HELP! what to do when power outage occurs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-01-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, look like its time to go buy a computer power supply/backup for power surges in case this happens again; but what should I do when the power surges and goes out while using my projector..........obviously I am worried about the bulb and hope it didn't get destroyed.......anyone else have experinces with this? SHould I just wait a few hours to turn it back on ? How much damage do you guys think may have been done?

thanks in advance,

EC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-01-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc1 View Post

Hey guys, look like its time to go buy a computer power supply/backup for power surges in case this happens again; but what should I do when the power surges and goes out while using my projector..........obviously I am worried about the bulb and hope it didn't get destroyed.......anyone else have experinces with this? SHould I just wait a few hours to turn it back on ? How much damage do you guys think may have been done?

Hmm... considering I've powered off an Infocus X1 HARD by turning it suddenly off at a power bar DAILY since I got it almost 5 years ago, and the bulb is now at 5603 hours, I'd not worry about it too much

Always wait until your bulb cools completely before turning it back on though for best life IMO.

Skyhawk
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 PM

I recently aquired an APC - Smart UPS 700
with a big enough battery that should allow me to shut down my projector,
and have the fan run for as long as it needs to. I only have my Optoma HD80 on it,
and this thing will filter spikes etc...

)

PSN:Waltermixxx
Live:Whitby Wildcat
Shsssshshhhhhhhhh the movie's started....and it's in 3D...
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Liked: 11
Definitely get a UPS. I don't think that you need anything fancy, just something that puts out more watts than your projector uses. You don't need to worry about how "pure the sign wave" is while on backup power as it will only be using that power when the power goes out. The difference will be that you can shut down the projector properly which allows the bulb to cool down properly with the added benefit of good surge suppression and noise filtering.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 AM

Don't listen to the X1 users as gospel, for some reason the shutdown protocol is odd on them. A friend of mine had one, and it always freaked me out.

You don't need a pure sine wave output UPS, but one with AVR is recommended. Once the power goes out, you'll have plenty of time to shut it down correctly. The bulbs will be much happier; my house has crap power and i usually got 50% life out of my bulbs until i put an AVR UPS on it.

Of course, I'd REALLY like a diesel generator for my new house.. power goes out, and I can laugh from my air conditioned theater.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM

Obviously I will need to read the fine print and double check, but I called the insurance company for my apartment to inquire as to whether or not they would cover damage to my PJ from electrical issues. I explained the "cool down" on the PJ. They said they would cover damage. Once again, read the fine print.

May your DVDs last your lifetime
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page