Reviews of Marantz VP4001? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2843 Old 08-31-2007, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Add another 6 3/4" to 10 5/8" from the ceiling from where your lens center will be. That will be where the top of your picture will end up. The default distance (if you don't use any digital picture shift) would be 8 3/4". so using the default, the top of your picture would be 6' 3 3/4". You might consider flush mounting if this is too low for you. You won't gain much, but a few inches could be important.

Note, you might be just an inch or two too far back, but test before moving your mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2843 Old 08-31-2007, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CONGRATULATIONS----you sound as excited as I am---great deal for this pj. I'm looking forward to being blown away by the picture quality----I paid 3200 Canadian for my Panny AE700 with cheap screen 2 and a half years ago---this seems bargain basement pricing to me---WOOHOOO.
Next will be a HD player and and and----it never ends---lol
post #183 of 2843 Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

Add another 6 3/4" to 10 5/8" from the ceiling from where your lens center will be. That will be where the top of your picture will end up. The default distance (if you don't use any digital picture shift) would be 8 3/4". so using the default, the top of your picture would be 6' 3 3/4". You might consider flush mounting if this is too low for you. You won't gain much, but a few inches could be important.

Note, you might be just an inch or two too far back, but test before moving your mount.

Thanks Chexi1. Its is too bad that this is not a zero offset PJ. Stupid low ceilings! Because i am in a rental and the ceiling in painted an off color that would be hard to duplicate, I have to use some type of wall mount. It is very hard to find a wall mount that you can flush mount a PJ to the ceiling. I will keep looking.

bdbaba
post #184 of 2843 Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Boo. Mine is still in cc processing too, and it's after hours for their credit department. I even have my 2nd ship addressed fully authorized as an alternate address with my cc company. I have had mixed results with Ubid in the past, and with this one, more bad than good. I do have to say, my Marantz receiver that I got for slightly less than half retail is still going strong though. They did screw me on speakers once though, only sending me 1 of 2 fronts and never being able to find another front speaker to match. The way they did not resolve that issue still irks me. On the otherhand, I did make them take a monitor back once that had some dead pixels, and I did get them to pay for all of the shipping (to and from) as well. Many threats were required for that one though.

Aloha Chexi1,

This thread has gone cold. Hopefully because everyone is happily watching their Marantz with complete satisfaction.

Well, I went ahead--right or wrong--and bought this to tide me over until a short throw 1080p DLP comes out for sub $1500.

Chex--have you received yours yet? What is the verdict? Also, how long did it take for you to finally get it after you bought it? I am in the dreaded credit card processing stage over at the U.

Thanks,

bdbaba
post #185 of 2843 Old 09-03-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Call them, bdbaba. That merchant is EXTREMELY slow with CC stuff, especially if you make your shiiping and billing addresses different.
post #186 of 2843 Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

so i joined the club, kinda - picked myself up an xv-z3000
post #187 of 2843 Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I had to call to get the ball moving. Once I called, the item was changed to "sent to warehouse" for 1 day, then shipped last thing the next day. I should have it by Wednesday after Labor Day. I will give my best subjective review shortly thereafter. Total time from winning to receiving would then be almost 2 weeks.
post #188 of 2843 Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

I really think this PJ would work for me. I'm not understanding the whole offset thing. I own a LCD (Sanyo Z4) and am used to lens shift. Its mounted 10' back. Screen is 92". Whats weird is I can find throw distance stats all day long on the internet but this offset thing really confuses me and I have read some posts on AVS too.

So If i put this PJ in the same place am I going to have to do a drop tube? this doesn't work for me if so
post #189 of 2843 Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

I really think this PJ would work for me. I'm not understanding the whole offset thing. I own a LCD (Sanyo Z4) and am used to lens shift. Its mounted 10' back. Screen is 92". Whats weird is I can find throw distance stats all day long on the internet but this offset thing really confuses me and I have read some posts on AVS too.

So If i put this PJ in the same place am I going to have to do a drop tube? this doesn't work for me if so

According to the manual, and if by 92" you mean 92" diagonal 16:9, this would yield a 6.5" distance from lens center to top/bottom of screen. This can be adjusted by about 1 7/16" up and down using an image shift in the menus.

How tall is your ceiling, what is the drop range of your mount, and how far do you want the center of the projected image from the ceiling or floor?

Also, the throw suitable at 92" 16:9 is from 109 3/8" (9'1 3/8") to 126 1/2" (10'6 1/2").

