Reviews of Marantz VP4001? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, try as I might, I can't find much in the way of reviews for this PJ.

Can anyone give me their impressions on this unit?

I am looking for a sub-1500$ PJ that is 720p, nice black levels, DLP (preferred) and can support a screen size of 96" 16x9 diagonal at a throw of no more than 10.5 feet.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a second one for my in-laws since after seeing mine they could not stomach the Epson they had. This is an excellent PJ. I originally did not set out even looking at Marantz (too high price), but after looking at the Sharp XV-Z3000, the VP4001 looked similar and was stated to be a re-badged of the Sharp. I later found out that it has some important differences and that is why the PQ is superb.

I am not sure how much of what I know (found out) I should reveal here since I promised the Marantz people I would not disclose what they told me. One person there got scolded for telling me the true specifics. The two most important differences is the optics and lens and the DMD. The reason they could not advertise it as such is because they did not pay to use the branding. Hint, believe them when they state this PJ is based on VP11S1 technology. I am not sure where this blog got the true specs when it was released, but it aligns with what I was told. I guess they had to drop some of the references since then.

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...tz_vp4001.html

So what it looks like is that they took the Sharp and improved upon it in key areas since they did get help from Sharp for this product. They intended to sell it at 4K but could not differentiate it from the Sharp because of the lack of branding rights of key components to justify the higher price tag.

All I can say is this is the best PQ I have seen and it is a solid PJ.

===================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, tradewinds.

To put things in perspective for me, have you owned other projectors? How does the black level, CR & PQ compare to others that you have owned?

Oh also, I am getting mixed reports - is it DC2 or DC3?
post #4 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratticus View Post

Thanks for the reply, tradewinds.

To put things in perspective for me, have you owned other projectors? How does the black level, CR & PQ compare to others that you have owned?

Oh also, I am getting mixed reports - is it DC2 or DC3?

I have owned the 4805, seen the Epson 400, HD1000U, HD70. The black level is excellent, excellent shadow detail, and the PQ is amazing and has a great 3D effect. There is no comparison. Great thing is it works great for movies and sports since it has the lumens also with the dual iris. The official word is that it is a TI 720p DLP chip, but after searching and speaking to Marantz and also installers, it appears to be a HD2+ DC3. Is there a way to look at a chip to know what it is? I was tempted to open up the PJ to look at it if it is easy to see.

Trying to find this all out was like pulling teeth. Not much info about this PJ at all. I just think Marantz does not know how to market a PJ at this price point since to save some cost they apparently could not advertized the brand names of the components since they did not pay to do so.

|
|
post #5 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

From my calculations, I have arrived at a screen with a gain of 1.0 to 1.1. What gain do you have?

Any pictures of the unit in action and your installation would be wonderful.
post #6 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I would be building a Designer White with is about 1.3 for 100"-102", even 106" not sure just yet.

Stay tuned for pics. I was planning on providing some one I get the PJ mounted and the screen set-up.

|
|
post #7 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 10:07 AM

I'm not positive, but I think it is the same chip that is in the Samsung 710, so not DC3.
post #8 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

When I asked specifically about that, the person at Marantz gave an indirect answer and hinted to the VP11S1. Also, not sure if the image processor is that one too. There are a lot of places I found also stating it is a HD2+ DC3. They advertize it as:

Marantz VP4001 High Def DLP Projector - High Def 1280X768 HD2+ DC3 DMD - 6500:1 Contrast Ratio - 1200 ANSI lumens Brightness - X1.15 Zoom Range - 2000 hour long life 275W SHP lamp - RS232C Connection system - DC Trigger output - HDMI/Dual Compnent inputs.

An installer I spoke to said he was looking at a spec sheet that stated the HD2+ DC3. If this is what is written on the chip and easy to see I would like to have a look to confirm.

|
|
post #9 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA View Post

I'm not positive, but I think it is the same chip that is in the Samsung 710, so not DC3.

I believe the chip in Samsung is 1280x720. Marantz is 1280x768. Its different.

I am thinking about this Marantz as well. The only thing that's putting me off is the warranty (if bought from ebay) and ebay is the place where its cheap... Retail shops are selling it around $2000.

tradewinds: Do know of any extended warranty other than Squaretrade? Or any other retailer selling the lamps for it? I want to get covered at least on the lamp. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Manoj
post #10 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

Hint, believe them when they state this PJ is based on VP11S1 technology.

What 11S1 tech might that be?

The lens are totally different! Just the Konica-Minolta in the 11S1 cost more than the street price of the entire VP4001!
The DMD and drive chips are totally different.
The video processing chips are totally different.
Even the cases are totally different!

Most importantly the VP4001 is a rebadged Sharp 3000.
post #11 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

The lens are totally different! Just the Konica-Minolta in the 11S1 cost more than the street price of the entire VP4001!
The DMD and drive chips are totally different.
The video processing chips are totally different.
Even the cases are totally different!

From what they told me, the optics, the DMD and a few other components are not the same as the Sharp 3000, therefore it is not a Sharp 3000 re badge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Most importantly the VP4001 is a rebadged Sharp 3000.

Where did you get your facts from? I think this has got to be the biggest misconception. I originally thought so, but after I saw the PQ, I started to ask questions.

Note, it is based on the technology of the 11S1, no one stated it is the same as the 11S1.

