and a small square piece of aluminum (along with assorted screws and nuts). I know home depot carrie's the square "tube" and that's only a couple of dollars for a 3' piece. I have no idea where to get the U like pieces from though.
post #732 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yep, it's a very basic design isn't it? And yes, that's what I plan to do. Add the monkeyman adjustments to the bottom for minor tweaking. At least I think it's the monkeyman mount where I got the idea.

I'm also incorporating adjustable height/length by using a tube within a tube. BTW, I've ordered my aluminum from onlinemetals. I couldn't find everything I needed at HD or Lowe's, so I just found one source online. Shipping was a bit of a ripoff, but it's convenient.

bg
post #733 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

i had a choice of either wall mounting or ceiling mounting to a vaulted ceiling. i didn't mind the cieling being vaulted but the drop pole would have been 26" and i didn't feel like looking at that so i built a wall mount instead.

with that said, for my ceiling mount i was going to use these adjustable flanges at either end of a piece of 1 1/4" tube. at the projector end i was going to attach the flange to a monkeyman plate and at the ceiling i was going to lag bolt it into a cross brace spanning between trusses.

paint it either white or black and i think it might have looked decent and worked well?

the above flange is slip-on and locked into place with a set screw but i would have pre-drilled the pipe to make sure there was no possibility of the tube becoming detatched.
post #734 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

Yep, it's a very basic design isn't it? And yes, that's what I plan to do. Add the monkeyman adjustments to the bottom for minor tweaking. At least I think it's the monkeyman mount where I got the idea.

I'm also incorporating adjustable height/length by using a tube within a tube. BTW, I've ordered my aluminum from onlinemetals. I couldn't find everything I needed at HD or Lowe's, so I just found one source online. Shipping was a bit of a ripoff, but it's convenient.

I knew someone had to make one of these. Go to post #16 in the link below. He made EXACTLY what I was talking about.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=mountdirect

Only problem is finding the aluminum channel that he used. If I had any clue as to where to get some (locally) then this would be an easy mount to DIY. As of now I think I'm going to have to go down the mountdirect path. Perfectmounts does seem to have friendlier customer service but I really want the mount for this weekend and it costs and arm and a leg to get here from Canada that fast. Might as well just buy a peerless for that.
post #735 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

this can be used if you don't need the adjustment
post #736 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylanger View Post

I just found this thread very interesting, I jumped on a VP4001 last week!

I had the choice to buy from either uBid or SecondAct. Due to few posts on epinions.com regarding uBid, I decided to go with SecondAct. A little over 300$ more with SecondAct at 1500$ + 50$ shipping -> just so I wouldn't be stressed until the unit arrives. I bought this unit because my wife takes care of handicaps children on our town (not much services in this town for them and it's not like its a major investment) so they can view movies without the need to travel to the city.

uBid for what I recall, shipping cost was 20$ and I read few minutes ago that they double-pack prior to ship while SecondAct at 49$ didn't. When UPS delivered the unit and I saw the driver with the unit not double-pack, I asked myself why didn't I go with the uBid. Well there was no hole in the box but at least at one stop I have to wonder if at one point it was dropped.

I just edited this post to add the following: Note that the Marantz' box is impressively well made inside compare to other products like some Olevia televisions.

Unfortunately, today I found out the SecondAct had a 20% promo on this projector that I wasn't aware and when I placed the order AND I never asked the gentleman over the phone if he would give me the same deal as uBid. I was *very* nervous to spend so much money when I'm not the main viewer! I told myself "just pay the full price so if you run in trouble and need help, I'll probably get better support then if I start 'crying' before I even bought the unit".

What I wonder now: does SecondAct accept returns on this unit? Not that I don't like it, I didn't have time to plug it yet (it's still wrapped) but IS THERE A WAY WE CAN GET THAT 20% OFF? Should I return it and buy another unit with the promo code?

My wife would rather spend that money elsewhere

Never saw this as I left the office at 2pm Thursday the 20th to go for a solo trip into the boundary waters canoe area. No problem crediting you for the $300. If the proj is damaged from shipment we'll file a claim with UPS and ship another.