Hope this helps!
post #190 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had to call to get the ball moving. Once I called, the item was changed to "sent to warehouse" for 1 day, then shipped last thing the next day. I should have it by Wednesday after Labor Day. I will give my best subjective review shortly thereafter. Total time from winning to receiving would then be almost 2 weeks.

Two Weeks! I guess I will call tomorrow to see if i can get the ball rolling. Since I am in Hawaii, I only had the two day shipping option--$113--ouch!!! This would bum me out if I had to pay for two day shipping and it still takes two weeks to get to me.

I hope you get yours soon!

Much aloha,

bdbaba
post #191 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post

According to the manual, and if by 92" you mean 92" diagonal 16:9, this would yield a 6.5" distance from lens center to top/bottom of screen. This can be adjusted by about 1 7/16" up and down using an image shift in the menus.

How tall is your ceiling, what is the drop range of your mount, and how far do you want the center of the projected image from the ceiling or floor?

Also, the throw suitable at 92" 16:9 is from 109 3/8" (9'1 3/8") to 126 1/2" (10'6 1/2").

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your response. Ceiling is 8 ft. I would want the mount to be as close to the ceiling as possible as I sit 15 ft. back. I don't know why this is hard for me to understand. I am at a total loss here.
post #192 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with the U. They said I passed my Credit card inspection and am on the way to the warehouse. She said it should ship within 48 hours. Phew!
post #193 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 12:54 PM

I was curious about the warranty so I sent an e-mail last night to Marantz. This morning I didn't get a single response......I got TWO, two separate e-mails!

"Yes, they are authorized for that model You will have the full warranty"

and

"UBID is an authorized dealer so the 3 year warranty is in effect..."

Awesome. Now the big decision. Reliable VP4001 w/ the $450 bulb or sketchy Samsung SP-H710AE w/ the $250 bulb or, safe Mitsubishi HC1500 w/ $400 bulb.

All similarly priced. All probably going to look better than the 4805 it is replacing. They all seem reasonably quiet, it will probably come down to best fit for my ceiling and screen.

Going to be a hard decision for me, I love the 3 year warranty, but I also love the $200 bulb.
post #194 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juser View Post

...They all seem reasonably quiet, it will probably come down to best fit for my ceiling and screen.

Going to be a hard decision for me, I love the 3 year warranty, but I also love the $200 bulb...

If the fan noise is similar to the Sharp XV-Z3000 (which bears a lot of semblance with VP4001), then this could be louder especially for a short-throw projection and/or atleast in brighter modes. Whether the image quality alone would outweigh susceptibility to this fan noise, the cost of the replacement bulb in future and the placement options is an individual matter.
post #195 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I was curious about the warranty so I sent an e-mail last night to Marantz. This morning I didn't get a single response......I got TWO, two separate e-mails!

"Yes, they are authorized for that model You will have the full warranty"

and

"UBID is an authorized dealer so the 3 year warranty is in effect..."

Awesome. Now the big decision. Reliable VP4001 w/ the $450 bulb or sketchy Samsung SP-H710AE w/ the $250 bulb or, safe Mitsubishi HC1500 w/ $400 bulb.

All similarly priced. All probably going to look better than the 4805 it is replacing. They all seem reasonably quiet, it will probably come down to best fit for my ceiling and screen.

Going to be a hard decision for me, I love the 3 year warranty, but I also love the $200 bulb.

I would eliminate the Mits and decide between the Marantz or the Sammy. You would be leaving too much perfomance on the table if you went with the Mits.
post #196 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Decision might have been made for me, looks like they are out of stock again.
post #197 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Decision might have been made for me, looks like they are out of stock again.

I would keep checking the site periodically. It seems that they keep putting them up. I thought the same thing the other day. They were not up on the site for a few days, then they popped up again. I bet they will have more.

Just checked my email and my unit shipped! Woo Hoo! That was fast. Gotta love the U. when they are firing on all cylinders!

Even though I do not have them anymore, I can see how this unit compared in memory at least to the Sharp XV-Z3K and the Sharp XV-Z12K--and of course to my Panny AE900U that will soon go up on ebay shortly.

Aloha,

bdbaba
post #198 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigesh View Post

If the fan noise is similar to the Sharp XV-Z3000 (which bears a lot of semblance with VP4001), then this could be louder especially for a short-throw projection and/or atleast in brighter modes. Whether the image quality alone would outweigh susceptibility to this fan noise, the cost of the replacement bulb in future and the placement options is an individual matter.

