Reviews of Marantz VP4001? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
a cut and paste from PJ central for the sharp xv-z3000 which perform in quite a similar fashion for all intents and purpose:

>>
Performance
The Z3000 is rated at 1200 ANSI lumens. While many projectors do not come close to their rated lumen specifications in video mode, the Z3000 measured 1146 ANSI lumens in its brightest mode (Movie 1 mode, BrilliantColor set to 2, iris at High Brightness, and lamp on high). Even with these settings, video quality was remarkably good - so if you need the Z3000 to double as a Sunday football party projector, it is certainly capable of it. Brightness uniformity was a respectable 87%. If 1200 lumens is too bright for your viewing environment, setting the lamp to low mode drops light output by 20% to 924 ANSI lumens. And for a completely darkened room, we were able to produce a rich, high contrast image by shutting down the iris and turning down BrilliantColor. At these settings our test unit produced 352 ANSI lumens--ideal for a high contrast image in a darkened space.
<<

assuming you have a 92" screen then the vp4001 would a light cannon in even eco mode when full brightness settings are used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

one other thing - if you go to youtube and type in xv-z3000 you will see a video where some dutch guys do a side by side comparisson with an HD1000u. there's even a little bit of soft pRon in the video...

it's not bad to give you an idea since the lighting is far less than perfect and you can see how significantly the z3000 outperforms the hd1000 where color is concerned.
post #93 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousygolfer View Post

Thanks, but I was looking for a response that was a bit more specific to actual projectors and circumstances than "If it is, it is. If it isn't, it isn't." Also, since manufacturer's lumens ratings don't have any particular correlation with a fixed standard, saying "If x is enough, buy it" doesn't help when "x" is an unknown variable.

As confirmed above, if 1200 lumens is enough for your afternoon sports in YOUR environment, great. Only you can decide to what extent you can control your ambient light during normal viewing hours of sports.

I never said "if it is, it is and if it isn't, it isn't". What I said was if the fL of this projector meets your needs, you wont be disappointed. If it doesnt, then you will be.

Check here for recommended ambient light and such:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mara...ulator-pro.htm
post #94 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 PM

gbrnole, thank you very much for that quote - that is just the sort of helpful information I was looking for when I made my post. Given that in the world of projectors, most specs are so non-uniform as to be almost arbitrary and given that in most areas it is almost impossible to find popular projectors on display, let alone be able to compare them directly in a properly setup setting, this kind of information is very useful and much appreciated.

Pratticus, you are right and I stand humbly corrected. You never said "half dozen" - you said "six."
post #95 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Let's move on from the passive agression, please.

This thread was made to get factual information about the VP4001 that is sorely lacking on the internet for this great piece of equipment.

So far, there are only a few of us that have the projector and can give the facts, which I have numerous times throughout the thread.
post #96 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Ok, you call it passive-aggressive, I call it an attempt to point out, in a somewhat tactful fashion, the rather pointlessly nonresponsive nature of your reply to my inquiry and the tiresomeness of the semantics game you are playing. I will refrain from further comment of a non-substantive nature.

Since I may be buying one of these Marantzs in the next day or so, perhaps I will be able to participate more fully in discussions about this projector in the next several weeks.
post #97 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousygolfer View Post

Since I may be buying one of these Marantzs in the next day or so, perhaps I will be able to participate more fully in discussions about this projector in the next several weeks.

Let us know how you make out. We are still waiting on a few people that have also pulled the trigger for their subjective reviews.
post #98 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM

Liked: 53
The 4805 and 4001 are about equal for brightness in their best picture quality mode. High contrast, closed iris, low power. I'd give the edge to the 4001 but I bet the difference is less than 100 lumens, both are probably near 300 lumens. I can check some calibration results later. But, the 4001's adjustable iris and bright modes can be used for ambient light viewing where room conditions are not conducive to viewing the highest contrast anyways. This makes the 4001 much more versatile. It is at least twice as bright as the 4805 in their brightest modes.

BTW, I have seen the Sharp 3000 and 4001 and I can't tell any picture or physical differences between them except case color. The menus are identical. There might be some tweaks to the firmware and some quality picking of components but if they are not the same machine they are VERY close. After each is calibrated I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Bob
post #99 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

After each is calibrated I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

I don't know what other 4001 owners have experienced, but I can say that I played around with mine for a couple of hours using DVE and could not see any marked difference after 2 hours of fidgeting versus how it was set from the factory.