M-
post #737 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Good luck with SECONDACT!!
It's funny after reading the last post from secondact, How they seem to want to work with you...NOT SO!!!

Being a newbie with my first HT set up and not wanting to miss out on a good deal, I ordered the VP4001 on Monday Sept. 24. I then did my homework and came with the unfortunate conclusion that the VP4001 wasn't going to work with my set up due to the short throw ratio. Yes I know it's my error, But I didn't want to miss out as inventory was running low. I called secondact's customer service dept on Tuesday Sept. 25, And was advised that the projector had already shipped out. I have not yet received the projector so I asked if they can have UPS return the shipment. I was advised that I would be responsible for the shipping charge of $49.00 (which seems unreasonable) and a 15% restocking fee. I then advised that I don't mind paying the $49.00 shipping fee but why should I pay a restocking fee on an item that will not be received, opened or even seen!. They're going to resell this item as new again!. So I got a "Sorry but thats our policy" response. To add insult to injury they sent me the following email this afternoon.

"We will follow up with UPS to have the projector returned. Customer is responsible for shippng both ways and the 15% restocking fee. The 15% restocking fee is assessed on all returns and cannot be waived."

We look forward to being of further service.

Best,

Customer Service
Second Act

OK so now they want to charge me the $49.00 BOTH WAYS for a total of $98.00 plus the 15% fee for a total of $278.00 for returning a projector unused and unopened.

SHAME ON YOU SECONDACT!!!!

Well I wasn't going to pay the ridicolous shipping fee for UPS to return the projector so I called back and asked that they ship it to me anyway. Since they're going to charge me the restocking fee anyway I'll play with it for 30 days and then return it at least they can't sell it as new again. Plus I'll save on the shipping fee when I return it myself.

So bottom line stay away from SECONDACT! stick with UBID or go elsewhere.

Thanks to all!!!
post #738 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondact View Post

Never saw this as I left the office at 2pm Thursday the 20th to go for a solo trip into the boundary waters canoe area. No problem crediting you for the $300. If the proj is damaged from shipment we'll file a claim with UPS and ship another.

M-

To all the newbies around here (like me!), if you find something interesting at SecondAct.com , DO NOT hesitate to order. I give SecondAct my 2 thumbs up and next time I need electronic, I know who to contact.

SecondAct -> Sincere congratulation for the experience I had with my first purchase. I'll come back.

I love this forum, so much to read (so many questions answered in many threads). I'm amazed.
post #739 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes0413 View Post

It's funny after reading the last post from secondact, How they seem to want to work with you...NOT SO!!!

Being a newbie with my first HT set up and not wanting to miss out on a good deal, I ordered the VP4001 on Monday Sept. 24. I then did my homework and came with the unfortunate conclusion that the VP4001 wasn't going to work with my set up due to the short throw ratio. Yes I know it's my error, But I didn't want to miss out as inventory was running low. I called secondact's customer service dept on Tuesday Sept. 25, And was advised that the projector had already shipped out. I have not yet received the projector so I asked if they can have UPS return the shipment. I was advised that I would be responsible for the shipping charge of $49.00 (which seems unreasonable) and a 15% restocking fee. I then advised that I don't mind paying the $49.00 shipping fee but why should I pay a restocking fee on an item that will not be received, opened or even seen!. They're going to resell this item as new again!. So I got a "Sorry but thats our policy" response. To add insult to injury they sent me the following email this afternoon.

"We will follow up with UPS to have the projector returned. Customer is responsible for shippng both ways and the 15% restocking fee. The 15% restocking fee is assessed on all returns and cannot be waived."

Best,

Customer Service
Second Act

OK so now they want to charge me the $49.00 BOTH WAYS for a total of $98.00 plus the 15% fee for a total of $278.00 for returning a projector unused and unopened.

Well I wasn't going to pay the ridicolous shipping fee for UPS to return the projector so I called back and asked that they ship it to me anyway. Since they're going to charge me the restocking fee anyway I'll play with it for 30 days and then return it at least they can't sell it as new again. Plus I'll save on the shipping fee when I return it myself.