One thing you will notice with this PJ, is the razor sharpness of the optics and lens.

|
|
post #12 of 2843 Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

tradewinds: Do know of any extended warranty other than Squaretrade? Or any other retailer selling the lamps for it? I want to get covered at least on the lamp. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

I do not think the warranty will be a problem so I have not bothered to get an extended one. Also, I have not yet looked into lamps as yet.

|
|
post #13 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 05:12 AM

I just Bought the marantz on ubid for 1000.00 with the 3yr warranty and all i can say is WOW the Contrast just floored me. DVD's are razor sharp and HD thru MYHD 130 QAM card is Spectacular. I also Owned the panasonic L300u Lcd Projector And The difference Is like night and Day. The Dlp Technology in this projector is simply Amazing.
post #14 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 AM

Liked: 11
Does thos FP have lens shift of any type.Whats is the throw range also.THANKS BOB
post #15 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceh41 View Post

I just Bought the marantz on ubid for 1000.00 with the 3yr warranty and all i can say is WOW the Contrast just floored me. DVD's are razor sharp and HD thru MYHD 130 QAM card is Spectacular. I also Owned the panasonic L300u Lcd Projector And The difference Is like night and Day. The Dlp Technology in this projector is simply Amazing.

That is excellent. My jaw is still on floor for about two weeks now. An amazing piece of technology indeed that has gone un-noticed partly due to lack of proper marketing and incorrect assumptions.

|
|
post #16 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Does the FP have lens shift of any type.Whats is the throw range also.THANKS BOB

It has about 48 pixels of image shift with 720p signals. It will do 1280 x 720 native so you have a small image shift available. It is short throw. Try the projector central calculator.

|
|
post #17 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceh41 View Post

Ceh41, did you confirm your 3yr warranty will be honored by Marantz if purchased from uBid?
post #18 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

It has about 48 pixels of image shift with 720p signals. It will do 1280 x 720 native so you have a small image shift available. It is short throw. Try the projector central calculator.

Thanks tradewins
Dam.Quess I have to pass again on DLP.Wish they could offer image shift even at a higher price,BOB
post #19 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I might be tempted.

Tradewinds,

Do you see rainbows on this thing ? Also can you pm me where you get yours ? Thanks.
post #20 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not see rainbows, but I am not susceptible to them. This has a 5x color wheel also, so much less of the population should be less susceptible than in the past. YMMV.

|
|
post #21 of 2843 Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Thanks tradewins
Dam.Quess I have to pass again on DLP.Wish they could offer image shift even at a higher price,BOB

Is your ceiling high? Mine is high too (10 feet) so I am getting a mountdirect mount with a varible extension. It would have been nice to get some more offset, but I would not trade the PQ and quality for anything out there at this price range. Period.

|
|
post #22 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Bought one off ubid for a pretty reasonable price then promptly emailed marantz customer support. One of their reps has confirmed that it is a TI DC3 in there. I'll ask about the optics and all that as well!
post #23 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This is an excellent PJ. You will enjoy it. From what I gathered, it is the same chip as in the Yamaha DPX-830.

|
|
post #24 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:

This is an excellent PJ. You will enjoy it. From what I gathered, it is the same chip as in the Yamaha DPX-830.

No clue, just that the rep flat out said it was a TI DC3, the optics are custom/better, they have RS232 control, and it's 6500K 2.2 gamma right out of the box. The rep also said the color accuracy will be comparable to being ISFed right out of the box. I'm going to reserve judgment until it gets here, but I can't help but be damned excited right now.
post #25 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Believe me, I am still blown away every time I turn mine's on. I have even had to order more for family members who just had to have one after they saw mine. I have not had to do any tweaking which is a shame since it has the calibration controls. Looks perfect out of the box. Getting specs from Marantz is like pulling teeth, the person at Marantz who told me about the DC3 and Konica/Minolta lens said he got into trouble for disclosing this information.

|
|
post #26 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Did you happen to ask CS if they would honor warranty from where you bought it? I am interested in it from where you got it since it would possibly work with my low (7.5') ceiling given it's low offset but the lack of a warranty would scare me off. I would probably go Epson 400 otherwise. I think this unit would throw a nicer picture though. Trying to make up my mind.
post #27 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt bham View Post

Did you happen to ask CS if they would honor warranty from where you bought it? I am interested in it from where you got it since it would possibly work with my low (7.5') ceiling given it's low offset but the lack of a warranty would scare me off. I would probably go Epson 400 otherwise. I think this unit would throw a nicer picture though. Trying to make up my mind.

Once I have the PJ in hand, I'll ask. Until I get the serial number, I don't want to go through the back and forth trying to figure out if the retailer is the real deal . The best way I've found out is always to go by serial number.

Tradewinds, where did you make your purchase?
post #28 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Oh, one other thing, is the consensus that this should be ceiling mounted? I was just going to put it on this table I have in the middle of the room. It's worked really well for my last few projectors since no one ever comes near the table when the PJ is on.
post #29 of 2843 Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be ceiling mounting mine, however I am still deciding between the Mountdirect NPL or the Perfectmounts Infinity. Perfect mounts claim their aluminum extends the bulb's life....no sure how true that is.

|
|
post #30 of 2843 Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:

I will be ceiling mounting mine, however I am still deciding between the Mountdirect NPL or the Perfectmounts Infinity. Perfect mounts claim their aluminum extends the bulb's life....no sure how true that is.

Are you allowed to let us know where you bought yours? I am wondering if my warranty is valid after purchasing from ubid?

I think I'll stick to table mounting it. The table never moves and it's the easiest solution.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp4001 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page