The Sammy is 28 and the Marantz is 30. Both rated in eco-mode. Not sure you will notice much difference there. I can only speak for the Marantz, the image quality alone does far outweigh any noise. This PJ does not have the color wheel noise as the 4805.

My thoughts about replacement bulb is, if you do not get a bad bulb, by the time the 3000 hrs is up, it might be time to look at new PJs and maybe the bulbs will be $200. Not sure why everyone is so stuck on bulb costs at this point. If you fear a premature bulb failure, then buy a bulb warranty.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #199 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 06:09 PM

I got my 4001 hooked up today!!!

I have it projected in a light controlled enviroment ~12' a approx. 100" wide on a WALL...painted grey(primer)!!

The pictures is simply incredible. I've never owned a projector before but have had a 65" Mit rear projection(HD) for 3-4 years and this Marantz blows it away.

Right out of the box the picture is stunning! I can't imagine it better with a screen. All I had to do is the image shift.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good screen that fits this projector and doesn't cost a fortune? I 'm leaning towards the Carada Screen, but I don't know which one to buy. Heck..I may just Goo the wall!

Noise level(db) isn't bad at all...in fact, I don't know it's on when I have any sound coming out of my speakers. I sit on the front row and directly under the projector(~12-13'). Unless you're watching silent movies I see no issues.

I've seen the Sharp 3000 in Magnolia(Best Buy) and there's a big difference in these projectors or there was something wrong with their projector...no comparision. I'm a newbie so maybe it's just me, but I will say this...

the guy that helped me install this projector(he's more of a audio guy but does projectors installs for time to time), was blown away by the picture for what I paid for it.

I've got a buddy who recently purchased the Opto hd70 and the picture quality is night and day. I called him up today and told him when he see's this picture he is going to be pissed!

Thank you for recommending this projector!
post #200 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

..Not sure why everyone is so stuck on bulb costs at this point. If you fear a premature bulb failure, then buy a bulb warranty.

I don't think anyone would decide against buying VP4001 solely because of the bulb costs as it's like not enjoying the life because of worries of death that potentially could happen any time to anybody. Besides, as you said, there's always an option for buying an extra bulb warranty. However, when someone is in the market for a projector, there's nothing wrong in making a list of trade-offs and then selecting the one that would have the least painful trade-offs (without justifying the decision to others as it can be a personal subjective matter).
post #201 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post

I got my 4001 hooked up today!!!

I have it projected in a light controlled enviroment ~12' a approx. 100" wide on a WALL...painted grey(primer)!!

The pictures is simply incredible. I've never owned a projector before but have had a 65" Mit rear projection(HD) for 3-4 years and this Marantz blows it away.

Right out of the box the picture is stunning! I can't imagine it better with a screen. All I had to do is the image shift.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good screen that fits this projector and doesn't cost a fortune? I 'm leaning towards the Carada Screen, but I don't know which one to buy. Heck..I may just Goo the wall!

Noise level(db) isn't bad at all...in fact, I don't know it's on when I have any sound coming out of my speakers. I sit on the front row and directly under the projector(~12-13'). Unless you're watching silent movies I see no issues.

I've seen the Sharp 3000 in Magnolia(Best Buy) and there's a big difference in these projectors or there was something wrong with their projector...no comparision. I'm a newbie so maybe it's just me, but I will say this...

the guy that helped me install this projector(he's more of a audio guy but does projectors installs for time to time), was blown away by the picture for what I paid for it.

I've got a buddy who recently purchased the Opto hd70 and the picture quality is night and day. I called him up today and told him when he see's this picture he is going to be pissed!

Thank you for recommending this projector!

Congratulation on the PJ. I don't think many people still realize exactly what this PJ is capable of. It is not the first time I have heard an installer who has seen the gamut of PJs, be blown away at the PQ. I think the lens makes the world of difference.

Glad to know you are one of a few who has seen this and an XV-Z3000 to give a comparative opinion. The guys at Marantz kept telling me this is not the XV-Z3000 but others here keep saying it basically is, so this information is very useful since I would have expected many more people to have had the XV-Z3000 in the past year.

post #202 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there's nothing wrong in making a list of trade-offs and then selecting the one that would have the least painful trade-offs (without justifying the decision to others as it can be a personal subjective matter).