Thanks to all!!!

If you have not received it yet, you can refuse shipment but to be fair, you will have to pay their shipping cost both ways and their terms 15% restocking (as they have stated and not just made up for your situation). I am sure the 15% restocking is just for situations like this.

BTW - Ubid also charges 15% restocking

post #740 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Being a newbie with my first HT set up and not wanting to miss out on a good deal, I ordered the VP4001 on Monday Sept. 24. I then did my homework and came with the unfortunate conclusion that the VP4001 wasn't going to work with my set up due to the short throw ratio. Yes I know it's my error...

Guess what.

I also found out that my setup would not work as well, my projector is far in the back. I bought this projector for its reviews and when I realized it is short throw I told myself "damm... but hey!!! ... we got the best deal around" (I was happy at 1499$).

Before placing my order, I read uBid feedbacks on epinions and that's why I went for SecondAct even at 300$ more.

I understand you might not be happy, I'd be frustrated too but I'd tell myself: dammit *I* didn't do my homework and I'd swallow my pill (not sure if this is the right expression in English...).

One thing I learned in my life is not to shoot in public. Who knows, maybe they will have a fantastic / nec-plus-ultra long throw PJ available for 1200$ in a few weeks. If I'd be you, I would have ask for a discount on your next purchase equivalent for the restocking fee, perhaps this is also against their policy I have no clue. I didn't read them and I guess you didn't read them as well?

Again I would definitely without hesitation go again with SecondAct and stay away from uBid (this is just by reading reviews about uBid).
post #741 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 PM

According to my calculations, I need to bring the projector down ~22"-23" from the center of the lens -- I find that quite low since ceiling is at 8' but I can manage to put a large table under the projector to "protect it" from tall people!!

When I mount this projector , can I tilt it a little bit in order not to have to bring it down so much?! I quickly check the PDF manual and didn't see nothing (am I blind!!).

Thank you.
post #742 of 2843 Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to my calculations, I need to bring the projector down ~22"-23" from the center of the lens -- I find that quite low since ceiling is at 8' but I can manage to put a large table under the projector to "protect it" from tall people!!

When I mount this projector , can I tilt it a little bit in order not to have to bring it down so much?! I quickly check the PDF manual and didn't see nothing (am I blind!!).

Thank you.

How did you do you calculations? What height from ground and size is your screen?

post #743 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Best,

Customer Service
Second Act

Thanks to all!!!

You don't really expect any sympathy, do you? You jumped in without thinking. After you realized you screwed up you want the company to foot the bill. How much do you think it cost secondact to process your order, get it shipped out, etc.? And how much would it cost for them to process the return, put the item back in inventory? It sure isn't free. I'd agree it's not 15% either, but they clearly state what the restocking fee is. Knowing that they tried selling these PJs for a higher price tells me that at this price they are barely making any money.

If you had read this thread thoroughly you'll find everyone very satisfied with secondact, myself included. Mark was great to deal with. He even offered to reduce the price for someone who bought online without realizing there was a 20% off code. I did all the calculations and I was worried the PJ wouldn't work. I expressed that to Mark. You know what he said to me? He said I can't do anything about the shipping, but if it definitely doesn't work they could work with me on the restocking fee. That seemed more than fair to me. Before you went off on them in this public forum, did you think about talking to Mark (not a random CSR), or maybe seeing if someone here would want to purchase it from you? These forums are all about people helping out other people. Instead, your first post is to rip someone. In that spirit, my suggestion is you call up Mark and explain your situation nicely and see what he can do for you. He's a nice guy and might still work with you despite what you've said here.

Good luck to you and thanks to secondact for delivering me a nice new PJ at a great price. I can't wait to mount this weekend and start using it.
post #744 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

This does not sound correct to me. In my setup, I have 9' ceiling with the top of the screen 18" below the ceiling. The pj lens is about 10" below the ceiling. Screen size is 106" diagonal, although for this exercise, I don't think screen size really matters.