This is not to say a professional ISF couldn't pull out some more PQ, but that costs a couple hundred bucks.

Is the experience from the Z3000 the same out of the box?
post #100 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, I have seen the Sharp 3000 and 4001 and I can't tell any picture or physical differences between them except case color. The menus are identical. There might be some tweaks to the firmware and some quality picking of components but if they are not the same machine they are VERY close. After each is calibrated I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Bob

Bob, are you sure it was the VP4001 and not the DT-500? From what I have seen, there are physical differences in the casing other than the color. The VP4001 has a circular top where the controls are and the XV-Z3000 has a rectangle top. Also, I believe the back is also different.

===================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #101 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Here's some pics I snapped using finding nemo on my oppo upscaled to 720p and the menu of bioshock:

http://picasaweb.google.com/zerodeef...ey=OZd0THbLpfc
post #102 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Those look great, ZD.

Is Nemo in HD in those shots?
post #103 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post

Those look great, ZD.

Is Nemo in HD in those shots?

Nope! Regular DVD from my Oppo 971H over 720p

I'm thinking of selling it and getting an HD-DVD drive and just using my PC as a monster. Haven't decided which way to go yet, though.
post #104 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Okay Nemo is nice, but let's get some pics of something a bit more intriguing, like for instance Emmy Rossum as "Christine" in her neglige in the Phantom's Lair. Actually, just about any clip from POTA would be fine, but if you are going to post one, it might as well be that one. I have found that the lair scenes can, with the right projector, have some amazing pop. Of course, HD-DVD or Blu-ray would be preferable if you have it.

Oh, and on a sad note, my digital camera's battery cover just broke. It's not easily fixable, so I doubt that I will be able to post pics. I'll try to borrow someone's for when I get my PJ, hopefully in a few days.
post #105 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone with this machine, do you know what processor it uses?

How well does it deal with judder?

Does it correctly hande the 1080i de-interlacing (or does that not even matter on a 720p pj)?

Lastly, if either Tradewinds or Pratticus is sensitive to RBE, do you see them on the Marantz?

I still see them on my 4x color wheel Mits HC3000, although less frequently than on my old Sharp PG-MX20, which is presently suffering from an inexplicable color failure or something (bulb only had 540 hours on it and is still very bright).
post #106 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone point me to where the best deals on this projector are?

Thanks
post #107 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Lastly, if either Tradewinds or Pratticus is sensitive to RBE, do you see them on the Marantz?

Luckily, I cannot see RBE. I don't know if my GF can see them or not, but she has never complained of it, so I assume not.

Actually, I lied. On a black and white image, if I "spasm" my eyes left and right while trying to focus on the image I do see an RGB separation. I don't know if that's RBE or not, but I have to work to get it to happen.
post #108 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooper View Post

Can someone point me to where the best deals on this projector are?

Thanks

Looks like they have dried up.

BTW - I am not susceptible to SDE.

|
|
post #109 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Okay Nemo is nice, but let's get some pics of something a bit more intriguing, like for instance Emmy Rossum as "Christine" in her neglige in the Phantom's Lair. Actually, just about any clip from POTA would be fine, but if you are going to post one, it might as well be that one. I have found that the lair scenes can, with the right projector, have some amazing pop. Of course, HD-DVD or Blu-ray would be preferable if you have it.

Oh, and on a sad note, my digital camera's battery cover just broke. It's not easily fixable, so I doubt that I will be able to post pics. I'll try to borrow someone's for when I get my PJ, hopefully in a few days.

Hooking up my PC tonight. I'll show everyone bioshock the way it was supposed to be. Along with possibly some HD content if I have time to scrounge some up.
post #110 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Pratticus, that is the RBE that you saw. It is most evident on black and white film, next on very high contrast, fast motion scenes. It looks like a vertical flash of 3 colors. When it is really bad, you get multiple flashes all at once, as in everywhere on the screen.

However, do yourself and your GF a favor, do not look for it, and do not teach her how to see it.