Nothing wrong with it at all. I scratched the Ruby off my list immediately after finding out the replacement cost of the bulb. The main reason for that is with a PJ like that, most likely one may choose to keep it around for a while.

post #203 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone would decide against buying VP4001 solely because of the bulb costs as it's like not enjoying the life because of worries of death that potentially could happen any time to anybody. Besides, as you said, there's always an option for buying an extra bulb warranty. However, when someone is in the market for a projector, there's nothing wrong in making a list of trade-offs and then selecting the one that would have the least painful trade-offs (without justifying the decision to others as it can be a personal subjective matter).

I don't want to have to worry about the kids leaving the projector on, or what to do when I need a $400 bulb for a $700 projector. I would love more information on how to get a bulb warranty on VP4001.

What is important to me is to a have a quiet projector with an excellent picture that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is easy to use. I don't want to have to use 3 remotes to switch between DVD and HD to get the best picture. I have a pretty nice setup (carpet, dark paint, couch, lighting) but is a family room and not a theater.

(sorry for the rant)
post #204 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACDADDY View Post

..I've seen the Sharp 3000 in Magnolia(Best Buy) and there's a big difference in these projectors or there was something wrong with their projector...no comparision....

Congratulations on new PJ..

Based on the table given on Page 44 of Marantz VP4001 and Sharp XV-Z3000 manuals, the default picture mode settings are not the same. Marantz has color temperature balanced to 6500K for all picture modes; while Sharp has it set to 7500K for all modes except the Movie1 and Movie2 modes. A user, however, can select D65 in Sharp; but default or all modes except as mentioned above is 7500K. Gamma curves may also be non-identical (not sure; just a possibility) between the two.
post #205 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I would love more information on how to get a bulb warranty on VP4001.

Mack, Warrantek, Repairmaster,...(google) provide post-purchase (within some time period, say, within 30 days of projector purchase) lamp warranties..No personal experience about any possible hassles of getting it honored though.
post #206 of 2843 Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Aloha,

Could one of you guys that has one of these already let me know how many inches from the far side to the center of the lens? If you could just measure from the left side of the PJ to the center of the lens--if that makes any sense. Of course, maybe if you could measure how far to the center of the lens from the center of the PJ, that might be better.

I am trying to see where I need to put the mount so the lens is center screen.

Thanks so much!

bdbaba
post #207 of 2843 Old 09-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Aloha,

Could one of you guys that has one of these already let me know how many inches from the far side to the center of the lens? If you could just measure from the left side of the PJ to the center of the lens--if that makes any sense. Of course, maybe if you could measure how far to the center of the lens from the center of the PJ, that might be better.

I am trying to see where I need to put the mount so the lens is center screen.

Thanks so much!

bdbaba

Never mind. Found it in the manual online. For anyone interested.

http://us.marantz.com/DFU_VP4001_Final_eng.pdf

bdbaba
post #208 of 2843 Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have a phone number for Marantz? I am afraid of buying it and it not working out because of the offset. I don't seem to understand whether or not it will work out for me. Again: Will be ceiling mounted 10' back. Ceilling is only 8' high. Screen is 92". I need the PJ to be no more than 6" from the ceiling as I sit 15' back.
post #209 of 2843 Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have a phone number for Marantz? I am afraid of buying it and it not working out because of the offset...

http://us.marantz.com/AboutUs/75.asp

Quote:

..I don't seem to understand whether or not it will work out for me. Again: Will be ceiling mounted 10' back. Ceilling is only 8' high. Screen is 92". I need the PJ to be no more than 6" from the ceiling as I sit 15' back.

Page E-20 of the manual (see bdbaba's post above for the link) has a table. The column captioned as "Distance from the center of the lense to the bottom of the image [H]" could help you to understand the projection location for a given diagonal size and the throw (projection) distance. If I am not mis-reading the chart, looks doable to me based on your numbers; though for a 6" distance between the projector and your ceiling, picture projection may be at some height (assuming inverted projector poisition with "Ceiling + Front" setting as mentioned on Page E-49) instead of at the center of the wall with the screen. Those with this projector mounted, correct me if I am wrong in above estimates.
post #210 of 2843 Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 AM

I haven't yet been able to find a side or bottom image of this projector. Does the fan vent towards one side? Where is air intake?

Thanks,

Warren
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page