Quote:

Yes, you can tilt it back. You will get keystoning though. However, you should not need to tilt it back. Your calculations are not correct, unless you have your screen mounted really low.
post #745 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, this is my setup, so let me see if this is correct.
My ceiling is 10' (120")
My screen is 106" diagonal (52" height)
Like chexi1, it will be 38" from floor

Therefore 120-52-38=30"
So, the drop from ceiling to lens is: 30"-8" (VP4001 offset)=22" (1.8 feet)

post #746 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Being a newbie with my first HT set up and not wanting to miss out on a good deal, I ordered the VP4001 on Monday Sept. 24. I then did my homework and came with the unfortunate conclusion that the VP4001 wasn't going to work with my set up due to the short throw ratio.

Nes0413.

First, welcome to the AVS forum .
There is allot of great guys and gals sharing VALUABLE information to read in here.
Sorry to hear about your situation after your pick of choice for a projector .
I have read many if not all the VP4001 threads and it has been mentioned many times that this particular Maratz Projector is indeed A short throw unit.
Also In many threads regarding newbie's first purchase's most people will tell you to make sure you check the specific throw calculates and make sure the specs will fit your need's.
as to shopping on line for almost anything ,great deals are to be had. but so are chances and fees for items ordered incorrectly .
Shipping and the peoples time that do it does not come cheap.
And to be fare secondact has publicly shared all fees regarding shipping and restocking.
no company can make everyone happy all the time but it is a two sided street.
During my search for a new projector I had MANY question to ask as to make sure the specific pj would fit my needs .
I have spoke to Mark from secondact many time on the phone and I must say he seam's to be one honest stand up guy. He answered all my question and if he didn't have the answers he always got back to me in a timely fashion with the answer and not once did Mark ever push me into a sale.
Also I was very excited to see secondact offering great products at more then fare prices and taking the time to answer question in the forum .
Again I'm very sorry to hear about your situation but you need to ask yourself who really is responsible for your recent misfortune.

cheers

Murphy
post #747 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Wow. This is why my wife and I are so hesitant to start our own business. Customers like this.

Second Act has earned my business and this case reinforces it. Their policies are reasonable, and if they don't stick to them their prices would go up. Customers like me and others here who actually do their homework before buying such a product should not subsidize customers that want everyone to take responsibility for their own mistakes except themselves.

Shame on you nes0413.
post #748 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Best,

Customer Service
Second Act

Thanks to all!!!

Your post is riddled with emotion that should really be directed at yourself. Maybe Mark will be able to alleviate some of the financial burden you imposed upon yourself, but if Second Act stuck to their guns, it would not diminish my opinion of them - which is that so far they have shown they are a class act.

I think you fired off prematurely. Not a great first post
post #749 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

ok, this is my setup, so let me see if this is correct.
My ceiling is 10' (120")
My screen is 106" diagonal (52" height)
Like chexi1, it will be 38" from floor

Therefore 120-52-38=30"
So, the drop from ceiling to lens is: 30"-8" (VP4001 offset)=22" (1.8 feet)

I think you're forgetting the picture shift? (http://us.marantz.com/VP4001_ThrowChart_Final101906.pdf) For a 106" screen the center of the lens should be approx 7 3/8" below the bottom of the screen - or in the case of a ceiling mount, above the top of the screen. So I think you're drop should be 22" - 7 3/8" = 14 5/8"

If I have this wrong please let me know because I have a similar situation - my current ceiling mount has a 8" drop and due to the short throw on this projector I had to move the mount 6' closer to the screen - which of course means I now have to drop it down another 9" (17" total) to avoid keystoning. My walls are sloped, so the top of my 108" wide screen is about 6 1/2' high but the mount point for the projector is approx 9' 9" (dimensions are off the top of my head, but should be close). I manually held the projector while my wife measured so I should be close in any case.

On a side note, I tested the VP4001 with some of the HD channels on Dish Network -I finally had to force myself to turn it off, I was simply mesmerized by the image quality. Can't wait until its all done!
post #750 of 2843 Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have one brand new, unopened. If you're interested, PM me. I live in Potomac, MD but can ship also.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page