Well, I'll cross my fingers and hope I don't see it with Marantz's 5x 6 segment wheel. Should not be worse than the Mits 4x wheel I have.

BTW, anyone seen Babel? I just got done watching that movie... long and wierd. I think I got the point, but I wish I had those 2 hours plus back of my life!
post #111 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Liked: 53
The 4001, and Sharp-3000 and 500 all have the same back panel. The 4001 and 3000 have the same specs, same throw, same manual, etc. Minor case aesthetic differences. The 500 is the lower contrast version with different iris system.

Bob
post #112 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:

The 4805 and 4001 are about equal for brightness in their best picture quality mode. High contrast, closed iris, low power. I'd give the edge to the 4001 but I bet the difference is less than 100 lumens, both are probably near 300 lumens. I can check some calibration results later. But, the 4001's adjustable iris and bright modes can be used for ambient light viewing where room conditions are not conducive to viewing the highest contrast anyways. This makes the 4001 much more versatile. It is at least twice as bright as the 4805 in their brightest modes.

Bob

Thanks BobL and tradewinds for the info. and comparison. In video mode the low vs high lumens on the 4805 is around 100 between them and I can hardly tell the difference when I switch it to high. It is not a dramatic difference.

I guess the biggest difference is in contrast and better optics for a sharper picture, which it should be since it is 6500:1 vs 2500:1. (VP4001/SP4805) I like the vp4001 but just not sure on the TI scaler and if it supports vertical strecth like the 4805 for a 2:35 AR setup. I am thinking of adding a PJ for either a bigger screen (106/120) or a 131" 2:35 setup. And whatever PJ I add I want it to be better than the 4805 in black level but as bright as well. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.
post #113 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Boooo... I spoke to soon. My mount is going to be too far back where it is. I'll have to move it at least 1.5 feet closer. I'm pretty sure my HDMI cable will reach, but not so sure about my components (which I never use, but the previous owner that I bought this pj (and house) from only used component. I figure that they will come in handy.... some day.
post #114 of 2843 Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

My reading of the manual is that this pj does not have the ability to do vertical stretch on its own. It has a zoom function, but not in 720p or 1080i, and I think not only will you lose some of the picture for lower rez sources, but I think the aspect ratio will be off somewhat and not go back to normal with the lens. I suppose that it is possible that there is a feature that the manual does not discuss, but I would not count on it. I play around when I get mine, but I don't have a lens, so I'll have to be guessing at what I think looks close.

If you have a HTPC though, your problem will be solved (at least for DVDs).
post #115 of 2843 Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 AM

Pls recommend some online places I can buy this. ubid doesnt have any at the moment and i would like to avoid that other auction place.

Thanks.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #116 of 2843 Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

musicdirect has them at the next best price.

|
|
post #117 of 2843 Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 AM

Well I have chosen this projector to replace my Panny AE700. The Panny has been a faithful friend and a satisfying first time PJ.
My friend who has matched me step by step in our home theater evolutions--lol---now has theSharp xv3000 and its pretty amazing.
According to everyone here the Marantz will be at the least-equal to or better than the Sharp. I would like to believe the optics and dmd chip are Marantz exclusives.

I will be recieving it in the next few days---projecting 106"on a 1.3 gain screen. A good calibrated setting would be great as a starting point in this thread
post #118 of 2843 Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I would think that the DMD chip is the same as the Sharp (assuming the Sharp is also using DC3). The optics should be the major difference (assuming it really is a Konica/Minolta lens). There could be some processing tweaks as well, and there may be less color wheel noise. That said, from an image perspective, in all likelihood what you will get with the Marantz over the Sharp will be 3 year warranty. What you can reasonably hope for is better optics, which is no small thing. I can see some very slight chromatic aberration on my Mits, and it irks me to no end. I am eager to test out the Marantz when it arrives.
post #119 of 2843 Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON52 View Post

A good calibrated setting would be great as a starting point in this thread

I think it comes pretty well calibrated. Not anything I could change that would be better. I was going to wait for the bulb to get about 200 hours before taking a look at the calibration disks again.

|
|
post #120 of 2843 Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON52 View Post

now has theSharp xv3000 and its pretty amazing.

Can you elaborate on what is amazing for others who are contemplating getting these.

BTW - I couldn't agree more.

Thanks.

|
|
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page